Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry - can't do it, have to get home to dotcomdolly and the sprogs. I'll hang on to see you and the 2.00 pace group come in though, and I'll definitely be going for pints after the marathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

A great run there RayCun, you must be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Ray, great report on the race too. I'm very lazy in my reporting! No doubt D was very proud of you (and probably a little bit jealous too, I sure as hell would have been)

5.31 miles in 49.39 (9.21 pace)

The 'short' runs are up to 5 miles this week. Didn't feel like getting up even earlier, and its about 5 miles home from work, so that's what I did. Felt tired all the way, but no real aches or pains, and the pace turned out to be fairly fast - even managed a sprint across the road to catch the traffic lights near the end.

5.31 miles in 47.08 (8.52 pace)

Weird run. Still feeling tired and sore-legged from the weekend, so I decided to make today a recovery run - dropping the planned 8 mile pace run and tomorrow's recovery run. I don't want to jeopardise Saturday's LSR. But looking at the run, I see that I was running at marathon pace every mile, and running much faster - around 7-7.30 - in some sections. It did feel like quite hard work in fairness, but my legs didn't want to slow down.

Total this week: 10.62 miles

• Advertisement

20.01 miles in 3.20.28 (10.01 pace)

This was a couple of days ago so I'm already forgetting the gory details...

Set off early up to Phoenix Park, not feeling particularly energetic but not bad either. Ran up the Kyber for the practice, then up to the Castleknock gate and along behind the zoo. I knew mrslow's group would be around there sometime so I did a second loop.Sure enough, about 10 miles into my run a dust cloud in the distance gradually resolved itself into a thundering horde of boardsies. (I won't attempt to name you all, but it was great to put faces to names)
    Doubled back on my run (at about 9.30 pace now :)), back along Chesterfield to the zoo entrance. I split of from the group briefly there to get water in the shop on the North Circular, then came back along Wellington to drop down into the War Memorial gardens to catch up with everyone again for a run along the river. Waved goodbye when we reached Chapelizod as the group went back to the park and I turned left and uphill towards home.
    At that point I was feeling good, but the hill and the distance and running on my own again soon took it out of me. I got slower and slower over the next couple of miles and the last three were just exhausting. I was crawling around at about 10.30 pace, my legs were tired, muscles were tight and getting sore. There wasn't any abrupt sensation of hitting a wall, but I was really down to the dregs at that point. The last mile was running loops right beside the house, and I was very glad to hear the beep for mile 20.
    Then a five minute shower, quick bite to eat, four hour drive to Clare, and a nap on the hotel bed.

Total this week: 30.63 miles

5 miles in 48 something

Was dark when I got up this morning :(
    Okay, I was up earlier than usual to do 5 miles before work, and I think it was bright by the time I got out the door, but still...
    5 miles recovery run. Left hip and foot sole are still a bit iffy, and legs were still tired, but fine really. Decided to do a proper loop this morning, because of the extra mile, up to Bushy Park and back, but I think I'll go back to loops of the local park next time. Yes, it's boring, but I can run on grass the whole way around which is nice for these runs.

Forgot it was the end of the month...

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4

Should be over 130 for September, and then lower in October with the taper

8.3 miles in 72 minutes

Fecking USB ports on the blink again so I can't upload the Garmin data.
    Anyway, pace run home from work, probably faster than planned most of the way, but not a lot. Bit of a twinge in my left hip again, nothing serious but will book a physio for next Monday or Tuesday - after the next long run she'll have something to work with!

Total this week: 13.3 miles

5? miles in something?

garmin wouldn't switch on this morning! I have no idea how far I ran! Did I actually run at all? I don't know any more... I've lit a candle to Krusty

(It was quite dark too - running up to the park and doing a few laps before I go to work is not going to be viable in December)

Total this week: 18.3 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

RayCun wrote: »
    5? miles in something?

garmin wouldn't switch on this morning! I have no idea how far I ran! Did I actually run at all? I don't know any more...

I know I've asked myself that question before when the battery died on my Garmin! Yet more reliance on technology...

20? miles in 3.22 23.9 miles? surely not

Garmin still on the blink, so I went by time - 20 x 10 minute miles takes 3.20, and that's how long I was out last Saturday, so that was my plan. It worked out well, I got back from my run in 3.22.

I'll work out the distance more exactly in mapmyrun later - I think if anything I went further today. The last few miles were hard, but not as hard as last week - last week I knew I'd have to wander around a bit to get to the 20 and this time I was running straight home, which I think was easier. The last few miles last week were very slow, but I think this week they were at PMP? Not sure, but they felt fast.

This week I went back to the powerbar gels, which seemed to give me more of a boost than the isogels, so I'll stick with them

Total this week: 38.3 miles

Think I'll call it 21.7 miles, just so I can say
    Total this week: 40 miles
    :D

5.something miles in 50.34

Garmin going back for repair today, so for the next couple of weeks it's back to stopwatch and estimates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This week I went back to the powerbar gels, which seemed to give me more of a boost than the isogels, so I'll stick with them

I wasnt imagining it then! I've always used powerbar gels before and a few weeks ago I tried the luozade ones and didn't feel any particular oomph so on Saturday I tried the HI5 isotonic ones with caffeine and again didn't particularly notice any effect so I'm back on the powerbar again from now on too.

8.3 miles in 72.54 minutes

The pace runs are where I really miss the Garmin - pretty sure I went out too fast, but I don't know if I dropped below pace at any point (I was stopped for about a minute at traffic lights)

Felt pretty tired today, leg a bit iffy. Glad it's a short run (only 14) this weekend.

5? miles in something?

another dark, tired morning

2.25 minutes - call it 14 miles

Decided to take it easy today, just head up to Tymon. There's one little hill there that I ran up 4/5 times, but otherwise it's very flat. No Garmin, but there are a few kms marked up there that I was going through in a little under 6 minutes, so I was probably close to my planned 10 min/mile pace. I stopped off for some water and a lucozade gel, mainly to see what the gel was like - too thick for me.

Legs were pretty tired, and my left hip is particularly feeling it. I should get that looked at some time, possibly after next week's race, but the taper might take care of it.

Total this week: 32.3 miles

5.something miles in 49.12

Was listening to Marathon Talk on the way around an they were talking about interval sessions, so I threw a few sets of strides into the last mile - haven't done that in ages.

8.3? miles in 70.15 (too fast pace)

These are the runs where I really miss the Garmin - I knew I was going too fast, but it was hard to judge the correct pace in the wind and I preferred to be too fast rather than too slow. In the end I think I was closer to 8.30 pace than 9. Feel okay on it anyway, no aches or pains, and I've plenty of time to recover before the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

These are the runs where I really miss the Garmin -

I know what you mean. I couldn't find mine today, had to go out with an analog watch and try to keep time, but no idea of the pace. Bloody technology. Cant even run now without some satellites in the sky telling me what speed I'm doing. :rolleyes:

5? miles in 48.45

windy out there today, hope it calms down before saturday

13.1 in 1.48.34

Nice day for a race - cloudy and overcast without being really cold, some small showers to cool us down but nothing too heavy.
    Was dropped off at one of the gates near Chapelizod nice and early, I really like walking up to the start like that, the park still quiet and almost empty, until you get to where the finish area is being set up. Hung around for a while meeting people - mums from my son's school, my uncle's partner, and then all the boardsies, mrslow first and then a bunch more I won't even try to list.
    The bad thing about wave 2 is it's right beside the fit club stage, so I dropped back to say hi to the 2.00 crowd before meeting up with the 1.50 guys.
    Didn't get to stay with them for long though, once we started I was crowded out and when I looked up after a few minutes the balloons were a good bit ahead - I was about 30 seconds off pace for this mile. A bit annoying but only to be expected I suppose. I didn't try catching them up immediately, I was happy enough to gain about 10 seconds a mile. Again though, the slower runners were annoying. I think I was spoiled by starting at the beginning of the wave in the 10, there was more room all the way around. For most of today's race, the only way to pass people out was to accelerate into gaps, there was no room for gentle overtaking.
    Calves were a little sore in the first mile, but then I eased into steady problem-free running and the miles just slid by. I was still a little off the pacers, and a little behind according to my pace band, but comfortable enough and making up the ground steadily.
    The paths on Chesterfield were another problem area, again, there wasn't really the room for gentle overtaking and I think everyone around me was slowed down by about the same amount. There was probably a bulge in the crowd behind the pacers anyway.
    Once we got back out onto Wellington Road, and then the Kyber, there was more room and I was able to start moving through the crowd again. Passed the pacers as we doubled back towards Military Road and started opening up a gap on the right side of the pacers. Legs were getting tired now, I was starting to work harder, but I was happier with the space all through the s-bends and on.
    Coming out of the glen was tough, and I passed quite a few people who'd stopped to walk, but I didn't realise how much I'd slowed down (I was still passing people) until just before the 12 mile marker when the 1.50 pacers caught up with me again! :eek: Time to step on the gas.
    I did shoot on ahead, probably under 8 for the last mile, but again the paths on Chesterfield were a problem. It was hard to maintain the faster pace when there was no room for overtaking on the tarmac. Got there in the end though, fading a bit in the final stretch but still very happy to be under 1.49.

It's a confidence boost for the marathon, but also banishes any lingering thoughts of going for a faster time. I couldn't maintain that pace for another 13 miles so 3.45 is just not an option, but 9 minute miles should be do-able.

Total this week: 31.4 miles

3 ish miles in 25.44

Decided to go for a short recovery run this morning, but then my legs started at the same pace as on Saturday. Why fight it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the half RayCun, you must be delighted! Roll on this day 5 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Brilliant time for half sorry didn't get to meet up, you know what you make me want to get up every morning and run. Don't know why but when i met you you seem to have that runners buzz written all over your face:D!

Unfortunately i don't normally read anyone elses logs for some reason (maybe i use my log for me only or something and i find i'm not that exciting:p!), and this is the first time to yours - sorry, but it's funny you don't measure any distances, everything is an estimate, ha, very funny.

I'll be reading this log from now on as it pushes me...thanks and well done again!

I usually do measure distances though - but my Garmin is broken at the moment so I'm just guessing from previous runs! runners buzz, jaysus, maybe I should get that seen to! :)

5 ish miles in 48.48?

in the dark, in the park

Total this week: 8 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

What number were you for Half?

Advertisement