Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

There is a planning application for an apartment to be built on the roof at the lower section at rear of the building, which would be hidden behind the outer wall. Although a look a the council website says they haven't been granted planning permission yet. Planning ref 2010.

ya its defintely on the upper section. and in full view from the street...

wouldnt be against it myself although thats a pretty dated building so id hope the exterior of the apt blends in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Is it a listed building?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

kilburn wrote: »
    Is it a listed building?
    I thought it was

sioda wrote:
    I thought it was

Wasn't it Ireton or Cromwells residence after the siege

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Could just be the building at the back I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

The building has been going on for weeks up on the roof.

Cherrycoke wrote:
    The building has been going on for weeks up on the roof.

So they are effectively breaching lockdown and building without planning for a number of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

who@s going to stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭mart 23

No Dick Devane;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Looks to be a fairly dodgy operation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

apc wrote: »
    who@s going to stop them

The Council, if they were proactive and took their responsibilities seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

So they are effectively breaching lockdown and building without planning for a number of weeks

I have seen the odd building work going on around the places (and if you were a single operation on an empty site and had the supplies why not ,i dont know if these works were single person or not?) and with all those road works that have been going on must mean there was some activity "allowed" .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

geotrig wrote: »
    I have seen the odd building work going on around the places (and if you were a single operation on an empty site and had the supplies why not ,i dont know if these works were single person or not?) and with all those road works that have been going on must mean there was some activity "allowed" .

Essential construction projects were exempt from the lockdown. As councils were an essential service, then any of their road projects, such as road resurfacing, were allowed to continue.

Personally I think the lockdown was too heavy handed. Things like roads building projects and external construction/demolition should have been allowed to continue (with the social distancing measures and other measures in place), as it did in other European countries. If there was to be amother lockdown, I don't think there would be the same blanket lockdown of everything. It would be more nuanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Essential construction projects were exempt from the lockdown. As councils were an essential service, then any of their road projects, such as road resurfacing, were allowed to continue.

Personally I think the lockdown was too heavy handed. Things like roads building projects and external construction/demolition should have been allowed to continue (with the social distancing measures and other measures in place), as it did in other European countries. If there was to be amother lockdown, I don't think there would be the same blanket lockdown of everything. It would be more nuanced.

The only construction deemed essential and thus allowed during the lockdown was that construction dealing with COVID-19 in the first instance, temp additions to hospitals and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The only construction deemed essential and thus allowed during the lockdown was that construction dealing with COVID-19 in the first instance, temp additions to hospitals and the like.

Actually there is more that was allowed and definitely essential, those with certain immediate needs like roofing, bathroom installation(if it's you're only bathroom), installation of a kitchen(if the other one is already gone). There were lots of similar ones where work had essentially begun. Maybe there's other examples as well.

I had work commence before the lockdown(day of really) which stopped and both trades cancelled/postponed on me. I have another bathroom so it's fine for us so have an en suite which is currently just a shell of plasterboard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Council road resurfacing works and other jobs such as street cleaning continued though the lockdown because local government and its services were also deemed essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jysk in Limerick have started booking Store Collections from the 2nd June so possibly they are going for a soft opening, guess they cannot do the whole Live95fm thing with baloons and ribbon cutting for now.
    https://jysk.ie/stores-and-opening-hours?store_id=I007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Amid all the doom and gloom, a bit of positive news - Rift have opened "The Larder" (seems to be a food hall) adjacent to their current premises on Mallow St. Unfortunate timing, but hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

Its so long since I've been in town I forget where mallow street is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From Limerick Now page on Facebook:

ALL McDonald's Drive-Thru's will be open by next Thursday 4th June, with reopening starting on Tuesday 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Reopening on the 2nd for McDelivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Mr E wrote: »
    From Limerick Now page on Facebook:

ALL McDonald's Drive-Thru's will be open by next Thursday 4th June, with reopening starting on Tuesday 2nd.

I’m lovin it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but Lidl have planning permission in for a store on the Dock Road.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/547087/revealed-first-impressions-of-limerick-s-proposed-new-lidl-store.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Good to see 2 new small businesses getting ready to open in the city center:
    Habit coffee & retail on O’Connell st.
    Cosy Windows - looks like it is selling lacy curtains and the like.

Wish them all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Skuxx wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but Lidl have planning permission in for a store on the Dock Road.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/547087/revealed-first-impressions-of-limerick-s-proposed-new-lidl-store.html

Planning application, big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

greenkiwi1 wrote: »

Wish them all the best!
    Brilliant news. I was in the city center today and had a good stroll around the place. Businesses that were open seemed busy enough, and anyone I asked was happy with the trade. In fairness to the government, they are pushing the message of "shop local", maybe people are listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Wish them all the best!

Habit opened before lockdown, have yet to get coffee there but from their Instagram they seem to care about coffee and training their baristas as opposed to the nearby chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Habit opened before lockdown, have yet to get coffee there but from their Instagram they seem to care about coffee and training their baristas as opposed to the nearby chains.

I've had a couple of cups from there, highly recommended! They serve Badger & Dodo coffee and its top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Wish them all the best!

Habit coffee have been open since before Christmas or shortly after it. They've also been open for the past 3 or 4 weeks since the initial phase of lockdown lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Brilliant news. I was in the city center today and had a good stroll around the place. Businesses that were open seemed busy enough, and anyone I asked was happy with the trade. In fairness to the government, they are pushing the message of "shop local", maybe people are listening.
    Haven't ventured in to the city yet but been around Dooradoyle which has been quiet aside from queues for McDonalds. Was also out in Newcastle West this week and you would never know the shops have reopened. Ghostly quiet, loads of parking, hardly no footfall. You'd have to fear for all the businesses in the smaller towns. It's hard to see how they will survive.

Advertisement