Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Advice - Question and Concerns

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Guys I have done my deed poll, however the passport office are refusing to change my name until I show that I've been using it for at least two years.

Is this right?

The deed poll was done with a solicitor and I renounced the use of previous name entirely from that forth. Can they really force me to keep it and use it essentially illegally?

Ring TENI and ask

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

My biggest issue is that a lot of places I've sent my deed poll to are looking for passport proof in addition to name change.

Phone networks, banks etx.

In addition to this, I work in the medical sector and insurance and registered bodies require the passport proof addition.

To further complicate it I'm moving to the UK at the end of June and my new employer requires copy of photo identification which I now cannot provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Understood, have you got a drivers licence or even a learner permit? your not a student on any even part-time basis? might be worth your while doing a driver theory test, as that was my main identification in the intervening period. No gender on that.

Freiheit wrote: »
    Understood, have you got a drivers licence or even a learner permit? your not a student on any even part-time basis? might be worth your while doing a driver theory test, as that was my main identification in the intervening period. No gender on that.

I have a driver licence however they won't do anything without further proof my name change also which I cannot get until I have a form of Id.

I am a student, but just finishing and it's in the UK. They require a gender recognition cert which Ireland don't have. And the deed poll also needs supporting documents.

Absolute nightmare.

I've been through all of the above with minimal problems,there was no problem changing drivers licence, or student ID...is there any bills in your name? or bank statements? surely there will be something soon?

• Advertisement

Soon doesn't cut it though as the passport office want two years of proof. I am leaving Ireland in June and supposed to be arriving in the UK with new passport

As I said 2 years is not factual at all...if you can't get documentation just use old id. and make sure you are well armed with medical and legal documentation....

Currently embroiled in a battle over them essentially forcing me to travel on false documentation.

It is such a backwards system. I would understand if I was changing it through common usage but a deed poll is a legal document.

It's ****, but remember you will get through this , it's horrible and only very temporary, soon it will all be past tense.

Advertisement