Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland to open 105 shops in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

quite a bit of drink taken..or just having the craic..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I see they are also going to open 50 2 Euro stores. If there is something Ireland desperately needs now it's more 2 Euro stores.:rolleyes::D

Or more pawn shops.The outside world must be having a field day buying cheap Irish stuff off eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Store in Finglas has just doubled the price of several items yesterday. Also still using the unfair €1.50/£1 conversion rate. Great shop for weird English items but they can now shove them and their new stores if this is they way they are going to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

deelite wrote: »
    Great job news but I'm a bit confused as to why Iceland have decided to come back into the Irish Market seeing as they pulled out a few years back.

ya i don't understand this either, they left overnight a few years back and now they want to come back with 105 stores:confused:

and surely that segment of the market is covered by aldi & lidl anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

fryup wrote: »
    ya i don't understand this either, they left overnight a few years back and now they want to come back with 105 stores:confused:

and surely that segment of the market is covered by aldi & lidl anyway

While its good news that a new large employer is coming to Ireland, and 105 stores will create at least 2000 jobs, looking at Icelands history causes me some concern. As they are a discount retailer they obviously see that in the future an increasing number of people will be shopping with discounters as reduced wage levels and a depressed economy force people to transition. Iceland must see their new customers coming from Dunnes/Tesco/Superquinn and particularly Super Valu and can no longer afford to shop with them. With 105 stores they will end up inevitably in the smaller market towns competing with large family owned supermarkets.

So Icelands arrival signifies their belief that we are going to be significantly poorer in the medium term.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

There are very very very very few jobs that will ever have a negative effect on the economy and well being of a country. These are certainly not part of that group.

At best they'll have a neutral impact.
    Have you ever worked in retail? How do you know that they wont employ 40 part time students who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend college, and who subsequently get degrees that wouldn't have been possible?

Yep, for two of the big names during college. However, you're missing the point that, in an already oversaturated supermarket/retail sector the notion that by virtue of opening these places up that they'll be creating additional jobs overall. People aren't all going to go and buy more food, some of these supermarkets will eventually have to close/lay off staff bringing the sum total number of jobs in the retail sector back to the status quo - but possibly on worse wages if they're in Iceland. This could be facilitating a race to the bottom in some ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

deelite wrote: »
    Great job news but I'm a bit confused as to why Iceland have decided to come back into the Irish Market seeing as they pulled out a few years back.

Iceland is ghetto crap..Processed frozen foods and other poisonous muck.It is a sign that they think we can't afford anything better.Half the country is already eating the crap out of Lidl and Aldi and thinks it's quality(don't know what quality is),so maybe we are ignorant

Whoopie! They're creating some jobs.Stacking shelves and checkout jockeys.

We have some of the best farmland in the world, we have some brilliant and talented people and we have so much going for us that we cannot see,yet we herald news like this which is another nail in the coffin of our commerce and agriculture.

F**k Aldi,Tesco,Lidl,Dunnes,Debenhams,McDonalds,Burgerking etc.These are cancers on our society just like Walmart in the US.Is Walmart culture what we dream of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

How exactly is it not benefitting the country?
    • It is creating jobs which will pay taxes.
    • They are committing to Irish suppliers which will keep in turn create more jobs.
    I find it mystifying that you would say it won't benefit the country.

There are very very very very few jobs that will ever have a negative effect on the economy and well being of a country. These are certainly not part of that group.

Have you ever worked in retail? How do you know that they wont employ 40 part time students who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend college, and who subsequently get degrees that wouldn't have been possible?

Your assumptions, and treatment of the subject are dismal.

It is not creating jobs, at best it is just shifting jobs around. People who might have worked for a small retailer will now work for Iceland and the small retailer goes out of business. Irish people are just changing where they buy their groceries. And Iceland say they are comitted to Irish suppliers, well they would say that. How do you know they small retailers who will be replaced by Iceland were not already buying from the Irish suppliers? A multinational like Iceland will more then likely force the Irish supplier to lower their prices which is bad news for the supplier. People should not be jumping up and down about this. Now if an Irish manufacturing company which exports products was to create a similar amount of jobs that would be something worth getting excited about.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    At best they'll have a neutral impact.

Yep, for two of the big names during college. However, you're missing the point that, in an already oversaturated supermarket/retail sector the notion that by virtue of opening these places up that they'll be creating additional jobs overall. People aren't all going to go and buy more food, some of these supermarkets will eventually have to close/lay off staff bringing the sum total number of jobs in the retail sector back to the status quo - but possibly on worse wages if they're in Iceland. This could be facilitating a race to the bottom in some ways.

Bit unfair to use elements of a 'race to the bottom' without discussing the flipside?

Increased competition <=> lower prices <=> lower wages <=> lower cost of living <=> decreased inflation

These are all interlinked and interdependent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

It is not creating jobs, at best it is just shifting jobs around. People who might have worked for a small retailer will now work for Iceland and the small retailer goes out of business. Irish people are just changing where they buy their groceries. And Iceland say they are comitted to Irish suppliers, well they would say that. How do you know they small retailers who will be replaced by Iceland were not already buying from the Irish suppliers? A multinational like Iceland will more then likely force the Irish supplier to lower their prices which is bad news for the supplier. People should not be jumping up and down about this. Now if an Irish manufacturing company which exports products was to create a similar amount of jobs that would be something worth getting excited about.

Shifting jobs around? Oh right so we can expect 2000 English or other people coming to Ireland over the coming months. Have you any proof otherwise that Iceland will not be using Irish suppliers? If so I would love to see it.

Also can you point out how other multinational companies in Ireland forced Irish suppliers to lower their prices?

• Advertisement

Bit unfair to use elements of a 'race to the bottom' without discussing the flipside?

Increased competition <=> lower prices <=> lower wages <=> lower cost of living <=> decreased inflation

Bit unfair to use simplistic macro-economics when you don't include factors such as where their gross stock is coming from, what Irish suppliers will be cut out, where their funds will be repatriated to etc... They're interlinked and interdependent but aren't weighted proportionately.

Also, unfortunately, the axiom that lower wages <=> lower cost of living <=> decreased inflation doesn't ring quite true in my experience of Irish commerce.

Increased competition <=> price slashing/wars, obliteration of small independent retail<=> Minimum wage<=> lower standard of living,<=> inflation is not determined by Iceland or Tesco or the like.You don't honestly think Iceland setting up in Ireland is going to reduce inflation of the euro, do you?That's simply false.

If you can talk to an ex Iceland employee, ask them what it's like.

They've already confirmed the use of Irish suppliers, or so I thought I read in this thread earlier?

Negative presumptions and assumptions can be as dangerous as overtly positive ones. But I feel that for them to think they can have an edge in the Market reflects a confidence in the links above.

And as carefully as I can say without causing offence, I do not know your expertise on Irish commerce, but historical evidence suggests that the links will hold true. Some take longer to come into effect than others and of course it's not on a 1:1 ratio, but they do each affect each other

Increased competition <=> price slashing/wars, obliteration of small independent retail<=> Minimum wage<=> lower standard of living,<=> inflation is not determined by Iceland or Tesco or the like.You don't honestly think Iceland setting up in Ireland is going to reduce inflation of the euro, do you?That's simply false.

Inflation of the euro? What? Irelands inflation rate is based on the cost of living in Ireland and it's changes over time. Having increased competition is a way to reduce the costs of goods and services. It is that basic!

I've no experience of Iceland employees, but you can be certain that there are thousands of people who are willing to do almost any gainful employment to avoid social welfare dependence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lots of droolers ITT imo.

Shifting jobs around? Oh right so we can expect 2000 English or other people coming to Ireland over the coming months.

That was not what he implied and well you know it.
    Have you any proof otherwise that Iceland will not be using Irish suppliers? If so I would love to see it.
    Just go into an Iceland and pick up the crap they sell and see where it came from.It wasn't made in Ireland.Are you suggesting they are going to turn their business model upside down to suit a bunch of brokeass micks who think Aldi is acceptable.
    Are you old enough to remember the Biscuit Wars?
    Also can you point out how other multinational companies in Ireland forced Irish suppliers to lower their prices?

You are joking right?I take it you were either very young in the 80s,unborn or simply have amnesia?

And as carefully as I can say without causing offence, I do not know your expertise on Irish commerce, but historical evidence suggests that the links will hold true.

Suggests rather than guarantees. I hope for our sake they do.

Where you see

I see

Increased competition <=> lower prices <=> lower quality goods <=> lower wages <=> lower standard of living <=> decreased inflation (possibly)

as well as the repatriation of the capital back to AIM holdings rather than staying in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Shifting jobs around? Oh right so we can expect 2000 English or other people coming to Ireland over the coming months.
    You have not understood my point. Iceland will employ people who would have otherwise worked for smaller Irish retailers. Sure, Iceland "create" jobs, but these jobs are lost elsewhere.
    Have you any proof otherwise that Iceland will not be using Irish suppliers? If so I would love to see it.
    What percentage of their supplies will come from Irish supplers?

And answer me this, where are Iceland's customers going to come from? If people spend their money in Iceland from now on presumable they are going to stop spending in other stores, which means job losses elsewhere.
    It is well known, I shouldn't even have to provide proof, but here is an example for you:
    ANGRY farmers are stacking up shopping trolleys in Tesco -- then walking out without buying anything in a show of frustration with the supermarket chain.

The unofficial action is part of a new wave of protests by farmers furious at the retail giant for slashing the prices it pays to suppliers, while increasing profit margins.

The farmers, who say they are fighting for their survival, called off a protest in Tesco in Athlone, Co Westmeath, last night.

Inflation of the euro? What? Irelands inflation rate is based on the cost of living in Ireland and it's changes over time. Having increased competition is a way to reduce the costs of goods and services. It is that basic!

That is nonsense.Inflation is determined by the ratio of currency in circulation to the resources available to back it.Ever hear of Alan Greenspan or Ben Bernanke?

Look up inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh, and they're not 'different countries.' They're different jurisdictions. They're both Ireland.

Oh god.

/unsubscribes

• Advertisement

Yes, I have them both on speed dial and facebook

That was not what he implied and well you know it.

What did he Imply exactly?

Just go into an Iceland and pick up the crap they sell and see where it came from.It wasn't made in Ireland.Are you suggesting they are going to turn their business model upside down to suit a bunch of brokeass micks who think Aldi is acceptable.
    Are you old enough to remember the Biscuit Wars?

The biscuit wars?? Nope im only 24. :o *researches*

Also what other choices do these farmers have exactly? At least it is finding them an alternative to what? Nothing?

You are joking right?I take it you were either very young in the 80s,unborn or simply have amnesia?

Read above. :)
    You have not understood my point. Iceland will employ people who would have otherwise worked for smaller Irish retailers. Sure, Iceland "create" jobs, but these jobs are lost elsewhere.

What percentage of their supplies will come from Irish supplers?

And answer me this, where are Iceland's customers going to come from? If people spend their money in Iceland from now on presumable they are going to stop spending in other stores, which means job losses elsewhere.

It is well known, I shouldn't even have to provide proof, but here is an example for you:

That article is from 2009! Since then the recession has gotten worse and farmers are suffering without any kind of business.

I have no idea as to the percentage of supplies coming from Irish suppliers, I can only go by the statement in the original article which states they are committed to Irish suppliers.

Saying that Iceland coming to Ireland is going to cause job losses elsewhere is a really naive point and completely irrelevant. Would you prefer things to stay as they are and no companies to ever grace our shores again?

Yes, I have them both on speed dial and facebook

More like you have run out of answers and realising that you don't in fact have a clue about economics, you resort to an unwitty quip to fill the void

Where did you study economics by the way?

More like you have run out of answers and realising that you don't in fact have a clue about economics, so as filler you resort to an unwitty quip.

Where did you study economics by the way?

I prefer not to measure my e penis in public. You made a ridiculous statement and I'm not here to teach econ101.

Good luck with the despair and with the anti Iceland protests.

/over and most definitely out

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Bit unfair to use simplistic macro-economics when you don't include factors such as where their gross stock is coming from, what Irish suppliers will be cut out, where their funds will be repatriated to etc... They're interlinked and interdependent but aren't weighted proportionately.

Also, unfortunately, the axiom that lower wages <=> lower cost of living <=> decreased inflation doesn't ring quite true in my experience of Irish commerce.

I would love to see the alternatives you have drawn up. From what I am reading here, you want to flood the market with small independant retail shops which in turn will have less jobs, more expensive produce going by the ridiculous markups some of them have and employ only Irish citizens who wouldn't be caught dead stacking shelves.

I despair of your ridiculous statements I really do.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Oh yes. brilliant news, lots of jobs stacking shelves. Where do I apply? :rolleyes:

too good for it, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good news about the jobs. I welcome the competition in the food sector too. Them, Aldi and Lidl will make the others a bit more cheaper, and less likely to indulge in cartel practices.

What annoys me about Iceland is that their stuff is labelled in sterling prices, but at the till it costs 50% more in euro. A £2 lasagne is €3, for example, not €2.30 as the exchange rate should have it.

So while they're cheap, they're still ripping off the Irish. At least they're brazen and overt about it, unlike M+S or Dunnes Stores, though.

Are you happy enough to pay €3 for a Lasagne? If so, wtf difference does it make what it costs to buy in a foreign country?

I prefer not to measure my e penis in public. You made a ridiculous statement and I'm not here to teach econ101.

Good luck with the despair and with the anti Iceland protests.

/over and most definitely out

Run away run away.Why did you have to go all phallic on us?I'm not asking you to measure anything.What I will ask is for you to post an accepted definition of inflation that supports your claim.

But you have run away scalded.I'm not trying to embarrass you here.I come across as angry because I'm fed up with people not knowing what is happening in Ireland and thinking that something like Iceland is going to turn us around.

Run away run away.Why did you have to go all phallic on us?I'm not asking you to measure anything.What I will ask is for you to post an accepted definition of inflation that supports your claim.

But you have run away scalded.I'm not trying to embarrass you here.I come across as angry because I'm fed up with people not knowing what is happening in Ireland and thinking that something like Iceland is going to turn us around.

Who the hell said it was going to turn Ireland around?!

It was supposed to be a bit of good news for people who had all but given up on this country. We need these companies to come in and give us jobs if we are to function in any way as an economy again.

• Advertisement

Iceland entering the Market will have little to no affect whatsoever on anything. Realistically speaking. In the general scheme of things, we have a fiercely uncompetitive economy, and in general would benefit from an increase in competition and/or choice.

Asking someone where they studied is a bit classless in my opinion though.

Advertisement