Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland to open 105 shops in Ireland

Options

Comments

Final words, courtesy of the first result of a google search for a definition for inflation.

Inflation is an increase in the price of a basket of goods and services that is representative of the economy as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

bigneacy wrote: »
    too good for it, are you?

I'd say going by his posts that I have read,he'd be completely wasted,stacking shelves.He probably is too good for it.What of it?Is ambition a crime now?

I'll stack shelves, for 25 euro an hour minimum.Maybe I'm just a snob.But I can make that kind of money any number of ways(it's called resourcefulness) so why would I accept less?

Is stacking shelves all you are good for ?If so, best of luck with it, but don't expect others to languish with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

You have not understood my point. Iceland will employ people who would have otherwise worked for smaller Irish retailers. Sure, Iceland "create" jobs, but these jobs are lost elsewhere.

I honestly dont think this will happen the whole 'it will affect other retailers down here'

If anything it might bring money back in to the retailers here, rather then everyone rush up north to do their shopping?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    As long as they don't bring Bjork I don't mind. :pac:

or Kerrie Katona !! yikes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd say going by his posts that I have read,he'd be completely wasted,stacking shelves.He probably is too good for it.What of it?Is ambition a crime now?

I'll stack shelves, for 25 euro an hour minimum.Maybe I'm just a snob.But I can make that kind of money any number of ways(it's called resourcefulness) so why would I accept less?

Is stacking shelves all you are good for ?If so, best of luck with it, but don't expect others to languish with you.

The grammar Nazi’s are going to get you, truly awful. How dare you have the cheek to call yourself a snob!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

How is it ambitious to be a job snob?

I would prefer to stack shelves than sit on my arse waiting for "the perfect job". Also if someone wants to progress in retail, stacking shelves would be starting from the bottom. I know a good few people that are managers having done years of hard work climbing up the ladder. The fact that you say people in retail aren't ambitious really pinpoints your ignorance on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Who the hell said it was going to turn Ireland around?!

It was supposed to be a bit of good news for people who had all but given up on this country.
    It's just hot air to distract us from the complete disaster this country is in. Feed some "good news" to the plebs and keep them believing things are getting better, while the bankers **** off with all the money.
    We need these companies to come in and give us jobs if we are to function in any way as an economy again.

Don't you get it? They are not giving us any jobs. If one Iceland store opens up with 20 employees*, and 6 nearby local stores with 3 emplyees go out of business, the net result, no job gains.

(*They are opening 104 stores and creating 2000 jobs, that is 20 jobs per store. )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't you get it? They are not giving us any jobs. If one Iceland store opens up with 20 employees*, and 6 nearby local stores with 3 emplyees go out of business, the net result, no job gains.

(*They are opening 2000 stores and creating 104 jobs, that is 20 jobs per store. )

Wouldn't that be a net increase of two jobs?

And lol at you conveniently choosing the number of small business closures to tally exactly with your argument.

That's pretty lucky isn't it!?

It's just hot air to distract us from the complete disaster this country is in. Feed some "good news" to the plebs and keep them believing things are getting better.

(*They are opening 2000 stores and creating 104 jobs, that is 20 jobs per store. )

/facepalm.

I officially give up.:rolleyes:

/facepalm.

Explain

• Advertisement

20 - 6*8 = 0?
    104/2000 = 20?

I know plenty of shelf stackers who could see some problems here

keane2097 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be a net increase of two jobs?

And lol at you conveniently choosing the number of small business closures to tally exactly with your argument.

Yes I am to illustrate a point to the other poster who does not seem to get my point. But do you deny that an opening of an Iceland store will put some local stores out of business, or at least cause them to lay off staff? So while there may be a net gain of jobs, it is nowhere near 2000 jobs.

/facepalm.

Oh right, pick at a typo instead of argue your corner. I've fixed the figures now, 2000 jobs, 104 stores = 20 employees per store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I would love to see the alternatives you have drawn up. From what I am reading here, you want to flood the market with small independant retail shops which in turn will have less jobs, more expensive produce going by the ridiculous markups some of them have and employ only Irish citizens who wouldn't be caught dead stacking shelves.

I despair of your ridiculous statements I really do.:(

I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of putting words in someones mouth anywhere; the fact that this is After Hours probably means you deserve some kind of medal - rather than despair I'll just say Bravo! :D

I've no alternatives, I'm just saying that a low quality budget retailer setting up in an already saturated sector isn't something to be jumping up and down about. Saying that they're creating X number of jobs is fine, but its important to realise that there's every chance that they'll simply be displacing better paying jobs so that the net effect on the Irish economy would be actually detrimental as 105 odd Iceland stores and 50 2 euro shops aren't going to bring down the cost of living any significant amount, while quite possibly lowering the standard of living etc...

The fact that you say people in retail aren't ambitious really pinpoints your ignorance on the subject.

Retail has the highest rate of staff turnover in any sector of Irish commerce; supermarket retail in particular. The concept of promotion and linear progression are frowned upon at best - it's very much a hire'n'fire approach so that less than 1 in 5 of floorstaff ever get past their 6 month probationary period or qualify for holiday pay etc...

(Just as an aside, I've worked shopfloor, deliveries-in, tills as well as doing mystery shopping and a brief stint in admin for a few Irish retailers. It's a part-time/college job and they're well aware of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yes I am to illustrate a point to the other poster who does not seem to get my point. But do you deny that an opening of an Iceland store will put some local stores out of business, or at least cause them to lay off staff? So while there may be a net gain of jobs, it is nowhere near 2000 jobs.

No it's certainly possible, but you have been insinuating that the job creation will be close to zero.

I'd be extremely sceptical that anything like 2000 jobs would be lost elsewhere due to Iceland opening stores in Ireland.

If you want to make a reasoned argument as to how many jobs you think would be lost go ahead, but the "Iceland creates 20 jobs, and local stores lose 18-20" rubbish is disingenuous at best.

"Cutting the fat" is what you are talking about.

This is a hugely positive thing in order to make an economy competitive again.
    Ryanair are prime examples

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Wouldnt these small retailers not be out of business already?

Considering I dont see any around bar in the middle of nowhere where my sister lives,

Thanks to the mess were in, I would have forseen these businesses closing as it stood, the price of their goods tend to be higher to make up the fall in customers,

Isnt it better to have the Jobs been able to replace when the likely hood for these businesses closing is quite high, without Iceland coming in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I think stacking some shelves might be a problem for you irishconvert so I'd ignore the application process information that I supplied to you on page one.

"Cutting the fat" is what you are talking about.

This is a hugely positive thing in order to make an economy competitive again.
    Ryanair are prime examples

Can you use the QUOTE tags so we know who you are replying to? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great news for the country.
    Now even more people will be eating cheap frozen, highly processed muck instead of fresh locally produced food. I'd imagine the amount made in tax revenues will paid back in funding the health service as a result.

• Advertisement

No because I am on my phone.

I was referring to you talking about small businesses going under

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great news for the country.
    Now even more people will be eating cheap frozen, highly processed muck instead of fresh locally produced food. I'd imagine the amount made in tax revenues will paid back in funding the health service as a result.

Locally produced can still cost a fortune though. I got me 6 wild salmon fillets in Tesco for less than 6 euro. Result.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of putting words in someones mouth anywhere; the fact that this is After Hours probably means you deserve some kind of medal - rather than despair I'll just say Bravo! :D

*Puts medal on mantelpiece.*:)

Anyway, if you read the thread you will see he has been saying that small independent businesses will suffer a lot of job losses because of this thus proving my point. I can multi quote but it is far too much effort. Just read the thread.

keane2097 wrote: »
    No it's certainly possible, but you have been insinuating that the job creation will be close to zero.

I'd be extremely sceptical that anything like 2000 jobs would be lost elsewhere due to Iceland opening stores in Ireland.

If you want to make a reasoned argument as to how many jobs you think would be lost go ahead, but the "Iceland creates 20 jobs, and local stores lose 18-20" rubbish is disingenuous at best.

Look, the bottom line is 2000 jobs are not being created, I guess far less than that.

Another point, probably more importantly, is this company are not bringing any additional money into the Irish economy, in fact they are actually taking money out. All the money they take in will come from the pockets of Irish shoppers. Iceland will pay out a salary to their employees, pay tax to the government and probably buy some small percentage of goods from Irish suppliers with the bulk imported. However they will take the profits out of the country. Again, nothing to celebrate.

Renn wrote: »
    I think stacking some shelves might be a problem for you irishconvert so I'd ignore the application process information that I supplied to you on page one.

If there is a problem with my arguement why don't you point it out instead of trying to be a smart arse? I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and am just giving my opinion. If you believe I am wring then show me why and maybe I will change my mind.

Ok then, I will write to Brian Cowen and Co and tell them to tell Iceland to **** off. Then I will also tell all the other multinational companies to **** off and stop taking money out of our country and giving whatever little business to Irish suppliers. The social welfare queue will double, mass emigration will cripple the economy and no one will have any hope.

Well at least poor Joe's newsagents will get some business.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to be a smart arse here:
    Oh yes. brilliant news, lots of jobs stacking shelves. Where do I apply? :rolleyes:

Apologies.

Ok then, I will write to Brian Cowen and Co and tell them to tell Iceland to **** off. Then I will also tell all the other multinational companies to **** off and stop taking money out of our country and giving whatever little business to Irish suppliers. The social welfare queue will double, mass emigration will cripple the economy and no one will have any hope.

Well at least poor Joe's newsagents will get some business.

Multinationals which export are good, HP, Intel, etc. They are taking money from other economies and bring it into ours. Companies such as Iceland just recycle money within the Irish economy (at best) or take money out to their head office in another country.

Renn wrote: »
    Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to be a smart arse here:

Apologies.

Yes I was, and I did explain myself. Something you have yet to do. Will I continue to hold my breath?

• Advertisement

Please.

Advertisement