Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Ray - were you over by Santry running this evening by any wild chance?
    I met a guy with a Boards top and a grey beard/goatee around Morton Stadium but didn't manage a proper retina ID so not sure if it was you or a doppelganger...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

belcarra wrote: »
    Ray - were you over by Santry running this evening by any wild chance?
    I met a guy with a Boards top and a grey beard/goatee around Morton Stadium but didn't manage a proper retina ID so not sure if it was you or a doppelganager...

No, he was wearing a yellow top this evening if my wifey skills remember correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Marthastew wrote: »
    I've a quick question for "The Chairman".....
    A while back you and the Klown were discussing training for Raheny 5 mile (can't remember where) I've been unable to do the November and December key workouts but I plan to do the 2 X 2 mile + 1 X 1 mile this month to see where I'm at. When in January would you recommend doing this session?

My apologies for answering on behalf of "The Chariman" :rolleyes: but I think the thread you are referring to is this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231396&page=5

It started off discussing the McMillan 10k sessions but around page 5 the discussion shifts to modifying the sessions to prep for Raheny 5 mile!

RayCun wrote: »
    Plus a half marathon in the summer, maybe even two, but I haven't decided which yet. I want to do the national half, but if it's the Rock and Roll and it's overpriced, I might have to look elsewhere.

Great year Ray and a great summary, your progression over the last 3 years is really inspiring. Some great results and a great selection of races in 2012.

I'd be happy to recommend the Longford Half in August as a good one, looks like it would fit well with your race plan too. It's a little pricey, but a well run club race, I hit a milestone there myself in 2012 and plan to put it in the calendar for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

A while back you and the Klown were discussing training for Raheny 5 mile (can't remember where) I've been unable to do the November and December key workouts but I plan to do the 2 X 2 mile + 1 X 1 mile this month to see where I'm at. When in January would you recommend doing this session?

PS I didn't want to ask Krusty as I know he's under the weather and I'm worried this talk of training sessions will push him over the edge;)

Get well soon Krusty:)

Roughly translated - "Krusty was my first choice as he always gives the best advice...but in the circumstances, I suppose you'll have to do". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No, he was wearing a yellow top this evening if my wifey skills remember correctly...

and not running around Santry, just 800s in Knocklyon...

It's a tough session, and will be particularly hard because you haven't done any of the build-up sessions to get a feel for that 5 mile pace. I'd do it at least a week before the race. You'll want to have at least an hour, to do your warmup and cooldown too, and somewhere you can run without stopping to cross roads etc, ideally on a route where you know some mile markers. So do the session when you can get those things right rather than on a particular day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

PS I didn't want to ask Krusty as I know he's under the weather and I'm worried this talk of training sessions will push him over the edge;)

The news you don't want to hear, I personally wouldn't jump straight into that session, you really should build up to it.
    There's only 18 days to Raheny so I would stick to the Mile repeats, maybe 4 x 1 this week and and 5 x 1 next week, supplement that with a 20 -30 min tempo run and then sharpen a little 3-4 days beefore the race with 6 x 800 or 8 x 400 - not full out just focus on running efficiently at race pace.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Dont ignore sore knees!

I'm not!
    For now at least it doesn't seem too serious. When I spend a long time in one position (eg, sitting at my desk) my knees stiffen up, when I move around they loosen up again. They haven't given me any trouble when I'm running, and even when they're stiff/sore there's no sharp pain.
    I've added stationary lunges to my core routine, and I'll be trying to sneak in a set during the day too when I can.
    Also, I was looking back over my training for the last couple of weeks, and it's been a bit stupid. Although I'm supposed to be running for time not pace on most runs, I haven't been able to resist checking the Garmin sometimes, and speeding up when it seems to slow :o:rolleyes: What makes this even more stupid is that the average pace will often be slow because my route to/from work involves crossing a lot of roads, and sometimes I'll lose a minute or two standing at the side of the road. So while I should be running by effort, and I don't have autopause switched on because the pace is irrelevant (and I don't want it switched on in a race), I've been running faster on some runs to get my average pace, after traffic breaks, down to what I think it 'should' be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the well-wishes Marthastew. McMillan stipulated that the 'key' workout should be 9-12 days before your goal race (somewhere between next Tuesday 15th and Friday 18th). Have to agree with Dom though, without having done the build-up sessions, this will be a really big ask, unless your 5 mile target/goal pace is sub-optimal. You could try 4-5 x 1M at goal pace this week, and if it feels particularly manageable, then go for the full hog next week (though not if you are suffering any injuries or niggles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Also, I was looking back over my training for the last couple of weeks, and it's been a bit stupid.

I'm speechless! :eek:;)

Also, I was looking back over my training for the last couple of weeks, and it's been a bit stupid. Although I'm supposed to be running for time not pace on most runs, I haven't been able to resist checking the Garmin sometimes, and speeding up when it seems to slow :o:rolleyes: What makes this even more stupid is that the average pace will often be slow because my route to/from work involves crossing a lot of roads, and sometimes I'll lose a minute or two standing at the side of the road. So while I should be running by effort, and I don't have autopause switched on because the pace is irrelevant (and I don't want it switched on in a race), I've been running faster on some runs to get my average pace, after traffic breaks, down to what I think it 'should' be :rolleyes:

Is there an option for displaying 'Av Pace-Moving Time'?
    I know this is available on GC but it may well also be available on the watch itself as a display field? This would rule out the need for autopause or stopping for traffic, of course you would still have a little lag from slowing down and speeding up but overall probably negligible...

belcarra wrote: »
    Is there an option for displaying 'Av Pace-Moving Time'?

Don't know... but the main problem is that easy runs should be about effort, not pace. If I run faster one day or slower another, so be it.

Don't know... but the main problem is that easy runs should be about effort, not pace. If I run faster one day or slower another, so be it.

Ahh yes, but that doesn't appear to be working!
    At least if you had that screen option available you'd be less inclined to speed up.

Might just set the display to show the time.

Month|2010|2011|2012
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79
    March|53.2|121.83|214
    April|72|106.33|201.18
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21
    August|124.4|168|240.27
    September|154|171.75|203.69
    October|108.7|191.2|229
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87
    December|83|166.58|285
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604

As many miles this year as in the previous two combined. I don't think I'll be able to repeat the trick next year but should make it into the low 3000s

Hi Ray

I'm only just catching up on your log now. I'm impressed by your ramp up in mileage and consistency in 2012. Can you give us some indication as to how it felt. Specifically how did your legs cope with such a significant increase in mileage. Did they ache much, were they sore more often than not? That type of thing.
    Also was there anything that you did that you believed helped you stay injury free - core work, consistent recovery runs etc.?

Thanks

I've never really had any running injuries, but I do seem to have some weakness in my right hip/groin that's brought out when I push things too much. Nothing serious, but enough to force me to slow down some weeks. And at times over the last year I have been very tired, going to bed at 9.30 or 10 (I get up around 6.30 most days)
    I only started the core work a couple of months ago, and I'm very bad at stretching. But when I started running 7 days a week at the beginning of last year one of those runs was always a recovery run, and I would only do one hard training session a week (plus sometimes a race at the weekend) and the rest of the week was easy running. I added the extra runs slowly over the year, and only started a regular second session a few months ago. My schedule at the moment is
    Session - Tuesday evening, Saturday morning
    Long run - Sunday morning
    Recovery pace - Tuesday morning, Thursday morning, Saturday evening,
    Easy pace - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evening, Friday
    In theory, the recovery and easy pace runs are self-correcting, they'll slow down when I'm tired. Doesn't work if I'm watching my pace on the easy runs though:rolleyes:
    Mainly, I've been lucky :)

Monday
    Easy run home from work (but see post about being stupid :o)
    12.25 in 57.10 (4.40 pace)
    and 20 minutes core

Tuesday
    Recovery run into work in the morning, and club session in the evening. Warmup, 6x800, and cooldown, but cooldown was cut short because I had to drop the kid home and rush back for a coaching meeting. Reps were 2.49, 2.51, 2.52, 2.49, 2.52, 2.51, I think my most consistent so far. Good crowd doing them too, a couple of new guys along who'll probably join up.
    8.51 in 51.55 (6.06 pace)
    8.44 in 43.32 (5.10 pace)

Wed
    14.84 in 70.09 (4.44) loop around UCD and home from work. Set the watch to show elapsed time and time of day and ran by feel. Pace is all over the place :pac: but some of that will be traffic lights and hills
    and 20 minutes core

Nice session on Tuesday Ray. Looks like we were all working hard.

Thursday
    Recovery run into work, and easy run home
    7.26 in 45.15 (6.14 pace)
    10.46 in 49.35 (4.45 pace)
    A lot of reading about running form and knee problems today. One thing that sounded very plausible was that the problem could be caused by my knee bending in on my standing leg which means there's an element of lateral rotation in the joint as I run. I've noticed that knock-kneed element before sometimes. The solution is to work more on my hip position - high, level hips won't allow my knee to drop so keep it moving in a straight line. So I've been trying to keep my hips pushed forward in my last few runs. One side-effect is that my cadence has increased a lot (and my stride length shortened, at least in the easy runs I've been doing), which is probably also a good thing.

Friday
    Easy run in to work
    8.79 in 41.18 (4.42 pace)
    20 minutes core. Doing the full 5 minute plank these days, 15 seconds in each position. Today I used a stopwatch (instead of the stopwatch on my phone) to time each position - not a good idea :pac: The damn thing wouldn't lie flat in front of me so I kept having to reach out and turn it around to read the display :rolleyes:

Saturday
    Just a short and easy run this morning, Masters XC tomorrow. Felt a bit stiff around the hips, a bit tired, but it's probably just the change in routine.
    9.81 in 45.40 (4.39 pace)

• Advertisement

Saturday pm
    short recovery run, though I'm finding it hard to run as slowly without my hips sinking back
    4.91 in 27.09 (5.32 pace)

Sunday
    Dublin Masters XC in Raheny
    5.79k in 23.13 (4.01 pace)
    What a contrast to last week! This was real cross-country running, cold, wet, and muddy. (On the plus side, it was a great day for the debut of our club tent :) )
    Picked up the numbers and met the women's team at the GAA club in Raheny, and we jogged over to the park where the rest of the team had the tent assembled by the start line. The women were off first. The start line was off to one side of the course, then they'd run on to the course and do two laps. You could tell it was a slow one from the women's race, a lot of experienced runners there working hard as they passed us.
    Men's race started in the same place (which is why it's short, we should have started another 200m off the course) and then did four laps. The start was crazy, the point where we joined the course was dotted with trees so there were a lot of sudden changes of direction to add to the usual crush. Then we turned onto a section in between football pitches and the outside hedge of the park. The ground was slanting sharply down to the hedge and was all mud, so everyone was fighting for the flat 6 inches beside the marker poles, even slaloming in between the poles. (Bushes on the left meant there was nowhere to go there, no risk of anyone cutting the course) The next section was a bit easier, a trail through some woods, but then we crossed a path straight into ankle deep mud. Back onto a decent trail section for a minute, but as soon as we turned onto the grass again our feet started sinking, and the 300m towards the finish line was another slog.
    Looking back at the Garmin (didn't check it during the race) I can't believe how slow my times are. I knew I wasn't pushing on the first lap, I was happy to let people shoot off while I picked my footing and saved energy, but still 3.55 for the first k :eek: And that was the fastest I ran, then it was 4.01, 4.04, 4.01, 4.02, and 3.57 pace for the last section :eek::eek: Just as well I didn't check my pace, I would have walked off the course :rolleyes: But I think I ran it pretty well - I was passing people steadily from the end of the first lap, maybe earlier. One guy from Rathfarnham passed me some time in lap 3?, and there was a guy from Tallaght I was battling with for most of the race - I stumbled in the mud about halfway through the last lap when I was closing in on him. If I'd caught him then...? As it was, when we turned into the mud and towards the finish line, he was a couple of seconds ahead, along with the Rathfarnham guy, too much ground to make up in those conditions, and there was no-one close behind me.

This week - 93.21 km (average pace 5.04)
    This year - 188.98 km

results are up. Think they have my time wrong but anyway, 50th (of 125), 14th M40 (of 28), and second finisher for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's super running Ray.
    I just checked the results and that Tallaght Guy just ahead of you is a serious mover. Lots of Sub 3 marathoners that I know well behind you too. You'll bring serious speed into the road in the spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's super running Ray.
    I just checked the results and that Tallaght Guy just ahead of you is a serious mover. Lots of Sub 3 marathoners that I know well behind you too. You'll bring serious speed into the road in the spring...

+1

Good running Ray, absolutely horrible day for it, don't envy anyone who had to run cross country today.

Well done again Ray, super performance yesterday (again).

Monday
    Easy run home from work
    12.3 in 59.34 (4.51 pace)
    and 20 minutes core

Tuesday
    Recovery run into work in the morning, and club session in the evening, but the coach sent me out to do an easy run instead. Raced last week, Sunday, racing tomorrow, and again in Raheny - I need a bit of recovery.
    8.8 in 50.42 (5.46 pace)
    10.21 in 50.02 (4.54 pace)

Wed
    14.6 in 70.01 (4.48) loop around UCD and home from work.
    and 20 minutes core

Thursday
    Recovery run into work and easy run home carrying a bag
    8.65 in 51.35 (5.58 pace)
    8.83 in 45.41 (5.11 pace)

Friday
    Day off today, so up early for a run before breakfast and the school run. Feckin freezing out there
    7.46 in 35.47 (4.48 pace)

BHAA Eircom XC
    8.11km in 31.24 (3.53 pace)
    Couldn't coach at the track this morning because of the race. As luck would have it, that meant I was in a car driving kid 2 to a party when it was snowing and it was the track fairies ;) that got the worst of the weather. When I got to Cherryfield it was a beautiful sunny... ok, maybe not, but it wasn't raining or snowing, and the wind had eased off, so not so bad really. The course was really muddy though, about as bad as I've ever seen that park. Got there in time to see the end of the women's race, and it was great to see some of the club runners who'd never run XC before coming out, and some that only started this season running really well.
    The crowd seemed to be smaller this week than in Tymon, and maybe I started faster, so after about a km the race had started to thin out. Knowing the park was a bit of an advantage, I knew where the stony patchs and dips where, but the local knowledge didn't help with the tight turns through the mud. At the first such turn I nearly went over, and a clubmate had to hurdle two guys who went down - on the third lap the markers had to be moved to force people wider on that corner, onto fresh grass.
    After last week I decided I had to push a bit harder in this race, and the first few k were fast(ish) - 3.46 for all three, bringing me to the end of the first lap. Second lap I seem to have eased off a bit, starting to get a bit tired along with the people around me - 3.51, 3.57, 4.00. I looked at the watch about halfway through that 5th k and started to push a bit harder. The timing was bad though - about 100m before a hairpin left. I took it too hard, left leg went out from under me and I slid down to the ground. Most of the spectators were at this corner so what choice did I have but to bounce back up and keep running? (Apparently another 4 or 5 fell at the same corner)
    Last lap was a bit of a slog, not a lot of runners around so fewer to chase or be chased by, and the course seriously boggy or slippy almost everywhere but I did manage to pick it up a bit, 3.59 and 3.58 for 7 and 8. I thought I was safe from chasers but some lad put a good sprint in for the last few hundred and we were pushing each other down the final straight, but the lanky fecker beat me :pac:

(36th overall (someone called me in the top 30 on lap 2 and I didn't change position by more than 1/2 either way :( ), 4th M40, about 20 seconds behind 3rd, and the timing mat thinks I beat the fast finisher, but I didn't)

13.45 in 65.16 (4.51 pace)
    Hangover, time pressure, and the decision to take it easy this week meant this was just a short one. Usual run up to Tymon and around the fields, but so short it barely feels like I ran at all ;)

Total for the week - 95.4k, just under 8 hours, 5.00 pace

The timing was bad though - about 100m before a hairpin left. I took it too hard, left leg went out from under me and I slid down to the ground. Most of the spectators were at this corner so what choice did I have but to bounce back up and keep running? (Apparently another 4 or 5 fell at the same corner)

That was some spectacular bounce-up Ray!! Actually it was horrible watching the slipping and falling there. Super running by you. You're hot on Liam's heels!

3 races so far this month and I'm feeling a bit tired and burnt out (but my knees have been a bit better:confused:), so this is an easy week. I'll take it easy next Monday and Tuesday too before getting back into the grind.

Monday
    Easy run home from work, along the standard short route too instead of taking diversions to make it an hour run
    8.77 in 43.20 (4.56 pace)
    and 20 minutes core

Tuesday
    Recovery run into work in the morning, and club session in the evening, but I just jogged around with someone returning from injury to keep her company
    8.74 in 51.13 (5.52 pace)
    8.58 in 47.31 (5.33 pace)

Wed
    had to rush home from work because we had some people coming over for dinner. Never got comfortable on this run, don't like the route (narrow uneven paths through Rathgar and Terenure) and didn't like the pace
    7.34 in 34.00 (4.38)

Thursday
    Recovery run into work and easy run home
    7.28 in 42.30 (5.50 pace)
    8.85 in 43.25 (4.54 pace)

Friday
    and yet another easy run into work
    8.78 in 43.01 (4.54 pace)
    and 20 minutes core

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

3 races so far this month and I'm feeling a bit tired and burnt out (but my knees have been a bit better:confused:), so this is an easy week. I'll take it easy next Monday and Tuesday too before getting back into the grind.

Keep and eye on that Ray, very early in the season to be feeling burnt out. I'm sure your coach will advise you much better than I will but could be worth cutting the mileage well back for a week. Good luck in Raheny, sub 30 will be no problem if the weather plays ball.

Advertisement