Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No, it was the Dublin Uneven Age U9-U19 cross country Championships, an all-club event, so minimum age was 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I saw you a few times but I was being dragged all over the place. Your young lad must have had a good race, you'd a big beaming smile going on. Great day.

The OH saw you from a distance too. It's just great to see them running - working really hard but enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

RayCun wrote: »
    13.49 in 74.13 (5.30 pace)

Another easy run, better paced this time. Just up and once around Tymon Park.

Then off up to thirstywork2 in Amphibian King/B2R for a pair of these...
    sauco312304_213299_jb1.jpg
    spikes!

Im expecting big things now in your first pair of spikes ;)

9MM perfect for Phoenix aprk but if gets muddy use them 12MM.
    With most cross country spieks you loose about 2mm when screwing them in.the spike was actually names after an Irish girl that worked for Saucony in the states and was from kilkenny.

About 9.4k

Easy (?) run home - forgot the Garmin this morning and I am terrible at judging my pace :rolleyes: - and was sent straight back out to the shops so was a bit longer than usual...

kmtd:74.39

• Advertisement

8.63 in 50.25 (5.50 pace)

Recovery pace run into work. Still having a bit of trouble with the hip flexor so will continue to take it easy this week - until Sunday's XC that is :).

kmtd:83.02

Mr Slow may have beaten me to the punch this time but I might as well put up the general times/races/training plan for the coming year.

Races:
    Raheny 5 (January)
    Great Ireland Run/K Club 10k (April. Would rather do the K Club, but GIR is the 10k championship...)
    Sportsworld 5 mile classic (May)
    Dunshaughlin 10k (June)
    Donadea 10k (October)
    Will have to look around for some races in July/Aug/Sept.
    I'll also do some 5ks as they come up (MSB, Donore Summer 5k...), and I'll be joining BHAA so will do a bunch of their XC and other races.

Training
    I posted a routine a few days ago, which I'll be trying to stick to through the year. One VO2 session, one tempo session, 7 days of running (except for race weeks). Will try to keep a consistent 40 miles a week through the year, building up gradually, and resetting training paces after the major races. I'm going to use that McMillan 10k programme for Raheny - when I can fit it in anyway - might stick with that afterwards or try some different plans.

Time goals
    Sub 19, sub 30, sub 40 :rolleyes: - but really I'll be taking it race-by-race. 32.30 is the goal for Raheny, will see how it goes and base the next target off that result.

General
    One reason for dropping the longer distance races for next year - as well as the plan of getting faster, obviously - is to give me more freedom to pick interesting races as they come up instead of being tied to the "no, I have to do an 18 mile LSR this weekend" rails. I'm dropping the race series for next year, plan to volunteer at it instead (and at the marathon), and will do whatever the BHAA throws up - XC, track, whatever - and a few more of the races I had to turn down in the last couple of years. As long as they're in Dublin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have a bunch of Shorter races in mind for the new year, based on how fast they seem to have been.

The Paddy's weekend 5k and Rathfarnham 5k should be musts for you- they are both superfast. There is also the St Cocas one but I think it was the day before Dunshaughlin last year. Also the racepix one in maynooth if the wind doesn't blow it's dead flat.

As for 5 milers the BHAA one in Dunboyne (around june I think?) seems to have been the fastest one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Time goals
    Sub 19, sub 30, sub 40 :rolleyes:

Big difference between sub 30 and the other 2. Sub 30 is sub 38 essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Big difference between sub 30 and the other 2. Sub 30 is sub 38 essentially.

Yeah I was going to say that. A Sub 40 10k will just about get you a sub 32 5 miler.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it's the round number effect. I'm not going to put down sub-31 (or sub-39) as my target :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    The Paddy's weekend 5k and Rathfarnham 5k should be musts for you- they are both superfast. There is also the St Cocas one but I think it was the day before Dunshaughlin last year. Also the racepix one in maynooth if the wind doesn't blow it's dead flat.

As for 5 milers the BHAA one in Dunboyne (around june I think?) seems to have been the fastest one last year.

Dunboyne 5 mile was end of May, may be a bit tight with the Donore 5k, Sportsworld and Dunshaughlin. I might do it, but it won't be a goal race.

I'm not too worried about the flattest and fastest courses for next year. Steady improvement is more important than the times, so if I run well on a slow course, that's fine. Easy to say now

8.8k in 48.42 (5.32 pace)

Easy run home from work. Not as easy as it should have been though - I kept checking the Garmin because I thought I was going too fast, but I wasn't :o

kmtd:91.82

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

8.8k in 48.42 (5.32 pace)

Easy run home from work. Not as easy as it should have been though - I kept checking the Garmin because I thought I was going too fast, but I wasn't :o

kmtd:91.82

Apparently, as you approach 40 the ar5e just falls out of your world! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well thats 3 of us going for sub 40 in Dunshaughlin - we might as well form a support group.

sub 30 for the 5 is the toughest i think, sub 19 the easiest cause old fellas like me have done it:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well thats 3 of us going for sub 40 in Dunshaughlin - we might as well form a support group.

sub 30 for the 5 is the toughest i think, sub 19 the easiest cause old fellas like me have done it:D

Yep sub 30 will sting but this year's training was more towards speed so you'll (Ray) do that relatively easily I reckon!

Easily my arse :pac:

(Just realised today was my 9th day running in a row, and I'll be running Thurs and Fri too. I think my longest streak before now was 5 days)

Easily my arse :pac:

(Just realised today was my 9th day running in a row, and I'll be running Thurs and Fri too. I think my longest streak before now was 5 days)

Get those miles in while you can! :pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Get those miles in while you can! :pac:

If you're up to date on the 1000 mile table, I'm about 30 miles ahead of you :p

If you're up to date on the 1000 mile table, I'm about 30 miles ahead of you :p

Yes but if we both live to 100, I'll have 5 years more miles done than you, plus the year's not over yet! :P

Edit: I also got to 1,000 before you!

• Advertisement

Very annoying evening :( Stuck in work for a meeting, which meant I missed my usual bus, was waiting ages for the next one then it went by full :mad: which meant I wasn't getting home in time to get to the club session :(
    Decided to walk home, but I'd been standing around so long at the bus stop I got bored and started jogging instead. In my work clothes and coat :rolleyes:

call it 6k @ 5.45 pace

I did catch up with another runner at a traffic lights and when we crossed the road was faced with a dilemma - stay behind her (and freak her out when she realises there's a guy in his work clothes - therefore not a runner - following right behind her as she runs)? or pass her out (in work clothes, with a bag on my back)?
    I passed her out

kmtd:97.82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ray did I read correctly that you are now taking styling tips on your running attire from Off the Rails :D

Yes, I believe the 'shirt transparent with sweat' look was very big in Milan this year :cool:

I did catch up with another runner at a traffic lights and when we crossed the road was faced with a dilemma - stay behind her (and freak her out when she realises there's a guy in his work clothes - therefore not a runner - following right behind her as she runs)? or pass her out (in work clothes, with a bag on my back)?
    I passed her out

kmtd:97.82

Had to be done! You should have told her to join the club as you went past:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Yes, I believe the 'shirt transparent with sweat' look was very big in Milan this year :cool:

Your cyber stalker will be happy to hear that!

8.68k in 51.21 (5.55 pace)

Recovery pace run into work. Legs are a little tired, will be taking tomorrow off before the race anyway.

Goals for the race
    1. Not have the team come in last
    I'm on the B team for the club, this could be a tall order :) This is the first time in 30 years there's been an adult team representing the club though, so it really is good just to be there
    2. Beat someone - anyone - from a different club
    I've just had a look at the results from last year, and I should just about manage this. Depends on how much the conditions slow me down (and how much they slowed people last year)
    3. Not get lapped by my younger brother
    Anyone fancy doing a Father Neil Horan on Sunday? I think that's my only chance :o

kmtd:106.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

you will enjoy it more than you think.Something refreshing about running cross country.;)

Oh, I'm looking forward to it. But it's been a while since I've gone into a race knowing I'd be finishing last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Oh, I'm looking forward to it. But it's been a while since I've gone into a race knowing I'd be finishing last :)

We had a winter league run the other day and with the handicapping and a chest infection I almost succeeded in turning out the lights as tailender:D - great motivation to keep going!

• Advertisement

8.63k in 38.31 (4.28 pace)

Tough race. There wasn't much mud out there, and you wouldn't think the surface would make much difference, but you could see from the women's race beforehand that even a fairly dry surface was slowing them down.

Our race started and I settled in at the back as expected :) Only two or three runners behind me, and a small group ahead with a few guys from Bros Pearse, a Donore runner, and one from Tallaght. I was feeling tired right from the start, didn't feel like I had any strength in my legs at all.

It's a much lonelier run than most road races. There were only about 50 runners(?), and you're not going to get people belting off and dying after a mile in a race like this. Plus it's a pretty flat course - a longish drag over the first 600m and a short steep downhill, but no real climbs. So it was just a lot of solo plodding really, trying not to drop too far behind the group ahead, checking the position of the guy behind me at the corners. The group in front broke up on the 3rd lap, and I passed the Donore guy halfway around the 4th, but that was about the extent of my racing :o

Goals for the race
    1. Not have the team come in last
    We were down to one team on the day, and I didn't hang around for the results, so I don't know how we did. But it was great to have a group out from the club anyway, there were lots of people asking who we were.
    2. Beat someone - anyone - from a different club
    Beat 3 people (from other clubs)! Don't think it will make a difference to the scores though :pac:
    3. Not get lapped by my younger brother
    The race winner caught me just at the finish line, nobody passed me on the course :cool: (I will take these small victories where I can get them!) The brother didn't have a good race anyway...

Edited to add: Results are up! I was 62nd of 66:o
    But we beat Tallaght! In your face Woddle! :p

kmtd:115.13

Advertisement