Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, Ray. The least than ideal conditions for the rest of us must have suited you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done, Ray. The least than ideal conditions for the rest of us must have suited you :)

god no, it was horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done Ray, great time. See you finishing strongly at the end !

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Well done Ray. Sorry I didn't get to chat to you in McGrattan's after. Super run.

For a long time I would go to bed early. Through the heavy weeks of training I was regularly in bed by 10 (up for 6.30ish), except after meetings. Through the taper I was very lazy, lots of early nights and generally putting my feet up. I wasn't totally satisfied with my training, not enough long runs really, but from July/August the general shape of the training had been right. Good club sessions, a decent progression of long runs, all the times going in the right direction - I felt fit. So I was comfortable with the thought of losing a bit of edge in the last couple of weeks if it meant I turned up at the start line rested and ready.

It helped that I didn't have a hard time goal. I wasn't worried if this session indicated I was really on pace, or if I needed to do another run at x to firm things up. Instead of a goal, I had a plan, that got more solid the closer the race came - easy through the park, back on track (4.08 to 4.10 pace) by Donore, easy to the roundabout, then pick it up on Cromwellsfort Road (4.05 pace?) and again at the flyover. I reckoned that would be about 1.28 for the first half, and on a good day I could be 3 minutes faster over the second, but in any case a negative split suited the course, and planning for a big negative split would help me from pushing too much in the first half.

There was the usual taper madness in the last week - my hip/groin still bugged me now and then, the top of my left foot was sore one day and I had to stop and walk, OH came down with a bad cold on the weekend and on Sunday I was starting to think I'd caught the edge of it, then my daughter spent Sunday evening vomiting... - but it all came to nothing. Sure i'm a seasoned pro at this stage, it was just as I predicted ;)

Normal routine for race morning - regular breakfast, LUAS into town, bottle of lucozade powerade and a banana on the way in. Headphones on, blanking out the world on the way, which was great until I reached the square, took off my headphones, and had about five minutes of "JESUS **** ITS TODAY AAAAAAARRRRRGH" :pac: So I couldn't hang around chatting to clubmates, I had to get moving, drop the bag, start walking towards the wave start... once I was going again the nerves died down. Just as well I started moving anyway, I hadn't realised how far away the start line was (moved this year?), it was a fair walk and the pen was filling up. I just had time to shout some last-minute instructions at the 3.40 pacers (DFIU) as I passed, I'm not sure if they heard me:confused:

Found some space up front a couple of rows back from the thin blue line (makes a change from the usual thick red line;)) and was joined by a couple of clubmates. Go team! and we were off...

First k was the usual blur, stay upright, don't go crazy, what's the pace? 3.59 ****, slow it down - barely off Stephen's Green and it felt like I was at walking pace, waves of runners streaming by on either side of me. 4.11, 4.11 and 4.15 brought me past the early crowds and twists and turns, down to the quays and a nice bit of straight open road to find a rhythm, and wow there's a water station already! Got our first taste of the wind here as well, not a bother now but estimates of the pain to come in Crumlin went up another notch.
    5k was just at the entrance to the park? Didn't see it in the crowds - numbers spectating seemed to be way up on last time I ran Dublin. Already it wasn't feeling quite so easy, but 20.47 was right on target. I slowed right down on the run up Chesterfield, let the pace drop completely to keep the effort level constant, and it felt like the rest of the runners were gradually receding into the distance and I was running - well, not on my own, but in a much less dense part of the race. I didn't consider the implications of that until a few minutes later (6,7,8 were 4.21, 4.20, 4.14) when I realised that the sound of running had been growing louder for the last few minutes, and when I looked around there was some ****er with a flag there! :eek: It was a bizarre feeling, like being slowly swallowed :pac: and I had visions of being trapped in the 3 hour group, surrounded by runners and unable to break free:eek: :pac: I worked my way loose over the next couple of k, though I did spend far too much of the race hearing people say "oh look, there's the 3 hour pace group" and pointing not-very-far behind me :pac:

10k mat at 42:35, 568th place and I think barely sub-3 pace

Lots more crowds in Castleknock, started my first gel, and then finally the turn downhill. I'd been getting a bit worried in the park, the reality of dropping back always more stressful than the idea, but this next section was relaxing. I didn't push at all, just rolled down the hills, and it was great :) Just under 20 minutes for the 5k downhill through Chapelizod, and I was ready for the next section of the race.
    Sarsfield road hill was horrible as always, but I just jogged up it, and the next few miles had good crowds, a good atmosphere, and the running was fairly easy. I was starting to feel warm though, using every water station and pouring more of each bottle over me each time. And then, bloody hell, the turn over the canal and towards Crumlin :eek: it seemed like suddenly all the other runners disappeared, the nearest group was 100m up the road (and I just knew that if I ran up after them they would dissolve by the time I got there) and there were just ones and twos around me. No-one to shelter behind or work with, time to take another gel and tough ease it out.
    Halfway in 1:28:35, a little behind target 388th place (the following k was my slowest in the race, 4.33, and I dropped some more places there too)

That road was insanely long, 10 minutes to walkinstown, and more to the roundabout but finally we turned out of the wind and onto Cromwellsfort. Home turf for me, family out on the road, lots of people I knew around, time to start working. From this point on I honestly think only one person passed me in the rest of the race**. 24k mark was just past the roundabout, next 6k were 4.07, 4.03, 4.15 (beside Terenure college), 4.02, 4.10, 4.04. I was making good time - maybe not as much as I'd hoped for that section - but I was not happy. I was feeling hot, working just a bit too hard, the gels were annoying me - everything was annoying me. Shouted at a cyclist to stay off the ****ing course on Fortfield road (he deserved it, he was being a ****ing idiot, but why was I wasting energy caring?) and at a motorist in Dartry (another idiot, waited until 30 minutes after the marathon started passing his house to decide he wanted to take his car out, but again, not my problem) Ditched my arm wallet on the way into Terenure, taking the gels in my hand (stupid again, I'd just passed a load of club mates, could have thrown it to them) Brain no work good no more. Forced one gel down around 18-20 miles, some of the last one around 21-22

30k split 2:05:58 311th

Down into Milltown, wall of noise. Don't think I slowed down at all on the hill back out. Down towards Clonskeagh and jesus I am too hot. See a clubmate ahead and pass him out by the entrance to UCD (he hung on for sub 3), I just want this over with. Up and over and down Fosters Avenue, still moving okay, but I'm supposed to speed up at the flyover, amn't I? Hmmm.

Get to the bottom of Fosters Avenue and the first bad cramp hits my calf, half hopping for the next few steps and force it to settle down, but had visions of having to stop now with 5 ****ing k to go. aaargh, no not happening. Running up to the flyover, convinced that if I look down I'll see my muscles crawling around under my skin like a bad special effect:pac: On the other hand there's a guy in front with Norway on his vest and he seems to be moving well but getting closer, should probably figure out how I'm going to get past.
    Over the flyover. past Norway. there will be no sub-20 last 5k, the only two speeds are this and stop, this will have to do. I'd forgotten how much I hate that straight leading up by the RDS, seems to go on forever. hey there's Joe! where is the next mile marker? where is the 40k sign? who is this guy passing me out, what singlet is that? (Sligo AC I think from the photos) Turn onto Shelbourne Road, lots of clubmates stewarding here but I can barely see, just this road is bloody long. Round the corner. More clubmates. Uphill! one more corner. There's the pace car. more clubmates. loud. blue mat. finish

2:56:42 chip (:50 gun) 208th (207th) (on the tracker, 203rd? 35th M40, 189th male
    garmin

theboyblunder was waiting at the finish line, go team!, second runner was just 20 seconds in front of me. (Should have been a lot further ahead, but life interrupted his training the last few months)so we got to pose for photos :pac: before heading off for bags and physio. As usual, I was ****ed :pac: Slow shuffle around the corner, cursing whoever had the bright idea of putting the low numbers and the physio tent at the wrong end of the square. Clubmate 2 had wandered on ahead and was sitting on some steps in front of an office, he called me over and when I went to step up on the kerb my leg spasmed and I couldn't straighten it out again :pac: someone had to come over and pull it out for me. good times. Nothing that a massage, a shower, and a few pints couldn't fix anyway....

** just saw in finishing photos, I passed him back out before the line. In your face, M O'Connell of Sligo AC!!!

* okay, yes, that first line is just so as not to be outdone in literary opening references!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fantastic report Ray! And I love your report!!! Over the moon for you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Great stuff Ray, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congrats raycun I saw you from afar in the pub and wanted to congratulate you on that superb time but somehow missed you.
    fantastic. Well done!
    Not a stalker I swear!! Just remember seeing a pic of you on here and have seen you a few times in real life now.
    Hope you recover well!!

I was just in for a flying visit, I was tired but restless at that stage of the afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Ray. Great running. Wasn't many who negative splitted either, so excellent pacing too.
    Bit surprised by the report tbh. I thought you got your inspiration from ultraman1 from reading any of your previous log entries :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well Ray... Congrats on the PB and the negative split. Should give you a real positive confidence boost that you're in the kind of shape to run a PB in worst of conditions (my personal hell) and still manage a negative split. But Jesus, you really need to work on your paragraphing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well Ray... Congrats on the PB and the negative split. Should give you a real positive confidence boost that you're in the kind of shape to run a PB in worst of conditions (my personal hell) and still manage a negative split. But Jesus, you really need to work on your paragraphing!

Don't be complaining KC, at least we got a paragraph out of him, I was expecting a report along the lines of:

Monday: warm & windy. 1m wu with 26.2 DCM @ PB pace. 14 miles cd.

Anyone else's Garmin measure the course long (well maybe not that bit :))

TbL

I both live and work on the route, so it could have been
    23k warm up
    10k MP
    9k cooldown
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done. I saw you in the finish area and you looked cooked, you were limping badly and I feared the worst. Decided best not to ask how you got on......delighted it went well though, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Fair Play Ray. Cracking run...

Yep, it was me, don't worry, I'm well used to you passing me out ;)

ah, revenge was had as you blanked me this morning. I guess you were with your clubmates and you knew they'd be a little in awe of me, it could have been awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

RayCun wrote: »
    ah, revenge was had as you blanked me this morning. I guess you were with your clubmates and you knew they'd be a little in awe of me, it could have been awkward...

:)

Sorry Ray - your awesomeness was so much that I couldn't bring myself to acknowledge you.............(had I of seen you)

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72|150?
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92|200?
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96|227.51
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55|202.86
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88|201.55
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34|
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23|
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3|

quiet enough since...
    first run was Saturday 1st, up to Tymon parkrun to do the warm-up and back again. 2 x 4k - too far!
    20 minutes on the Sunday
    tBL's favourite - runmutes - during the week, all easy pace, short routes
    Friday 7th off
    Saturday - a few laps of the track and a run around the park beside it with the kids, to keep warm as much as anything
    Sunday off
    Monday/Tuesday - runmutes again
    Tuesday evening, kids' training was cancelled because of the weather so jumped into the adult session. 6 x 5 minute 'tempos' - yeah right :pac: first time running faster than marathon pace in aaaaages, so pace was 3.47, 3.30, 3.48, 3.41, 3.55, 3.37 - **** it, nice to just run again
    Wednesday/thursday - more runmutes
    today - double runmute, short route (apart from the diversions caused by weather)

still just ticking over
    last Saturday - brought the kid up to Marlay for XC training session and jumped in myself, hard runs up to the back car park (from level with playground) and recover on the downhills. Lovely mud :)

Sunday - no running. Blackrock AC ran a mini-competition down in Athlone on the indoor track and invited a few clubs, so most of the day down there. Hats off to them, it was a great day for the kids. Back home to a head-melting meeting :eek:

Monday/Tuesday runmute

Tuesday evening 8x400s (really about 415m :mad: :pac:)
    oops didn't start Garmin
    74 :pac:

stuck behind theboyblunder and his group for the first 3, but on 4 they opened an early gap. And of course when you are in touch you stay in touch, when you drop back you drop back even more. Everyone pegged it on the last one :pac:

Wednesday/Thursday runmutes

friday double runmute

Time to start racing again. Inters next week, Jingle Bells the week after maybe, and thinking of the Tom Brennan on new years day, I've never run it...

not technically a race yesterday, Tymon parkrun in 18.27
    a few clubmates down there before the start (and RainbowKirby was there too, hello again!) asked me what I was going to run, and I really didn't know. I knew on the way up that if it turned into another time trial I just wouldn't work at it. Luckily dublinrunner, paddybarry and a few more were there, and I could hang off the back of a gang from the start. 8 of us went through the first k fairly close before starting to spread out. Passed two then, one stayed right behind me to the end and one young guy I was chasing down for another 3k or so.
    This was kind of what I was talking about in the pulling the plug thread. I was never going to drop out of this run. But it would have been easy for me to ease off by a few seconds - catch my breath on the downhill bits, relax a bit on the drags, go around the puddles - and justify it because its only a parkrun, I'm just getting back from the marathon, whatever. And on another day I probably would have. But this day there was someone in front I knew I could catch, and someone behind who would catch me if I let him, so I kept going.

Today, off to the Intercounties with the kids, didn't do as well as we'd hoped but not too bad either, and did get to see Fionnuala Britton in full flight :eek: Back home for yet another meeting, but did the sensible thing and went out for a 40 minute run afterwards. And so to bed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

paddybarry wrote: »
    Thanks. Hopefully go sub 17 at Jingle Bells. Great to see the numbers getting bigger at Tymon. I have great time for the two older lads who finished top five. Hope I'm going as good at that age.

Nice of paddybarry to give ya a mention ;)

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72|150?
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92|200?
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96|227.51
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55|202.86
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88|201.55
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34|177.62
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23|
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3|

Monday 24th, runmute home with some strides at the end

25th - back to work in morning, tempo session in the evening. This was four minutes each interval, 2 minutes recovery. On a new route which must be full of sneaky drags, because
    3:53
    3:35
    3:52
    3:39
    and the fast ones felt much easier

26th - usual loop around UCD and home

27th - back into work

28th - in and out of work. Sore glute for most of the day, wore off over Saturday

29th - up to Tymon, parkrun warmup and home again

30th - Dublin intermediates. I was more concerned over the last few weeks with getting a team in at all, so it only really dawned on me yesterday that it meant I'd be running the ****er myself :pac: Last time I ran this was three years ago, first run in a club singlet, and I finished in the bottom 3? 5? :pac: Was bound to be some improvement this time, but not a lot! It's such a small race, people are less likely to give it a go than the novices... but that means the singlets stand out even more :)

Anyway, plan was simple - don't go out hard at the start, let everyone come back to you in the later laps. Didn't quite work out like that, still found myself running at 5k pace 500m in :pac: but calmed down soon enough. Had a clubmate working with me for most of the race and after the first lap we were steadily making up places (from bottom 10 to bottom 20:pac:) There was one guy from Raheny we were racing most of the way, swapping places constantly, but apart from that we were (slowly) passing people. Last lap my clubmate moved a few metres ahead, I followed and opened a similar gap on Raheny, there was a Sportsworld runner in front I thought was my brother so as trying to close the gap on him, but we finished in that order. (And I got given out to afterwards for not trying hard enough to beat my clubmate :pac:)

Calves very tight over the last couple of laps, and still today, so I think I'll have to skip any racing for a few weeks. Too many warning signals at the moment :(

nothing exciting to report...

Dec 1st - runmute home, finishing with diagonals in the park

Dec 2nd - runmute in in the morning
    Evening was a hill session, up to Stocking Lane and a run between two roundabouts. About a minute 50 (?) hard up from the lower roundabout to the top, then slow jog down for recovery

3rd - around UCD and home, more direct than usual because I had to be back early

4th - runmute back in

5th - runmute in and home

6th - instead of PB central :(, I ran up to Tymon, spent 30 minutes on the hill there, parkrun warmup and home again

7th - very hungover 10k + diagonals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

nothing exciting to report...

Dec 1st - runmute home, finishing with diagonals in the park

Dec 2nd - runmute in in the morning
    Evening was a hill session, up to Stocking Lane and a run between two roundabouts. About a minute 50 (?) hard up from the lower roundabout to the top, then slow jog down for recovery

3rd - around UCD and home, more direct than usual because I had to be back early

4th - runmute back in

5th - runmute in and home

6th - instead of PB central :(, I ran up to Tymon, spent 30 minutes on the hill there, parkrun warmup and home again

7th - very hungover 10k + diagonals

Nothing exciting to report? I beg to differ :-)

Ahem, BP male athlete of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

jcsmum wrote: »
    Nothing exciting to report? I beg to differ :-)

Congratulations Ray.

jcsmum wrote: »

Good thing voting was before that cross country race :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good thing voting was before that cross country race :eek::pac:

Well done Ray. Who is that poster that broke the news ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I assume that the award was for male VETERAN athlete of the year :)

did you run the 12 mins home with the trophy in one hand!!

TbL

cycled home :)
    with my gold medal from the marathon too :)
    team medal
    over 35 team
    Dublin only

my gold medal

• Advertisement

Monday 8th - runmute home, plus diagonals

Tuesday 9th - runmute in
    Tempo session in the evening, 3 x 10 minutes with 3 minutes recovery, we were running up the Firhouse Road into the wind then turning back to the starting point. km splits were crazy
    Tempo 1 - 3.49 pace (4.01, 3.53, 3.23) this was 6 minutes up 4 back
    Tempo 2 - 3.45 (3.58, 3.44, 3.29) 5 and 5
    Tempo 3 - 3.45 (3.57, 3.45, 3.28) 5 and 5
    and that was me trying to keep the effort levels constant

Wednesday 10th - UCD loop and home

this morning - runmute in

the plan for the next few weeks/month is to keep the weekly mileage around the same, 80-100k (apart from stepback weeks), but with the pace a little faster, around 4.40/km instead of 4.50, on all runs. Club session Tuesday, something (parkrun, hills, intervals) on Saturdays, and throw in those diagonals regularly

Advertisement