Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I know the feeling ray. Turned into a semi chocoholic over last few weeks and then wonder why I'm wide awake late at night still.

I signed up for the 8 week challenge on main forum. Might help focus the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ray, if you don't mind me saying you seem less driven than earlier in the year. When is your next shot at a sub 20 5k? Apologies if I'm off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No problem.
    You're right, I am less driven, but its because my performance has been falling off in the last few months. It's harder to psych yourself up for a sub 20 when you don't think you've a chance of achieving it :o
    I haven't gone too far backward, but I don't feel sharp and everything is feeling harder than it should. Maybe I pushed too hard a few months ago, or maybe it's something else. Anyway, for now I want to get back to feeling like I'm running well, and then I'll see about targetting race times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    No problem.
    You're right, I am less driven, but its because my performance has been falling off in the last few months. It's harder to psych yourself up for a sub 20 when you don't think you've a chance of achieving it :o
    I haven't gone too far backward, but I don't feel sharp and everything is feeling harder than it should. Maybe I pushed too hard a few months ago, or maybe it's something else. Anyway, for now I want to get back to feeling like I'm running well, and then I'll see about targetting race times.

Pffff that's what you get for joining a club, Splitter!

Lol, yes, it does coincide with me joining a club :pac:

I probably should have eased off on my other runs when I started doing the club sessions - I'm dropping my Wednesday/Friday runs for the moment, will just do three runs a week for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

You can't honestly believe that you don't have a chance of breaking under 20......?

I was looking at Rathfarnham 5km results from last year the other day and you crossed the finish line just after me- at least I presume it was you..... In the past 8 months you've knocked something like 2.40 off your 5km time, done a marathon etc. How do you think that makes you have performance falling off? Have you really actually trained just for the 5km or are you fitting it in within the overall framework of doing the Dublin marathon again?

I have zero doubt that you can break 20min- I know this because I have zero doubt around me breaking it and you are well ahead of me in the time stakes at present- If you can run one km in under 4min then its only a matter of training your body to knock out 5 in a row. I mean you're at 20.16 or whatever the time is so the margin is very small. Sub 20 is inevitable

Oh sure, I don't mean I'll never go under 20, just that right now I'm not running well so it won't happen. Rathfarnham is months away, so I should be in better form by then.

(though I still might not race it, depending on marathon training and whether the kid wants to run it, in which case I'll jog with him)

Oh sure, I don't mean I'll never go under 20, just that right now I'm not running well so it won't happen. Rathfarnham is months away, so I should be in better form by then.

(though I still might not race it, depending on marathon training and whether the kid wants to run it, in which case I'll jog with him)

I reckon if you trained consistently for a number of weeks specifically for the 5km with a target race in mind you'd get it no problem, there are a number of events coming up in the next month or so if you were so inclined....

South O Hanlon 5km 6.7.11 Sli cualann 4km 13.7.11 Kinnegad 5km 13.7.11 Dublin city council 5km 13.7.11

And not run a marathon this year?:eek:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Ray...

I would say that you are without a doubt stronger now ...But to actual run a PB , a lot has to go right on the day..no not a lot, everything has to go right. Too much focus on it can be very detrimental ...when I ran my 5 mile PB (29.42) , I cycled to the race in RTE in the rain, did a long warm up and had no intention of running fast and guess what , it just happened ...Running a 5k is tough to get the pacing right as well ...too fast at the start , you pay for it last mile..To slow and you wont make it up in the last mile ...I think easing back a bit is a great idea as you need to freshen up, rest a little more ...its not a sin to take extra rest days ...what we do in the club takes a little getting used to as well and may be taking more out of you than you think ...so getting back to loving your running is the key ...the confidence will flow soon...remember one good run or session changes the picture immediately .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

It's harder to psych yourself up for a sub 20 when you don't think you've a chance of achieving it :o

I think a bit of perspective is needed here - last month your log says you ran 20.33 in the Donore 5k, and if I remember there was a pig of a wind that day? Bad conditions can easily scupper a PB attempt - if you ran it again on a calm day you could well have gone sub 20.

As PVincent said, you need a lot of things to come together to get a PB, and not all of them are in your control. Keep the faith!

You should consider the feelings of others, I was using you as a marker and now you've gone a bit casual. What is one to do?

Get back in the game and I may reconsider my position on Dunshaughlin.;)

There must be someone you can chase in Dunshaughlin?
    vagga? woddle? ;)

forgot my Garmin :eek: ... approx 5k...

Club session - warmup, then alternating 650s and 300s, with a short rest in between each run, and then a warmdown. 300s were 65-70 seconds, except the last which was a few seconds faster. 650s were 2.30-2.40?

The arch of my foot has been sore for the last few days, but funnily enough it didn't bother me at all when I was running, and is better today than it was yesterday...

kmtd: 32.18

21.33 km in 129:03 (6.03 average)

le sigh

Headed out for a long run, planned to do some PMP km in the middle, but I wasn't ten minutes down the road before I had to stop and stretch. I never have to stop and stretch. But I stopped again twice in the next few miles, and yet again after 10k. Every time I stopped to cross the road I felt I was seizing up, and the rest of the run wasn't much better. The PMP plan went out the window (as did the planned slow pace) and I just focussed on doing a bit more distance than usual.

Part of this may be down to new runners - picked up a pair of Brooks Glycerine yesterday, and while they're fine and comfortable, the extra support compared to my worn-down Mizunos may have altered my stride a little.

kmtd: 53.51

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Part of this may be down to new runners - picked up a pair of Brooks Glycerine yesterday, and while they're fine and comfortable, the extra support compared to my worn-down Mizunos may have altered my stride a little.
    I found the Glycerine crazy and uncomfortable for the first 20 or 30 miles, until I broke them in I guess, could be that I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I found the Glycerine crazy and uncomfortable for the first 20 or 30 miles, until I broke them in I guess, could be that I guess?

+1 for that. I came from Asics Nimbus and found the Glycerins tough going at the start. Am used to them now and think that they're definitely the most comfortable shoe I've run in.

I found I was stomping down in them and couldn't stick with them.

Ray, Congrats on the Modship! ;)

9.42 km in 45:45 (4.51 average)

Tempo session with the club. Short warmup then 2X20 minute runs. 4.32 pace for the first run, five minute rest, and 4.43 pace for the second. Tough run, but a good one.

kmtd: 62.93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

How's your arch Raycun? I've been having a similar pain in mine- not when running but when walking around and sometimes it feels a bit like a little cramp. I'll scream if I'm injured!

• Advertisement

Bally8 wrote: »
    How's your arch Raycun? I've been having a similar pain in mine- not when running but when walking around and sometimes it feels a bit like a little cramp. I'll scream if I'm injured!

Still sore, on and off, but getting better. Running or walking on grass are okay, but harder surfaces give it more trouble. On Monday it was sore even when I was sitting down, so I had my shoe off most of the day - that helped a lot. Today it's much better.

8.7 km in about 45 minutes

Easy run last night, up and around Tymon and back to the club meeting point.

kmtd: 71.63

10 km in 45.06 (I didn't stop the Garmin for a couple of seconds, so it matches gun time)

Out to Dunshaughlin for a mass gathering of reprobates Boardsies - as well as the usual crowd who only go for the drinks afterwards, I bumped into macinalli and meathcountysec - good to see you both.

There was also the small matter of the race... All of the organisation was spot-on (apart from a bit of confusion over the location of the start line) but the weather was more suited for spectating than running. It was a hot one, and I had time to regret wearing my Boards top instead of something lighter (note: must pester donothoponpop to order Boards singlets) which is obviously the reason I didn't go under 42. :D

Anyway, lined up beside Mrs Low at the start, and kicked off the first km in 4.17. Unfortunately it felt like 4.17 pace too, not the usual easy first km. Strategy over this km changed from "okay, stay on Mr Slow's shoulder" to "okay, stay a couple of metres back" :pac: and over the next few km (4.20, 4.24, 4.28) became "okay, he's not too far away" and eventually "I think that's his hat in the distance"

My lowest point in the race was probably the 4th or 5th km - I felt hot, my pace was dropping, and I was wondering what the hell I was doing out there. 5th k passed in 4.35 :eek: and halfway was just over 22 minutes.

But not long after that we turned right, ending the outward stretch of the run and (I think) starting to get some shelter in the shadow of the hedges, and around about then I started to feel better. My pace started to stabilise (4.32, 4.36), and we started meeting supporters out in their front gardens with cups of water - a couple of those thrown in the face and over the head were very welcome. The hill at 7k was barely noticeable, though my pace that k did drop down to 4.50. For the last couple of k my target was sub-45 - 9k was 4.34, and 10k I was down to 4.19 - which I missed by a few seconds, but I wasn't too disappointed. I didn't blow the race in the first mile, didn't slacken off in the middle, and the retching at the finish line :o proved I gave it all at the end.

kmtd: 81.63

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I had time to regret wearing my Boards top instead of something lighter (note: must pester donothoponpop to order Boards singlets) which is obviously the reason I didn't go under 42. :D

I. told. you. so

:)

hey puke finish? you stealing my moves?

10 km in 45.06 (I didn't stop the Garmin for a couple of seconds, so it matches gun time)

Out to Dunshaughlin for a mass gathering of reprobates Boardsies - as well as the usual crowd who only go for the drinks afterwards, I bumped into macinalli and meathcountysec - good to see you both.

There was also the small matter of the race... All of the organisation was spot-on (apart from a bit of confusion over the location of the start line) but the weather was more suited for spectating than running. It was a hot one, and I had time to regret wearing my Boards top instead of something lighter (note: must pester donothoponpop to order Boards singlets) which is obviously the reason I didn't go under 42. :D

Anyway, lined up beside Mrs Low at the start, and kicked off the first km in 4.17. Unfortunately it felt like 4.17 pace too, not the usual easy first km. Strategy over this km changed from "okay, stay on Mr Slow's shoulder" to "okay, stay a couple of metres back" :pac: and over the next few km (4.20, 4.24, 4.28) became "okay, he's not too far away" and eventually "I think that's his hat in the distance"

My lowest point in the race was probably the 4th or 5th km - I felt hot, my pace was dropping, and I was wondering what the hell I was doing out there. 5th k passed in 4.35 :eek: and halfway was just over 22 minutes.

But not long after that we turned right, ending the outward stretch of the run and (I think) starting to get some shelter in the shadow of the hedges, and around about then I started to feel better. My pace started to stabilise (4.32, 4.36), and we started meeting supporters out in their front gardens with cups of water - a couple of those thrown in the face and over the head were very welcome. The hill at 7k was barely noticeable, though my pace that k did drop down to 4.50. For the last couple of k my target was sub-45 - 9k was 4.34, and 10k I was down to 4.19 - which I missed by a few seconds, but I wasn't too disappointed. I didn't blow the race in the first mile, didn't slacken off in the middle, and the retching at the finish line :o proved I gave it all at the end.

kmtd: 81.63

Decent running all the same Ray
    Well done- I'd be v happy with a 45 min 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

note: must pester donothoponpop to order Boards singlets
    Yea, never was a singlet more valuable than last night..

There were some lads I passed in old school, heavy GAA shirts - they must have been literally melting.

Good running Ray :)

Well done Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

excellent result, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Raycun, great result!

• Advertisement

6.3 km in 27.28 (4.21 average)

Club session tonight was 400s.About a k to warm up, then 9 x 400, sets of 4, 3, 2 with a longer break between each set.

Lap 1 was 94 seconds, and then we sorted out the pace a bit, 89, 90, 91, 94 :eek:, 92, 92, 94, 90, and then a warmdown of 1.6 km. Was really feeling things after Saturday, calf felt very tight. But, as usual, the fact that you're running in a group means you can't just quit because of a little pain :) - I was running third in the group through each lap, with a good 5 seconds gap behind the leading two on most laps, and on the last lap someone else made a play for my spot :) I had to take the outside track, but I held him off :cool:

kmtd: 87.93

Advertisement