Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great disasters in Irish history

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

I know many of you After Hours people may be unaware, but we are on the brink of a National Calamity the likes of which we have never seen before.

However, since we seem to have a habit of this, what other disasters have befallen us over the years to which this moment could be compared?

The defeat at the battle of the Boyne?
    The defeat at the battle of Kinsale?
    The Act of Union?
    Schillaci's goal for Italy in the 1990 world cup final?
    Sending Dustin to the Eurovision song contest?
    The moment when the words "It's a girl,Mrs. Harney " were spoken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The Famine probably wasn't a barrel of laughs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The day Biffo and Lenny called in the EFSF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

cml387 wrote: »

So that's why she has lost so much weight recently, I would have expected quintuplets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Us getting independent. The English leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

foxinsox wrote: »

Hah, we're basically a bunch of trigger happy moronic cowards. The Irish are the new French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I'd say the currant Anglo/Fianna Fail disaster is probably going to be the worst thing to happen Ireland, mainly because of the bad decisions and constant lies by Fianna Fail, we'll be as bad or worse than eastern block Europe within three to five years. If you've got cash buy gold because this mess could actually bring down the Euro and pretty quickly too by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Fianna Fail, Catholicism and the current pile of sh!te the esteemed leaders of this vatican raped backwater dived into face first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Cromwell certainly left his mark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

RTE scrapping the Riordans back in 1978.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Biddy in Glenroe. ;_;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I know many of you After Hours people may be unaware, but we are on the brink of a National Calamity the likes of which we have never seen before.

Amanda Brunker being judge on the all ireland talent show? Its more the ultimate contradiction than a real disaster....though yes, its a disaster....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Us getting independent. The English leaving.

Oh fúck. There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

?

Defeat?

The prods won.

That was only a 50% disaster

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Oh fúck. There's always one.

With therapy , they could learn to enjoy the non-judgmental attention one receives from a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nolanger wrote: »

A truly world-class drama.

However, since we seem to have a habit of this, what other disasters have befallen us over the years to which this moment could be compared?

The Act of Union?

29 September 2008, the day the government of Ireland voted to guarantee the loans of Irish banks, genuinely seems like a critical moment in Irish history.

There must, there simply must be successful prosecutions of the leaders of the Irish financial institutions who, allegedly, duped the government of Ireland into these guarantees on that night. If there are not such prosecutions, it is clear that we have been duped by the same government into believing that the banks deceived the government on that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Dudess wrote: »
    Jedward.

I'll just add Louis Walsh to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Nolanger wrote: »

Your one who played Mrs Riordan died today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Colm and Jim Jims Home Run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The Act of Union?
    I picked battle of the boyne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Your one who played Mrs Riordan died today.

Moira Hoey - very fine actress. It's a great shame so many of the episodes have been wiped, because The Riordans had the potential to become a cult classic in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ah yes sweet sweet condescension. I think Alot of people are aware of what could be down the road for us. Anyone who remembers the 80s will know what we are probably going back to.

But you are right this is and will be a big blip in the history of the nation. Maybe its something that we as a nation have to go through we will learn that proper regulation is important adequately qualified politicians are important also don't believe everything that you mate who owns a bank tells you.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I picked battle of the boyne.

Sure your shower won, for jaysus sake......

The Act of Union?

Cath na Bóinne/ The Battle of the Boyne (July 1690) was nowhere near as significant as loyalists would like to think. Cath Eachroma/ The Battle of Aughrim (July 1691) was more significant in the 1690s, while Cath Chionn tSáile/The Battle of Kinsale in 1602 (1601 if you follow the English/Julian calendar) was far more significant in Irish history. It was easily the watershed in the transfer of power from the Gaeil to the English/British in this country.

The Ulster "rebellion" in 1641 was probably the most significant date in Irish history after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Could argue 1998 peace process too (from a nationalist point of view). Peace, yeah but no United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

That guy that fell on RTE news, about a year ago now.

That was pretty devastating. It could have been any of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What do I think the greatest disaster in Irish history was? Well, the Famine would be pretty high up there. That, and the Civil War. The Partition was bull**** too. The Catholic Church becoming the bastion of morality in society that everyone respected (or just feared) throughout most of the 20th century up until the 1990s was ****e too.

But Zig and Zag going to Channel 4 tops all that.

That was ****ing the end of everything. That's when I knew, at age 9, that this country was full of **** and we were never going to amount to anything. I lost all faith after that day and I have not recently had any reason to alter my position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Ireland 3 new Zealand 98.

(Damn I must use my powers of time travel wisely)

Have we got any uncontentious ones that we could all agree on apart from Jedward?

Advertisement