Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PWC - Accountants brought to book over raunchy emails - See mod note post 7.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Can't remember if it was Merrill Lynch or Morgan Stanly that had a similar case a few years back. Probably ML
    Several sacked and more suspended and the email was harmless compared to this but a client complained.

Not sure what'll happen your friend.
    The lads with the comments on the email that that OP posted are going to be sacked for sure, there is no way they can save their jobs.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For example, if you got an email with identifying information on female colleagues in your workplace with ratings. Would you forward it on?

I'd bloody well think f*ck this is really dangerous! How could they not have realised?
    You see, it all seems perfectly safe within the workplace. These pictures would be put up on an internal website - either an internal directory or a "welcome to the newbies" site - along with their names and departments.

All these muppets would have to do is copy & paste it into the email. They don't think about sending around internally, because the information is already on the internal website.

It's just when one moron decides to send it to his mate working elsewhere, "Have a look at the new hotties we just got", that it's game over.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Happened in KPMG about 4/5 years ago too.

what hapened in KPMG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

what hapened in KPMG?

Exact same thing, photos taken down off the intranet and someone made up an email. It just didn't go national.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Exact same thing, photos taken down off the intranet and someone made up an email. It just didn't go national.

Did people get fired in that case?

I'd nearly feel bad for the lads, one f*ck up and they've ruined their whole career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd nearly feel bad for the lads, one f*ck up and they've ruined their whole career.

Slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

seamus wrote: »
    You see, it all seems perfectly safe within the workplace. These pictures would be put up on an internal website - either an internal directory or a "welcome to the newbies" site - along with their names and departments.

All these muppets would have to do is copy & paste it into the email. They don't think about sending around internally, because the information is already on the internal website.

It's just when one moron decides to send it to his mate working elsewhere, "Have a look at the new hotties we just got", that it's game over.

Exactly, it goes on all the time amongst the groups of "lads" in these firms, typical jock type guys, the irish version of frat boys.

This only came to light because it went outside the company. I did accounting in college so I have mates in all the major firms, it goes on all the time, only usually its kept to themselves. Ive heard many "you should see the new birds in our department" stories. The annual intake as its known is a big thing in these firms, big nights out paid for by the company etc etc, plenty of scoring opportunities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

The thing is PWC pride themselves in theit excellent staff. It is one of the hardest places to get into.

The HR team would want to look at themselves and think about who they are hiring etc.

This reflects very badly on their staff. What may they be saying about their clients?? I imagine some of their big clients will not be impressed with this. All about competition nowadays. I bet KPMG are delighted.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thats life isn't it? If you make one f*ck up while driving you're dead, if a rubber rips you could be a parent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I'm nearly sure that some-one posted up that one of the guys was a senior manager though..

Not true FYI.

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Not true FYI.

Ah yeah sorry, my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Senior associate

That's a lot nearer the bottom then the top

Senior associate

Correct,well...... past tense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Just seen the email there - its innocent enough but really stupid and cringey!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

For example, if you got an email with identifying information on female colleagues in your workplace with ratings. Would you forward it on?

I'd bloody well think f*ck this is really dangerous! How could they not have realised?
    Even ignoring that it was a stupid thing to put your name to regardless of the communication method, you have to remember that some people are under the mistaken assumption that work PC's and email are just as confidential as their own email/PC.

In reality, the company you work for owns it all and has every right to poke through all your emails and data if it feels like it and pull you up if it doesn't like what it sees. Working in IT, I've come across extremely personal stuff completely by accident when fixing peoples machines. I don't even want to know what I could find out if I was determined to actually look for this stuff.

Lesson of the day, for work email/PC's assume everything is public and will be read by collegues and/or management. If you wouldn't be comfortable with them reading it, don't write it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does it really go on all the time int hese firms? I would be bricking it to send anything from my work email account, jesus EXPECIALLy anything that could be construed as discrimination/ harassment. How stupid can they be?

How do you know it goes on all the time?

I worked in a financial services firm for a couple of years! The real fun is when someone inadvertently forwards the 15 email long bitch about the boss onto the boss...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235129/Deloitte-girl-quits-sending-email-asking-colleagues-vote-offices-attractive-men.html

Happens a lot cos 200 new people all the same age straight out of college is a recipe for disaster!

I think it's a tradition in PWC though. I've definitely heard of a very similar list happening 2/3 years ago but obviously didn't go viral. Have any of the girls actually made a complaint to HR about it?

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Correct,well...... past tense!

Unemployed is the new job title

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I wonder how many of the offending employees have been accounted for...

Unemployed is the new job title

Exactly, best of luck now getting another job and explaining that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I worked in a financial services firm for a couple of years! The real fun is when someone inadvertently forwards the 15 email long bitch about the boss onto the boss...:o

ooops?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Further proof that I just couldn't work for a big company again.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

seamus wrote: »
    Well that's accountants and business people for ye.

You know all those immature people in school who always took things one step too far, never seemed to have a tiny bit of common sense and seemed to still make fart and booby jokes at 21? They all went to business school and joined accountancy firms.

That's not to say that everyone in these places is like this, but these companies have a much higher quota of dickheads who couldn't think of anything else to do with their life than anywhere else.

as opposed to builders who whistle and shout at every girl who walks by???

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Saw it, pretty tame to be honest!

One particular guy comments and signature all over it so reckon he is toast.

The guy above refers to the ladies as "New Klunge!

Saw it, pretty tame to be honest!

One particular guy comments and signature all over it so reckon he is toast.

The guy above refers to the ladies as "New Klunge!

Ha ha . Inbetweeners. Is this a D4 thing this email?? Lot of southside goys work in PWC in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

People tend to forget there really is no such concept of "privacy". The closest thing you will get to a private holding place is between your ears. Once any sort of information leaves this place, it's no longer private....EVER. Sure, people say "I will keep it to myself". Never the case. We are homosapiens. We were not designed with the intention of being crammed into accounting firms and the like. And people wonder why problems such as Depression are so rife today? I say we should revert back to our primal roots. A monkey in a suit is still just that, a monkey in a suit. Sorry to be blunt, but this is how I see it. Humans just weren't designed for the corporate bull**** that exists in most organisations today. Probably why the lads got up to that crap. Humans that they are. Keep to yourself and you will be fine.

Of course, I am not saying what they have done is correct, it's just our genetic makeup at least explains this petty crap to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

I wonder how the main guys involved feel about the person who let it go external

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

Just saw the email.

Couple of points.

1. It is harmless
    2. I bet every girl on the list is delighted they are on the list
    3. Maybe the company should not post their pictures on the office intranet if they don't want stuff like this to happen
    4. boys will be boys

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    2. I bet every girl on the list is delighted they are on the list

Except for
    have reservations about the last one getting in

She's probably humiliated over it

• Advertisement

From the PWC Ireland website:

Demonstrate Courage and Integrity
    Honesty and integrity are core to our business and therefore we look for these values in our employees. We will be looking for evidence of when you have had to adhere to standards or procedures, maintain confidentiality or questioned behaviour that you felt was inappropriate

They really need to looked at their recruitment process and question their choices with this employees.

PWC have been great at taking the moral high ground by stating the integrity and excellence of their employess.

Looks like they have been not recruiting correctly.

I can imagine a lot of their Clients are not impressed. Especially their female clients.

Advertisement