Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Ray, If you recovered quickly , its a sure sign that the training you are doing is working ....its not always the right thing to be 'totalled ' at the end of a race ...I say fair play...good time ...keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks, good luck yourself tomorrow.

4.84 miles in 40:24 (8.21 pace)

Easy club run. The coach was off at the BHAA race so we went for an easy run around Knocklyon. After a couple of miles myself and other guy went on ahead - maybe not the best idea since neither of knew where the hell we were, but there's a limit to how lost you can get in Knocklyon. Found our way back to the park and did a couple of short laps to finish off.
    pace per mile was 9.04, 8.37, 8.16, 7.46, 6.40

Can still feel Sunday in my legs a bit, especially at work when I was going up and down stairs. I think the combination of the pace, the surface (my faster runs are on grass these days) and the lighter runners meant my knees took some punishment, but they'll be fine by Thursday.

mtd: 61.15

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    Can still feel Sunday in my legs a bit, especially at work when I was going up and down stairs.

Ha! I get laughed at in work for getting tired on the stairs. "But you run you should be well able for the stairs"

No, I'm not able for the stairs BECAUSE I run. :rolleyes: 4 flights of stairs 10 - 20 times a day* is not good for the quads and knees of a runner. :pac:

Super running on Sunday by the way and great splits tonight. The club seems to be really bringing you on.

*I use the lift when the coast is clear :cool:

5.35 miles in 51:52 (9.41 pace)

REcovery run back in to work, so nondescript I only just remembered to log it...

mtd: 66.5

• Advertisement

7.12 kmin 32:35 (4.34 average)

Club session - these were supposed to be 300s, 600s, 1000s, but we're running around fields... all supposed to be short of max effort but we did push the last 300s ... 1,2, or 3 minutes recovery between intervals
    warmup - 643m - 3.40 (5.45 pace)
    316m - 1.24 (4.28)
    670m - 2.53 (4.19)
    314m - 1.20 (4.17)
    994m - 4.20 (4.21)
    312m -1.17 (4.07)
    985m - 4.07 (4.11)
    300m - 1.02 (3.29)
    303m - 1.03 (3.27)
    warmdown - 2277m - 12.23 (about 4.50)

Easy enough session, which suited me because my legs were still a bit stiff.

mtd: 70.92 (will switch these to km at the end of the month)

8.62 km in 52:59 (6.08 pace)

Recovery run. Another change to the Garmin display - replaced 'pace - current lap' on main display with 'pace - average'. Think it might be useful during the 5k next week if, instead of trying to remember my pace in previous laps and if I'm up or down, I can just look at the display and see if I'm over or under overall target pace. I'll give it a go anyway.

mtd: 76.27 (will switch these to km at the end of the month)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

7.12 kmin 32:35 (4.34 average)

Club session - these were supposed to be 300s, 600s, 1000s, but we're running around fields... all supposed to be short of max effort but we did push the last 300s ... 1,2, or 3 minutes recovery between intervals
    warmup - 643m - 3.40 (5.45 pace)
    316m - 1.24 (4.28)
    670m - 2.53 (4.19)
    314m - 1.20 (4.17)
    994m - 4.20 (4.21)
    312m -1.17 (4.07)
    985m - 4.07 (4.11)
    300m - 1.02 (3.29)
    303m - 1.03 (3.27)
    warmdown - 2277m - 12.23 (about 4.50)

Easy enough session, which suited me because my legs were still a bit stiff.

mtd: 70.92 (will switch these to km at the end of the month)

Thanks for being so precise Ray! My Garmin conked it half way through and I was having difficulty remembering what order we did this in. Now I'll just cut and paste for my log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's great running Ray, excellent time on Sunday as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Another change to the Garmin display - replaced 'pace - current lap' on main display with 'pace - average'. Think it might be useful during the 5k next week if, instead of trying to remember my pace in previous laps and if I'm up or down, I can just look at the display and see if I'm over or under overall target pace. I'll give it a go anyway.

Really must dig out that Garmin User Manual :rolleyes:. I was wondering last Sunday if you could do that...:o

• Advertisement

19.92 km in 1.52:29 (5.38 pace)

Long run around Tymon Park. Would have preferred Phoenix Park to get some more hills in :rolleyes: Pretty windy day out there...

mtd: 88.57 (will switch these to km at the end of the month)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Long run around Tymon Park. Would have preferred Phoenix Park to get some more hills in :rolleyes: Pretty windy day out there...

Is the Phoenix Park still closed?

Think so, for another day or two

It was very windy in Tymon today- I struggled around it twice
    What loop did you run? The 5 km loop that is mostly marked (actually 4.47km) gets a bit boring after a while

Just wandered around, no real plan except to go up the 'hills'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Was down in Tymon myself today.wind was nuts but enjoyable.Phoenix Park closed till Tuesday atleast.

9.28 km in 45:29 (4.54 pace)

Club session. Up to the hill again, this time for two circuits of the hill route(2.7km), two/three minute recovery, and another double lap.
    Warmup - 1.9 km - 10.31
    Lap 1 - 2.71k - 12.03 (average about 4.25 pace)
    Lap 2 - 2.68k - 11.50 (average a little faster)

These are tough runs - the 2.7k is more or less evenly split between uphill, downhill, and flat - so I'm reasonably happy with the performance.

mtd: 94.34(will switch these to km at the end of the month)

8.54 km in 50:11 (5.52 pace)

Recovery run into work. The usual start slow and finish not-quite-so-slow...

mtd: 99.64 (will switch these to km at the end of the month)

10.45 km in 55:23 (5.17 pace)

Most of the club people off at a race today, which suited me because I just wanted to do some easy laps. Did a faster 150m at the end of every lap, just to get the legs turning over. Not particularly happy about how they went - never felt I really settled into a pace or stride - but it was a bit of a nothing session really, just killing time before Saturday.

mtd: 106.13 (will switch these to km at the end of the month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

(will switch these to km at the end of the month)

Splitter! :p

• Advertisement

Ray

Good luck tomorrow-
    Hope you manage to crack the 20min barrier!

I'm not running-hamstring rehab is still ongoing- I'll be lucky to get out for a few slow kms:(.

+1 Ray, I'll be on Military hill cheering ya'll on!

5 km in 20:33

Another day, another poor race :(
    Didn't feel sharp at all yesterday, and wasn't confident before the start. First couple of kms were at 3.57 pace, and I knew I really needed to be faster there. The hills and the wind in the final ks were as hard as expected, and that's where my average pace dropped below 4, but really the sub 20 had gone long before.

(It's all down to joining a club! :eek: These 'quality miles' in the last couple of months are killing me :pac:)

Anyway, off on holiday to Spain today, going to leave the runners behind. I don't have any form to lose:rolleyes:, so will take 10 days of wine, sun, over-eating, and sleeping late :D

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

We're being a bit hard on ourselves, no?

You had an off day in less than optimum conditions, put it behind you, I'd pack the runners though just in case your chomping at the bit in a few days.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't feel sharp at all yesterday, and wasn't confident before the start. First couple of kms were at 3.57 pace, and I knew I really needed to be faster there. The hills and the wind in the final ks were as hard as expected, and that's where my average pace dropped below 4, but really the sub 20 had gone long before.

(It's all down to joining a club! :eek: These 'quality miles' in the last couple of months are killing me :pac:)

Anyway, off on holiday to Spain today, going to leave the runners behind. I don't have any form to lose:rolleyes:, so will take 10 days of wine, sun, over-eating, and sleeping late :D

I won't be a hypocrite and say don't be too hard on yourself :pac: but, it wasn't easy out there yesterday, that wind was pretty fierce on the hill. I'd say something more encouraging but I know how you're feeling.

Next one will be better. Enjoy the holiday. I bet you do a u-turn on the runners, few nice easy, slow, unmeasured runs in the spanish sunshine will help you relax.

All the cool people are in clubs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Have a great holiday. Its amazing what a break can do to bring back the enthusiasm.

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

Enjoy the hols Ray
    I'm with MrSlow here, I think you're being harsh on yourself. If anything you should be positive as you've consolidated your last PB and managed to be on pace for 60% of the race. Its only a matter of a little more time until you hit sub 20.
    Donore is a tough 5km to my mind- that hill is a killer at a pivotal time in the race. Compare the course to Rathfarnham- the hill comes much earlier!
    Coupled with the wind yesterdat I don't think Donore is all that PB friendly- hence I didn't bother pushing myself to go yesterday

Take a break and come back refreshed and raring to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hard luck Ray, but I think you're definitely going at it the right way. IIRC you only joined the club pretty recently - it takes time for the regular structured training to come through. Yesterdays course was tough - just keep doing the club sessions and have another crack at a kinder course later in the Summer, am sure the sub 20 is just a matter of time.

18.01 km in 102:41 (5.42 pace)

I picked a lovely day for my first run in two weeks:rolleyes:. Still a bit tired this morning, haven't caught up on all my sleep after the travelling, so a nice easy run.

kmtd: 18.01

• Advertisement

9.17 km in 44:03 (4.48 average)

Back to the club, and the hilly loop. Forgot to start a new lap for the first time round, second lap was 1.35 km in 5.52 (4.20 pace), third was 1.35 km in 5.59 (4.26 pace), finally 1.34 km in 6.10 (4.35 pace), then a warmdown of 1.81 km in 9.31 (5.14 pace).

Was feeling tired before we even started, so these were a good 10/20 seconds slower than they should have been. Starting tonight I'm cutting out the evening cup of tea and pile of biscuits, in the hope that less caffeine and sugar will mean better sleep and more energy...

kmtd: 27.18

Advertisement