Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Friday
    8.77 in 43.45 (4.59)
    This was with the wind behind me as well, so I'm still well below par. 20 minutes core in the evening

Saturday
    4.66 in 23.01 (4.57)
    10.34 in 55.16 (5.21)
    3.88 in 24.13 (6.14)
    Back to the Saturday hill intervals. Jogged up to Tymon and met 4 people from the club who were joining the session (two more arrived a little later). Same session as always - 30 minutes of fast uphills and walk/jog downhills. A little tricky on the uphills because there was some frost on the path, but not so bad. I think everyone else enjoyed the session too, so I'm obviously not the only crazy person around :pac: Went out a bit later for a recovery jog. The morning session must have taken a lot out of me, because I started coming down with a headache in the evening, something I used to get sometimes after long, hard runs.

Sunday
    23.33 in 1.57.43 (5.03)
    A real slog out there, through the mud and the wind of Tymon. Clearly I'm still a bit run down. (pic attached, this is what I usually look like after these Sunday runs)

103.25 km for the week, 5.11 average pace

incidentally, Larry Brent's post on the main forum and the discussion on jackyback's thread have convinced me to get down the HRM later today and see if I can get it working...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm hoping that's mud on your legs and not the result of lack of shaving. Oh...that's right....this isn't the tri forum, is it? ;)

Nice work going on here - hope you get to feeling 100% soon! And Larry Brent's posts on JB's thread were brilliant. I know I learned a thing or two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RayCun wrote: »

Saturday
    Back to the Saturday hill intervals. Jogged up to Tymon and met 4 people from the club who were joining the session (two more arrived a little later). Same session as always - 30 minutes of fast uphills and walk/jog downhills. A little tricky on the uphills because there was some frost on the path, but not so bad. I think everyone else enjoyed the session too, so I'm obviously not the only crazy person around :pac: Went out a bit later for a recovery jog. The morning session must have taken a lot out of me, because I started coming down with a headache in the evening, something I used to get sometimes after long, hard runs.

Who're you calling crazy? Great session alright. :)

:(
    Monday
    11.06 in 53.03 (4.52)

Tuesday
    8.75 in 51.41 (5.55)
    7.7 in 41.03 (5.20)
    Recovery run into work. Went along to training in the evening, but didn't feel up to a session so just went for a jog.

Wednesday
    14.45 in 70.19 (4.52)
    Run didn't feel very smooth tonight, but not so bad. But then I stopped at a traffic light and when I started again had a sharp pain in my knee :( Usually it's okay when running, sometimes a bit of a dull ache, but no real pain. I ran it off and continued home, but this isn't getting better on it's own. Next step- a few rest days. I think the problem is just overuse, so maybe after a few days of underuse I can start overusing again...

Thursday
    8.56 in 47.08 (5.30)
    All my stuff was in work, so I had to run in...

Friday morning I dug out a cool bandage from the Raheny goodybag and wrapped up my knee. The improvement was immediate, knee felt completely better, no pain walking, sitting, getting up... Took the bandage off after a few hours, and after lunch it started twinging again.
    Saturday I tried the bandage again, this time without the coolant - no real effect.
    Genius that I am, I deduced it was the cold that worked :pac:
    the advice in the Lore of Running to treat runner's knee with 2 x 20 minutes of ice a day probably helped :pac:

Sunday
    9.3 in 43.33 (4.41)
    Heavy legs, clumping feet, twinges all over the place - I really don't do days off :pac: - but no knee trouble. Then I went to the movies... 30 minutes of sitting down later and the knee was sore again :rolleyes: So the running is back on from tomorrow, back to the regular schedule, and I'll be icing regularly too. I wonder if can get a footrest for under my desk?

This week - 59.82
    This year -524.61

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

** Pictures Ray running with 2 ice bandages in next race**

a good run :)
    13.26 in 60.43 (4.35 average)
    Today was handy enough in work - got to spend time on my feet, and support my leg at other times, so my knee felt fine. No tiredness either at the end of the day - a combination of the couple of days off and the EPO iron tablets I've started taking? For whatever reason,anyway,I was full of beans when I finished work, so I charged off on the run, under 4.30 pace.
    First few minutes I thought I was in trouble. I was feeling every step in my knee, discomfort radiating up and down the leg. But then it faded away :) The other usual twinges, and the consciousness of the bit of effort I was putting in, came to the forefront and the knee ache just faded away. Interestingly it came back for a second as I was leaving Bushy park. It was about 8k into the run and I was starting to tire a little. My knee started to complain again and I noticed I was sitting back on my stride - I pushed forward again and it went away. :)
    Finished off with some strides, which I haven't done in months. Taking my life into my hands in the local park full of off-lead dogs and feral owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Consider taking these also, I've been taking since my knee trouble last year.
    086%5C5051622663086%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

the good
    I'm still feeling full of energy compared to the previous couple of weeks. Either those days off or the iron were really needed. Funny how you get used to feeling tired all the time, until you aren't. (I'm in to give blood again in a few weeks, so I'll found out then if I'm ODing on Fe :))
    the bad
    I'm limping around the office all day. Sore yesterday all the way up my thigh and down my calf, driving hurts, and I'm looking for any excuse to walk around and stretch my legs or put my foot up.
    the good again
    club training last night, my knee was a bit achy in the warmup but completely fine then. chased theboyblunder up Stocking Lane a few times, getting further and further away each time :pac: with no pain whatsoever. Except in the lungs :pac:
    so, I'll keep up the icing, and keep standing through as many meetings as possible, but I'm feeling optimistic about the running again and looking forward to Bohermeen :)

club training last night, my knee was a bit achy in the warmup but completely fine then. chased theboyblunder up Stocking Lane a few times, getting further and further away each time :pac: with no pain whatsoever. Except in the lungs :pac:
    :)

My group actually thought we heard the sound of talking and dare I say it, laughing from your group going UP the hill yesterday. :eek:
    I was hardly able to talk on the way DOWN.

Good session alright.

• Advertisement

Tuesday am
    8.65 in 46.57 (5.26)
    Recovery run into work

pm
    6.36 in 39.15 (6.10)
    Club session, 6x500s up StockingLane

Wednesday
    14.54 in 70.09 (4.50)
    Medium long run home from work

Thursday am and pm
    Recovery run in and a trundle home carrying too many bags. Garmin out of charge, call it 8k each way.

Friday
    8.75 in 39.48 (4.33)
    Short one this morning, so I went a little faster

Hill session this morning

warmup - 4.63 in 22.06 (4.46) AHR 154 MHR 168
    pace and heart rate climbed together - 4.59 and 144bpm in the first k, 4.32 and 164bpm in the last stretch (I was running late)

then the session itself
    5.88 in 30.53 (5.15) AHR 161 MHR 180
    15 x 200m~ uphill with a walk/jog back recovery
    HR and elevation are like sine waves here. Charge up the hill, heart hits max at the top, then down the hill and HR falls just after

and then the jog back home
    4.61 in 24.20 (5.17) AHR 148 MHR 156

lots more data needed before I do anything with those numbers, but I'm already pretty sure my max HR won't be much higher than 180...

Out to Santry again this morning for the Indoors. Had to be there for 9.20 so set the alarm for 6. Mouthful of juice, threw on the gear, and out into the dark. Ran up to Tymon but it was too dark to do my usual muddy circuit, spent most of the time running on the path. 5(?) laps in gradually growing brightness and back home to throw some food in, step in and out of the shower, and drive to Morton Stadium. Then sit there for about an hour before the first race :pac:
    21.64 in 1.49.51 (5.05) AHR 146 MHR 159
    Pretty slow out there. I won't enter any 6.30am races:pac: AHR only climbed over 150 on the last few k, when I left the park and started home and the pace started to climb too.
    Knee is still uncomfortable, a hot point developing sometimes on the front of the kneecap, but generally feels ok to run on. Fixing my hip position and footstrike helps. Driving though is not pleasant :( Starts uncomfortable and gets to sore pretty quickly, especially when I have to use the clutch.

km this week: 109.12
    this year: 633.73

Monday
    12.49 in 58.47 (4.43) AHR 156 MHR 170
    Very old-school run this one. Full of energy at the start, flagged in the middle, felt strong again at the end. Pace seems to have been more or less the same throughout, but HR looks high.

Tuesday
    8.66 in 47.75 (5.31) AHR 142 MHR 159
    recovery run. More conscious of my knee on these runs than on most runs. Maybe I run differently, maybe I don't have the distraction of other aches and strains?
    7.12 in 32.02 (4.30) AHR 153 MHR 183
    Club session, back to the 800s. Pretty consistent, 2.48 to 2.52 - though I did take a break between 4 and 5 to talk to the NATIONAL 400M CHAMPION :D

Wednesday
    14.5 in 68.03 (4.42) AHR 156 MHR 169
    The usual midweek medium long run, around UCD and home.

The knee is still a problem. Fine on fast runs, I can feel it on slower runs, and sitting down/driving is getting worse not better. Off to a physio on Saturday - only about a month overdue:pac: - so we'll see what the word is.

Club session, back to the 800s. Pretty consistent, 2.48 to 2.52 - though I did take a break between 4 and 5 to talk to the NATIONAL 400M CHAMPION :D

Which club does she represent again Ray? ;):cool:

Thursday
    8.69 in 49.03 (5.39) AHR 145 MHR 160 (must have run across a road?)
    recovery run the morning
    8.74 in 43.12 (4.57) AHR 152 MHR 165
    and an easy run home.
    Knee very sore during the day, and still tender as I ran home

Friday
    no running :eek:

Saturday
    8.6 in 44.5 (5.08) AHR 152 MHR 174
    had planned to do the hill session in the morning but my knee was tender again as I ran up to meet the others. I knew I'd be able to get through the session, but also that I'd pay for it later :( so I turned around and went home.

Today
    8.96 in 43.56 (4.54) AHR 155 MHR 165
    just an easy jog

After yesterday's run I went up to B2R to the physio there. The good news i that there doesn't seem to be anything seriously wrong with me, just a bit of tendonitis. But my muscles are all rock hard - she asked me to squat at the start and I went down about 2 inches - so everything is being pulled around. Got a massage, and have lots of icing stretching, and rolling to do before I go back again after Bohermeen. By then I should be a bit looser and she'l be able to confirm the problem, and do some more specific work.

Then I spent the afternoon at Tallaght track, in the snow, watching the relays. Not the recommended post-massage recovery I'm sure.

this week: 77.76km
    this year: 711.49

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Any target for Bohermeen Ray or has the knee put a stop to that? It hink even without ideal training you can still run a great race based on your 5 miler.

Not a time, but a pace - 3.50/km (works out about 81 minutes) On the basis that 3.50 pace in a half points to 4.00 pace in a marathon.
    Training will be light this week but I entered this race to see if I could hold that pace, no point moving the goalposts now.

the Dublin 'Indoor' Championships on Saturday
    img_0393.jpg
    yesterday really was indoors so naturally the sun came out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

the Dublin 'Indoor' Championships on Saturday
    img_0393.jpg
    yesterday really was indoors so naturally the sun came out :rolleyes:

Is that snow or ashes from the burning cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not a time, but a pace - 3.50/km (works out about 81 minutes) On the basis that 3.50 pace in a half points to 4.00 pace in a marathon.
    Training will be light this week but I entered this race to see if I could hold that pace, no point moving the goalposts now.

That be a great time for ye. Interesting in what you said, that 3.50 is roughly a 4.00 pace time for a marathon. Where you get this from?

Would not double your half time and add 17 mins to it?

Just asking because its usually alot more for me, half would be 7:34 pace but marathon hasn't got any lower than 8:30 pace. Maybe i just need more long runs:D This year will tell.

That be a great time for ye. Interesting in what you said, that 3.50 is roughly a 4.00 pace time for a marathon. Where you get this from?

Most recently, Larry Brent's post here
    But I've seen the same thing before, in Daniels maybe? If you take your time per track lap (400m) for a distance, then you should be slowing by 4 seconds per lap when you double the distance. 4 seconds/lap is 16 seconds/mile is 10 seconds/km. So 3.50/km for a half is 4.00/km for a full.
    It's just a rule of thumb, obviously. 3.50 pace is 81 minutes, McMillan says that's 3.50.28 for a full, 4.02 pace. Doubling and adding 17 minutes seems a bit crude - not enough to add for a 2 hour half marathoner, too much for someone with a one hour half?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Most recently, Larry Brent's post here
    But I've seen the same thing before, in Daniels maybe? If you take your time per track lap (400m) for a distance, then you should be slowing by 4 seconds per lap when you double the distance. 4 seconds/lap is 16 seconds/mile is 10 seconds/km. So 3.50/km for a half is 4.00/km for a full.
    It's just a rule of thumb, obviously. 3.50 pace is 81 minutes, McMillan says that's 3.50.28 for a full, 4.02 pace. Doubling and adding 17 minutes seems a bit crude - not enough to add for a 2 hour half marathoner, too much for someone with a one hour half?

Yeah true. Suppose its something we learn as we go along. But if you get a clear shot at the marathon and maybe eased off a bit on the amount of races, you will set a fab time for the marathon.

What a great photo! Steely determination or what?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Is that snow or ashes from the burning cars :)

It's supposed to be indoors, but someone nicked the roof.

Just some easy running this week. Well, Monday I started out fast because my legs were fresh, but halfway home I copped on and slowed down. Very easy since then, lots of stretching, icing, glute clenching and rolling. Driving is still sore, sitting down getting less so, running is getting better... we'll see how it goes.
    342.47 km this month, guess I was due a bad one

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8
    March|53.2|121.83|214
    April|72|106.33|201.18
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21
    August|124.4|168|240.27
    September|154|171.75|203.69
    October|108.7|191.2|229
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87
    December|83|166.58|285
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Felt so guilty for not doing a morning run this morning as I saw you flying by the car on the way into work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

ecoli wrote: »
    Felt so guilty for not doing a morning run this morning as I saw you flying by the car on the way into work :D

I hope you at least gave him a wolf-whistle? ;)

• Advertisement

I wasn't wearing my short shorts :)

Advertisement