Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana - Do you respect them?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Im sure this will ruffle a few feathers but what the hell. I've seen a good few posts on boards about the guards and problems people have with them. I have had nothing but unpleasant experiences with them. Anytime I am stopped in my car they are rude and seem to have some sort of attitude problem. Don't get me wrong I have met a few guards that are sound but in my opinion alot of them just seem to get off on abusing their powers and acting like a twat. The recent student protest is an example of this. My question is who respects the guards these days?

Do you respect the Guards? 404 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 404 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I do and proud of it! There is this attitude that in respecting them, one must/might be stuck-up/a prick/a holier than thou saint, etc... I'm far from perfect but I respect a group of people that are striding to give much needed aid in the midst of sometimes gunfire, deaths, pain and dismembered bodies to say the least.

That neighbour, relative or friend that has signed up to join, has simply said that they are willing to stand up, be counted upon and do/face what most of us would understandably shy away from sometimes.

Just because there is few rotten apples in every barrel - doesn't mean I intend to tarnish the whole barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Like any job, good ones and bad ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not a good way to start your second post on boards.

Just saying...
    Im sure this will ruffle a few feathers but what the hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As someone pointed out in another thread. I respect the Laws, not so much those that enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm not their biggest fan but respect has to be there for them. 2 of my cousins are Gardaì and it's interesting hearing the amount of shìte that they have to put up with.

That being said, I know a lot of wasters / weirdos who've joined the force and i find it quite un-nerving that they've been given power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Only if they're taller and older then me.

All the new guards are little and about 12 so its hard to take them seriously.

And some, dare i say it, are a little overweight, ar'nt they supposed to be fit as a fiddle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

yes, they have a terrible job at the best of times, I have to laugh at some people I know who "hate" the Garda and I always ask hem what is the first thing they would do if they got knocked down crossig the road??

I have so much respect for the Gardai of this country for the job they drag themselves out of bed for every day I wish I had trained myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Im sure this will ruffle a few feathers but what the hell. I've seen a good few posts on boards about the guards and problems people have with them. I have had nothing but unpleasant experiences with them. Anytime I am stopped in my car they are rude and seem to have some sort of attitude problem. Don't get me wrong I have met a few guards that are sound but in my opinion alot of them just seem to get off on abusing their powers and acting like a twat. The recent student protest is an example of this. My question is who respects the guards these days?

Small price to pay for the job they do. I've always felt one great way of keeping scumbags out of trouble was employing them as Garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dmac1989

Major respect for them and also think if people are acting the Bol*x they should have more power. a few slaps would go a miss. Ive seen plenty of people starting fights and smashing up bars, niteclubs...etc and then a guard gives them a sly dig while arresting them and they cry like babies. awh a guard assalted me. There is cleary one or two who abbuse power but if you show respect you will get it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i think you started this just to get view and comments but i will entertain the idea. yes i respect the gardai. event though some have given them a bad rep the vast majority are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hard to answer this with a yes or no i find. You will get some cops who are decent people just doing there job doing there best i would respect them as they respect me and other people they deal with.

Then theres the other ones who use there position as a way to just take the piss and abuse there powers. I have seen and been in many position like this in both cases so my answer would be no and yes it depends on the man/woman them selfs cause there not all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've never had any problems with the Gardai on the street. I did get arrested a few times, but I was young & dumb & there was good cause for it.

Had a serious problem with a superintendent a few years ago, but as Biggins said, a few rotten apples don't always spoil the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

In a Job/company.. That has near 20,000 members, obviously there will be some that have the odd attitude problem, have a bad day, and take it out on somebody.

Tell me any other job that will have so many employees, or "members" as they like to be called, that doesn't have at least one person that everyone knows is a right arsehole.

The first sign of trouble most people get, be it they had their home broken into, car stolen, assaulted, robbed, in an accident. First port of call is normally the Gardaí, so how someone can not respect a body that they call upon in their time of need just makes no sense.

I respect them and have no problem saying it, any dealings that I have needed the Gardaí be it with the job that I do or anything else, if you treat them with respect, You will get respect in return. The men and women of the Gardaí are only human after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Gardaí are alright for the most part.

Thing is, their job is essentially to be a professional killbuzz, so they're never really going to be that well-liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've never had any issues with them. Caught for speeding and a few traffic offences but they've always been courteous and civil.
    Might be some bad apples, in fact I'm sure of it, but in my experience they do a hard job and don't get enough credit for it (same goes for hospital staff and firemen).

In essence, respect them and they will respect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you have no respect for the Gardaí just take a second and think about who it was had to go into those two houses yesterday. Who it was had to go to inform the mother in Cork. Who it is everytime there is someone killed on the road who has to go break the news... and that's before you get around to dealing with the scummiest elements of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Mainly, they're simpletons.

e.g.:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My dad is retiring next month from 30 years in the guards so of course I'll have respect. Having known ALOT of guards in my life, the VAST majority are dead on, really nice people. I did meet one guard on a power trip as she made me and 12 other guys stand at a wall in the city centre to give out about someone kicking a bottle when it was none of us :confused:

But as said, not every guard will be good but the 99% I've dealt with, i'd happily deal with again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Turtyturd wrote: »
    As someone pointed out in another thread. I respect the Laws, not so much those that enforce them.
    I'd be kinda the opposite. I disagree with many aspects of the law but appreciate the guards are just doing their duty in enforcing them.

We had a lovely half ounce of weed taken off us by a plain-clothes Garda at a festival last summer. I think the law in this instance is retarded, but the copper was just doing his job by being a party pooper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Mainly, they're simpletons.

Don't confuse being simple with keeping things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

prinz wrote: »
    If you have no respect for the Gardaí just take a second and think about who it was had to go into those two houses yesterday. Who it was had to go to inform the mother in Cork. Who it is everytime there is someone killed on the road who has to go break the news... and that's before you get around to dealing with the scummiest elements of our society.

This.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and the job they do. I wouldn't do it, even if the wages were doubled (probably :pac:). I feel pretty much the same for all the frontline staff - ambulance operators, nurses, firemen etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Respect for the most part but have had a few unpleasent experiences. Most notably finding a guy passed out drunk, bringing him into the Gardai and getting told it's not a party and physically shoved out the door, followed by getting threatend with arrest if I didn't leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

tempura wrote: »
    Only if they're taller and older then me.

All the new guards are little and about 12 so its hard to take them seriously.

And some, dare i say it, are a little overweight, ar'nt they supposed to be fit as a fiddle ?

A little overweight? Some of them are obese!

I was in abrakebabra one evening and i saw two guards come in and order food and sign for it. They had an account there! How can you respect overweight guards that are meant to be fit and healthy?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Respect for the most part but have had a few unpleasent experiences. Most notably finding a guy passed out drunk, bringing him into the Gardai and getting told it's not a party and physically shoved out the door, followed by getting threatend with arrest if I didn't leave.

Why did you bring him to the Garda station? To have him arrested?

A little overweight? Some of them are obese!

I was in abrakebabra one evening and i saw two guards come in and order food and sign for it. They had an account there! How can you respect overweight guards that are meant to be fit and healthy?

The accounts are for prisoner meals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The only people who don't are intellectual dwarfs incapable of looking beyond their own silly radical fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've got more respect for Guards than I have for journalists, but not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

For the people that don't respect the Guards, who is it you call if someone was to break into your home and steal your possessions and threaten your family or attack a loved one on the street? The A Team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pyr0 wrote: »
    For the people that don't respect the Guards, who is it you call if someone was to break into your home and steal your possessions and threaten your family or attack a loved one on the street? The A Team?

I'd call the insurance man, at least I'd get a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement