Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've had a black big toe since DCM too. Wish it would hurry up and fall off. My toenails regenerated much faster back in the day. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

So is this the type of schedule Eliud Too follows...? (and I'm guessing Yaboya's is along the same lines?). Do you do any intervals or fartlek?
    I just re-read the post DCM thread with leftism and Wall.e; tbh it didn't make a lot of sense at the time, amazing the difference a few months makes. There must be a complete sense of freedom not worrying about pace but it looks like a bit of patience is needed as you transition into the new method. Really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, following with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I know you haven't got it long but how are you finding the Garmin 220 so far? Decent bit of kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pconn062 wrote: »
    I know you haven't got it long but how are you finding the Garmin 220 so far? Decent bit of kit?

yeah, its great - HR readings are good, satellite locks on immediately, alerts are good, workouts work - everything exactly as you'd want it

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So is this the type of schedule Eliud Too follows...? (and I'm guessing Yaboya's is along the same lines?). Do you do any intervals or fartlek?
    I just re-read the post DCM thread with leftism and Wall.e; tbh it didn't make a lot of sense at the time, amazing the difference a few months makes. There must be a complete sense of freedom not worrying about pace but it looks like a bit of patience is needed as you transition into the new method. Really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, following with interest!

I had another look at the post-DCM thread, and I see Eliud too has the same HR zones as me :pac: The details of his training are very different though, even aside from the massive difference in paces. He did multiple runs most days, easy runs and then mixed pace sessions, including some quite fast work. I'm on one longer (compared to a few weeks ago) run each day, lots of threshold pace stuff. No fartleks, and I haven't done any interval sessions yet but I will have four a month - 1k at high heart rate, five minutes recovery, six times. First one will be next Saturday, and I expect it to hurt :o

I'll be back in at the end of June for a follow-up test, and will probably get a different mix of sessions for that last month, and might be a different mix again for XC season

• Advertisement

Thanks :) One more question, and sorry if you've explained this already, what distance/s are you targeting (for races) and how soon can you expect to reap the benefits of your new schedule? (Ok, technically that was two questions :) )

Target is 5k, but I'll be doing some shorter and longer races too - up to 10k and down as short as 800 or 1500, depending on the graded schedule and what I can get to run on the national league team.

I would hope that by the end of June I'll see some improvement. The tricky thing is, I would expect to see some improvement anyway, on whatever running regime I would have ended up following instead. this plan... I understand why it should work, so I'm committing to it. Less stressful than second guessing every run, I just do as I'm told!

Thanks, best of luck. I'm planning on a few graded meets myself so see you at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

During my run on Saturday I passed by a place called Fasting Lente, it is on Old Conna road in Bray. I recognised the name from your log. So I googled it when I got home, 'therapeutical riding' was the 1st result :eek:
    So I googled the Latin translation - 'hasten slowly' I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, its great - HR readings are good, satellite locks on immediately, alerts are good, workouts work - everything exactly as you'd want it

+1 beats my old 305 hands down.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    During my run on Saturday I passed by a place called Fasting Lente, it is on Old Conna road in Bray. I recognised the name from your log. So I googled it when I got home, 'therapeutical riding' was the 1st result :eek:
    So I googled the Latin translation - 'hasten slowly' I like that.
    There's another Festina Lente on Herbert Road isn't there? Thanks for the translation, I noticed it a while ago and never got round to googling it :) Great choice of title btw Ray!

Easy #1 on Sunday. A little too much wine on Saturday evening, was catching up with me on the fast minute intervals - and they were getting slower each time. Still, average pace (including warm-up and cooldown) was 4:25/km

Monday - day off!

Tuesday - Steady #1 third time doing this and it isn't getting any easier. Basically 15 minutes at MP, 15 at HMP, 15 MP, 15 HMP, and crawl home. At least this time I planned it better so I finished 5 minutes from home, not 15.

Wednesday - Easy #2 into work

Today (and tomorrow) - day off!

Very glad this is an easy week, right hip has been getting stiff and have some soreness in my left calf.

The thought has occurred that this is like last year following the Daniels programme, which just ran me into the ground. But on the other hand Daniels was getting progressively harder while this should remain at the same level for the next few months, hitting heart rates rather than paces has an automatic stabilising effect, and there is more rest - days off, down weeks - in this plan. I just have to put in the time to adapt...

Intervals this morning
    The downside to the two days off is that it was time for the dread to build...
    Session is (warmup) 4-7 x 1k @ 180+ HR, with 5 minutes recovery between each interval (cooldown)
    Jogged up to Tymon in the wind, and did a few drills before the off (no, I wasn't just postponing the intervals, honest)
    First one - failure. HR maxed out at 179, average just 171, pace 3.33. Went out too hard, and died a death, basically, and effort wasn't sustained long enough to get into the HR zone. 30 seconds walk to catch my breath and a few minutes jogging, then
    Second one - HR maxed at 182, and I spent about 2 minutes in the right zone (average was 174), time 3.22. Tried to build slower this time but still - after about a minute I was thinking, "great, running fast, form good, HR right" and 30 seconds later I was flailing around the path, begging for the finish :pac:
    Third - same again, max 181, average 174, time 3.20
    Fourth - max 181, average 176, time 3.37, and I was seriously flagging
    Fifth - and I was done. Tired, losing focus, could not get the effort high enough. Max 177, average 172, time 3.32

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Not sure I could manage a HR centric plan Ray, too many variables to be considering while hurting.

Fair play to a lad of your vintage trying something new though :)

TbL

Not sure I could manage a HR centric plan Ray, too many variables to be considering while hurting.

Its not complicated while running - difficult but not complicated!

The watch counts down to the interval and I start speeding up. It beeps every 10? 15? seconds to tell me if my HR is too low or too high (different beep, but its not something you'd be confused about) and there's another beep that goes when you get into the right zone

So I run, and if I hear the watch beeping I run harder
    If I'm in a recovery and I hear the watch beeping, I slow down

You have to do more thinking if you're trying to run on pace - run into the wind or uphill, how much should you be slowing down, turn around and how much should you be speeding up?

easy#1 up and around Tymon this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

7:13 pace. That's fairly tipping along for an easy run Ray.

:mad:
    up before 6, in work by 7 so I'd have an hour to run around UCD before starting work - didn't even get into UCD before realising that my hip was too stiff for a session :( Could have jogged around for a while but dropped it completely, will try a day's rest

Tuesday - another planned session dropped. Felt okay warming up but started getting sore as soon as I went into the session so jogged home.
    Wednesday - since I'd run home yesterday, I had to run back in to work, took it easy again
    today and tomorrow - taking off completely

Still have a dull ache in my hip that fades in and out. Decided there was no point in half-arsed runs that would delay the recovery. I'll run easy again on Saturday, throw in some strides, see how that goes. I don't think I've ever DNSed a race, this should give me a decent chance of turning up in good shape on Sunday - I'll treat it like a taper.

In other words, I'll go completely insane for not running :eek::rolleyes::p

No race tomorrow for me...
    Went out for a test run thus morning. Hip still a bit off during the easy run, but only a distraction. Tried some strides though and it got much worse immediately , more rest and ice needed

• Advertisement

That's frustrating! Will you go to a physio?

Doctor internet has diagnosed it as bursitis and prescribed ice

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Sorry to hear that Ray. I'll have nobody to chase tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Doctor internet has diagnosed it as bursitis and prescribed ice
    I thought I had a bursitis looking at D. Google but transpired I had a twisted pelvis. Worth getting it checked out to be sure. Good Luck Ray.

paddybarry wrote: »
    I thought I had a bursitis looking at D. Google but transpired I had a twisted pelvis. Worth getting it checked out to be sure. Good Luck Ray.

Jaysus, don't think it's that serious! The annoying thing is the drastic difference between jogging and running, it really kicks in when I lift my knees. Maybe I should enter an ultra :-)

Have to say I agree with PB Ray. I had something completely different self-diagnosed :o which turned out to be simple muscle tightness in the hip...

starting to get back to normal...

went into town on Sunday anyway, we were heading out for lunch, so picked up my race top and watched the race with SuperJoe, Dr Evil and the Quirkettes

No running Sunday or Monday, Tuesday went out for an easy one (5 minutes zone 1, 10 in zone 2) x2, Wednesday a run home (same, x3), and out with the couch to 5k gang in the evening, Thursday same x3 back in to work.

Friday, day off and massage in the evening

Yesterday and this morning, regular Easy #2 runs.

Hip soreness is gradually fading away, but the pain at the front of my thigh was more stubborn. Ice three times a day helped, but each run still hurt and fast running was still out. So, most days this week I've been wondering if I should be running at all or would be better off resting. BUT this morning I felt much better, before and during the run. I'll still give it a couple of days before doing anything more than an easy run, but its in sight at least...

more of the same
    Easy#2 on Monday. fecking hailstones!
    Easy #2 again on Tuesday morning, into work around around UCD
    Easy #1 yesterday :eek::eek: adding the 1 minute fast bits to each 15 minute set
    That worked out okay, felt the hip/thigh a little on one of them but no real problems (apart from a minute feeling like a very long time)
    Easy #2 again this morning into work

Recovery day tomorrow and I need it, I can feel the muscles in my legs vibrating gently to themselves as I sit here. Will add a steady run on the weekend, possibly another during the week, will build it up slowly. ("Like you should have done the first time?" "Quiet, you")

another Easy #2 on Saturday. Two days ago but I remember not a thing from this run...

Failed Steady #2 run on Sunday. First steady run in weeks, and I found it hard to get into zone 3 at all, when I did I felt I was really working for it. In the zone 4 section I was bouncing between 3.9 and 4.1 a lot, also felt very hard. Ten minutes into zone 4 I called it quits, just couldn't do it any more.

Looking at the pace afterwards it was 3.52 for the zone 3 run, and 3.48 for zone 4, compared to last month when it was 4.18/4.25 for zone 3 and 4.06 for zone 4. So I'm not surprised it felt so hard, but I don't understand why I had to go so fast to raise my heart rate yesterday? It's not like the conditions were favourable!

Anyway, checked my calendar and it turns out this is an easy week again, so day off today...

• Advertisement

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014|2015
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59|199
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1|190
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45|169
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72|150?
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92|200?
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96|227.51
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55|202.86
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88|201.55
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34|177.62
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23|219.01
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3|~2300

not a great month by any means - 2.5 steady runs, 1 interval session, 1 DNS and not a huge amount of miles :rolleyes: anyway...

Steady #2 run yesterday evening. Timed it perfectly - the hail started just as I came out of the shower room in my running gear, but stopped before I left the building. Whatever was up on Sunday wasn't an issue today, all the heart rate zones hit with no more than the usual trouble, pace was 4:09/3:59/4:23

Easy #2 this morning, in to work and around UCD. Think I had something thrown at me this morning around the KCR - something flew over a wall and near my head, landing with a wet thud on the ground behind. Watch was beeping so no time to investigate...

Advertisement