Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

6.43 miles in 57.51 (8.59 pace)

Tiring run home. Calves and shins were a bit sore, but mainly they were tired. Glad to see I stayed at target pace in every mile, because some of them felt hard. Roll on Saturday's 14 mile LSR :eek:

Total this week: 9.54 miles

3.02 miles in 29.36 (9.47 pace)

Yesterday's run, and evening showing of Inception (go see it) made for a tired run this morning. Shoes felt flat again, think they have gone :(

Total this week: 12.56 miles

14.01 miles in 2.22.18 (10.09 pace)

Was a bit worried about this run, I've been tired all week, but it went well enough. Up to the park, all the way around the edge, brief stop in the shop on the south circular for a bottle of water and a gel, then continuing on around the edge and back home. Don't think I've ever been in that garden in the south east corner before.

Will have to get better at opening the gels, I was struggling with that packet for a good minute before I got it open. Will also have to experiment with different ways of carrying them - my shorts pocket will hold one but no more, and I'll probably use three or four in the marathon.

So that was my longest run, and I think my highest weekly mileage, but this week is another step up, with my midweek runs going from 3-6-3 to 4-7-4, and 16 miles for the LSR.

Total this week: 26.57 miles

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bite the top off gels :) A small holder that straps to your arm, usually for a phone or ipod, will hold at least 3 gels. :) Good run, btw.

4.1 miles in 39.19 (9.34 pace)

Early morning runs up to 4 miles from this week

• Advertisement

7.01 miles in 1.01.54 (8.48 pace)

First seven mile pace run, went well enough, just one mile over 9 minute/mile pace.

Total this week: 11.11 miles

4.03 miles in 39.05 (9.42 pace)

Up to the park and around on the grass. Didn't watch my pace at all, and the first few miles were slower than usual.

Total this week: 15.14 miles

17.5 miles in 2.52.11 (9.47pace)

This was supposed to be a 16 mile run, and was on track for most of the way - up to the Park, round the edge, little loop near ParkGate street, and a stop into the shop for water. Ran back up behind the zoo but somehow managed to miss the turn for the Phoenix monument :confused: so ended up back at the other end of the park and too far from home. Felt good though, the bottle of water and gel had really perked me up. Coming down the Kyber road I let myself get faster and - since I got in trouble last time I was late home :D - tried to keep that speed up the rest of the way home. Splits for the first 13 miles were all 9.30- 10 mins/mile (except for the 11 at the shop), but the next few miles were 9.20, 9.01, 9.17, 9.18.

So I'm very happy with that run - I didn't just survive the planned 16 slow miles, I went longer and faster than planned, and felt fine at the end. Roll on October...

Total this week: 32.64 miles

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|

4.1 miles in 37.01 (9.00 pace)

Schedule is off this week because I'm going to Lansdowne Road on Wednesday evening, so got my first short run in today. Didn't look at pace all the way around, and in the last mile I knew I was running faster than my usual recovery speed, but when I got home I was surprised to see that every mile was under 9.10.

Knees were a bit stiff this morning, but the run has loosened them up.

7.21 miles in 1.02.37 (8.41 pace)

Relaxed run home. Pace was comfortably below 8.40 most of the way, except for a couple of the middle miles that had traffic and hills to contend with. This is a day earlier in the week than usual, so I'm happy there were no ill-effects from the weekend.

Total this week: 11.31 miles

• Advertisement

4.11 miles in 38.16 (9.18 pace)

Really had to drag myself out of bed this morning, but the run itself was fine. Runners soaked now from the wet grass.

Total this week: 15.42 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I know how you feel! Some mornings are much easier than others, aren't they? Enjoy the match tonight.:)

18 tough miles in 2.56.09 (9.46 pace)

For some reason this run was much harder than last week's. I just didn't have the energy in my legs. Had planned to stop for water and a gel around 12/13 miles but brought it forward to about 11 miles instead. Definitely helped, but didn't get as much of a boost as I did last week, possibly because there was no caffeine in this week's. Hips got sore, feet got sore, legs got tired, and I really struggled with the last few miles... but I did make it to 18.

Total this week: 33.4 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    18 tough miles in 2.56.09 (9.46 pace)

For some reason this run was much harder than last week's. I just didn't have the energy in my legs. Had planned to stop for water and a gel around 12/13 miles but brought it forward to about 11 miles instead. Definitely helped, but didn't get as much of a boost as I did last week, possibly because there was no caffeine in this week's. Hips got sore, feet got sore, legs got tired, and I really struggled with the last few miles... but I did make it to 18.

Total this week: 33.4 miles

Ahh....Didn't know this thread was yours!! You're doing very well !! I was due to do my 14 mile LSR today but somehow thought I was up to doing it yesterday afternoon having had no brekkie, playing golf in Tulfarris and no lunch...headed off with water and 2 x gels towards Harold's x...Was holding onto the second gel and felt very good until I hit 10.5 miles and within about 500 yards I fell apart....took a short cut and only ended up doing 12.3 was absolutely shattered and had bad stomach cramps after.... pist off that I didn't do the 14 miles (as I should have been well up to it) but getting more positive about forcing myself to do the last couple of miles....At 43 I will not under-estimate the need to prepare from now til October !!

4.11 miles in 38.41 (9.25 pace)

Usual morning run. I don't look at the watch until I get home on these runs, but they usually work out like today - around 9.30 for the first miles and 9 for the mile home.

8.42 miles in 1.13.05 (8.40 pace)

Will I ever learn to plan my runs in advance? It seems unlikely.

I work in Clonskeagh, and my usual pace run home is back from work. Last week this run went up to 7 miles, so I ran part of the marathon route (the mile 20 hill) and back before starting my run. A couple of days ago I realised I had missed some of the hill (I turned back at the fork in the road) so this week I decided to run up the rest of the way, thinking it was only a bit further on. Actually, it was about half a mile, so a mile more onto my run, which means my planned 7 mile pace run ended up over 8 miles.

It all went well anyway, felt fine at the end, could have gone for another mile or so without trouble. But one of these days I'm going to end up miles from home and in a bad way...

Total this week: 12.53 miles

4.12 miles in 40.03 (9.42 pace)

Legs were not happy this morning - not sore, just tired and stiff and wondering what the hell I was playing at. Felt like I was working harder than usual for these morning runs, but pace was slower all the way around.

Total this week: 16.65 miles

12.5 miles in something under 2 hours

(Laptop is falling apart, the USB ports have been giving trouble. Garmin is plugged in and charging, but can't be detected. Will have to try later for details)

Stepback week this week, just 12 miles on the plan. Up to the park, met mrslow, chinguetti and the mexican for a few miles, and then sloped off home while they did the rest of the half marathon route. Supposed to be easy 10 minute/mile pace, but I think we were chugging along at 9 - it's hard to keep the pace slow in a group.

Between hurrying to get there in time, and keeping the pace up on the way home, I think most of today's run was at PMP, but I feel fine now. Which is nice.

Total this week: 29.18

Yay, fixed the USBs.

12.53 miles in 1.57.43 (9.23 pace)

A couple of those minutes were standing around at Knockmaroon gate. The miles before that were about 9.30 pace, the miles after were about 8.50!

That is not much faster than my planned half-marathon pace (I'll be following the 1.50 pacers) and it was pretty comfortable.

4.11 miles in 39.45 (9.39 pace)

Middle toe on my left foot felt a bit stiff around the halfway mark, will keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement

8 miles in 1.10.50 (8.51 pace)

Running Mon/Tues/Wed this week to get an extra recovery day for the race on Saturday. Which means one less recovery day after the weekend, which means more tired today. Managed to keep to PMP though, and finish with an 8 minute mile (and a sprint at the end :D)
    Looking forward to Saturday now...

Total this week: 12.11 miles

4.11 miles in 40.36 (9.53 pace)

Tired today, and pace was down, but now I have a couple of days to rest before the weekend

Total this week: 16.22 miles

1.20.55 :D

I was getting worried before this race because my legs seemed to be falling apart - lots of niggly aches and pains, and as I was jogging up to the start line my legs felt very tight. Didn't have any trouble at all though once the race started, so I must remember this for the next time I get pre-race nerves.

I decided to start at the front of the second wave this time. I was near the back of the first wave at the 5 mile and it was just mental, so I figured the front of the next wave would give me space to run into, and I wouldn't be getting in anyone's way. (There was some confusion about the waves - all the race material said wave two was for 85+, but the placards were from last year and had 70+, 80+ etc)

They let a big gap open up between the waves, back of the first wave was up around the phoenix monument, maybe further, by the time we were let go. It was great at the front of the wave - though I wasn't at the front for long, even at about 7.00 pace for the first 1/4 mile, slowing down to 7.34 overall for that mile, plenty of people were passing me. I think I saw most of them again...

First couple of miles were easy anyway. Not too crowded, nice wide roads, I was mainly concentrating on keeping at a reasonable pace - 7.52 for the second mile. Saw my first casualty just after mile 2, some young guy running in full-length running tights and a rain jacket :eek:, the sweat was dripping off him and he'd slowed to a walk. Told him to take the jacket off and ran on.

Mile 3 was 8.01, still a little faster than planned, but feeling comfortable. Got to the first water station and didn't even try drinking most of it, just poured it over my head. The road started getting busier from this point, we were obviously catching up with the back of the first wave. Great to be passing people out consistently - on the other hand, it means you have to swerve around people, muttering under your breath about people running four abreast, right beside a different group of people also running four abreast :rolleyes: Got to mile four in 8.12, which is about the pace I'd planned to run from the start.

Fifth mile was back by the start line, and then down Acres (?) road as if we were going down the Kyber, before we turned left again. The mile marker was just on the corner, 8.05 for that mile, which meant I was a few seconds faster in those five than I'd been in the Sportsworld 5 mile back in May. I wasn't trying to keep my pace low any more, I was trying to stop myself from slowing down, but mile 6 was easy enough. The boost from being ahead of target, and the fact that it was flat or downhill meant I had a time of 7.59.

Mile 7 though... I felt good as we started running up the hill, easing past the other runners, but it just went on too long. By the top my breathing was heavy, and I was really feeling the miles. All the rest of that mile was slow - 8.15 - and the next one - 8.18 - and the next - 8.28. The hill just knocked the easy running out of me, and I couldn't recover. Everyone else was feeling it too, which just made it too easy to slow down - when you're still moving up through the field it's easy to assume you're doing okay, but it's just everyone slowing down together.

Getting past the hills though, I had to pull it together. No excuses at this point, either I ran or I didn't. It was time to start picking people off and push the pace. So the last mile is kind of a blur - pass these people out, pass those people out, she's pushing a buggy! have to pass her out! and refusing to let myself ease up on the pace. Didn't have a flashy sprint finish, but I was under 8 for all that last mile, 7.47 in the end, my second fastest mile :D.

Not disappointed at all over missing the 80, I really didn't expect to do better than 81-83 on this, and I know it's there for my next race. The main thing is I'm still on target for the 1.50 half, and the sub-4 marathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Well done hubby, great work. I am green!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well done on a great race. We were seconds apart so you musta seen me, in a yellow wexford singlet? Say hi on the half, eh?? :D

I'm slowly getting to meet more boardsies at races, put some more faces to names, so maybe!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done, that's some great running out of you :)

What's the target for the half now?

Sticking with the plan for the half - go out with the 1.50 pace group, and if I'm feeling good after the Furry Glen pick up the pace to the finish. Same as the marathon plan, basically, with the Fosters Avenue downhill being my 'stay or go' decision point there.

Was running late this morning, held up by the roadworks in Chapelizod, so I didn't get to go down to the finish line to try to find you and menoscemo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I just got in trouble for ignoring my pregnant sister-in-law while she was telling a (very interesting I'm sure!) story because I was engrossed in your report. Oops. It was worth it anyway! Haha. Well done today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great running Ray, fantastic progress. Next time come for a few beers with us after the half?

Advertisement