Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great disasters in Irish history

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

I was paying for some groceries in the supermarket yesterday and she gave me change of a €10 instead of a €20, I just mentioned the mistake and she refunded the correct amount of change. Truly the greatest disaster in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

the reformation we would be just fine if uk had stayed catholic.

the famine.

civil war gave us FF and FG so that was a complete disaster.

joining the single currency (ok in hindsight).

we have lost all the money from the first real celtic tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The first day an Irishman decided to shave his balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

sheesh wrote: »
    the reformation we would be just fine if uk had stayed catholic.

That's a very, very very mistaken view of Irish history. In fact, the principal reason why the reformation failed was not religious but rather colonial/political/militaristic: the English put the conquest of Ireland above the religious conversion of the Irish. By the time the English had defeated the Irish militarily and were ready to promote Protestantism, the (Catholic) counter-reformation had gained a foothold among the native Irish as a symbol of resistance to the English conquest.

Thereafter religion worked as a suitable justification for English/British power and Irish exclusion from power in Ireland. Prior to religion, race - "wild Irishe"; "barbarous Irishe" etc - was used to deprive the Irish of power in Ireland. Colonisers everywhere need to create a division to give themselves a privileged position in the native society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Voting 'yes' for Lisbon because it would help create jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Rebelheart wrote: »
    "wild Irishe"; "barbarous Irishe"

Thank God we live in a more enlightened age where no Irish person would ever use any derogatory language about people from other countries or cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Guinness costing more than £1 a pint. It was as momentous as Roger Bannister breaking the four minute mile barrier.

I'm sure we can chalk that disaster against FF too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The entire history of Ireland is nothing more than a shopping list of disasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Augmerson wrote: »
    The Catholic Church becoming the bastion of morality in society that everyone respected (or just feared) throughout most of the 20th century up until the 1990s was ****e too.

This.

Since Independence, that is the biggest disaster to befall us.

We are still paying for it and that isn't talking about the financial cost of abuse cases. Homosexuality was illegal to the mid 90's, no divorce until the same, we export abortions and tbh, I don't blame politicians of running scared of the issue, archaic family law system etc. etc.

Held us back for decades until the EU dragged us kicking and screaming into the 20th century.

Economic stuff isn't new, we struggled through and suffered from stupid policies before, the 30's to the 50's, the 70's and 80's, we'll do it again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Thank God we live in a more enlightened age where no Irish person would ever use any derogatory language about people from other countries or cultures.

That chip on your shoulder is only getting bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Oh fúck. There's always one.

I did it wondering would it get a reaction from rebelheart. You're too predictable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

on a serious level, in our generation, the worst disasters on this island was the omagh bombing.

the disgraceful scenes of the banking and property crash over the last 2 years are someway back in pale significence but are still huge disasters for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

Bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

cml387 wrote: »
    I know many of you After Hours people may be unaware, but we are on the brink of a National Calamity the likes of which we have never seen before.

Schillaci's goal for Italy in the 1990 world cup final?

We got to the world cup final :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Fianna Fáil

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

CoalBucket wrote: »
    We got to the world cup final :eek:

and Mary robinson killed Paisley with her bare hands as we took Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

That's a very, very very mistaken view of Irish history. In fact, the principal reason why the reformation failed was not religious but rather colonial/political/militaristic: the English put the conquest of Ireland above the religious conversion of the Irish. By the time the English had defeated the Irish militarily and were ready to promote Protestantism, the (Catholic) counter-reformation had gained a foothold among the native Irish as a symbol of resistance to the English conquest.

Thereafter religion worked as a suitable justification for English/British power and Irish exclusion from power in Ireland. Prior to religion, race - "wild Irishe"; "barbarous Irishe" etc - was used to deprive the Irish of power in Ireland. Colonisers everywhere need to create a division to give themselves a privileged position in the native society.

Yeah actually I thought of that afterwards that they brought over settlers anyway to ensure that they had good british stock. ah well:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kincsem wrote: »
    Guinness costing more than £1 a pint.

Now my college lecturer may have been lying.

But we told there was once a government minister who said if the price of a pint ever went above 1 punt they should all just resign.

Meaning it'd be a real shock to everyone and pretty significant

I never did track down a reference so probably a lie. Not sure why I remembered it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

Just call us! We'll come to youuuuuu!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

foxinsox wrote: »

Nice link, when I seen "The Rise Of Fenianism", my brain read: 'The Rise of Feminism' ..

I was thinking, that's a bit harsh .. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Where to start?

The Catholic Church - who held this country back socially for decades, to the point where we were effectively two generations behind the rest of the developed world by the early 1990s.

Successive governments - who mismanaged the country to such a shocking degree and did not prioritise capital spending on infrastructure, roads in particular, to the point where we were two generations behind the rest of the developed world by the early 1990s.

The current shower for unleashing a monster of credit recklessness and ruined the only real economic boom we had. At least they left something to show for it - the new motorways. Enjoy them while you can still afford to fiull your car's petrol tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ireland having to bum off the IMF would probably be one of the greatest disasters to hit this country.

When one borrows from a bank to buy property one must hand over the deeds to the lending institute likewise when Ireland gets a e60 Billion bailout we may as well loose our sovereignty as we hand over the deeds of the state to these globalists to enslave us for generations to come..

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Catholic Church - who held this country back socially for decades, to the point where we were effectively two generations behind the rest of the developed world by the early 1990s.

Successive governments - who mismanaged the country to such a shocking degree and did not prioritise capital spending on infrastructure, roads in particular, to the point where we were two generations behind the rest of the developed world by the early 1990s.

you forgot to add the Polish, the roma, the muslims and RTE :rolleyes:

you could at least try to find an original direction for your anger

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

you forgot to add the Polish, the roma, the muslims and RTE :rolleyes:

you could at least try to find an original direction for your anger

Er hello? I don't have any beef with any of the groups you mentioned?:confused::confused:

...although I do think RTE is just a essentially a propaganda mouthpiece of the FF/Green grubbernment.:pac:

So where's your anger directed at then so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Us getting independent. The English leaving.

I cant understand how anyone sees this as a bad thing... caused mass genocide and killed and/or shipped out many of our great leaders/thinkers thus eventually leaving us with the ****e that became FF and oh lets not forget they tried to wipe out "irishness" if you will. Im sorry but i would rather the country sank to the bottom of the ocean that go back to those cnuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

twinytwo wrote: »
    I cant understand how anyone sees this as a bad thing... caused mass genocide and killed and/or shipped out many of our great leaders/thinkers thus eventually leaving us with the ****e that became FF and oh lets not forget they tried to wipe out "irishness" if you will. Im sorry but i would rather the country sank to the bottom of the ocean that go back to those cnuts

Yawn. The OP is right, it was one of the great disasters in Irish history. If we were still under british rule today, we would not be in the sh1t we are in and also thousands of lives wouldnt have been lost up the north.

Advertisement