Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great disasters in Irish history

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

"Im sorry but i would rather the country sank to the bottom of the ocean that go back to those cnuts"

Sorry, it appears to be rather sweeping, thats all. Maybe you didn't intend to call every British person a "c*nt", but that makes me wonder who "those cnuts" actually refers to.

In fairness, if you're looking for a single-word description (in the English language, of course) of the British to sum up their collective treatment of Ireland and the Irish people over the course of centuries as the poster was, "those cnuts" is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Something pretty bad happened around 800 years ago or so.... for the life of me I cant put my finger on it!

The famine in 1798 in wexford caused by a property bubble was striking similar to the one were in today.

You can elaborate on this one anytime, sensibleken. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Something pretty bad happened around 800 years ago or so.... for the life of me I cant put my finger on it!

Are you refering to King John?

This day in Ireland 800 years ago King John of England landed at Crook, near Waterford.

He brought a large and well equipped Army with him to enforce his rule.

Johannes, grandson of the Empress [Matilda], king of the Saxons, came to Erinn, with a great fleet, in this year
    After arriving he commanded a great hosting of the men of Erinn to Ulidia, to apprehend Hugo de Laci, or to expel him from Erinn, and to capture Carraic-Fergusa.

Hugo left Erinn, and the persons who were defending the
    Carraic abandoned it, and came to the king; and the
    king put men of his own company into it.
    Annals of Loch Cé 1210 AD

Sailing from south Wales, King John landed at Crook, near Waterford, on 20 June 1210. He was to remain in Ireland throughout the rest of the summer.

His mission in Ireland was not to subdue the Irish Kings who still held power over large swathes of the Country, but instead to bring to heel the more powerful of the Anglo-Norman Lords who defied him. King John was a most unpopular Monarch in England and faced constant trouble with his Lords and Barons who resented his attempts to rule them. A ruthless and devious man he probably rightly trusted very few of his councillors who advised him nor they him.

Source > http://www.politics.ie/history/132017-day-ireland-800-years-ago.html

Hated by the English too it seems . . .

LordSutch wrote: »
    In no particular order.

The Famine
    The Great War (loss of life)
    The Rise Of Fenianism
    Leaving the Union (in the way we did)
    The sinking of RMS Leinster
    The Provos campaign
    The fall of the Celtic Tiger
    Child abuse in industrial schools.

Do all unionists begin Irish history after their families arrived here? How do they think it was possible for them to settle here in the first place?

For implementing scorched earth policies, ethnic cleansing and genocide over large swathes of late sixteenth-century Ireland, how about Humphrey Gilbert, Walter Devereux (1541-1576), Richard Bingham, George Bingham, Francis Cosby, Robert Hartpole, Francis Drake, John Norris (to name some of the most deranged and murderous of England's poppy finest)? There was even one guy, whose name escapes me at present, who wrote a letter back to London proudly detailing how he killed an Irishman with his own hands. And then we have the English poet, Edmund Spenser, glorifying it all and writing with pride about watching women and children being burnt alive (with their crops) and starved into submission in Munster in the 1560s.

The English getting a foothold in Lough Swilly in 1600, during the Nine Years War (1594-1603), by far the most important war in Irish history, was the beginning of the greatest disaster in recorded Irish history. The Battle of Kinsale in January 1602 was the symbol of that disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Do all unionists begin Irish history after their families arrived here? How do they think it was possible for them to settle here in the first place?

I just made an arbitrary list in post#63, nothing wrong with it . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Rebelheart wrote: »
    You can elaborate on this one anytime, sensibleken. ;)

Ill have to dig out Thomas Pakenhams '1798- the year of liberty' for exactness.

but the jist of it from what i remember is the price of land around wexford becoming an astronomical price due to bumper crops of wheat. the landlords borrowing loads of money from the exchequer to buy more. the bubble then burst and the landlords couldnt repay. famine ensued and the uprising gained a fair few new recruits from a previous loyal and relatively well to do pesantry who decided they got screwed over.

so like today except for the last bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Although it does not come up as much I would give the Synod of Whitby a mention

This was held in Northumbria in 663 to decide whether Easter should be celebrated according to the Irish calander or the Roman way. Up untill then kings of Northumbria and what is now scotland took a lot of their advise from the Irish monks at Iona.

The outcome was to abandon the Celtic churches way of doing things and move toward Rome. Irish Influence retreated from Britain and over the next 500 years little changed except the once closeness was forgotten.

The first englishmen to become pope,Adrian IV , issued a papal bull 'laudabiliter' granting Henry II lordship of ireland and permission to invade on the premise of reforming the Irish church and bringing it into line with Rome.

Although not the only reason for the anglo norman invasion it almost certainly would not have taken place without papal sanction. Its my opinion that the root of anglo-irish troubles actually started at whitby even though it was before either country existed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Battle of Aughrim was a bit of a disaster too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Strange how the 12th was actually the date of battle of Aughrim not Boyne..

Partition, I believe was the worst thing to happen this island, and the loss of our language.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

but at least for the first 400 years most of the settlers and invaders actually ended up "AS IRISH AS THE IRISH THEMSELVES"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This thread is a great Irish history lesson, very informative. I hope the posters on the rose tinted side of what went on in this country learn a thing or two ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

charlemont wrote: »
    Strange how the 12th was actually the date of battle of Aughrim not Boyne..

Partition, I believe was the worst thing to happen this island, and the loss of our language.
    As a consequence of the adoption of the Gregorian calendar (or "New Style" dating), the battle is now commemorated on 12 July each year.
    Thats probably why.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The twits who were bullied into voting yes to Lisbon.

The twits who were loving voting Fianna Fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

cml387 wrote: »
    I know many of you After Hours people may be unaware, but we are on the brink of a National Calamity the likes of which we have never seen before.

except this one was caused by the Irish! Hold up your hands now all you money grabbing greed bent purchasers of 'get rich quick' foreign apartrments and within two years travel NIrl to do Xmas shopping. Yeah, real heroes them lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Selfaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

except this one was caused by the Irish! Hold up your hands now all you money grabbing greed bent purchasers of 'get rich quick' foreign apartrments and within two years travel NIrl to do Xmas shopping. Yeah, real heroes them lot!!

Yep! Agree with this.....when the 'cheap' money arrived the people went to NY to shop for clothes, Bulgaria for holiday ;) accommodation and on waiting lists in BT for handbags.

Yet, the government (voted into power by the money-grabbing-bent purchasers) spent nada on the stuff of ordinary folk ie education, hospitals etc.

So now we ask for a loan, to be given to our government which will be passed on (like ALL our money) to that stellar organisation.....the BANK!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

• Advertisement

shivs wrote: »
    What?
    Okay! Point taken -still here, so not such a disaster after all! Thanks for the rude awakening.....much needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 massey148

british conquest of ireland,plantation of ulster,famine,signing the anglo irish treaty,joining the EEC and subsequent euro currency.Maybe we are destined to be slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

massey148 wrote: »
    british conquest of ireland,plantation of ulster,famine,signing the anglo irish treaty,joining the EEC and subsequent euro currency.Maybe we are destined to be slaves.

How do you tie catastrophic events of the British Conquest, Famine, and plantations with joining the EEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 massey148

Lets just watch how it plays out in the years to come.What started out as an economic community has evolved into a social/political pupet master.We've already lost our fishing and mineral rights.Policies to erode our culture and traditions.Forced to pass treaties we don't want.Now we've lost or economic sovereignty.Watch what the IMF plunders out of this country to pay off the ECB who masterminded this whole charade. We all know that Irish nutrality will be next on their agenda dragging us into some unjust war as a strategic military base or as connon fodder.Thats if they haven't starved us or forced every mothers son to emigrate to the 4 corners of the world.Another great Irish disaster.There is bad times a comin..I can feel em!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

No,its still Jedward for me.

Advertisement