Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great disasters in Irish history

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

COYW wrote: »
    Yawn. The OP is right, it was one of the great disasters in Irish history. If we were still under british rule today, we would be in the sh1t we are in and also thousands of lives wouldnt have been lost up the north.

Actually had we stayed under british rule the death toll for the entire country would have been much higher:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

In no particular order.

The Famine
    The Great War (loss of life)
    The Rise Of Fenianism
    Leaving the Union (in the way we did)
    The sinking of RMS Leinster
    The Provos campaign
    The fall of the Celtic Tiger
    Child abuse in industrial schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

Celebrity Bull****store- what muck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

nigerians.

that is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

September 12th 1951.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

September 1985 - I was born

I sincerely apologise to the citizens of Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Duggy747 wrote: »
    September 1985 - I was born

I sincerely apologise to the citizens of Ireland :(

Finally we get an apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

twinytwo wrote: »
    I cant understand how anyone sees this as a bad thing... caused mass genocide and killed and/or shipped out many of our great leaders/thinkers thus eventually leaving us with the ****e that became FF and oh lets not forget they tried to wipe out "irishness" if you will. Im sorry but i would rather the country sank to the bottom of the ocean that go back to those cnuts

impressive. The British as a people = c*nts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Diarmat McMurrough asking the normans for help in regaining his crown was the worst.

The famine in 1798 in wexford caused by a property bubble was striking similar to the one were in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    In no particular order.

The Famine
    The Great War (loss of life)
    The Rise Of Fenianism
    Leaving the Union (in the way we did)
    The sinking of RMS Leinster
    The Provos campaign
    The fall of the Celtic Tiger
    Child abuse in industrial schools.

I'm suprised your list doesn't include "development of a spine"....

• Advertisement

impressive. The British as a people = c*nts?

Its a part of their history that is talked about much in england even though it as much a part of their history as it is ours. Most would like to pretend that most of what went on over here didnt actually happen.

And no where did i say the british as a people... that like saying all germans are as bad as hitler

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm suprised your list doesn't include "development of a spine"....

Oh yes, and the spire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

The "Famine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Its a part of their history that is talked about much in england even though it as much a part of their history as it is ours. Most would like to pretend that most of what went on over here didnt actually happen.

And no where did i say the british as a people... that like saying all germans are as bad as hitler

"Im sorry but i would rather the country sank to the bottom of the ocean that go back to those cnuts"

Sorry, it appears to be rather sweeping, thats all. Maybe you didn't intend to call every British person a "c*nt", but that makes me wonder who "those cnuts" actually refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

aDeener wrote: »
    The "Famine"

There was no famine in Ireland it was a starvation. For a famine there has to be no food. The Irish had loads of food it was just taken off them and shipped abroad.

There was no famine in Ireland it was a starvation. For a famine there has to be no food. The Irish had loads of food it was just taken off them and shipped abroad.

Ireland was a net exporter of food during the famine years... the only crop that could be grown in abundance on the poor land in the west of the country was the spud. thus when the blight hit we were ****ed.. throw in the fact that the queen tried to blocade turkish ships bringing food from entering irish ports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The Arranmore Island Boat tragedy was a real disaster.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/arranmoretragedy.htm

The Irish had loads of food it was just taken off them and shipped abroad.

So are you saying that they were in effect murdered?

How else would you describe it?

Ireland was a net exporter of food during the famine years... the only crop that could be grown in abundance on the poor land in the west of the country was the spud. thus when the blight hit we were ****ed.. throw in the fact that the queen tried to blocade turkish ships bringing food from entering irish ports

The humble spud wasn't the sole source of food for the Irish. They had a good diet of fruit, veg, meat, poultry, fish, bread etc. Losing the spud on it's own wouldn't have effected them too much. What killed them was when the British removed all other sources of food and shipped it out of the country.

http://www.irishholocaust.org/thefoodremoval

• Advertisement

What would you call it?

How else would you describe it?

I have the Famine at the top of my list (post#63), the number one disaster in Irish history without doubt, not so sure though that you can just blame the 'Brits' in such a simple fashion, much as you would like to . . .

I have the Famine at the top of my list (post#64), the number one disaster in Irish history without doubt, not so sure though that you can just blame the 'Brits' in such a simple fashion, much as you would like to . . .

had they not invaded the country will the blight would have happened the famine prob would not have imo... and even if it had it wouldnt have been nearly as bad as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I have the Famine at the top of my list (post#64), the number one disaster in Irish history without doubt, not so sure though that you can just blame the 'Brits' in such a simple fashion, much as you would like to . . .

Read a history book and educate yourself

If the blame doesn't lie with them then where does it lie? Do a bit of research on the subject. It's well documented that tons of food were shipped out of the country daily under armed guard. Relief ships full of food were turned away from Irish ports and re-directed to Britain where it was sold on to others.

The only one's who had a hand in any of that were the British so who do you think is to blame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

hence the inverted commas ;)

aDeener wrote: »
    hence the inverted commas ;)

Sorry. It's been a long day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Charlie Bird returning to Ireland after discovering the USA was a big place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Read a history book and educate yourself

Really :rolleyes:

Advertisement