Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Advice - Question and Concerns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭WantToBeRose

OMG that foot binding practise is horrible! The images are quite disturbing.

Anyway, Jus to make it clear...my size 11's...in a womans shoe will it be about an 8 or so?
    Or am I thinking the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

OMG that foot binding practise is horrible! The images are quite disturbing.

Anyway, Jus to make it clear...my size 11's...in a womans shoe will it be about an 8 or so?
    Or am I thinking the wrong way?

That would be size 12 in a woman's. I think.

http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/shoesizeconversion.asp

hare05 wrote: »
    That would be size 12 in a woman's. I think.

http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/tools/shoesizeconversion.asp

Oh wow thats big:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Oh wow thats big:(

Mine are bigger :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone else still having problems getting an endo appointment? I've had my letter done up and diagnosis and all I can do is beat my head off the wall in fraustration. Rang loughlinstown today and still no appointment. Thank god I have a psychiatric appointment tomorrow, because I'm just píssed off at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Just on the shoes thing. I've massive feet too and take a wide 9, or narrow 10 in women's sizes. I found Cinderella shoes quite expensive, to be honest - Evans caters for large shoe sizes, and they're a bit cheaper, with a bigger selection. They do up to an 11, but also do different widths, which means you may not need such a big size, length wise. They're on Henry street but their website will give you a better idea of the selection and stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Can anyone tell me what blood tests I need for the endo? Estrogen, testosterone, glucose and lipid levels right? But there's one more and I can't remember what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what blood tests I need for the endo? Estrogen, testosterone, glucose and lipid levels right? But there's one more and I can't remember what it is.
    PM sent.

Note that different people may need different tests, so it's probably not wise to enumerate the tests here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just getting my letter sorted out now for Dr o Shay. Ever so slightly fraustrated, but getting there.

Ok so my doctor has sent a letter to Dr O'Shay so hopefully something will happen. I am prepared for the long wait, I'm just happy something is being done.

Also, I sort of "came out" saturday night:pac: I was a little drunk and was talking to my friends girlfriend (my friend is lesbian) ,who I just met, and just said i was transgendered. It was so easy to say (probably due to the amout of vodka I had drank!) but it felt good to say it. And she was so sweet about it. I think the fact she is Lesbian made it easier. But she's just one person that I don't really know, comming out fully to friends is a little too soon yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

Hi, a friend of mine is wondering if being on VHI helps with anything trans related? She didn't seem to be able to find any information and her parents are going to drop her from their plan unless she can think of something it may pay for in the long run.

Hey Crystal, Has your friend got in contact with VHI themselves to find out what they will and will not cover. I know the medical card will cover some things but not everything as far as I'm aware.

Hey Crystal, Has your friend got in contact with VHI themselves to find out what they will and will not cover. I know the medical card will cover some things but not everything as far as I'm aware.

Too embarrassed apparently...

What things does the Medical Card not cover? What does VHI cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

VHI wil not cover anything transgender related.
    The medical card covers hormones, but for some reason not all.
    Evorel microgram patches are covered for 50 microgram but not 100 microgram, so double patches of 50 microgram are used to get over this.
    Zoladex injection anti androgen is covered.

Apart from the overseas treatment purchase fund covering Charing X hospital nothing else is covered. Although the OTPF does not depend on the medical card.
    Facial cosmetic surgery or facial hair removal is not covered by any scheme in Ireland, although hair removal is covered in certain health areas of the UK.

It's possible to get surgery on Medical Card? I heard it was possible to be referred.

It's possible to get surgery on Medical Card? I heard it was possible to be referred.

From what I believe, it is possible to get referred. I hear the wait is pretty long and it's over to Dr. Richard Curtis. Here's the web address http://www.transhealth.co.uk

I'm getting my Endo appointment mailed out to me soon aswell :D:p:)

From what I believe, it is possible to get referred. I hear the wait is pretty long and it's over to Dr. Richard Curtis. Here's the web address http://www.transhealth.co.uk

WHY do we not have a place like this in Ireland?:O

WHY do we not have a place like this in Ireland?:O
    We barely have an endocrine unit in Ireland that deals with trans people! I think the reason is because there aren't enough trans people in Ireland for a surgeon to become competant at it.

And, surgery isn't with Dr. Curtis, it is with Dr. Bellringer in Charing Cross.

As an aside - from everything I've heard, I believe Dr. Curtis is a good choice for anyone considering getting their hormones privately. He is F2M himself, and so he knows what it is like to be trans. And, I don't know, but I suspect that it is cheaper for an Irish M2F who doesn't have a medical card to go privately to London with Dr. Curtis than publically to Dublin with Dr. O'Shea (especially if they live near an airport)! :eek: :mad: I almost went to Dr. Curtis myself, and I now regret that I didn't. :(

We barely have an endocrine unit in Ireland that deals with trans people! I think the reason is because there aren't enough trans people in Ireland for a surgeon to become competant at it.

And, surgery isn't with Dr. Curtis, it is with Dr. Bellringer in Charing Cross.

As an aside - from everything I've heard, I believe Dr. Curtis is a good choice for anyone considering getting their hormones privately. He is F2M himself, and so he knows what it is like to be trans. And, I don't know, but I suspect that it is cheaper for an Irish M2F who doesn't have a medical card to go privately to London with Dr. Curtis than publically to Dublin with Dr. O'Shea (especially if they live near an airport)! :eek: :mad: I almost went to Dr. Curtis myself, and I now regret that I didn't. :(

Not sure I'd be able to afford it but it sure sounds alot better!
    Would one need to go through all the waiting crap we have to do here in Ireland to get treated in the UK? Because that clinic looks like Heaven to someone wanting transition!

Would one need to go through all the waiting crap we have to do here in Ireland to get treated in the UK?
    To get treated at Dr. Curtis's clinic - no. I would guess that you could start treatment maybe a month or 6 weeks after making an initial phone call.

• Advertisement

To get treated at Dr. Curtis's clinic - no. I would guess that you could start treatment maybe a month or 6 weeks after making an initial phone call.

Wow that is actually kind of exciting. But also scary.
    I suppose you'd need to be really ready for it to go there. What with coming out, and getting ready to go full time.

Sorry just want to back to this again.
    How does one go about getting help in the UK through the medical card?
    I mean if it can be done, and if that clinic can help in such a short amount of time, then I want in! :O

I know that SRS is funded through the medical card, but I can't say for certain about receiving an endo appointment in the UK. Check it with your GP and Psychiatrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You get referred to charring cross in the UK through loughlinstown, I think. it's nothing to do with Dr. Curtis or transhealth.co.uk as far as I know.

I see. I don't know if I'd rather go there to the UK or go to Thailand for SRS in a few years time. Have time to think about it.

That's great news. How long is the wait on average though? It's really not a big deal if it's just over a year or so, but 3 or more would be too much for her. It could be difficult if it's one of those things where you have to keep pressuring them(very common in this country) as she's very shy.

Kind of bummed though, wanted to go on a trip with them to Thailand. Oh well, I'll find another excuse or befriend a richer-but-not-too-rich trans.

Has your friend begun transitioning yet. It's a year to 2 years living full time first, before any consideration for SRS. Your friend could begin sourcing out information on SRS if she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Toni R

Does anyone know how good Rainbow Support services in Limerick is? Im going there next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

Links234 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you, I think that hormones should be immediately and freely available

Most of the MtFs I've spoken to online over the past year have been self-medicating with hormones they've purchased from online pharmacies. I don't know if you can do that in Ireland, what pharmacies would ship to Ireland, or if you'd have trouble with customs or not. but I really do think that it would be in the best interests of trans people everywhere if they had free access to hormones without any kind of gatekeeping, just being made informed of the risks.

On some of the trans sites I visit, a lot of people who are questioning or aren't 100% sure they're are given advice to just try hormones for a while and see how they feel, and are given recommended starter dosages. A lot of people would say that they weren't sure until they tried hormones by self medicating, and then they felt right, it was then they knew. I think this could be the difference between someone going on to lead a happier life, and struggling with gender issues for many more years.

an article I read some time ago that was written by a FtM transitioning in the UK, he had some doubts, but was always afraid to bring them up for fear that they'd stop his hormone treatment. it ended up that he had to pay for independent counseling to help him through issues that, if he brought up with the NHS, he was certain they'd postpone or halt his transition.

I firmly believe that hormones should be freely available to anyone considering transition, and that psychologists, counselors and other professionals should be there for support, if the person needs it. Their roles shouldn't be to gatekeep or asses people for hormonal treatment, only to support them if needed.

But I'm a radical ;)
    As a trained therapist, I must agree that handing out hormones without proper consultation is not the way forward. There is the potential for horrific mistakes which could have dire effects on a persons psychological well being. I worked for a short time on transgender issues and am neither unaware of or unfeeling toward the issues and frustrations faced during the process...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

I see. I don't know if I'd rather go there to the UK or go to Thailand for SRS in a few years time. Have time to think about it.
    There is better follow up aftercare in UK

Advertisement