Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

21 - I must have been one of the first people booking places in the race series.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RayCun wrote: »
    21 - I must have been one of the first people booking places in the race series.

Ha, thought that was you alright, and yes i thought the same, "how eager was he". Pg17 Racepix http://www.racepix.com/racelisting.aspx?idRace=353&name=Adidas-Race-Series

Good shots, mine you can just about see my tiny head and that's it:(

Yeah, a nice little run of pictures. Did you see the photos on the marathon site? Can't search by number, but they have a lot of photos of the finish line, arranged by time...

Yeah, a nice little run of pictures. Did you see the photos on the marathon site? Can't search by number, but they have a lot of photos of the finish line, arranged by time...

Yep, had a look but i'm in none of those. Hopefully marathonpix got a few too...

5.4 miles in 44 minutes

Still completely incapable of pacing myself without the Garmin. Ran home at lunchtime today and my, er, digestion obviously wasn't used to it. Stopped me fading too much in the last couple of miles anyway!

Total this week: 13.4 miles

• Advertisement

5.1 slow and easy miles in 51 minutes

I was tired, it was dark, the ground was soaking after the rain so I had to stay off the grass in some places, and running laps of the park is always soul-destroying because I never feel like I'm making progress until I get out and start the road home... I'm glad that run is over.

Thne I missed the bus so walked the 4.5 miles in, and after work I'll be walking another 4/5 miles in to James' to give blood platelets. Will reward myself with a pint and a movie (Winter's Bone) afterwards...

Total this week: 18.5 miles

15 miles (or maybe a bit more) in 2 hours 33 minutes

Relaxed run up to the park, met the lads (Chinguetti, xebec, the Wexican, LadGaGa and a couple more) for a couple of laps and then back home. Calf was a bit tight at one stage, and was feeling kind of meh by the end, but an easy enough run.

Total this week: 33.5 miles

5k in 22.40

My legs were feeling pretty stiff and sore as I jogged up to the registration, and I was meeting a guy from work doing his first race (he finished in about 23.40, pretty good for a first-timer), so I wasn't really watching the crowds around me and ended up about 2/3 of the way back. Spent the first k dodging around people, but it's my own fault really.

The good thing about starting at the back, of course, is that you get to pass everyone out. I wasn't quite Sonya O'Sullivan but I did pass 100/200? people on my way around, with no-one passing me. And the downside to that is that I never really pushed the pace. I should really have gone under 22, but I was too comfortable from start to finish. Some real speed training is called for after the marathon.

Total this week: 36.6 miles

5.1 ? miles in 54 minutes

getting very tired of these early morning runs.
    Calves were tight this morning, a bit sore, so not a fun run at all. First run in a new pair of runners (dropped out to Amphibian King Sunday afternoon, got another pair of Mizunos, these will be my marathon shoes) so that may not have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

5k in 22.40

Was just catching up on some of the logs, thats a savage improvement on jingle bells time from last year as per your first post.

• Advertisement

sub 15 next year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

sub 15 next year :cool:
    No pressure now

8.34 miles in 1.13.58.72 minutes (8.52 pace)

Much easier to pace myself today, didn't go out too fast, didn't drop off too much, felt very steady all the way.
    There is some persistent tension in my left calf, a little knot that isn't fading away. It doesn't bother me too much while I run, but I can feel it all the time. Time to make an appointment with the physio - it might clear up itself during the taper but there's no point risking it.

Total this week: 13.44 miles

5.27 miles in 53.44 minutes

Fell out of bed, crawled around the park, and missed my bus again :rolleyes:

Total this week: 18.71 miles

8.34 miles in 1.13.58.72 minutes (8.52 pace)

Much easier to pace myself today, didn't go out too fast, didn't drop off too much, felt very steady all the way.
    There is some persistent tension in my left calf, a little knot that isn't fading away. It doesn't bother me too much while I run, but I can feel it all the time. Time to make an appointment with the physio - it might clear up itself during the taper but there's no point risking it.

Total this week: 13.44 miles

Yep, if i've learned anything just go get it checked NOW, even a good rub into it will be sore but by the sounds of it will just loosen it out for you and then it will be gone for good. Not nice running with that letting you know it's there.

Take your time with the new runners too, try walk in them as much as possible. That's what i should have done for at least 3 weeks. Heinsight. Your doing fantastically, keep it up!

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|

Peaking nicely...

20.32 miles in 3.19.49 minutes (average pace 9.49)

Last long run of the programme! A nice one as well, up to the park, ran with the gang for about a dozen miles, and home again. The last few miles after leaving them were tough enough, it seemed like I was running uphill and/or into the wind all the way, but my pace stayed around 9.30 for all of it.

Total this week: 39.03 miles

5.18 miles in 50.33 minutes

Legs a little tight this morning, just above the ankles. May be down to the new runners I'm breaking in. Anyway, 4 very slow miles up to and around the park, followed by one faster mile home.

5.62 miles in 49.28 minutes (8.47 pace)

Legs still a bit tired and sore, but no trouble keeping to marathon pace. I suppose this is the first shorter run of the taper so the legs don't know its supposed to be easier...

Incidentally, since I got the Garmin back last week I've been a convert to the Way of the Clown. The constant fluctuations in 'current pace' on last week's run were just annoying me, so I scrolled down to 'average pace' (didn't have AutoLap on yet), and that evening I switched over to display 'lap pace' on the default view. Next I get a pair of sunglasses and I'll be all set for the sub-3 attempt...

Total this week: 10.8 miles

5.23 miles in 51.02 minutes

last of the early morning five mile runs, I won't miss them.
    Still have two early morning four mile runs next week, and probably a few two and three mile runs the following week, but every mile shorter is an extra ten minutes in bed...

Total this week: 16.03 miles

• Advertisement

14.21 miles in 2.14.19 minutes

Up and out early for the last 10+ run before the marathon. Just up to Tymon Park and wandering around for a while - legs felt pretty tired and achy for the first half but better towards the end. Ran around 9.3x for the first 12 miles, then picked it up a little to finish with 8.3x in the last two and a bit.
    It's funny how these really are 'just' 14 mile runs now.

Total this week: 30.24 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Somebody at work asked me this morning what I ran at the weekend. My reply 'oh, just 14'. :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Yep I did 'just 12' yesterday but whether or not you can easily do the distance it's still a fair oul trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

every mile shorter is an extra ten minutes in bed...

Run them slower then you get to spend even longer in bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

14.21 miles in 2.14.19 minutes

Up and out early for the last 10+ run before the marathon. Just up to Tymon Park and wandering around for a while - legs felt pretty tired and achy for the first half but better towards the end. Ran around 9.3x for the first 12 miles, then picked it up a little to finish with 8.3x in the last two and a bit.

Total this week: 30.24 miles

Nice Taper Miles Ray, I see we are skiping over each other again in the 1000...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Nice Taper Miles Ray, I see we are skiping over each other again in the 1000...

Hell no, you're opening up a real lead! last time I challenge anyone... I'll have to go out for a quick 5 miles on the 26th just to stay in touch...:rolleyes:

4.5 miles (with a trip to the physio in the middle)

Finally got around to going to a physio. Her place was about halfway between work and home so I ran there and from there home - the second part of the journey was easier, which is probably a good sign.

It was an easy enough session (or I'm nails and you're all wusses :cool: ), no major problems that needed fixing, just a tune-up. My legs were very tight though, especially the left, and my quads were tight, and my hamstrings, and the inside of my left thigh and the outside of my right, and my left arch is lower than my right... so there was work to be done. My legs felt much looser afterwards, and are pleasantly tired now. Much do this more often.

4.2 miles in 42.10 minutes

another early morning offering to the marathon gods...

My legs are still feeling weak after the massage, they were very tight going in and now they're loose and floppy :rolleyes:

Total this week: 8.7 miles

4.43 miles in 39.29 minutes (8.55 pace)

another weird post-massage run. My legs still feel kind of weak, and the one recurring niggle in my calf has been replaced by lots of twitches and passing aches. It's like my legs are still rebuilding themselves after the massage. If it was a week later I'd be worried, but I figure they'll sort themselves out.

Total this week: 13.13 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

4.43 miles in 39.29 minutes (8.55 pace)

another weird post-massage run. My legs still feel kind of weak, and the one recurring niggle in my calf has been replaced by lots of twitches and passing aches. It's like my legs are still rebuilding themselves after the massage. If it was a week later I'd be worried, but I figure they'll sort themselves out.

Total this week: 13.13 miles

I was the same tonight, and the last time I had IT Band stripping the swelling took days to go away fully, By Sunday you'll be able to run through brick walls.

Advertisement