Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wingtsun / Wingchun Dublin: basic concepts basic exercices

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Hi Tony,

Can you show me a few clips from youtube where you feel that good quality Wing Tsun/Chun has been used successfully in the ring?

Thanks,

Michael
    I know some are not in a ring but there competition fighting, there are others but these are some that i new were to find them quickly. the first 1 is butcher labs, a wing chun club in denmark, the second is one of alan orrs students, the third is another of his students,the forth is one of my guys winning a national sanshou title against a guy that had over 60 kickboxing fights according to his coach and since this fight has gone on to win his first mma fight in cork with a 15 second knockout. the fifth is another one of my guys winning the mma league.the guy he beat in this is a blackbelt in judo and came 8th in the world sambo championships in russia in 2009,im sure you will find more on utube . the problem is that a lot of wing chun people won't recongise it.remember its not movie fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNsJfp9IEqw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCbRTofOHw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR3beL5CWo&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HH0gnSljEw&feature=related
    http://sanshouireland.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/9676134-robert

IM NOT SAYING THAT THESE GUYS ARE WORLD CLASS OR ANYTHING, BUT THERE FIGHTING...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    I know some are not in a ring but there competition fighting, there are others but these are some that i new were to find them quickly. the first 1 is butcher labs, a wing chun club in denmark, the second is one of alan orrs students, the third is another of his students,the forth is one of my guys winning a national sanshou title against a guy that had over 60 kickboxing fights according to his coach and since this fight has gone on to win his first mma fight in cork with a 15 second knockout. the fifth is another one of my guys winning the mma league.the guy he beat in this is a blackbelt in judo and came 8th in the world sambo championships in russia in 2009,im sure you will find more on utube . the problem is that a lot of wing chun people won't recongise it.remember its not movie fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNsJfp9IEqw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCbRTofOHw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR3beL5CWo&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HH0gnSljEw&feature=related
    http://sanshouireland.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/9676134-robert

IM NOT SAYING THAT THESE GUYS ARE WORLD CLASS OR ANYTHING, BUT THERE FIGHTING...

Hi Tony,

I didn't ask to see Wing Chun students fighting in a ring. I asked to see Wing Chun itself being used in the ring. I looked at all of the clips and in not one could I find any Wing Chun being used.

Now while I respect people who get into the ring, I don't respect them doing round, high, backspinning kicks, etc and calling it Wing Chun.

You say the problem is that Wing Chun people won't recognise it as its not movie fighting. I say Wing Tsun/Chun people won't recognise as it is not Wing Tsun/Chun.

Regards,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

this er...emotional feller is wing chun apparently, theres a few clips of him fighting MMA knocking around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3F6Zwbp9E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyrNR39m3E&feature=related

Bambi wrote: »
    this er...emotional feller is wing chun apparently, theres a few clips of him fighting MMA knocking around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3F6Zwbp9E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyrNR39m3E&feature=related

Hi Oisin,

Massimo uses this guy as an example of Wing Chun being used in the ring. Apart from the fact that the Shaun Obasi is,,, emotional, I cannot see any Wing Chun being used.

There are only three forms (katas) in Wing Tsun/Chun. The Siu-Nim-Tau, Cham-Kiu and Biu-Tze. The contain almost all of the techniques, footwork used in Wing Tsun/Chun. So far in any of the clips, I have not seen one movement from any of the forms.

This indicates that Wing Tsun/Chun is not being used.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Tony,

I didn't ask to see Wing Chun students fighting in a ring. I asked to see Wing Chun itself being used in the ring. I looked at all of the clips and in not one could I find any Wing Chun being used.

Now while I respect people who get into the ring, I don't respect them doing round, high, backspinning kicks, etc and calling it Wing Chun.

You say the problem is that Wing Chun people won't recognise it as its not movie fighting. I say Wing Tsun/Chun people won't recognise as it is not Wing Tsun/Chun.

Regards,

Michael

Hello Michael
    I will start by saying that most Wing Chun people fall in to the trap of believing that all they have to do to learn to fight is to practice the forms of Wing Chun and do a bit of chi sao, but the truth is that the forms are only a guide,Wing Chun forms are just a way for students to learn and practice the basic techniques of Wing Chun, the important thing that students should be getting from forms is STRUCTURE-BALANCE AND MOVEMENT,The forms should also be teaching and instilling the principles and strategies of Wing Chun, not a carbon copy method of fighting that all students of Wing Chun have to follow or else there not doing Wing Chun...
    Im sorry that you didn't see any Wing Chun in the clips, but i think that it is more a problem that you have, as i believe that your expectations have more to do with Hong kong movies specifically the IP MAN movies, it would be great if we all could block multiple punches and kicks from 10 karate black belts, but those things only happen in the movies, real fighting is completly different.You say you cant see Wing Chun in any of the clips, well i know your wrong,so let me break down the last clip for you that happened at the mma league.Fight starts robert has good sructure, balance and movement,he moves in and throws a low level kick to his opponents leg and them moves back 2 steps,enticing his opponent to chase him which he does, his opponent looses his structure and
    balance because he rushes in, robert then uses side body wing chun and chi sao to turn and control his opponent, his opponent goes down, it wasn't a take down,he just unbalanced him with his movement,robert doesn't go down on the ground, he stayed on his feet controling his legs, he only goes to ground when he goes for a leg lock, he missed the leg lock so he returns to his feet straight away, the ref then stops the fight and moves the 2 fighters back to the center were robert starts in the guard even though they didn't finish there before the stoppage,robert straight away gets one foot on the ground and then the other, he moves to one side and then the other,his opponent then put his shin across his thigh, robert takes the leg and finishes with a leg lock (44 seconds in total)
    real WING CHUN...

Now the three points that i think you are going to make are the following so i taught i would save time and answer them now...

(1) Side body WING CHUN is a system of Wing chun taught by doctor Leung Jan in the village of Gulao, doctor Leung was the teacher of chan wah shun who was the teacher of yip man, it is one of the wing chun systems i have trained in...

(2) There was no chi sao in that fight, yes there was and i have included a clip of what real Gulao chi sao looks like , its not the HONG KONG chi sao drills that most wing chun clubs do, it is only a small clip and it starts at 1:25...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cqRp-YtuM

(3) There are no leg locks in wing chun, yes your right ,SO...

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Based on what Michael O'Leary says this is what I understand about Wing Chun.

Wing Chun cannot be used against some also using Wing Chun. thus they cannot spar
    Wing Chun cannot be used against a 'trained fighter'. thus they can't enter MMA
    Any videos we see of Wing Chun people fighting they are actually not doing Wing Chun. - we have no evidence of Wing Chun's applicability

Wing Chun only works when a very highly skill practioneer fights somebody who has no idea how to fight. However, we have no documented proof of this.

Why would anyone train in Wing Chun for self-defence reasons?

Hello Michael
    I will start by saying that most Wing Chun people fall in to the trap of believing that all they have to do to learn to fight is to practice the forms of Wing Chun and do a bit of chi sao, but the truth is that the forms are only a guide,Wing Chun forms are just a way for students to learn and practice the basic techniques of Wing Chun, the important thing that students should be getting from forms is STRUCTURE-BALANCE AND MOVEMENT,The forms should also be teaching and instilling the principles and strategies of Wing Chun, not a carbon copy method of fighting that all students of Wing Chun have to follow or else there not doing Wing Chun...
    Im sorry that you didn't see any Wing Chun in the clips, but i think that it is more a problem that you have, as i believe that your expectations have more to do with Hong kong movies specifically the IP MAN movies, it would be great if we all could block multiple punches and kicks from 10 karate black belts, but those things only happen in the movies, real fighting is completly different.You say you cant see Wing Chun in any of the clips, well i know your wrong,so let me break down the last clip for you that happened at the mma league.Fight starts robert has good sructure, balance and movement,he moves in and throws a low level kick to his opponents leg and them moves back 2 steps,enticing his opponent to chase him which he does, his opponent looses his structure and
    balance because he rushes in, robert then uses side body wing chun and chi sao to turn and control his opponent, his opponent goes down, it wasn't a take down,he just unbalanced him with his movement,robert doesn't go down on the ground, he stayed on his feet controling his legs, he only goes to ground when he goes for a leg lock, he missed the leg lock so he returns to his feet straight away, the ref then stops the fight and moves the 2 fighters back to the center were robert starts in the guard even though they didn't finish there before the stoppage,robert straight away gets one foot on the ground and then the other, he moves to one side and then the other,his opponent then put his shin across his thigh, robert takes the leg and finishes with a leg lock (44 seconds in total)
    real WING CHUN...

Now the three points that i think you are going to make are the following so i taught i would save time and answer them now...

(1) Side body WING CHUN is a system of Wing chun taught by doctor Leung Jan in the village of Gulao, doctor Leung was the teacher of chan wah shun who was the teacher of yip man, it is one of the wing chun systems i have trained in...

(2) There was no chi sao in that fight, yes there was and i have included a clip of what real Gulao chi sao looks like , its not the HONG KONG chi sao drills that most wing chun clubs do, it is only a small clip and it starts at 1:25...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cqRp-YtuM

(3) There are no leg locks in wing chun, yes your right ,SO...

Tony

Hi Tony,

So with all the clips out there you can only break down one fight?

In the fight that you did break down, you showed a Wing Chun person (Robert) stepping back to entice their opponent in? This goes against Wing Chun principles. Robert throws a low round kick? There are no low round kicks in Wing Chun. Robert uses Gulao chi-sau as shown in the video clip against his opponent. Again, I cannot see that.

So he doesn't use Wing Chun punches, kicks, or anything recognisable as Wing Chun to win the fight but he does use low kicks, and finishes with a leg lock. And his body structure is not too different from his opponent. To be honast I didn't even know who the Wing Chun guy was supposed to be.

Even if he does use Wing Chun it is only a small amount and using a small amount of Wing Chun in your Sanshou training does not make it Wing Chun.

I understand the forms are a guide but the sheer absence of anything that resembles Wing Chun indicates it is not being used.

Regards,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I found a video of two high ranked Wing Chun guys fighting - Emin Boztepe vs William Cheung.

Could you break the Wing Chung actions down for me? It looks like Boztepe does a ko-soto-gari followed up by kesa-gatame, but those are judo moves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I remember seeing a scrap like that when I played basket ball in school in PE - one guy got a hit by the ball in the face and he kicked off with the lad that through it - the result was similar.

The more a fight becomes an actual fight the less it will resemble any sort of style.

Hi Tony,

So with all the clips out there you can only break down one fight?

In the fight that you did break down, you showed a Wing Chun person (Robert) stepping back to entice their opponent in? This goes against Wing Chun principles. Robert throws a low round kick? There are no low round kicks in Wing Chun. Robert uses Gulao chi-sau as shown in the video clip against his opponent. Again, I cannot see that.

So he doesn't use Wing Chun punches, kicks, or anything recognisable as Wing Chun to win the fight but he does use low kicks, and finishes with a leg lock. And his body structure is not too different from his opponent. To be honast I didn't even know who the Wing Chun guy was supposed to be.

Even if he does use Wing Chun it is only a small amount and using a small amount of Wing Chun in your Sanshou training does not make it Wing Chun.

I understand the forms are a guide but the sheer absence of anything that resembles Wing Chun indicates it is not being used.

Regards,

Michael

michael:
    (1) The reason i only broke down one clip was that Robert is one of the lads that trains with me.

(2) You say that Robert stepping back to entice his opponent to attack is against Wing Chun principle, you are completly and utterly WRONG, in a lot of martial arts including Wing Chun it's called DRAWING,you obviously come from the school of tough that believes in rushing in and chain punching or as i like to call it close your eyes and hope for the best, controling the distance and the entry is the real skill and you are also WRONG when you say that there are no low round kicks in Wing Chun, in a lot of branches there refered to it as turning kicks and can also be used as sweeps,but there slightly different when used as sweeps..

(3) you state that if im only using a small amount of wing chun in my sanshou training, does not make it Wing Chun! once again your wrong, sanshou is only a competition format that different styles can fight against eachother under the same rule set, it is not a style, sanshou is a expression of my Wing Chun, you fight in sanshou competitions using the principles you were taught from your system, in my case Wing Chun.
    Although i dont have any real intrest in grades,(it's nice to get your first black belt or sash,but after that it does'nt mean **** to me) In my opinion the biggest problem in wing chun today , not only in Ireland but around the world, is that over the last 20 or 30 years a large number of LOW level wing chun people have set up there OWN wing chun associations, appointing themselves life time presidents of the association,then the next thing that happens is that they give themselve high grades, most of these people were the equivalant to first degree black sash's\belts that overnight appointed themsele's GRANDMASTERS, But the truth is that they knew very little more than the basics, these people then went along and gave out a lot of high grades that they were never qualified to do,and the people that took them knew it and handed over large amounts of money for them(HOW CAN A FIRST DEGREE BLACK SASH GRADE PEOPLE TO 6th,7th,8th,9th or 10 DEGREE BLACK SASH OR LEVEL)
    Now the thing that happenes next is that people in his association take everything the ***GRANDMASTER***says a gospel and if he doesn't say it, it couldn't possibly be true or be part of Wing Chun and they feel honor bound to defend him and his teachings! or is the reason that they defend him is that really,they are defending there own grades? that they know deep down are'nt real, only they can answer that!
    Over the last few years i have also seen a new thrend starting, adding a new word on to Wing Chun, over the last few years i've seen combat Wing Chun, blitz Wing Chun, self defence Wing Chun and a few more, the one thing that all these seem to have in common is that none of the guys teaching believe in sparring or fighting, MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP!!!

• Advertisement

I found a video of two high ranked Wing Chun guys fighting - Emin Boztepe vs William Cheung.

Could you break the Wing Chung actions down for me? It looks like Boztepe does a ko-soto-gari followed up by kesa-gatame, but those are judo moves...

That should really read 2 self appointed high grades in wing chun, they were a disgrace, neither of them could fight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

wc or kickboxing?..or so similar under pressure as to not matter at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Dont know much about Wing Chun, but in Tai Chi Chuan the techniques came first, the form was created to "store" the arsenal of techniques gathered down through the years, and the techniques places side by side appropiately to highlight recovery techniques and counters to proceeding, or the next technique.

So the form is practiced with different aims to fighting, it doesn't look like fighting, no matter how expert the master, a real tai chi fighter will not be moving in slow-motion during a fight! :D

there are signature techniques certainly... seven star guard, gyrating arms, five element fist, but these will just seem like unorthodox striking, locking or wrestling methods to those unfamiliar. Many here who have seen the clips of us, or been to the sanshou events, would probably recognise the difference of Wudang Seven Star Guard for example. Of course we all have seven stars.... head, shoulders, elbows, hands, hips, knees, and feet... really strikes will look close enough in each style, likewise throws etc.. Tactics may vary slightly, or the leverage points, and that is what "style" really means, a signature way of doing things that is kinda noticable. it doesn't mean taking a training drill etc. and forcing it to work exactly as it is in a fighting situation!

The Tai Chi calssics state..." we practice technique to acquire principle, once we have principle we can abandon technique"

surely Wing Chun is the same? is there an example of a Wing Tsun signature technique out there? that would settle the whole issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

Hi all,

I will be happy to continue share opinions and experiences on this theme but before that I need to clarify my positions toward people I could have hurted, hopefully for the last time.

As things were a bit heated in here, we had a meeting with Aidan and Michael in an attempt to pacify relations. We made our points in private yesterday, but as my comments have been done in this public forum, I would apologise here to him and all the hard working instructors sincerely devoted to their Art I could have offended. That was not my intention.
    Speaking with Aidan I clearly could see that he felt hurted by this pointless rivalry. I also understood that my comments reguarding the way politics works in some WT/WC branches may have been rude (relation towards other organization’s practicioners, relation instructor/students, ways to run business, teaching content, .. ) . They might have given impression that I was putting everybody, even from a same organization, in the same bag.

I insist on the fact that my comments are limited to my personal experiences only and to few of the instructors I have visited. Belonging or not to the same organisation/martial art, each of them has its own politic to run classes. Some experiences were good and other were not.

I have been accepted in Aidan class as any other student even if I was coming from another organization and he really did not care about this kind of meaningless details. I have learned a lot on technical level from him and his assistants for one year or so.

I also clarified that my position about training methods ( e.g : sparrings/pressure, programs, etc..) does not change. This is the way I like to train and see things.
    My comments were not meant to undermine others and appear superior. I am at a beginner level compared to the numerous high level Sifus who are practicising since 20,30 and more years.

Having hundreds of schools and branches is an opportunity for practicioners (beginners /instructors ) to learn from each of them and enrich their Wingtsun.

The conversation ended by saying that there is place for all schools and a hand shake.

Regards,
    Massimo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

yomchi wrote: »
    At least they are sparring, but tbh it looks like messy MMA without take downs or ground work. There seems to be no follow up on any use after that jab is sent in, it seems like flailing after that. At least they are sparring though.

Agree with the fact that it looks messy, as you mentionned these guys have no MMA background. However they look like beeing teenagers, so might not be very experienced in their art. But we can see few typical WT attacks and counter-attacks in here, and for sure they are experiencing an essential aspect of their art.
    When it comes to sparring, either ground fighting or stand up fights, you will not "see" WC techniques. The WC practicioner is not thinking about the move he has to do, he is striking on the central line with forward pressure; if needed he will feel what his opponent is trying to do - blocking, pushing / pulling right or left (TanSao -BongSao? ), etc..- so the reaction is felt by the practicioner but is hardly visible by external spectators. What's more everything is happening so fast that from a second to another fighter have changed angles several time, applied several footwork, punches and reactions.

Despite what have been said about Shawn Obasi's video,I still do find that he is applying his WC concepts either in stand up and in ground fighting.

Another interesting video to show WC on ground fighting is from Yannis Simeonidis. The spar end with a typical arm lock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7otQzshc2gI&feature=related

To Sid Vicius:

What attracted my in Grappling and Ground fightings is that you are sparring against people that have trained with similar concepts such as non resistance or "feeling" where the gaps/opportunities are to apply their techinques. It induces you to constantly focus on few WC chisao basics such as protecting your space or feeling the impulsion given by the adversary ( e.gopponent push on right side = escape/attack on left side, etc...) I also liked the fact that the rythm of a spar in these discipline and the small amount of stress generated by the absence of punches allow the practicioner to feel the weak and the strong points in his structure while reacting. For instance you can notice when your elbow is not on line with your shoulder and for that reason your guard ( or your "bubble" ) on right/left side is beeing crushed.
    But the major benefit I had from those grappling sparrings are the springs build in the body. Grapplers and other contact fighters do not hesitate to put maximum pressure on you when attacking, which allows you to train in not " blocking" or "resisting" these attacks but "receiving and charging" this energy to give it back.

michael:
    (1) The reason i only broke down one clip was that Robert is one of the lads that trains with me.

(2) You say that Robert stepping back to entice his opponent to attack is against Wing Chun principle, you are completly and utterly WRONG, in a lot of martial arts including Wing Chun it's called DRAWING,you obviously come from the school of tough that believes in rushing in and chain punching or as i like to call it close your eyes and hope for the best, controling the distance and the entry is the real skill and you are also WRONG when you say that there are no low round kicks in Wing Chun, in a lot of branches there refered to it as turning kicks and can also be used as sweeps,but there slightly different when used as sweeps..

(3) you state that if im only using a small amount of wing chun in my sanshou training, does not make it Wing Chun! once again your wrong, sanshou is only a competition format that different styles can fight against eachother under the same rule set, it is not a style, sanshou is a expression of my Wing Chun, you fight in sanshou competitions using the principles you were taught from your system, in my case Wing Chun.
    Although i dont have any real intrest in grades,(it's nice to get your first black belt or sash,but after that it does'nt mean **** to me) In my opinion the biggest problem in wing chun today , not only in Ireland but around the world, is that over the last 20 or 30 years a large number of LOW level wing chun people have set up there OWN wing chun associations, appointing themselves life time presidents of the association,then the next thing that happens is that they give themselve high grades, most of these people were the equivalant to first degree black sash's\belts that overnight appointed themsele's GRANDMASTERS, But the truth is that they knew very little more than the basics, these people then went along and gave out a lot of high grades that they were never qualified to do,and the people that took them knew it and handed over large amounts of money for them(HOW CAN A FIRST DEGREE BLACK SASH GRADE PEOPLE TO 6th,7th,8th,9th or 10 DEGREE BLACK SASH OR LEVEL)
    Now the thing that happenes next is that people in his association take everything the ***GRANDMASTER***says a gospel and if he doesn't say it, it couldn't possibly be true or be part of Wing Chun and they feel honor bound to defend him and his teachings! or is the reason that they defend him is that really,they are defending there own grades? that they know deep down are'nt real, only they can answer that!
    Over the last few years i have also seen a new thrend starting, adding a new word on to Wing Chun, over the last few years i've seen combat Wing Chun, blitz Wing Chun, self defence Wing Chun and a few more, the one thing that all these seem to have in common is that none of the guys teaching believe in sparring or fighting, MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP!!!

Hi Tony,

You have said a lot here and it would be too easy to go off on a tangient so I will try and keep this on track.

Wing Tsun/Chun is based on principles and has recognisable positions and movements. Yes, they become less defined but are still recognisable. You have the movements, postures in the forms as well as the principles. The first principle is "when they way is free, go forward". This means don't feint, etc, just go forward! There are no principles in Wing Tsun/Chun that talks about "drawing your opponent in". So we can argue all night about what is Wing Tsun/Chun but trying to draw your opponent in goes against Wing Tsun/Chun principles.

Also Wing Tsun/Chun is recognisable by its punches, strikes, footwork. The lack of any of these in any of your video's together with the fact that the fighters are going against Wing Tsun/Chun principles, indicates that what is being used in the ring is not Wing Tsun/Chun.

Regards,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

This is starting to sound like a no true Scotsman fallacy. (From both of you.)

Tony's guy isn't doing real wing chun and the heads of two large wing chun groups aren't real wing chun.

Tony's guy isn't doing real wing chun and the heads of two large wing chun groups aren't real wing chun.

Hi Doug,

I am not into the whole, this is "real" or "true" as if there is one point of purity and any variation is a contamination.

For example, you could say that it is a feature of Celtic people (I know the term is open to debate) to have red hair. But not all Celtic people have red hair. 1 in 13 Irish people have red hair, 1 in 10 Scots have red hair as opposed to Germans which is much lower. So when we talk about red headed people, Celts are statistically more likely to have red hair. But if you are Irish and don't have red hair (I have skin coloured hair), it doesn't mean you are not Irish.

So again, I am not too hung up on the idea of "true" or "real" Wing Tsun/Chun. Also just because something is not Wing Tsun/Chun doesn't lessen its value but lets just call it for what it is. Wing Tsun/Chun follows specific principles and has specific movements. While you can allow for some variation in a real fight and lay people might not recognise Wing Tsun/Chun movements, the sheer absence of any Wing Tsun/Chun movements that would be recognisable to someone who is doing it a long time, coupled with the fact that the principles and movements used are contary to Wing Tsun/Chun indicate that Wing Tsun/Chun is not being used. Phew!

Regards,

Michael

Dont know much about Wing Chun, but in Tai Chi Chuan the techniques came first, the form was created to "store" the arsenal of techniques gathered down through the years, and the techniques places side by side appropiately to highlight recovery techniques and counters to proceeding, or the next technique.

So the form is practiced with different aims to fighting, it doesn't look like fighting, no matter how expert the master, a real tai chi fighter will not be moving in slow-motion during a fight! :D

there are signature techniques certainly... seven star guard, gyrating arms, five element fist, but these will just seem like unorthodox striking, locking or wrestling methods to those unfamiliar. Many here who have seen the clips of us, or been to the sanshou events, would probably recognise the difference of Wudang Seven Star Guard for example. Of course we all have seven stars.... head, shoulders, elbows, hands, hips, knees, and feet... really strikes will look close enough in each style, likewise throws etc.. Tactics may vary slightly, or the leverage points, and that is what "style" really means, a signature way of doing things that is kinda noticable. it doesn't mean taking a training drill etc. and forcing it to work exactly as it is in a fighting situation!

The Tai Chi calssics state..." we practice technique to acquire principle, once we have principle we can abandon technique"

surely Wing Chun is the same? is there an example of a Wing Tsun signature technique out there? that would settle the whole issue?

I agree, but one thing i have noticed over the years is that people that try to fight completly like the forms ,have no real understanding of the principles and strategies and they over compenstate by following the forms to the letter, and as you have already said, FORM IS PRACTICED WITH DIFFERENT AIMS TO FIGHTING.

You asked is there an example of a Wing Chun signature technique out there? that would settle the whole issue? michaels response was THAT WING CHUN IS RECOGNISABLE BY ITS PUNCHES,STRIKES,FOOTWORK, i agree with michael that they are SOME of the RECOGNISABLE moves but i dont think that was the question that you asked.What you asked was IS THERE A EXAMPLE OF A WING CHUN SIGNATURE MOVE OUT THERE? THAT WOULD SETTLE THE HOLE ISSUE? some people would say what Mchael said , others would say the virtical punch or maybe some other techiquines, i think there all wrong because in my opinion Wing Chun doesn't have a signature technique or move, the signature of Wing Chun is its PRINCIPLES, Anybody can learn the forms of Wing Chun off u-tube, but what they cant learn is the principles(STRUCTURE-BALANCE -MOVEMENT) some can be taught-some have to be learned and there is a difference,Strategies are something different again, Most people confuse sayings with principles, there are hundreds of Wing Chun sayings out there, some even call them Wing Chun poetry, ("WHEN THE WAY IS FREE, GO FORWARD") But they are not the principles of Wing Chun...

Tony

Doug: I never said that they didn't do real Wing CHUN, what i said was that they are 2 self appointed high grades,when people start there own associations, make themselves lifetime presidents and grade themselves, i always ask questions...

• Advertisement

Hi Doug,

I am not into the whole, this is "real" or "true" as if there is one point of purity and any variation is a contamination.

For example, you could say that it is a feature of Celtic people (I know the term is open to debate) to have red hair. But not all Celtic people have red hair. 1 in 13 Irish people have red hair, 1 in 10 Scots have red hair as opposed to Germans which is much lower. So when we talk about red headed people, Celts are statistically more likely to have red hair. But if you are Irish and don't have red hair (I have skin coloured hair), it doesn't mean you are not Irish.

So again, I am not too hung up on the idea of "true" or "real" Wing Tsun/Chun. Also just because something is not Wing Tsun/Chun doesn't lessen its value but lets just call it for what it is. Wing Tsun/Chun follows specific principles and has specific movements. While you can allow for some variation in a real fight and lay people might not recognise Wing Tsun/Chun movements, the sheer absence of any Wing Tsun/Chun movements that would be recognisable to someone who is doing it a long time, coupled with the fact that the principles and movements used are contary to Wing Tsun/Chun indicate that Wing Tsun/Chun is not being used. Phew!

Regards,

Michael

Michael you seem to have a very narrow vision of what Whing Chun is.You say that Wing Chun has no faints and draws, i know your wrong, but just lets say your right for a minute, that would mean that Wing Chun is the only Chinese martial art in the history of Chinese martial arts that doesn't use faints and draws,what do you think the chances of that are?

You also state that:The sheer absence of any Wing Chun movements that would be recognisable to someone that is doing it a long time,coupled with the fact that the principles and movements used are contary to Wing Chun indicate that wing Chun is not being used,Phew.

Well i recognise it and just in case you are wondoring,some thing that you may not realise is that i am the most senior Wing Chun person in this country that is still teaching Wing Chun, i think that its great that you have been training in Wing Chun for 17 years, i have been training in Wing Chun for 30 years, the most senior grade in Ireland in your organisation is actually in Wing Chun terms my junior nephew,His first instructor was my training partner and he only joined the Dublin Wing Chun club after i left and went a different way.most of the senior people in this country that teach Wing Chun are either my junior nephew or in some cases 2 or 3 generations beyond that, i am also the only person in this country of any nationality that is licenced and approved to teach chinese martial arts specifically WING CHUN bye the goverment of the republic of China,i realise NOW that i will never convince you about Wing Chun, now i dont mind you disagreeing with me , but please dont tell me im not teaching Wing Chun or my guys ar'nt fighting Wing Chun ...

The best advise i could give to anybody would be to remember fighting is simple, it's people that complicate it...
    Tony...

Hi Tony,

I suppose what we are disagreeing about is whether the competition fighting in your video clips is Wing Tsun/Chun. In order determine this, we need to define what Wing Tsun/Chun is. In order to define something we need to show its boundaries. If there are no boundaries and the term Wing Tsun/Chun could mean anything, then the term actually means nothing.

Your definition of Wing Tsun/Chun is balance/structure and movement. I feel this is a little bit too ambiguous, subjective and open to interpretation.

My definition of Wing Tsun/Chun is defined by the movements in the forms and also by the principles that state how these movements are used. These principles are not random sayings that contradict each other. In an age when few people could read or write, they were mottos that typically rhymed so that people could remember them and they dictated how Wing Tsun/Chun should be used. The most important ones are as follows in order of importance.
    1. When the way is free, go forward
    2. Stick when the way is obstructed
    3. Give way when you meet greater force
    4. Thrust forward when the limb is free
    You feel that by sticking to the principles and recognisable movements in Wing Tsun/Chun that I am being too narrow however I feel that my definition of Wing Tsun/Chun is more accurate and objective.
    just in case you are wondoring,some thing that you may not realise is that i am the most senior Wing Chun person in this country that is still teaching Wing Chun, i think that its great that you have been training in Wing Chun for 17 years, i have been training in Wing Chun for 30 years, the most senior grade in Ireland in your organisation is actually in Wing Chun terms my junior nephew,His first instructor was my training partner and he only joined the Dublin Wing Chun club after i left and went a different way.most of the senior people in this country that teach Wing Chun are either my junior nephew or in some cases 2 or 3 generations beyond that, i am also the only person in this country of any nationality that is licenced and approved to teach chinese martial arts specifically WING CHUN bye the goverment of the republic of China,.
    Good for you! :D

One of my students who is 7th student grade, training to be an assistant instructor and in his 50s, trained Wing Chun in Church St about 30 years ago so he is probably both our seniors.

Regards,

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

The beauty of the Way is that there is no Way
    ... Lao Tzu

:D:D:D

Hi Tony,

I suppose what we are disagreeing about is whether the competition fighting in your video clips is Wing Tsun/Chun. In order determine this, we need to define what Wing Tsun/Chun is. In order to define something we need to show its boundaries. If there are no boundaries and the term Wing Tsun/Chun could mean anything, then the term actually means nothing.

Your definition of Wing Tsun/Chun is balance/structure and movement. I feel this is a little bit too ambiguous, subjective and open to interpretation.

My definition of Wing Tsun/Chun is defined by the movements in the forms and also by the principles that state how these movements are used. These principles are not random sayings that contradict each other. In an age when few people could read or write, they were mottos that typically rhymed so that people could remember them and they dictated how Wing Tsun/Chun should be used. The most important ones are as follows in order of importance.
    1. When the way is free, go forward
    2. Stick when the way is obstructed
    3. Give way when you meet greater force
    4. Thrust forward when the limb is free
    You feel that by sticking to the principles and recognisable movements in Wing Tsun/Chun that I am being too narrow however I feel that my definition of Wing Tsun/Chun is more accurate and objective.

Good for you! :D

One of my students who is 7th student grade, training to be an assistant instructor and in his 50s, trained Wing Chun in Church St about 30 years ago so he is probably both our seniors.

Regards,

Michael

Michael,I understand that i will never convince you on the subject of wing chun principles, so im not going to try,if your happy with what your doing, keep doing it, but always remember Wing Chun history is full of famous names like Dr Leung Jan-Chan Wah-Shun-Yuan Kay-Shan, these people were not famous for how good there forms were or how good there chi sau was, they were famous for one thing, winning challenge matches (FIGHTING)...

But im afraid your wrong again about your 7th student grade being my senior,he's yours ,not mine (not that it really matters anyway :D). the church street club was much later, around 84, (the club was originally started bye a complete fake that only took one lesson in Wing Chun before he opened church street,he was even grading students,When leo found out about it,he approached him and ended up taking it over, the guy then left and no one ever say him again) The original wing chun club( AND THERE WAS ONLY ONE IN IRELAND) was run by two instructors from two different branches and was in the TKD center in exchecquer street, around 78-80,roughly, before it was the TKD center, it then over the
    following few years moved to various halls around dublin (just off stephens
    green-capel steet-cuff street-richmond road) and ended up in litten lane dance studio just off the quays, it then moved to church street and then back to litten lane, leo then gave up teaching and John ended up teaching , but i wasn't really involved with the club at that stage, The club at that stage was more of a beginners club, so a few of the senior guys used to meet up to train together,About 86-87 john started teaching in a old mill around Phibsboro and a boxing club in crumlin somewhere, those two places are where most of the modern day Wing Chun/Tsun instructors started there training... (THOSE DATES ARE ROUGHLY,IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME)

Tony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

My relatively uninformed opinion on all of this is that

A) Wing Chun usually looks messy when it's being sparred at high speed. But that's fine.

B) We do forms and learn techniques, but are encouraged to make them our own, and to apply them in our own way. We would feint and draw the opponent in at times. Though we are told the ideal is to keep moving forward.

Advertisement