Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity...prestigious or overrated?????

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

UL people and Stanford people, Trinners graduates are not really expected to work after college I guess.

Never thought I'd see Stanford and UL in the same sentence. UL when you mean University of London perhaps (as was the norm prior to Limerick RTC becoming a "university").

Oh yeah, the dole queues are full of Trinners graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see Stanford and UL in the same sentence. Oh yeah, the dole queues are full of Trinners graduates.
    NiamhTCD's 'brother'? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

All I can say is, I think the standard on my course (languages) was very, very high and they expected a lot from us. I went in as a strong A-Level student and still found a lot of the work quite difficult. I worked pretty consistently (not overly hard, but was far from lazy, missed very few classes) and I missed out on a First, whereas I know people who can barely spell who have Firsts from the likes of DIT. There is no doubt in my mind that these same people wouldn't have managed a 2:2 in Trinity. I gave grinds in my subjects during college and after graduation and couldn't believe how incredibly easy the work was at some colleges (yes DIT, I'm looking at you again). Some of the students were being given the sort of essays I'd done in third year of secondary school and complaining about how difficult they were. They really expected to be spoonfed every last thing. One particular gem of a student complained that the teacher had asked them to write a paragraph on air travel but hadn't given them the word for 'air hostess'. Jesus Christ like, ever heard of a dictionary? How do these people even get into college?

I just did an MA at one of the top ten universities in the world, with people who had studied at Oxbridge, Harvard and MIT and found the standard similar to what had been expected at Trinity. I was one of the strongest students in the class and found that doing a reasonable amount of work guaranteed good grades. I very rarely got above 65 in Trinity essays, whereas I often got 75+ on the MA. So I think Trinity's reputation is deserved, for my subjects anyway. It certainly isn't a Mickey Mouse college, handing out degrees like sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You're either an extreme right-wing catholic or upper-class disgruntled protestant who doesn't like to engage in common chitter-chatter.

Or I dislike LOL RANDOM HERP DERP "comedy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Baza210 wrote: »
    Or I dislike LOL RANDOM HERP DERP "comedy".

You just hate it because Dermot Morgan and Frank Kelly went to UCD and Ardal Ó Hanlon went to [what is now] DCU. I bet if I told you that Pauline McLynn (Mrs. Doyle) went to Trinity you'd immediately say something like, "Well, in fairness, she was the only character I actually liked".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Never thought I'd see Stanford and UL in the same sentence. UL when you mean University of London perhaps (as was the norm prior to Limerick RTC becoming a "university").

May I ask where your hatred for and constant trolling against UL stems from?

Does is involve a UL staff member and one of your female family members and their refusal to call the morning after by chance?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You just hate it because Dermot Morgan and Frank Kelly went to UCD and Ardal Ó Hanlon went to [what is now] DCU. I bet if I told you that Pauline McLynn (Mrs. Doyle) went to Trinity you'd immediately say something like, "Well, in fairness, she was the only character I actually liked".

Stop wasting bytes.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Stop wasting bytes.

That's the most offensive thing that anyone could ever say on an internet forum. Shame!

How many bytes have I wasted so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This thread is approaching its death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Jonathan wrote: »
    This thread is approaching its death.
    Thank f*ck for that.

• Advertisement

TBH, students in Ireland need to be more united, especially in these times and I know this totally goes against the general consensus I portrayed throughout this thread (for my pathetic unproductive bickering I do apologies), yes I am a hypocrite. Perhaps if people from UCD, Trinity and elsewhere could stop throwing cheap shots at one another and in fairness I wasn't the only one doing things like that on this thread. Division amongst students is the last thing we need right now. Off the internet, I get on quite well with people I know from Trinity and we never talk about rankings and quality of this, that and the other so why can't the same be applied to the internet? And yes, the only place where I do find a true sense of bitter division amongst both UCD and TCD students is on the internet, not so much in the real world.

(Those who'd like to view this post as the greatest epic fail in the history of boards.ie can do so but at least, for once, I'm being honest)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

TBH, students in Ireland need to be more united, especially in these times and I know this totally goes against the general consensus I portrayed throughout this thread (for my pathetic unproductive bickering I do apologies), yes I am a hypocrite. Perhaps if people from UCD, Trinity and elsewhere could stop throwing cheap shots at one another and in fairness I wasn't the only one doing things like that on this thread. Division amongst students is the last thing we need right now. Off the internet, I get on quite well with people I know from Trinity and we never talk about rankings and quality of this, that and the other so why can't the same be applied to the internet? And yes, the only place where I do find a true sense of bitter division amongst both UCD and TCD students is on the internet, not so much in the real world.

(Those who'd like to view this post as the greatest epic fail in the history of boards.ie can do so but at least, for once, I'm being honest)

FAIL FAIL FAIL UCD ARE SHIT, UCD ARE SHIT LOLOLOLLLLL

andrew wrote: »
    FAIL FAIL FAIL UCD ARE SHIT, UCD ARE SHIT LOLOLOLLLLL

I only decided to say that after watching that arsehole of a UCD graduate (Cowen) and that arsehole of a Trinity graduate (Lenihan) talking shite at that press conference earlier tonight and realised that we need unity, not division so we can get those bastards out!

(mods I apologies for my use of obscene language).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I only decided to say that after watching that arsehole of a UCD graduate (Cowen) and that arsehole of a Trinity graduate (Lenihan) talking shite at that press conference earlier tonight and realised that we need unity, not division so we can get those bastards out!

(mods I apologies for my use of obscene language).

I was just joking, I agree with what you said; a good post amongst what has mostly been silly rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

no I mean University of Limerick. Good engineers. Trinity engineers can barely add. Which is useless to an engineer.

I am sure the classics courses are alright though.

no I mean University of Limerick. Good engineers. Trinity engineers can barely add. Which is useless to an engineer.

pffft. clearly you've never heard of computers. they can add. and subtract. who needs to be able to do it if they won't ever need to be able to?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Enough is enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement