Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yeah, I went into Trinity for tests back in February, details here and here

The testing was good, thorough (though not to failure), measuring both lactate and oxygen consumption. I came out of it with a set of heart rate zones and a training plan - the plan was beyond me, much harder than I could follow, but I used the sessions and some elements of the structure. I followed it for a few months before getting injured, too much stress that I wasn't able to bear (so you can choose how much of the blame goes to the training and how much goes on my poor form and lack of supplementary work :) )

one step forward, two steps back :rolleyes:

two weeks of consistent running ended painfully last Tuesday, sore enough that there was no running for a week. Short runs again the last couple of days, and I've replaced the battery in the HRM (readings were getting weird), so will be alternating zone 1 & 2 for a while

I'm probably inviting trouble by saying this :) , but finally training with some consistency again. Think it has been over a month since I last skipped a run because of soreness. Did go through a patch a few weeks ago where I'd stop to stretch on runs home from work, but that seems to have passed too. Training is still fairly light, average around 70k the last month or so, but steady. All very slow of course, usually just over 5 min/km on average, but at least part of that is deliberate.

Training at the moment is fairly simple

Monday - 5kish recovery
    Tuesday - run home, 10-12k, alternating 5 minutes very easy, 10 minutes easy, finishing with strides
    Wednesday - run into work, alternating 5 minutes very easy, 9 minutes easy, 1 minute hard
    Thursday as Tuesday
    Friday as Wednesday
    Saturday - club tempo run when I can, or one of the above sessions
    Sunday - 'long' run, alternating pace as Tuesday, usually 60/70 minutes

And alongside that
    in the morning (if morning run) - foam roll, inner calf, press-ups
    in the evening - same, plus ankle mobility, calf raises, lunges, squats, clams, single-leg bridge, single-leg squat, and some stretching
    except Monday evening, which is a gym session - squat, (weighted) calf raises, bench press, some lying down overhead weight yoke, usually more single-leg squats (unweighted) ... except once a month, blood donation day

Logging again because I'll be racing again - I haven't since the Dublin intermediates last year, not even a parkrun. I was thinking about the BHAA cross country, but there were club teams in the Dublin novices on the weekend, and we said we should do the Leinster novices too, and I kind of talked myself/was talked into it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Great to hear. Was wondering what was going on with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thought you'd retired, knew you hadn't died of auld age coz I saw the occasional post on other treads.

What particular injury has kept you out for so long or was it a combination of things?

TbL

The achilles, again and again. Rest a while, feels better, start running, get sore, stop running, rest, feels better, start running, get sore...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jazus!

Best of luck with the comeback

TbL

RayCun wrote: »
    The achilles, again and again. Rest a while, feels better, start running, get sore, stop running, rest, feels better, start running, get sore...

Ooof. So glad I never had trouble with mine...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm probably inviting trouble by saying this :) , but finally training with some consistency again. Think it has been over a month since I last skipped a run because of soreness. Did go through a patch a few weeks ago where I'd stop to stretch on runs home from work, but that seems to have passed too.

Do you still run home from work in your suit and work shoes? :p

Just thinking that may contribute to the problem :D

• Advertisement

Do you still run home from work in your suit and work shoes? :p

Just thinking that may contribute to the problem :D

I think you've got the wrong guy! I don't even have a suit that fits, and my 'work shoes' are old runners :pac:

I think you've got the wrong guy! I don't even have a suit that fits, and my 'work shoes' are old runners :pac:

100% was you that posted once about running home in your work gear because you couldn't have been assed waiting for the bus. Memory of an elephant here. ;)

100% was you that posted once about running home in your work gear because you couldn't have been assed waiting for the bus. Memory of an elephant here. ;)

:pac: yes, like 5 or 6 years ago

Very annoying evening :( Stuck in work for a meeting, which meant I missed my usual bus, was waiting ages for the next one then it went by full :mad: which meant I wasn't getting home in time to get to the club session :(
    Decided to walk home, but I'd been standing around so long at the bus stop I got bored and started jogging instead. In my work clothes and coat :rolleyes:

call it 6k @ 5.45 pace

I did catch up with another runner at a traffic lights and when we crossed the road was faced with a dilemma - stay behind her (and freak her out when she realises there's a guy in his work clothes - therefore not a runner - following right behind her as she runs)? or pass her out (in work clothes, with a bag on my back)?
    I passed her out

kmtd:97.82

Found it ;)

Found it ;)

Bloody hell.

Mental note: do not cross RQ and leave a 'paper trail'.

Marlay parkrun
    https://www.strava.com/activities/738198177
    First race this year... about what I expected. I haven't run Marlay since they changed route. Started fairly handy, slowed right down on the uphill, moved through the field for the rest of the race. Felt like I was working, but not hard enough, need to start racing once a month at least. 19.27 in the end thanks to a decent last k.

Also this week, chickey gave me her old HRM, so I'm running actual zone 1, zone 2 instead of guesstimates. My guesstimates were too slow! I'm running about 10 seconds/km faster this week to stop the beeping...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I saw you today at the parkrun! I waved but it looked like you were looking for someone and didn't see me.
    Glad to hear the hrm is getting used.

chickey2 wrote: »
    I saw you today at the parkrun! I waved but it looked like you were looking for someone and didn't see me.
    Glad to hear the hrm is getting used.

I'm half blind with a terrible memory for faces :)
    Sorry I didn't spot you!

Ditched the HR strap again :rolleyes::pac: I wore it the Thursday, Friday, Sunday around that parkrun last week, but I was starting to feel strained by Sunday. Looking back, I wasn't far off tempo pace for a lot of that run, which is too much, too soon. I'll reintroduce gradually, one or two runs a week.

Legs felt stressed for days afterwards, first the calves, then moving down to the ankles. I think there was a bit of a ratchet effect from the increase in pace, it didn't drop down to the same level again afterwards, so not recovering as quickly as I would have.

Tempo run in Marlay on Saturday, the usual 1500m lap. It stopped raining for the run but was pretty mucky, I'd brought the spikes though :)

Out in Abbotstown yesterday for the XC, didn't stay to watch the adult races though. The kid was pretty disappointed with his run, first time in years he hasn't qualified for nationals, so we had to make a quick exit :(

Gym - tried some deadlifts, I think all I accomplished was to stretch my arms :) 3 x 5 x heavy weights for the squat, and step-ups with dumbbells...

two (kind of) races -

the good - went back to Marlay parkrun on the 22nd, got the effort levels right, 18.34 this time.

the bad - Leinster Novice XC on Saturday. Started slow, got slower, dropped out :rolleyes: Terrible run, no redeeming features :(

Sunday was good, I was on the bag drop at the marathon. Saw Myles and Marthastew before the start (and Firedance also working the bag drop), got over to take a group photo of my clubmates, and finished up in plenty of time to cycle back along the course. Some great running out there, and the support seems to be getting better every year...

• Advertisement

Fairly steady the last couple of weeks, 80k each week.

4 mile tempo with the group a week ago, 5 mile tempo in Tymon myself on Saturday.

Some discomfort around the ankles/achilles, the feeling that my right foot in particular is moving too much from side to side when it is on the ground. As usual, not an issue when I'm running faster, so I'm trying to pull my feet through more on the easier runs.

We're getting an expert in to help develop our strength and conditioning programme over the next few months. I'll have to reserve some of his time for ageing joggers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

James Runner has a talk on you tube about "ageing joggers" called "faster beyond 40" https://youtu.be/iMdc7oOsWns

Mileage dropped down last week - legs weren't feeling great towards the end of the week so just did shorter, easy runs on Thursday and Friday, and a day off :eek: on Saturday. Sunday was a club run, about 50 of us up around Bohernabreena and back to a cafe for cake. Just an hour up and back, so about 12k with theboyblunder and a few others, plus a few k before and after to and from the car.
    Yesterday's gym session I was mainly on recording duties as a bunch of the younger athletes (u16/17/18) were put through their paces and given a session to follow for the next couple of months, good evening though.

distance back up again last week, 87k, including 9k tempo around Tymon on Saturday, and a 'long' run on Sunday around Phoenix Park - 19k, which is actually the longest run I've done with this watch.

Dublin Intermediates this Sunday. I really don't feel up to 8k cross country, but after watching the guys run the nationals on the weekend I can't refuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

distance back up again last week, 87k, including 9k tempo around Tymon on Saturday, and a 'long' run on Sunday around Phoenix Park - 19k, which is actually the longest run I've done with this watch.

Dublin Intermediates this Sunday. I really don't feel up to 8k cross country, but after watching the guys run the nationals on the weekend I can't refuse...

Make sure you don't risk a re-occurrence of the injury over this race. I was in the same situation two weeks ago, our senior race was on and I was back training but just did not feel up to 10k XC so had so say no even though I was leaving the lads stuck. Took me long enough to get back and didn't want to mess it all up for one race. I'd rather be running next years races!

Yeah, I felt the achilles for a while after the Leinster race, so I'll be taking it handy on this one. Course is pretty flat I think so that should help

annoyingly stupid weekend :rolleyes:

club party on Friday night, so I wear something slightly better than my usual old pair of runners
    which I might have gotten away with, if I hadn't walked home
    took all the skin off the back of my heel :rolleyes:
    which would be okay - I could still run on Saturday - if I wasn't supposed to be wearing spikes
    which were much too rigid for me to run in, sore after a short jog in them
    but I didn't really need spikes, the ground on Sunday was completely dry
    except the runners I was wearing were a heavy pair that I don't actually run in, and I spent so much time faffing about with the spikes that I didn't have time to change into them if I'd wanted to
    but practically any other pair of runners I own would have been fine
    So I didn't run the cross country, and because I had expected to be running the cross country I didn't do anything else that weekend :rolleyes:

stupid, stupid, and also stupid

at least I didn't get injured :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

We're getting an expert in to help develop our strength and conditioning programme over the next few months. I'll have to reserve some of his time for ageing joggers :)

If you can, make sure you have him or someone else checking on you regularly or semi-regularly - there's a bit of subtlety to doing them correctly and, if you’re particularly remedial (and I say that as someone who is!), S&C can be a bit pointless with bad/incorrect technique.

Sacksian wrote: »
    If you can, make sure you have him or someone else checking on you regularly or semi-regularly - there's a bit of subtlety to doing them correctly and, if you’re particularly remedial (and I say that as someone who is!), S&C can be a bit pointless with bad/incorrect technique.

We recorded the initial sessions, and he's going to be in about once a month (alternating between juveniles and adults, though I'll be at both sessions)

• Advertisement

73k last week. Gym on Monday (mainly weights) and Wednesday (mainly core and conditioning)

18:44 in Marlay parkrun - a real slog, the second half I was just wrecked, felt much slower.

Up early yesterday for a 'long' run around Tymon, then on the road early to get to Dundalk where a few of the kids were running.

Looking forward to a couple of weeks of less work, no coaching, less club business, fewer early mornings and more sitting on the couch...

Advertisement