Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland to open 105 shops in Ireland

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

Some good news to counter all this "we are doomed" crap we see on a daily basis.

Also, the fact that a recruitment company are creating 40 jobs is a brilliant sign.
    Food retailer Iceland hopes to create more than 2,000 jobs in Ireland over the next four years.
    The company will open its fourth shop in Ireland today and plans to open 104 more shops.
    The AIM Group, which holds the master franchise for Iceland, says it will invest €30m to expand the supermarket chain in Ireland.
    AIM Chief Executive Tom Keogh will officially open the store at Ilac Centre in Dublin later today.
    The company also has stores in Finglas, Ballyfermot and on the Navan road.

AIM is also planning to open 50 €2 Euro stores and 15 Home Savers stores across the country.
    Mr Keogh said: 'We are committed to using Irish suppliers through out our expansion programme.
    'We are very committed to spending more in Ireland and we want to increase this value in the weeks ahead.'

In August 2005, the frozen food retailer closed its seven shops in Ireland. It employed some 160 people at the time.
    Elsewhere, the Dublin-based recruitment company Sigmar has announced the creation of 40 new jobs. It will bring the company's workforce back to over 100.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good news....sorry OP prepare for your thread to be derailed into misery by post 10

Anyway, the news that a recruitment company is hiring 40 staff is very noticable, it says a lot about recruitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Good news....sorry OP prepare for your thread to be derailed into misery by post 10

It probably won't last 10 posts compared to the doom threads. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Great job news but I'm a bit confused as to why Iceland have decided to come back into the Irish Market seeing as they pulled out a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

deelite wrote: »
    why Iceland have decided to come back into the Irish Market seeing as they pulled out a few years back.

because people are much more willing to buy cheap ****e food now that we're all broke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Oh yes. brilliant news, lots of jobs stacking shelves. Where do I apply? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As long as they don't bring Bjork I don't mind. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Is there space for them? I am all for competitiveness but Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu, Centra, Aldi, SuperQuinn and Lidl are everywhere.

Where are they thinking of putting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

When a big foreign retailer opens stores here the idea that jobs are created is a myth. In this case unless people suddenly start to eat more then some other retailer will lose business resulting in the loss of other jobs. More importantly foreign companies like Tesco repatriate their profits thereby sucking money from our economy.

because people are much more willing to buy cheap ****e food now that we're all broke

We already have a lot of stores offering cheap food so there aren't a shortage of supermarkets to buy cheap grub. Maybe they see potential in the Irish market.

There are businesses that are making good money in the recession, mine being one of them.

There is work out there that people won't touch. Like the 20 page thread condemning door to door salesmen for example. If I was on the dole desperate for a job I would do it. I would rather be selling door to door than sitting on my arse complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Great news, let's hope other companies have faith in this country and find us worthwhile

• Advertisement

Oh yes. brilliant news, lots of jobs stacking shelves. Where do I apply? :rolleyes:

Every store needs a manager and shift managers.
    Every store will be using delivery drivers, maybe an Irish company can go for the contract?
    Tradesmen needed to build or if already built, fit out the stores. Lot of work there for 105 stores, each one needing electricians

And all pay rates to the local council

A bit more then stacking shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Are you right for us? Are we right for you?

Don't worry. If you want to join us you won't have to jump through hoops. We do, however, need to make sure that you're for us and we're right for you.

Seen something that you like?

To apply for any of the roles on our website, simply click on Live Vacancies.

If you are successful at this stage, we'll contact you direct to discuss the opportunity in more detail and tell you about the interview process and what to do next.

Depending on the role, we'll then either invite you to an interview with your potential line manager or to an assessment centre where you'll get to meet some of us as well as other candidates.

Can’t see anything that you like?

If you can't see your ideal role advertised, then it will be likely that we don't currently have a vacancy in that particular area of the business.

However, to be notified when a relevant vacancy arises, please register your interest

Well done on insulting people who do this job.

Where do I apply to get my taxes back that are wasted on social welfare people too snobby to get a paid job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Wow forgot about that - I buy milk there (99 cent for 2 litres I think). The food is expensive rubbish though that's what I don't understand. Surely (if you're that way inclined) it must be cheaper to buy own brand frozen meals in Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl than in Iceland. And the Iceland exchange is £1.00 = €1.50 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I just hope they don't have Kerry Katona doing the adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Hmm. They were handy for when you were having a bbq or party, but i am also a bit wary of them opening back up after already shutting down here not so long ago. And now that Lidl and Aldi are here, there's even more competition.
    Anyway, glad people aren't afraid to start business here still,and great news if it all works out. And they did yummy desserts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Well done on insulting people who do this job.

Where do I apply to get my taxes back that are wasted on social welfare people too snobby to get a paid job?

I'm not insulting the people doing this job, I'm insulting the people jumping up and down about the creation of jobs which basically do nothing for the country. As an earlier poster pointed out this will actually suck money out of the Irish economy and will just cause the loss of jobs in small retailers.

I'm not insulting the people doing this job, I'm insulting the people jumping up and down about the creation of jobs which basically do nothing for the country. As an earlier poster pointed out this will actually suck money out of the Irish economy and will just cause the loss of jobs in small retailers.

How exactly is it not benefitting the country?
    • It is creating jobs which will pay taxes.
    • They are committing to Irish suppliers which will keep in turn create more jobs.
    I find it mystifying that you would say it won't benefit the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Duggy747 wrote: »
    As long as they don't bring Bjork I don't mind. :pac:

Bjork's unreal you cretin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well played on getting so much so wrong in such a short post.

• Advertisement

[*]They are committing to Irish suppliers which will keep in turn create more jobs.

Do they?
    I don't see it in the article so I'm asking?

Like M&S have stores throughout Ireland and everything comes over on the ferry every day. Don't think they use Irish suppliers.

disgusting attitude

Do they?
    I don't see it in the article so I'm asking?

Like M&S have stores throughout Ireland and everything comes over on the ferry every day. Don't think they use Irish suppliers.

From the main article.
    We are committed to using Irish suppliers through out our expansion programme

There are very very very very few jobs that will ever have a negative effect on the economy and well being of a country. These are certainly not part of that group.

Have you ever worked in retail? How do you know that they wont employ 40 part time students who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend college, and who subsequently get degrees that wouldn't have been possible?

Your assumptions, and treatment of the subject are dismal.

From the main article.

I'm blind, thanks :o

No problem:D
    niallers1 wrote: »
    I just hope they don't have Kerry Katona doing the adverts...

I think she was dropped due to some unsavoury photos of her powdering her nose.

I just hope your man Jason donovan and that nolan sister aren't doing them.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Hopefully the 40 recruitment staff haven't been employed to reinstate Kerry Katona.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We should open 210 stores in Iceland. We would quickly overwhelm their small population. Then we could open stores in Greenland, Svalbard, The Faroes and Rockall. World domination would surely follow. Ireland would be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Is there space for them? I am all for competitiveness but Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu, Centra, Aldi, SuperQuinn and Lidl are everywhere.

Where are they thinking of putting them?

I'd mainly shop in Tesco/Dunnes and I have an ALDI just across from where I work but the missus and myself do find Iceland handy. While we wouldn't eat the food very often it's handy to have in the freezer for a Saturday or Sunday when you can't be arsed to cook something. Surprisingly their fruit and veg is cheap and quite tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Using boards must be very difficult for you! I am impressed!

Advertisement