Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Strong Leader/ Dictator

Options
  • 15-11-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

Cowen, Kenny, Gilmore
    We need a leader who will make the hard decisions that need to be made. None of these party leaders are capable of that imo, they are all too tied up in the public sector/unions and other self-serving organisations of the state. I dont want to see a potential leader of this nation talking to the people through the Late Late show to some over paid entertainer, a leader would be out talking to the people. Not arguing like children in the house of lies that is the Dail
    Our model of British parlimentary democracy is not working, maybe we need someone to reorganise our state, so the party politics are wiped from the landscape
    As soon as you say the word dictator people get all judgemental but as Anakin Skywalker said "if it works"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah - dictatorships always work out really well. Let's have one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hey, it's working for Zimbabwe, kinda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'd like a leader that shouts from a balcony every morning to address the people. Arm waving and fist pumping is preferred but optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Anakin Skywalker said "if it works"

“People try to say it can be a bad influence, like they try to say with video games and movies. However, we say from the beginning you have to be 18 or older. You know what you're going to get with us because we've labeled ourselves from the start.”

Ron Jeremy. (could be talking about voting Fianna Fail.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

As soon as you say the word dictator people get all judgemental but as Anakin Skywalker said "if it works"

Actually, I get all judgemental if people say 'as Anakin Skywalker said'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

squod wrote: »
    Ron Jeremy. (could be talking about voting Fianna Fail.)

At least Ron Jeremy doesn't rely on special effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Our model of British parlimentary democracy is not working, maybe we need someone to reorganise our state, so the party politics are wiped from the landscape"

Where works? Example please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Ron Jeremy's a hard working guy, who always stands up to be counted. I'm sure he'd probe the dodgy banks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

snyper wrote: »
    Where works? Example please

The Roman Empire was fairly successful imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ron Jeremy's a hard working guy, who always stands up to be counted. I'm sure he'd probe the dodgy banks too.

And if he turned out to be useless at that, he still has a massive knob :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So it's agreed. Ron Jeremy will be our new benevolent dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea. We need that.

Start a party, i'll vote for them.

But i keep my current cloths, im not wearing any ghey roman ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is this the wrong thread to start getting nostalgic for Charlie Haughey only when someone mentioned dictator...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You'll be happy assuming the role of slave then, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this thread.

Someone called the slaughter advocates government purge, the inaugeration of a dictator and the reason for doing same is because Anakin Skywalker said so.

The tyranny doesn't bother me so much as the idea that you haven't thought this whole thing through. I mean if you quoted Yoda I think your proposition would carry more weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It's basically exactly what the country needs. No need to go as far as dictator but we are desperately in need of a leader who basically doesn't care about the money, the power, the job so much as getting the best job done for the country. Someone who isn't staking a long-term political career on the line, so that every decision is no longer weighed up against personal goals instead of the national good.

What we have is a bunch of glorified local councillor asshats in redundant parties who would spend time, effort and money arguing over the colour of grass and promptly vote themselves a few extra holidays to reflect on their debate instead of actually getting something done.

The only problem is the electorate doesn't have the imagination or the balls to elect someone to fill that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Hayte wrote: »

Someone called the slaughter advocates government purge, the inaugeration of a dictator and the reason for doing same is because Anakin Skywalker said so.

The tyranny doesn't bother me so much as the idea that you haven't thought this whole thing through. I mean if you quoted Yoda I think your proposition would carry more weight.

Ok you get Enda so, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

prinz wrote: »
    It's basically exactly what the country needs. No need to go as far as dictator but we are desperately in need of a leader who basically doesn't care about the money, the power, the job so much as getting the best job done for the country. Someone who isn't staking a long-term political career on the line, so that every decision is weighed up against personal goals instead of the national good.

Those two comments make absolutely no sense.

Anyway, the Dalai Lama is busy and Gandhi is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Those two comments make absolutely no sense..

Yeah they do, in my head. :pac: Edited for clarity.

As for the second part, that's why nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Would a dictator have done any more damage to the country than FF ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Michael O'Leary?

it would either be really good, or really really bad. i havent decided yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

De Dannan wrote: »
    With a dictator I suppose we would have the advantage of knowing who actually ended up with our looted state finances while we were reduced to eating cabbage 6 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

The Roman Empire started out with a democratic senate. Its only when the status of emperor was brought in that things started to go bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Anakin Skywalker also said ....
    Anakin: You're asking me to be rational. That is something that I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish I could just wish away my feelings, but I can't.
    Anakin: If Obi-Wan caught me doing that, he would be very grumpy.

Anakin: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again... I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you- I can't breath. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me... what can I do?- I will do anything you ask.

Anakin: So have you, grown more beautiful... for a senator, I mean

Anakin: One day, I will become the greatest Jedi EVER. I will even learn how to stop people from dying.

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Anakin: Oh, no, I'd be too frightened to tease a senator!

Basically he's the galaxys biggest doofus.

The dictatorship of Cincinnatus in ancient Rome would be considered a successful one. He took power for a short time, defeated Rome's enemies, then famously returned to his plow, as the Roman dictatorship was supposed to work. He was a great hero of the Roman republic, and a model for George Washington when he was the first President of the United States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Hayte wrote: »

His threads are of the winding up variety.

His threads are of the winding up variety.

If you dont have something to say on the topic dont comment just to get your post count up or whatever trolling you are up to today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

If you dont have something to say on the topic dont comment just to get your post count up or whatever trolling you are up to today

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Anakin was a whiny kid what we need is Lord Vadar. If he's not availible can we get Chad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Are you really asking? Lets look at some examples that historically didn't work out so well:

Kim Jong Il/North Korea - Comparing the state to the high tech juggernaut this is South Korea is like watching an instructional video in how to FAIL.

Pol Pot/Cambodia - Yeah, compulsory agrarian collectivism really worked good.

Big Joe/Soviet Union - The 20th century definition of getting things done. Shame about the incalculable loss of life.

Advertisement