Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland to open 105 shops in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Good news....sorry OP prepare for your thread to be derailed into misery by post 10

Anyway, the news that a recruitment company is hiring 40 staff is very noticable, it says a lot about recruitment

What exactly are they planning to recruit for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Luxie wrote: »

a drug addicted scouser skank to tap their fat ass and wink at the camera like a retard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Luxie wrote: »

Sigmar are mainly finance. IFSC jobs and such
    They do other jobs of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

a drug addicted scouser skank to tap their fat ass and wink at the camera like a retard

Glad your girlfriend finally found something to apply for.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How many of these 4000 jobs will go to Irish or european citizens?

Iceland are notorious for only letting their own people work in their companaies. 4000 eskimos wont help our econemy and will add to the problem of selling fish on the black market and lets not forget large igloo slums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Good news about the jobs. I welcome the competition in the food sector too. Them, Aldi and Lidl will make the others a bit more cheaper, and less likely to indulge in cartel practices.

What annoys me about Iceland is that their stuff is labelled in sterling prices, but at the till it costs 50% more in euro. A £2 lasagne is €3, for example, not €2.30 as the exchange rate should have it.

So while they're cheap, they're still ripping off the Irish. At least they're brazen and overt about it, unlike M+S or Dunnes Stores, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Good news about the jobs. I welcome the competition in the food sector too. Them, Aldi and Lidl will make the others a bit more cheaper, and less likely to indulge in cartel practices.

What annoys me about Iceland is that their stuff is labelled in sterling prices, but at the till it costs 50% more in euro. A £2 lasagne is €3, for example, not €2.30 as the exchange rate should have it.

So while they're cheap, they're still ripping off the Irish. At least they're brazen and overt about it, unlike M+S or Dunnes Stores, though.

It's obv more complicated than just simple exchange rate tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oranage2 wrote: »
    4000 eskimos wont help our econemy and will add to the problem of selling fish on the black market and lets not forget large igloo slums.

When those igloo slums appear me & the boys are gonna git in our pickup, drive over them thar esky-mows and use our hairdryers to destroy their homes.

That outta teach 'em, Skeeter!!

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's obv more complicated than just simple exchange rate tbf.

I'd expect a certain mark-up to account for exchange rate variance and the cost of delivery (which is hardly any more than delivering to Belfast, needless to say.)

But rounding the price of £1 and £2 items up to the next euro is taking the urine.

Lidl and Aldi don't act the maggot in Ireland (check the prices online in Germany if you doubt that), so hopefully Iceland will stop doing so too.

I've given up hope of the rip-off merchants in Dunnes, Tesco, M+S etc ever seeing the Irish people as anything other than a cash cow to be milked, though.

I'd expect a certain mark-up to account for exchange rate variance and the cost of delivery (which is hardly any more than delivering to Belfast, needless to say.)

But rounding the price of £1 and £2 items up to the next euro is taking the urine.

Lidl and Aldi don't act the maggot in Ireland (check the prices online in Germany if you doubt that), so hopefully Iceland will stop doing so too.

I've given up hope of the rip-off merchants in Dunnes, Tesco, M+S etc ever seeing the Irish people as anything other than a cash cow to be milked, though.

There could be any number of higher costs in Ireland.

I'd be amazed if there weren't with the way the country is run tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fantastic news on the retail jobs. Wonder how secure those recruitment jobs are though. Such a precarious industry - might only be for a temporary recruitment drive, i.e. those retailers. A big venture no doubt, but once everyone's all hired up, finito. Hopefully not though.
    Oh yes. brilliant news, lots of jobs stacking shelves. Where do I apply? :rolleyes:
    Haha, I thought only kids did that kind of self-absorbed "I'm in a bad mood so I'll pretend to find something wrong with some good news" stuff. :D

There could be any number of higher costs in Ireland.

I'd be amazed if there weren't with the way the country is run tbh.

If they can sell the item for £2 in Belfast at a profit, there is no justification for a further 50% profit retailing the same item in Dublin.

But if you're happy to pay that whack extra, then they'll be delighted with your custom. I do shop with them, but I do so in Belfast, not in Dublin.

If they can sell the item for £2 in Belfast at a profit, there is no justification for a further 50% profit retailing the same item in Dublin.

But if you're happy to pay that whack extra, then they'll be delighted with your custom. I do shop with them, but I do so in Belfast, not in Dublin.

The VAT in this country is a lot more than in the north which is why a lot of christmas shopping will be done there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

jpfahy wrote: »
    When a big foreign retailer opens stores here the idea that jobs are created is a myth. In this case unless people suddenly start to eat more then some other retailer will lose business resulting in the loss of other jobs. More importantly foreign companies like Tesco repatriate their profits thereby sucking money from our economy.

& I get reported when I say stuff like that. Though to be fair I say it in a more military fashion.
    :)

The VAT in this country is a lot more than in the north which is why a lot of christmas shopping will be done there this year.

You pay VAT on most goods and services in the UK at the standard rate.
    The standard rate is 17.5 per cent. This will increase to 20 per cent on 4 January 2011.

Also note that Ireland has had about 10% deflation in the last 2 years, UK about 12% inflation (based on food to be fair)

There is little in the price differences at the moment.

A lot more? Or actually just 2.5% and due to fall to zero on January 1st? Still doesn't justify a 50% mark up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

jpfahy wrote: »
    When a big foreign retailer opens stores here the idea that jobs are created is a myth. In this case unless people suddenly start to eat more then some other retailer will lose business resulting in the loss of other jobs. More importantly foreign companies like Tesco repatriate their profits thereby sucking money from our economy.

They repatriate their net profit, so they have to pay tax on it in Ireland first. just like Microsoft, Dell and HP do. Are you trying to claim that we should throw them out as well, because getting rid of microsoft would effectively be the last nail in this country's coffin.

That's braindead tbh.

They're different countries with different governments, tax levels, electricity prices, labour costs, currencies, rent prices, grants & incentives etc. etc. etc.

Congratulations. I hope you're proud of your contribution to the British economy.

ch750536 wrote: »
    You pay VAT on most goods and services in the UK at the standard rate.
    The standard rate is 17.5 per cent. This will increase to 20 per cent on 4 January 2011.

Also note that Ireland has had about 10% deflation in the last 2 years, UK about 12% inflation (based on food to be fair)

There is little in the price differences at the moment.

Ireland has had deflation but the government haven't budged on the VAT side of things and while the UK will be raising it in January, that won't make a difference to the economy in Ireland this christmas when we need it most.

They repatriate their net profit, so they have to pay tax on it in Ireland first. just like Microsoft, Dell and HP do. Are you trying to claim that we should throw them out as well, because getting rid of microsoft would effectively be the last nail in this country's coffin.

We dont give Microsoft 6% of our income, they are also a much better employer than Tesco.

• Advertisement

Ireland has had deflation but the government haven't budged on the VAT side of things and while the UK will be raising it in January, that won't make a difference to the economy in Ireland this christmas when we need it most.

Just telling the truth bud. Was in Toys r Us in the UK the other day, Smyths was cheaper, without doubt.

€8.65 minimum wage versus £5.93 has quite a bit to do with it as well.

That's braindead tbh.

They're different countries with different governments, tax levels, electricity prices, labour costs, currencies, rent prices, grants & incentives etc. etc. etc.

Okay, firstly break down that 50% mark up for me, and secondly explain why other retailers don't also mark up their products by the same amount or anywhere near it.

Oh, and they're not 'different countries.' They're different jurisdictions. They're both Ireland.
    Congratulations. I hope you're proud of your contribution to the British economy.

Actually, I'm tremendously proud of doing my bit to suffocate the flow of revenue to this government and prevent them from inflicting further damage on the future of this nation by selling out your future and mine and our sovereignty in order to pay their bankster pals' debts.

If they don't have the money, they can't spend it. When they haven't got any more money, and can't borrow it, the system will collapse and the sooner the better. The bank debts are not the debts of the Irish people and I won't pay my share of them.

Anyone who really gave a sh!t about this country would be seeking to stifle Irish state revenue to ensure that the world can see we've no intention of paying those debts. The deficit we could deal with if the state wasn't intent on bankrupting all our futures to bail out their corrupt mates in the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Knowledge economy.

Means knowing where the frozen pizzas are when a customer asks you.

ch750536 wrote: »
    We dont give Microsoft 6% of our income, they are also a much better employer than Tesco.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I see they are also going to open 50 2 Euro stores. If there is something Ireland desperately needs now it's more 2 Euro stores.:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Oh yes. brilliant news, lots of jobs stacking shelves. Where do I apply? :rolleyes:

The Fas work placement programme.... you may have to work for free, but on the plus side you get to keep your dole.....

So, every cloud....:D

€8.65 minimum wage versus £5.93 has quite a bit to do with it as well.

Very true, didn't think of this one. I see justification on this alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Glad your girlfriend finally found something to apply for.;)

yeah me too...the wife's working away at the moment aswell so all sweet

:D

Advertisement