Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity...prestigious or overrated?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

A university with a much longer history based in the capital of the country is obviously going to have more students and lectures, thus greatly increasing its publications and its international rankings...

I'm not sure that the quantity of students, lectures and publications is really a metric for those rankings.

I would imagine, however, that they attempt to base it on the quality of the work being done. I'm open to being proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

boblong wrote: »
    I'm not sure the quantity of students, lectures and publications is really a metric for those rankings.

I would imagine, however, that they attempt to base it on the quality of the work being done. I'm open to being proven wrong though.

AFAIK the ranking are based heavily on:
    -Size e.g. the amount of students etc.
    -Publications e.g. how much work conducted in the university is published. The work would have to have some sort of quality to be published in the first place. More lecturers would mean more publications.
    -Facilities. I'd assume that this covers the range of subjects offered and of course the educational ones.

I think that each department is given a score and then an average is calculated. I remember reading something about the ranking before but I can't find a link :(

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Personally I think it's slightly over-rated.
    My department in particular is a shambles with deadlines for assignments being drawn up/forgotten about on a whim. The standard of lecturers is also below what I had expected, as are the facilities in general.
    I feel the prestige associated with the university is built more on history than current standards of excellence. But then again I can't comment on other departments so I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Equium wrote: »
    Personally I think it's slightly over-rated.
    My department in particular is a shambles with deadlines for assignments being drawn up/forgotten about on a whim. The standard of lecturers is also below what I had expected, as are the facilities in general.
    I feel the prestige associated with the university is built more on history than current standards of excellence. But then again I can't comment on other departments so I could be wrong.

There's certainly a "living off the legend" element alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    There's certainly a "living off the legend" element alright.

Long may it continue though (assuming I do actually graduate).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

In before 'University ranking tables mean nothing.'

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭underthetides

Having studied in both TCD and UCD I feel I can legitimately comment on this. Currently a TCD student.

In terms of teaching and academic challenges, Trinity is far superior. Everything is more personal, should you have a problem you can get talking to the relevant person in no-time, in UCD you'll be left with emailing about seven different people. I found the academic standard far, far higher in Trinity. In my department at least, exams and essay questions were simply more difficult than their UCD counterparts (yes, I did compare one for one). An essay of mine received a 2.2 in Trinity and an essay of my friend's on a similar topic recieved a first in UCD. The standards were pretty much the same, if anything, mine was better. I had a similar experience with someone I know in NUIM, studying the same course.

What I will concede is that, facility-wise, UCD trumps Trinity, hands down. The opening hours of the TCD library, alongside vital things like laptop plugs, printing, helpfulness of library staff, etc - disgraceful compared to UCD, and I from what I hear, NUIM as well. In terms of small but important things like a reliable internet service, a decent restaurant, printing facilities, online resources for students, Trinity is a disgrace compared to its supposedly 'inferior' counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Having studied in both TCD and UCD I feel I can legitimately comment on this. Currently a TCD student.

In terms of teaching and academic challenges, Trinity is far superior. Everything is more personal, should you have a problem you can get talking to the relevant person in no-time, in UCD you'll be left with emailing about seven different people. I found the academic standard far, far higher in Trinity. In my department at least, exams and essay questions were simply more difficult than their UCD counterparts (yes, I did compare one for one). An essay of mine received a 2.2 in Trinity and an essay of my friend's on a similar topic recieved a first in UCD. The standards were pretty much the same, if anything, mine was better. I had a similar experience with someone I know in NUIM, studying the same course.

What I will concede is that, facility-wise, UCD trumps Trinity, hands down. The opening hours of the TCD library, alongside vital things like laptop plugs, printing, helpfulness of library staff, etc - disgraceful compared to UCD, and I from what I hear, NUIM as well. In terms of small but important things like a reliable internet service, a decent restaurant, printing facilities, online resources for students, Trinity is a disgrace compared to its supposedly 'inferior' counterparts.

Wouldn't it all depend on what you're studying though? I mean Trinity is obviously going to be far superior in Arts & Humanities. You can downgrade an entire university just because it has one bad faculty.

Wouldn't it all depend on what you're studying though? I mean Trinity is obviously going to be far superior in Arts & Humanities. You can downgrade an entire university just because it has one bad faculty.

Hey! Don't forget Physics and the life sciences (some of our best departments I would say). Also, our computer science department is one of the oldest in the world (1973) - refer to it as the SCSS at your peril!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Exasperated_

It's Ireland's best and I can clearly see why.

• Advertisement

Hey! Don't forget Physics and the life sciences (some of our best departments I would say). Also, our computer science department is one of the oldest in the world (1973) - refer to it as the SCSS at your peril!

Does Trinity have a contingent working over in CERN? I don't think so, UCD however does. UCD really does excel over Trinity in the area of Experimental Physics (and probably most of the material sciences, including engineering). Oh and also, just because one of your departments, i.e., your computer science department, is one of the oldest in the world, doesn't make it the best in the world or in Ireland for that matter. I would sooner go to UCD or Maynooth to study Computer Science (or even DCU). Trinity is and has always been renounced for its Arts, Humanities and Law faculties and it is from these faculties that it gains most of its 'prestige', sometimes this air of 'prestige' can rub off some of its other faculties which really is disingenuous in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Does Trinity have a contingent working over in CERN? I don't think so, UCD however does. UCD really does excel over Trinity in the area of Experimental Physics (and probably most of the material sciences, including engineering). Oh and also, just because one of your departments, i.e., your computer science department, is one of the oldest in the world, doesn't make it the best in the world or in Ireland for that matter. I would sooner go to UCD or Maynooth to study Computer Science (or even DCU). Trinity is and has always been renounced for its Arts, Humanities and Law faculties and it is from these faculties that it gains most of its 'prestige', sometimes this air of 'prestige' can rub off some of its other faculties which really is disingenuous in my opinion.

Both colleges can throw statistics like that around, if anything at the end of the day it evens out overall and you're worse for caring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I don't think TCD CS has been the same since the best and brightest left to form Havok.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I don't think TCD CS has been the same since the best and brightest left to form Havok.

Or since the points for CS on its own apparently dropped to 350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The points wouldn't have dropped so far if it were the best CS course in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

UL is not a university AFAIC. There's no theology and classics department for staters. It's a glorified State-funded regional polytech and is driven by politics, not intellectualism. That said, there's plenty of pop studying going on at Trinity.

The only thing preventing us from assimilating fully into one of seven homogenised HEA-approved universities is the power of our 400 year legacy.[/B]
    a
    chip on your shoulder there perhaps? University of Limerick is not a University? I've heard it all now :D The clue is in the name ;) Any particular reason why you consider UL a kip? If you've ever studied its course structure then you will know its the top university in Ireland for sports sciences. Hence the presence of the country's national sports academy at Plassey adjacent to the college. Its bio-sciences department is also highly regarded.

This I don't get, do you understand how CAO points "work"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

grenache wrote: »
    a
    If you've ever studied its course structure then you will know its the top university in Ireland for sports sciences. Hence the presence of the country's national sports academy at Plassey adjacent to the college. Its bio-sciences department is also highly regarded.

Yep, has some world respected sports science contributors.

Does Trinity have a contingent working over in CERN? I don't think so, UCD however does. UCD really does excel over Trinity in the area of Experimental Physics (and probably most of the material sciences, including engineering).
    Ah yes, because if you're not involved at CERN, you can't publish Nature papers or get accepted in the top 10 physics journals. How many papers from your beloved UCD have been accepted in the top 10 Physics journals over the last 10 years versus Trinity? Oh, and we have a CRANN that's currently firing on all cylinders and is pumping out the papers. IMO, Physics is the best department in Trinity.
    Oh and also, just because one of your departments, i.e., your computer science department, is one of the oldest in the world, doesn't make it the best in the world or in Ireland for that matter.
    It's still one of the oldest and has a legacy that other institutions would die for.
    I would sooner go to UCD or Maynooth to study Computer Science (or even DCU).
    Lol. Is that because you do a year in a multinational and are therefore "better qualified", more "hands on" and more "practically minded"? If you want to learn how to program, DCU is right up your street. If you want to learn the science of computers, Trinity is your only man.
    Trinity is and has always been renounced for its Arts, Humanities and Law faculties and it is from these faculties that it gains most of its 'prestige', sometimes this air of 'prestige' can rub off some of its other faculties which really is disingenuous in my opinion.
    Do you know anything about the research in Physics and the life sciences that goes on in Trinity? Also, the school of medicine is up there with the best in the world.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Yep, has some world respected sports science contributors.

Because "sports science" is of great intellectual importance to the future of humanity. If I had a penny for every gym-goer I see on various popular TV shows who fancies an easy body beautiful by getting a job in the local gym, I'd be a rich man.

Same goes for "degrees" in "photography", "animation" and "tourism".

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    a
    University of Limerick is not a University? I've heard it all now

It's more of a regional technical training college. Stamping the word "university" on it doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Points for CS are low because of the HL maths requirement from what I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

How do you know when somebody's been to Trinity College?
    Because they tell you.

(it's a joke guys!)

Because "sports science" is of great intellectual importance to the future of humanity. If I had a penny for every gym-goer I see on various popular TV shows who fancies an easy body beautiful by getting a job in the local gym, I'd be a rich man.

Same goes for "degrees" in "photography", "animation" and "tourism".

Thats very true, we might as well write off all art's and social science degrees so, we all know that they are all BS really :D.

Trinity isn't so great at the moment now is it? :rolleyes:

It's more of a regional technical training college. Stamping the word "university" on it doesn't make it so.

Pretty sure you can't just stamp the word university on it :rolleyes:

But sure enjoy your time in Trinity, with your tiny campus, lack of facilities and a campus with a superiority complex (nothing like yourself might I add ;) ).

You are doing the general consensus of Trinity no help with your sneering attitude of the countries other universities, all of which give equal degrees; I'd much rather you kept that attitude for the ones attending ITs amongst us :D

Ah yes, because if you're not involved at CERN, you can't publish Nature papers or get accepted in the top 10 physics journals. How many papers from your beloved UCD have been accepted in the top 10 Physics journals over the last 10 years versus Trinity? Oh, and we have a CRANN that's currently firing on all cylinders and is pumping out the papers. IMO, Physics is the best department in Trinity.

It's still one of the oldest and has a legacy that other institutions would die for.

Lol. Is that because you do a year in a multinational and are therefore "better qualified", more "hands on" and more "practically minded"? If you want to learn how to program, DCU is right up your street.
    If you want to learn the science of computers, Trinity is your only man.

Do you know anything about the research in Physics and the life sciences that goes on in Trinity? Also, the school of medicine is up there with the best in the world.

Do you know the difference between theoretical physics and experimental physics? I said experimental physics in UCD was streets ahead. For instance last month it was UCD scientists who experimentally captured the first direct images of theoretically predicted monopoles, and yes, these finding were published in Nature Physics. What was the last major experimental physics accomplishment of Trinity? The only thing Trinity can boost about when it comes to Physics is Hamilton & Walton the former who lived well over a hundred years ago and the later who did his experimentation in the 1930's.

And about computer science in DCU, if it's going to train me and make me a more productive citizen then I'd rather go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Engineering in Trinity is brought down by the Civil department.
    The mechanical department is well thought of, the electrical/electronics department is also well thought of.
    That's not to say that civil is bad, it's just the worst of the 3.
    Computer Science in Trinity is quite strong.

And to reply to trinity being bigger:
    Trinity has 11,000 undergrad (of 15,914) registered students
    UL has 9,000 undergrad (of 11,300) students, that's not that much of a difference, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Pretty sure you can't just stamp the word university on it :rolleyes:

But sure enjoy your time in Trinity, with your tiny campus, lack of facilities and a campus with a superiority complex (nothing like yourself might I add ;) ).

You are doing the general consensus of Trinity no help with your sneering attitude of the countries other universities, all of which give equal degrees; I'd much rather you kept that attitude for the ones attending ITs amongst us :D

Tiny campus

(?)

• Advertisement

And about computer science in DCU, if it's going to train me and make me a more productive citizen then I'd rather go there.

They don't have CS in DCU as far as I know. They have "Computer Applications" and "Enterprise Computing". There is a difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement