Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

RayCun wrote: »
    Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014|2015
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59|199
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1|190
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45|169
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72|150?
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92|200?
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96|227.51
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55|202.86
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88|201.55
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34|177.62
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23|219.01
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3|~2300

not a great month by any means - 2.5 steady runs, 1 interval session, 1 DNS and not a huge amount of miles :rolleyes: anyway...

Steady #2 run yesterday evening. Timed it perfectly - the hail started just as I came out of the shower room in my running gear, but stopped before I left the building. Whatever was up on Sunday wasn't an issue today, all the heart rate zones hit with no more than the usual trouble, pace was 4:09/3:59/4:23

Easy #2 this morning, in to work and around UCD. Think I had something thrown at me this morning around the KCR - something flew over a wall and near my head, landing with a wet thud on the ground behind. Watch was beeping so no time to investigate...
    Great run this morning. New regime started to show some dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tymon parkrun
    Went out fast enough hoping that someone would go with me but no luck. 3.28 for the first little loop and a good lead already. 3.27 on the downhill k and 3.32 on the flat. The rest of the run was just a pain in the arse. Uphill drag, no-one in front, no-one chasing, and getting tired. 3.39 and 3.42 for the last two.

three easy runs around Tymon in the last three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

You're keeping your new 5km PB and parkrun win on Saturday very low key there Ray.

If it was me I'd be jumping up and down and having it on my log within minutes.

It's not much of a PB, and not the most competitive race, to be fair :)

Steady #2 run home on Wednesday. Kind of tired starting this, but wanted a second harder run in the week and there was no room to postpone

Easy #2 run in the morning, over to work and ending with a lap of UCD

day off on Friday. I am really getting to enjoy the days off :pac:

Intervals this morning.
    A bit slow getting moving, and pushed for time, so my warm-up was only the jog up to Tymon. No drills, just straight into it. Bad idea, because the first k was pretty slow, 3.31, and never made it up to zone 5. I realised, too late in the interval to do anything about it, that my strides were very short, I wasn't moving properly.
    Second k was better - 3.25 and managed to stop the beeping for a short while.
    Third was better again - 3.14, and the last minute was in zone 5
    Fourth also good - 3.24, another minute or so in zone 5
    Fifth I ran out of steam - 3.39 and beeping all the way
    that was it for me, jogged home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Steady #2 run home on Wednesday. Kind of tired starting this, but wanted a second harder run in the week and there was no room to postpone

Easy #2 run in the morning, over to work and ending with a lap of UCD

day off on Friday. I am really getting to enjoy the days off :pac:

Intervals this morning.
    A bit slow getting moving, and pushed for time, so my warm-up was only the jog up to Tymon. No drills, just straight into it. Bad idea, because the first k was pretty slow, 3.31, and never made it up to zone 5. I realised, too late in the interval to do anything about it, that my strides were very short, I wasn't moving properly.
    Second k was better - 3.25 and managed to stop the beeping for a short while.
    Third was better again - 3.14, and the last minute was in zone 5
    Fourth also good - 3.24, another minute or so in zone 5
    Fifth I ran out of steam - 3.39 and beeping all the way
    that was it for me, jogged home

Saw you this morning. You passed us on the big parkrun loop at Limekiln. Obviously doing intervals, as you passed us at a clip with your watch beeping, and then you slowed down.

davedanon wrote: »
    Saw you this morning. You passed us on the big parkrun loop at Limekiln. Obviously doing intervals, as you passed us at a clip with your watch beeping, and then you slowed down.

were you in that big group?
    yeah, my watch beeps a lot :pac: I think at that point it was beeping to tell me my heart rate was up in zone 3, I sped up to avoid the dreaded slow overtake :)

Usual easy run (Easy #2) up around Tymon. Windy but before most of the rain

were you in that big group?
    yeah, my watch beeps a lot :pac: I think at that point it was beeping to tell me my heart rate was up in zone 3, I sped up to avoid the dreaded slow overtake :)

Usual easy run (Easy #2) up around Tymon. Windy but before most of the rain

Indeed and I was. Well, there were 5 of us, anyway, so not a huge group. That's an interesting wrinkle on the old 'to greet other runners or not' debate, btw. When you're overtaking someone, there's no face to face contact to worry about, so it's easier to just continue on. But then are you being rude? Do you turn around and say hi, or just lift a hand as you pass? The latter could be seen as slightly dismissive, "oh I'm just passing you out here, there's a wave". Also there's an interesting dynamic when one runner meets several. I've been blanked by groups of two or three, but usually get an acknowledgement from any bigger. On the other hand, I've had the experience of being blanked by a group of 8 or 10 all chattering among themselves, or of saying hello and getting a perfunctory response.

I think I gave a wave, but yeah, less obvious what to do when you are not meeting face to face

I think I gave a wave, but yeah, less obvious what to do when you are not meeting face to face

That was a bit clumsy of me. I wasn't trying to imply you were being rude or anything. I'd noticed you coming down the hill, but well behind us, so I was surprised when you suddenly overtook us. I would have said hello only you were well ahead when I noticed you, and your watch was making a racket anyway. I probably wouldn't make much of an effort if I'd been in the same position.

• Advertisement

"the dreaded slow overtake"

The running equivalent of being in a very slow lift with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Who would the best person to contact regarding looking to volunteer at this years Dublin City Marathon, i know you have given details about this before, just can not find it. Or drop me a PM. Looking to volunteer this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    Who would the best person to contact regarding looking to volunteer at this years Dublin City Marathon, i know you have given details about this before, just can not find it. Or drop me a PM. Looking to volunteer this year.

I volunteered at the race series, Just send an email to the the BHAA address I think it is or PM emerald007 on boards.

PM sent

Friday gets further away every week...

Monday was an Easy #1 run, had to keep slowing down to stay in the right zones (Z1 was around 5 minutes/km, z2 was 4:3x/km)

Slow again on Tuesday's Easy #2 run. I suppose runs like this are the point of training by heart rate, there's no way I'd drop down to 5 minute pace on an easy run if I was looking at paces

Steady #2 run this evening and it was tough enough - 4:03 pace in the first 20 minutes, 3:57 in the next 20, 4:09 for the final 20

Easy #2 yesterday morning, paces recovering a little by the looks of it

Day off today! and a massage later on...

and I said to the OH that I was thinking of Barcelona marathon next year, and she said air fares are very cheap if you book now... so it looks like I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

and I said to the OH that I was thinking of Barcelona marathon next year, and she said air fares are very cheap if you book now... so it looks like I'm in

But is it a single or family fare??

Family. All our holidays for the last few years have been the same, over to Spain to stay with the OH's parents. Which is great - they have a pool, they're near the beach, it's cheap, and everyone gets to see each other. But the kids have been looking for a bit of variety too. So we'll all go to Barcelona for a few days then get the train down to the in-laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a great shout Ray. Fantastic city and a fantastic Marathon. There is lots to do for all the family in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I hope there'll be Seranno ham & Rioja in the goodie bag!

• Advertisement

annoying weekend...

went out Saturday to do a Steady #1 run (15/15/15/15) I don't think I've run one of these in a month - still haven't :rolleyes: Started the 15 minutes in zone 3 but HR was refusing to rise to the correct level. After 5 minutes of running fairly hard I was still in zone 2. No way was I going to get to and stay in zone 4. So I stopped and changed down to an easy run.

Sunday, annoyed at Saturday, I went out for Intervals. Another failure :rolleyes: I didn't expect to hit the right zone on the first interval, but didn't hit it, even briefly, on interval 2 either. Just jogged home after that.

On both days my pace was fine (3.55 on Saturday, 3.26 and 3.14 on Sunday) when I checked it later but the HR wasn't reacting as expected. So, right to bin the sessions or should I have continued? :confused: Might be in TCD next week for a follow-up blood test, will ask then

Easy #1 run home on Monday, and a jog back into work Tuesday morning.

Very nervous all day Wednesday. Butterflies in my stomach at lunchtime ffs :rolleyes: I thought there might be trouble with traffic so I had my bag packed the evening before - cycle home, get bag, drive out to Santry... arrive at 5.45 before registration even opens :rolleyes:

on the plus side, met ecoli who was also really early so caught up with him for a while before getting my number, getting changed, and heading out for a slow warmup

back to the stadium in plenty of time to cool down from the jog, get more nervous, and discover that there were four other people in the race. feck

Lined up anyway, no crowding on the start line! and off we went. I was so distracted I didn't even start the garmin properly, I was halfway down the first straight when I noticed and got it going. Three of the guys were heading off into the distance, one guy hanging back behind me (he was doing a tempo run ahead of Belfast marathon, talking to him later he'd already been out for a long run that morning)

After the start its all a blur of endless repetition :eek: The guy behind slowly made up the gap and overtook, I'm guessing about 6/7 laps in. The leader lapped me the first time after 8/9, second and third lapped me sometime after halfway, followed by the leader again (and almost a third time). No trouble keeping count of the laps on this race, and easy enough for the officials to keep track too!

So what I remember from the race is not the scenery, or any exciting race tactics or anything much, just the steady grind of lap after lap after lap, each one slightly slower than the one before :rolleyes: And for whatever reason - nerves, the track, the low numbers, the availability of all these great excuses :rolleyes: - I couldn't rouse myself to a real race effort. I was slowing down, I knew I could go faster - and the Donore guy was a perfect rabbit for me to chase - but I didn't :(

Eventually the winner finished, and I picked things up a bit for the last couple of laps when the end was finally in sight. I'd probably have been fine with 36:25 if you'd offered it beforehand, but the conditions were there for a much better run and I know I didn't run to my limit, so I'm still pissed off about it :mad: Anyway - will miss meet 2, but I'll be back for the third one, either the mile or the 5000...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Very nervous all day Wednesday. Butterflies in my stomach at lunchtime ffs :rolleyes: I thought there might be trouble with traffic so I had my bag packed the evening before - cycle home, get bag, drive out to Santry... arrive at 5.45 before registration even opens :rolleyes:

on the plus side, met ecoli who was also really early so caught up with him for a while before getting my number, getting changed, and heading out for a slow warmup

back to the stadium in plenty of time to cool down from the jog, get more nervous, and discover that there were four other people in the race. feck

Lined up anyway, no crowding on the start line! and off we went. I was so distracted I didn't even start the garmin properly, I was halfway down the first straight when I noticed and got it going. Three of the guys were heading off into the distance, one guy hanging back behind me (he was doing a tempo run ahead of Belfast marathon, talking to him later he'd already been out for a long run that morning)

After the start its all a blur of endless repetition :eek: The guy behind slowly made up the gap and overtook, I'm guessing about 6/7 laps in. The leader lapped me the first time after 8/9, second and third lapped me sometime after halfway, followed by the leader again (and almost a third time). No trouble keeping count of the laps on this race, and easy enough for the officials to keep track too!

So what I remember from the race is not the scenery, or any exciting race tactics or anything much, just the steady grind of lap after lap after lap, each one slightly slower than the one before :rolleyes: And for whatever reason - nerves, the track, the low numbers, the availability of all these great excuses :rolleyes: - I couldn't rouse myself to a real race effort. I was slowing down, I knew I could go faster - and the Donore guy was a perfect rabbit for me to chase - but I didn't :(

Eventually the winner finished, and I picked things up a bit for the last couple of laps when the end was finally in sight. I'd probably have been fine with 36:25 if you'd offered it beforehand, but the conditions were there for a much better run and I know I didn't run to my limit, so I'm still pissed off about it :mad: Anyway - will miss meet 2, but I'll be back for the third one, either the mile or the 5000...

Nice time.

Reading your post, it sounds like you're saying there was a element of mental blow up? Wouldn't have thought you were susceptible to that from previous race reports?

TbL

Reading your post, it sounds like you're saying there was a element of mental blow up? Wouldn't have thought you were susceptible to that from previous race reports?

Never too late to start :)
    yeah, complete blow-up. Or do you still call it a blow-up when it happens before the race even began :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Never too late to start :)
    yeah, complete blow-up. Or do you still call it a blow-up when it happens before the race even began :pac:

No that's a capitulation ;)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sorry Ray I know this question is irellevant, but just out of curiosity what do you think that time would have translated to on the roads on a fair course? I'd love to give a track 10k a go but am still too slow I think.

Sorry Ray I know this question is irellevant, but just out of curiosity what do you think that time would have translated to on the roads on a fair course? I'd love to give a track 10k a go but am still too slow I think.

Honestly don't know, and I haven't run a road 10k in ages to compare. The track is completely flat, has that bounce, and the weather on Wednesday was great, hardly any wind and balanced right between warm and cool. On the other hand, a road course would be less monotonous and a road race would have more going on, less of a time trial feel.

Track maybe 30-60 seconds faster than road? If you run it well :rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

You looked very relaxed during the race from where I was sitting. I was anxious also all day and didn't run what I thought I should have. I will stop and introduce myself next time I see you!

Yeah, too relaxed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

That's a really strong run. I would have had kittens once it was known that there was only 5 in the race! It was essentially a solo time-trial by the sounds of it. Very tough. Good stuff.

Advertisement