Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Advice - Question and Concerns

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Rachel1984 wrote: »
    Hi im looking for some advise i am looking to transition m2f and i saw there is a endoclinic in loughlinstown how did i go about getting a appointment and do you know if this is covered by medical card also does anyone know if the waiting list long for this clinic thanks

Hi Rachel :)

first, you'll need to see a psychologist for a while, and after seeing them for a while, they can give you a diagnosis and a referral to Loughlinstown. Dr. James Kelly is a very good psychologist, and would be recommended. the medical card covers hormone treatment, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rachel1984

Hi do you have a website or contact number for doctor kelly i would like to get in touch with him to begin diogniosis for gid thanks
    BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Do you think it would be ok for me to contact Dr Kelly after 2 years, and should I state (I know stupidly) that I don't think I'm wrong, I know I need help, but I don't consider myself ill *shurg* In saying that though I've no problem in going to a Pysch therapists (probably spelt that wrong) I've just seen some and they couldn't help me :(
    I can't see any issue with you going back to Dr. Kelly after 2 years.

Yes, you aren't "ill". However, if you want to transition, you are going to have to enter the medical system, and they aren't going to do anything for you without a "diagnosis". And Dr. Kelly is the person who can diagnose you.

You seen some psych therapists and they couldn't help you? What did you go to them with - were you asking them for help transitioning?
    I'm really sorry but I know I'm being forceful, but I can't seem to find my way around these boards, sorry again if I seemed that way, I wish you all the best everyone, I will look at in the morning, Sorry :(:)
    You are not being forceful at all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dr. Kelly's details can be found here: http://www.teni.ie/page.aspx?contentid=116

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭WantToBeRose

Recently moved to Galway for college, meaning I'm near alot of resources needed for transition! Just wondering, would it be best to wait til i'm on the hormone blocker before I start facial hair removal or just start now? I'll be starting the blocker in about a months time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Not sure about the wait, but there's a Therapíe on shop street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Recently moved to Galway for college, meaning I'm near alot of resources needed for transition! Just wondering, would it be best to wait til i'm on the hormone blocker before I start facial hair removal or just start now? I'll be starting the blocker in about a months time.

I did 3 months of it last year and it works, but your facial hair, once it regrows, grows fast. Apparently HRT somehow slows the regrowth?

Anyway I stopped and will restart on after HRT.

hare05 wrote: »
    I did 3 months of it last year and it works, but your facial hair, once it regrows, grows fast. Apparently HRT somehow slows the regrowth?

Anyway I stopped and will restart on after HRT.

Oh great! So I should just wait? I think I read that HRT changes the way facial hair grows? I'm not to sure though.

Oh great! So I should just wait? I think I read that HRT changes the way facial hair grows? I'm not to sure though.

Wouldn't hurt to start now if you can absorb the costs, but it's not really necessary until about 6 months before full time in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Links234 wrote: »
    Dr. Kelly's details can be found here: http://www.teni.ie/page.aspx?contentid=116
    Can one set up appointments via Email or would I have to ring him?

I've been putting calling on a very, very long finger as I'm super nervous and worried about it. Would greatly help if things can be arranged via email, at least initially anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I've been having it done for 2 years without hrt and while it works,progress is terribly slow.

• Advertisement

It's not easy but it really is best to call,I was very nervous making my first appointment but therapists will understand that. An email could go to spam or be missed for whatever reason. If your very,very nervous maybe a friend could make the call for you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

You could text him, but really you have nothing to worry about! Dr Kelly is one of the coolest guys you'll ever meet, he's super nice.

Forgive me if I've asked this before, but does HRT stop the growth of body hair much? Like, chest, stomach, legs, arms, back, even (cringe) bum?
    It would be so embarressing to have to get all that done with laser too!

Can one set up appointments via Email or would I have to ring him?

I've been putting calling on a very, very long finger as I'm super nervous and worried about it. Would greatly help if things can be arranged via email, at least initially anyway.

Just text him. I did today and he replied saying he'll try to fit me in next week. Wasn't expecting a 'within the week' after going through the HSE :pac:, thought he'd put me off for a month :D

Just text, say you want to make an appointment. I didn't even say my name. He said he'd text me back a time once he checks his diary. Simples.

hare05 wrote: »
    Just text him. I did today and he replied saying he'll try to fit me in next week. Wasn't expecting a 'within the week' after going through the HSE :pac:, thought he'd put me off for a month :D

Just text, say you want to make an appointment. I didn't even say my name. He said he'd text me back a time once he checks his diary. Simples.
    Ooh, awesome! Thank you *huggles* ^^

I just really hate ringing people, so so much. Been seeing a therapist for 3yrs and I still spend 10min writing a lengthy text (don't using using txt speak) to say I'll be late rather than ringing and telling her in the space of 30sec or something. Ah well.

I have another question though, if someone wouldn't mind answering; I noticed that the above linked contact info for various people has a GP that does blood tests and such, so when they are needed, can we just go to her/other GP to get the hormones level checked (to give to the clinic)? Always kinda assumed that required a hospital visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Forgive me if I've asked this before, but does HRT stop the growth of body hair much? Like, chest, stomach, legs, arms, back, even (cringe) bum?
    It would be so embarressing to have to get all that done with laser too!
    I'm afraid no-one can answer that question, as each individuals results will vary. However, as a general rule, HRT won't stop the growth of body hair, though it will make it thinner. Laser will help make it even thinner again.

I'm afraid no-one can answer that question, as each individuals results will vary. However, as a general rule, HRT won't stop the growth of body hair, though it will make it thinner. Laser will help make it even thinner again.

Yeah I guess I should just wait and see how it goes. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

Ideally HRT will give you an appropriate female level of body hair, but most women shave their legs etc. to be smooth. It'll certainly make shaving less of a task. Laser can be painful and expensive.

Hiyas, just thought to mention I worked up the courage to make an appointment with Dr. James Kelly, yay! Also thought I'd be waiting like two months for the session or some such, have it in two and a half weeks though which will hopefully give me time to compose myself *Rolls eyes*. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Nice one AC!

Mine's on the 12th. Getting impatient already lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Dealing with Loughlinstown is becoming truely painful. Had to cancel my privous appointment because my mum was causing a fuss. Now I have a means of getting around that if I could only get another appointment. :mad:

I'd go to see DR Curtis in London if your not prepared to wait...sadly neither the will nor the resources are there to upgrade the Irish system in the short and medium term. I had to cancel once and was rescheduled 7 months later and considered Dr Curtis,spoke to him even.

Charing cross costs money, something I'm very short on. So I have no other choice really.

Here's a question for anyone who may have been to charing cross. If I bring all my relavent documentation to Charing Cross stating that I have been assesed and refered to Loughlinstown, would I have multiple appointments to Charing Cross before receiving hormones?

What I am saying is, I have all my necessary referrals and all I need is to head to Loughlinstown. Would I have to go through all that again in the UK.

Ok I jumped the gun a bit. I rang charing cross not so long ago. Basically I can have appointments funded by the HSE, excluding travel of course. I need my own Psychiatrist to make a referral to the clinic who will then write back to the HSE seeking funding for assesments.

First of all - and this is advice for every trans person who goes to L'town - you need to treat L'town like a spoiled 4-year-old brat. I would suggest that if you haven't already told them why you cancelled, that you ring them up (or call into them) and tell them a sob-sob story about how your favourite aunt died and you had to go to the funeral. Seriously.

Dr. Curtis isn't actually Charing Cross - he's a private consultant based in London. And he is a trans man, so he'll treat you like a human being. But, he's expensive (I think it's something like £200 per consultation - maybe more). And, because he's private, you can forget about getting the HSE to pay for anything.

It would be interesting to see if the HSE would pay for you to go to Charing Cross. I doubt it - the E112 system is only used for purchasing treatment abroad where there is none available at home. Hence SRS surgeries are covered by E112, but, since L'town exists, the endocrinology side of things probably wouldn't.

Thanks very much for clearing that up Deirdre.

I have my appointment with Loughlinstown on the 20th and should (I hope) get the hormone blocker. Will I have to go there many times after that? It's a HUGE pain going there!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

I have my appointment with Loughlinstown on the 20th and should (I hope) get the hormone blocker. Will I have to go there many times after that? It's a HUGE pain going there!!! :mad:
    You usually start off on a 3-monthly cycle for maybe your first 3 or 4 visits, then maybe have a 4-monthly cycle for a short while, then end up on a 6-monthly cycle.

Of course, as you get close to things like surgery, you might find yourself going there more often for a while.

Advertisement