Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the day..... Bad Fashion Choices!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It wasn't clothes, it was my hair.
    I got a perm, worst thing every, esp has I have wavy/fuzzy hair, I ended up with poodle type hiar, very brian may :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It wasn't clothes, it was my hair.
    I got a perm, worst thing every, esp has I have wavy/fuzzy hair, I ended up with poodle type hiar, very brian may :(

Oh, this reminds me of crimping hair. My mom never let me buy one so I would put in lots of little braids when my hair was wet trying to get the crimped look. Instead I got frizz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

hmm let me think... When i was choosing my own clothes, it would have to be any 90s clubber gear... Terrible stuff. And i always tried to mix clubwear with goth/alternative... Could have been ok but it wasnt. No pictures to prove me right or wrong though, thankfully. :) a list of things the other girls around wore, that i was guilty of wearing too:
    gap hoodies
    cargo pants(stringy ones too)
    lycra flares
    butterfly tops(backless or halter or both with hankie like material on front, usually in a butterfly shape. Worn at discos, with lycra flares unles you were a slapper, then you wore them with a miniskirt)
    high heeled platform knee high boots( usualy black and worn with miniskirt and stringtop or just under pants)
    ankle length lycra skirts with slit either side
    long netted cardigans
    puffy jackets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I can blame my mother for various wooly jumpers, flowery leggings and violently bright dresses in the early 90's but my goth/skater phase I have only myself to blame for.

Now some girls can pull off the look very well, but I think it all went wrong for me. I was adament that because I listened to a certain kind of music I had to dress in a particular way. I thought it was a badge of honour to have my mam appalled at what I was wearing. But now I think she was just trying to prevent me looking like an idiot. I have one memory of her begging me not to buy a tie-dyed, multi-coloured Nirvana t-shirt that was several sizes too big for me. That was a good call. :P

Like the OP I went through I 'black phase' wher I would wear only black, nothing else, or dark denim jeans at a stretch. The jeans of course were ridiculousy baggy and the amount of dirt and rain they collected at the bottom was unreal. For some reason I thought a man's XL -size Korn t-shirt was a really good look for a tiny 13-year-old girl ( I can still wear it as a night-dress now, ha!). I thought I was oh-so-controversial wearing a Slipknot hoodie to Mass and shocking all the auld ones. All of this coupled with the dog collars and spikey braclets. The shame. All photographic evidence of this time must be destroyed- I'm just grateful this was just before the facebook/bebo era where fashion mistakes can be recorded forever *shudder*:P

I still like a lot of the music but don't really dress the part anymore ( not that there's anything wrong with that if you can pull it off).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I also used to think that if you wore one color your outfit automatically matched. My school photo from when I was 14 I am wearing a blue sweater, a blue headband, blue earrings and blue eyeshadow but none are the same shade :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

natsuko wrote: »
    hmm let me think... When i was choosing my own clothes, it would have to be any 90s clubber gear... Terrible stuff. And i always tried to mix clubwear with goth/alternative... Could have been ok but it wasnt. No pictures to prove me right or wrong though, thankfully. :) a list of things the other girls around wore, that i was guilty of wearing too:
    gap hoodies
    cargo pants(stringy ones too)
    lycra flares
    butterfly tops(backless or halter or both with hankie like material on front, usually in a butterfly shape. Worn at discos, with lycra flares unles you were a slapper, then you wore them with a miniskirt)
    high heeled platform knee high boots( usualy black and worn with miniskirt and stringtop or just under pants)
    ankle length lycra skirts with slit either side
    long netted cardigans
    puffy jackets

I owned every single one of those things too!:) [except for the lycra skirt]
    Butterfly tops were quite popular if i remember correctly, and also "handkerchief tops", similar because they also tied at the back,
    the front was in the shape of an upside down triangle, and usually had beads or some design on it.
    I had an embarrassing 'popping out' incident with one of them things...:o

I lived in GAP hoodies at home, lots of nice colours of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Acacia wrote: »
    I can blame my mother for various wooly jumpers, flowery leggings and violently bright dresses in the early 90's but my goth/skater phase I have only myself to blame for.

Now some girls can pull off the look very well, but I think it all went wrong for me. I was adament that because I listened to a certain kind of music I had to dress in a particular way. I thought it was a badge of honour to have my mam appalled at what I was wearing. But now I think she was just trying to prevent me looking like an idiot. I have one memory of her begging me not to buy a tie-dyed, multi-coloured Nirvana t-shirt that was several sizes too big for me. That was a good call. :P

Like the OP I went through I 'black phase' wher I would wear only black, nothing else, or dark denim jeans at a stretch. The jeans of course were ridiculousy baggy and the amount of dirt and rain they collected at the bottom was unreal. For some reason I thought a man's XL -size Korn t-shirt was a really good look for a tiny 13-year-old girl ( I can still wear it as a night-dress now, ha!). I thought I was oh-so-controversial wearing a Slipknot hoodie to Mass and shocking all the auld ones. All of this coupled with the dog collars and spikey braclets. The shame. All photographic evidence of this time must be destroyed- I'm just grateful this was just before the facebook/bebo era where fashion mistakes can be recorded forever *shudder*:P

I still like a lot of the music but don't really dress the part anymore ( not that there's anything wrong with that if you can pull it off).
    I also had a spiky dog collar and I thought I was so cool.I cringe to think about it now.:o What was I like? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Acacia wrote: »

Oh my god I could have written that myself about my earlier teen years. My ma now wears my XL Nirvana and Pumpkins t-shirts to protect her clothes when she's dying her hair. I also just remembered some of the cosmetic disasters I proudly sported in a bid to shock parents/neighbours/the dog on the street :o blue lipstick, anyone? (I also had bright green and purple ones.. horrors).

I still dress in 90% black and wear band t-shirts almost exclusively (and have amassed the metal band CV and extensive tattoo coverage to go with them.. 15-year-old me would be very impressed) but at least my clothes FIT me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Flourescent pink string T, worn with plain white vest T underneath, and deliberately visible black bra underneath that.:o

Classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 monroebaby

rain on wrote: »
    blue lipstick, anyone? (I also had bright green and purple ones.. horrors).
    Blue lipstick! I had a really blue one and also an iridescent one. Im not sure what I was thinking.... :rolleyes:
    natsuko wrote: »
    lycra flares
    puffy jackets
    OMG, guilty. I got a pair of Black lycra flares for my conformation, which I paired with a lime green blazer which covered my bum and a pair of black patent leather peep toe platforms, I was allowed to pick my own clothes if I was good for however long it took... I don't think they expected me to be good!
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    I had one of those reversible mickey mouse jumpers, looking at photos I still think it was cute for a kid.
    My aunt had one of those!! I used to put it on and I remember it hung down past my knees and I tripped over the arms when I walked. I'm not a 'small person', I was about 3 years old! :D

I had a Nirvana top. I cut holes in the cuffs of the sleeves to stick my thumbs through. I wore baggy jeans which got absolutely filthy at the ends in the rain and wrapped themselves around my legs as I walked. Got a pair of knee high purple docs in America and thought I was hawt stuff. I was also a big Manics fan as a teenager and if anyone doesn't know that involves using ridiculous amounts of black eyeliner, using coke (a cola ;) ) in your hair to mess it up, wearing leopard print items, fishnets, feather boa. All at once....... Oh, what a shame there are no pictures! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I too had a black phase.
    I was into Marilyn Manson, wore stompy boots and lots of eyeliner.
    For the most part, I dressed really grungy for most of the last two decades- baggy jeans, converse, slogan t-shirts and plaid.

I also went through a butch phase where I got my hair chopped off and buzzed down in back. I wanted to look like Fairuza Balk from The Craft but ended up as a fat Goth.

Currently, I still rock the slogan t-shirts (I'm wearing purple Garfield with "Just Pretend I'm Listening") and comfortable jeans though my biggest obsession now is imitation Ugg boots from Penneys. I have 5 pairs strewn about my room in various stages of wear and tear.

So cosy...*purr*

As for my hair, it's black again but I might change it at some stage. I'm growing it out to get some lenght back after getting layers so hopefully I'll have a mane this time next year...

Advertisement