Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RayCun wrote: »
    Driving is still sore

Good thing you've got a super-hot chauffeur for tomorrow so!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck tomorrow Ray!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Good thing you've got a super-hot chauffeur for tomorrow so!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

21.21 in 82.17 (3.53) AHR 175 MHR 185 39th overall, 4th M40 (but 2 and 3 were five minutes up the road)

I arrived in Bohermeen in style, chauffeur driven by Lady Penelope in one of her little run-arounds ;) (thanks again for the lift guys, driving myself would have been very sore) Met up with most of the large contingent of boardsies down there, all of whom seemed to have good races. I started getting antsy around 11.30 and went out for a warmup, I wanted to make sure I was good and loose before the start.
    The start was a bit late - the only thing I'd fault the race for, I think, it's a bit frustrating to be lined up at 12.00 and see a steady stream of people jogging down from the race centre. We got off anyway, and after a few minutes I find I'm right behind Pauline Curley, going at about 3.30 pace... time to slow down a bit. Unfortunately I never really settled into a pace during the race. I was constantly looking at my watch, seeing 3.5x (or sometimes 4.0x later in the race) and trying to speed up, I very, very rarely looked down and saw the right pace.
    The first lap went by fairly easy. I was working through groups, trying to find one going at the right pace and pushing on. Looking back now I can see that I was behind pace for most of the first half, but it didn't feel like that. By the end of the lap I'd left all groups behind and as far as I could see there were only three other runners to think about - a Celbridge guy 10/15m ahead, St Coca's guy in front of him, and a Clonliffe guy right behind. Clonliffe guy was persistent. For 2 solid miles he would surge up behind me and draw level, then I'd speed up again and put in a bit of a gap - but never really get closer to the guys in front. We ran like this for over ten minutes, but at the 9 mile marker there was a sharp turn so I said **** it, took the corner hard and put in a bigger gap. 15/20m? Far enough that I couldn't hear him breathing.
    I was really starting to suffer now though, glutes were sore, quads were sore, and I was dog-tired. Mile 10 marker (63.x) and a bus came by, 5 runners in a good group (where were they earlier?:rolleyes:) and I couldn't follow them. Mile 11 we hit the hills, and Clonliffe is behind me again. Mile 12 he's beside me, and all the last mile we are running side by side down the road, both trying to drop the other, neither giving an inch. Finally I see the turn for the finish line ahead and manage to pull away. Round the corner and down the finishing straight in some shambling impersonation of a sprint, expecting him to take me any second, but I held him off. :)

So, not the result I was looking for, but not too bad. Having that guy to race helped a lot (him too, he's off to Rotterdam and was very pleased with his time today) I could easily have been slower again. The problem was not so much with my knee but with the issues it caused, the tightness everywhere else and the lack of solid training last month, so I'm happy enough that I'm on track. Will still give sub-80 a bash in the summer.

this week- 88.34 km
    this month- 42.4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done Ray, with the few problems you've been having that's a good improvement from September. Much more to come over the next few months.

(and the new log title means....??)

• Advertisement

and a change to the log title, because the whole 'crisis' thing was supposed to be a joke but I don't think it comes across in type.
    The new title is because people keep congratulating me for target times, targets I only hit now and again. It came to me today when my target time felt very far away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done today Ray!
    That Celbridge lad was my mate Philip who went on to squeeze just under 1:21 by one second!
    Blockic was in and around you for a while also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done grandad. Great running...your improvements are still unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

belcarra wrote: »
    Well done today Ray!
    That Celbridge lad was my mate Philip who went on to squeeze just under 1:21 by one second!

That Philip guy also works in the same place as me and ran a fantastic 5k race last Thursday, finished 2nd.

belcarra wrote: »

In, around, and in front :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That Philip guy also works in the same place as me and ran a fantastic 5k race last Thursday, finished 2nd.

Yep, 16:44! How did you get on in it yourself RK?
    (It wasn't short by any chance?? ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Us Ballycottoners were all chuffed with our times yesterday and then we heard what you had ran in Bohermeen.......
    Amazing running....again.
    In your racing, wanting = getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Great race Ray....think I spotted you at the end....that Bro Pearse singlet is hard to miss...like a loop the loop icepop.:pac: Will say hello next time.

Singlet of champions!
    I got a shout during the race for club of the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

statss wrote: »
    Great race Ray....think I spotted you at the end....that Bro Pearse singlet is hard to miss...like a loop the loop icepop.:pac: Will say hello next time.

:D
    It's not the most asthetically pleasing but we sure do stand out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

jcsmum wrote: »
    It's not the most asthetically pleasing but we sure do stand out!

Poxy combination of colours alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Great time Ray, Rock n'Roll seventies coming up?

AJAYC wrote: »
    Great time Ray, Rock n'Roll seventies coming up?

That's what I want :)
    If I can de-batter this body, get back to solid training, maybe take a gel in that race...
    ... worth aiming for anyway

statss wrote: »

And the shorts... A Wibbly Wobbly Wonder ;):D

jcsmum wrote: »
    It's not the most asthetically pleasing but we sure do stand out![/QUOTE]

That's cos of the grass on your legs from you ''track''! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great time Ray, but please dont change your log name before a race, i was looking for it on Sunday on my phone but couldnt find it anywhere!!

Well done again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great stuff Ray. Knocking those times down.

You targetting a marathon time?

2.4x, x depends on my next half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Excellent. You're going great guns, not to mention pics in Fit magazine etc ;)

Some improvement in the hm time given it was less than a year when you went sub sub 40.

Next race is the national 10k/Great Ireland run, and probably the K-Club 10k a week later. So the goal for the next 6/7 weeks is to get back to the regular training plan - 10 runs/week, ~110k, sessions on Tuesday and Saturday, long run on Sunday - without the all-over stiffness I have at the moment, made worse by Sunday but there before, and without this ****ing knee pain that kicks in every time I sit down for more than 10 minutes. Or drive. Or go to sleep on my side. :rolleyes: (which is I'm sure the major cause of the stiffness and tension)

To get there -
    proper stretching after every run
    easy stretches in the morning
    icing every hour when at home
    foam rolling every evening
    glute exercises at my desk
    back to the core work I stopped last month because of my knee
    physio Saturday and again next month

I liked it better when my training plan was
    run
    run some more
    :rolleyes:

Holiday at the beginning of May, two weeks of light running (but maybe keep up the stretches etc, then
    Sportsworld 5 mile (a few hours after flight back)
    Dunshaughlin 10k
    national half
    Rathfarnham 5k
    Dublin Novice XC
    Dublin marathon
    and a winter of XC

maybe the odd Marlay parkrun or midweek BHAA race along the way.
    Will talk to the coach about marathon-specific training in June, if I'm back on track by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Well done Ray, you're absolutely flying!

What glute exercises do you do at your desk? I could do with doing a few of those myself!

If you are sitting at work, try sitting on your hands so you can feel your glutes then squeeze your glutes as if you are going to stand up then release, do this 10times, several times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RayCun wrote: »
    If you are sitting at work, try sitting on your hands so you can feel your glutes then squeeze your glutes as if you are going to stand up then release, do this 10times, several times a day

Am I the only person thinking 'Ron burgundy'?? :)

just 3 runs this week, all slow, 26.21 total.
    Decided to take a complete break from running for a week. Physio again yesterday and the first suggestion was to consider an MRI, but I'm going to go with a week of rest/stretching/strength/rolling/icing, and see how it goes. Feel a lot better after the rubdown yesterday, but we'll see how it goes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

<<buys Ray a beer>>

Advertisement