Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Strong Leader/ Dictator

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

bnt wrote: »
    I don't know if you meant that as a joke - vote for a Dictator? - but look at what happened in Germany: after two German Federal elections in 1932, they went from "free and fair elections" to a dictatorship in about three months.

After the second elections in November 1932, the Nazi party (NSDAP) was the largest in the Reichstag, but without a clear majority - a bit like the UK after the last election. The Nazis had to form a coalition government, and Hitler was appointed Chancellor in January 1933 after some political manoeuvring; the President (von Hindenburg) didn't want to do it, because he could see that Hitler was trouble, but was left with no choice. They passed a few laws straight away, but the real start of the dictatorship was the burning of the Reichstag in late February: the President passed a decree authorising emergency powers, and the rest was just a matter of ... coordination. a.k.a. Gleichschaltung. Alles in Ordnung, Jawohl? :eek:

Have you been watching the History Channel again !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Have you been watching the History Channel again !
    Is that a question! If so, the answer is no, I just read?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A fool like me :pac:

Indeed.

Advertisement