Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the day..... Bad Fashion Choices!!!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I had such jelly sandal envy, I never got a pair but my friend had these silver glittery ones and I thought they were the bees knees! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Oh i forgot to mention the dreaded Spaceman coat! anyone else have one??
    appaman-puffer-jacket-silver-both-med.jpg

theres a few people at home who still laugh at myself and my cousin cause we had them! i hated it, horrible looking yoke

That Jacket always reminds me of Bianca from Eastenders she used to live in it first time round when they were "in fashion".. and I spotted her wearing it not so long ago again now she's back! That jacket has to be 10+ years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Did anyone else have a Global Hypercolour t-shirt? They changed colours when they heated up.. my friend had a purple one that turned pink and I had an orange one that turned yellow. Thought they were the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

rain on wrote: »
    Did anyone else have a Global Hypercolour t-shirt? They changed colours when they heated up.. my friend had a purple one that turned pink and I had an orange one that turned yellow. Thought they were the bees knees.

Oh I remember those! My best friend had one and I begged and pleaded for one but my mom said they were too expensive.

Although I do remember my friend got embarrassed because when her breasts grew in they lit up the hypercolor and drew everyones eyes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

I had one of those global hypercolour tshirts that changed colour when you breathed on them...wore it all the time!! Also about 10 sizes too big....

File:Generra_Hypercolor.jpg

biggest bad choice was cutting my hair short...everyone assumed I was gay...not much man pulling in those days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I honestly don't know why, but when I was about fourteen or fifteen, all of my friends started wearing their jeans really low, with their underwear peeping over the top... so I did that too. :o Now it wasn't a hanging out thong thing, it was more insanely baggy jeans with hot-pants underneath.

Also, stripey knee socks with shorts.

And my poor, poor hair. What colour hasn't it been?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

coral colored puffa jacket, a big green jumpsuit (the shorts ones) with a big gaudy belt on it!, leggings (as pants) :o

Velvet dresses with frilly knickers underneath in case I fell over. Ugh, late 80's child with many MANY fashion disasters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Fishie wrote: »
    I had such jelly sandal envy, I never got a pair but my friend had these silver glittery ones and I thought they were the bees knees! :D

me too! I was never allowed get a pair, my mam said they looked awful and I would thank her in the future, how right she was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

neon socks and bicycle shorts. Went through a bicycle shorts stage for a summer when I was about 10 or 11 and had one for every day of the week including a hot pink pair I thought were the best thing ever but ruined when my mother attempted to iron them. Thankfully I have destroyed any photographic evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Leggings with thick socks over the ankles, a brown duffle coat, a 'boys!!' 3rd hand shell suit.
    Horror of all horrors my mam would dress me (10) and my sister 5/6 in matching outfits - tarten skirts and a wooly jumper - i specifically remember a green outfit oh and horrible thick white tights.
    I had pink coulottes i thought were awesome and a pink polka jacket with puffy shoulders. Oh and I also had a reversable jumper - red with a huge cat on the front/plain..
    Mustard cords..

I remember chooseing a velvet ensamble one christmas in the 90's topped off with black velvet beret, waist coat and trousers - underneath was a white blouse with huge frill down the middle and massive cuffs.

and doc martin shoes - rather than boots, so so cool :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

That Jacket always reminds me of Bianca from Eastenders she used to live in it first time round when they were "in fashion".. and I spotted her wearing it not so long ago again now she's back! That jacket has to be 10+ years old!

Oh i remember her wearing it the first time around! there defo more then 10 years old now at this stage. Mustve had one when i was around 6/7 and i'm 22 now!

Ugh lord im cringing just thinking about those stupid coats. ugggghhhh! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I always wished I was alive during the 80s but these fashion mistakes are making me think otherwise :p Since I'm only 20 I don't have any major gripes about what I've worn in the past (apart from shell suit trackies and velvet trousers >_<) but I do have one major fashion faux pas. When I was 18ish I used to wear a lot of string tops over long sleeved tops... I was wearing one the day I got my LC results. This picture was splashed across several national newspapers:

4860_1114267149746_1618967574_30291254_1664239_n.jpg

Comments afterwards: "Why are you wearing a bra over your top?!".

Oh the embarassment >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

From the ages of 10-12 I went through this big goth phase. It was highly highly embarrassing.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I owned something very similar to these colorful leggings when I was about 6 or 7,
    except mine were shorts that ended just above the knee, and were skintight and kinda shiny- think they were called ski shorts but not sure?
    I used to wear them with t shirts and thought they were soooooo cool!:o

http://www.welovecolors.com/img/prod302I8L.jpg

Velvet hair scrunchies-I think most people owned one of these at some point.
    http://everyoneknowsbest.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/scrunchies.jpg
    http://www.thefashionpolice.net/images/Hair-scrunchie.jpg

Actually on that site were I found the scrunchie picture, there was another picture that I'm guilty of too:

The Bra Strap Hairband!:pac:

Also used to tie bulky sports jumpers around my waist, -very gammy looking.

Had a horrible pair of skintight trouser yokes that I wore to a disco once, they flared out like hipsters at the bottom, but were tight like leggings near the thighs, and they were metallic silver with a matching belly top!-I honestly believe that was the worst outfit I wore in my entire life. Even at the time my friends were like: Wtf are you wearing?!
    You'd need to see it to realise how bad it was.

Does anyone remember the craze for these type boob tubes in about 2000/2001?

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/11166/485e92d22a80f_11166n.jpg

I had a black one, a red one, a blue one, a pink one, a purple one, a silver one, AND a gold one!!
    They're not that bad actually, wish I still had the stomach to wear one.

I'm only 23 so there could be many more fashion disasters to come!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Well from about the age of 4 to 8 I wore doc martins at every chance I could get, usually paired with flowery leggings and a huge jumper, probably my mam's or dad's, sometimes wearing my dad's overalls too.:pac:
    My mam would go out and buy me lovely little dresses and jeans but I'd have none of it, I wore whatever I wanted, no matter how awful it was, I thought I looked great.
    I remember I found some Irish dancing dress in my babysitters house and I was mad to wear it, I wasn't allowed so instead I wore some maroon velvet monstrosity for about a month..oh the shame!:pac:

From about 10-14 was my "rocker" phase (I listened to Avril Lavinge and Linkin Park for gods sake), would wear huge baggy trousers and little black t-shirts, converse, vans and still doc martins!
    Oh god...I still love cons though, wear them every day untill they fall apart and have to buy a new pair.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wore football jerseys and tracksuit bottoms a lot as a teenager, I used to own about 5 or 6 Manchester United jerseys of various vintages. Given that I've had short hair since I was 14, I used to pass for a boy a lot of the time...

There's also my early college hippy stage. This involved huge amounts of tiedye stuff and pretty much every kind of baggy or flared jeans sold in Temple Bar. :pac: There are pictures of me taken when I was about 20 wearing a zip-up hoody with the 7 colours of the rainbow in correct descending order, a black knee-length A-line skirt, rainbow knee socks and Converse in a bright red Chinese satin material.

The one I hated the most... the "I'm fat, just hide everything" stage. Back when I was at my biggest, I used to wear Penneys mens hoodies, mens size XL band shirts and whatever jeans or combats I could get in Evans all the time. I must have looked so depressed all the time :(

Does anyone remember the craze for these type boob tubes in about 2000/2001?

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/11166/485e92d22a80f_11166n.jpg

I had a black one, a red one, a blue one, a pink one, a purple one, a silver one, AND a gold one!!
    They're not that bad actually, wish I still had the stomach to wear one.

My sister had a blue one of those tops! I thought it was SO COOL and I couldn't wait for her to get bored of it and pass it down to me, as she used to do sometimes with her clothes... By the time she did, thankfully I wasn't interested anymore!
    I'm amazed you had it in so many colours though - where on earth did you wear them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Fishie wrote: »
    My sister had a blue one of those tops! I thought it was SO COOL and I couldn't wait for her to get bored of it and pass it down to me, as she used to do sometimes with her clothes... By the time she did, thankfully I wasn't interested anymore!
    I'm amazed you had it in so many colours though - where on earth did you wear them all?

To the teeney bopper discoes of course!:) All my friends had some too, and we would swap with each other a lot. They would borrow my boob tubes, and I would borrow their halternecks.
    Thinking about it now, we got away with murder with what we were allowed wear so young.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I never really wore a dress by itself until my debs day....I used to wear skirts and dresses over jeans with my black docs. The only skirt I had to wear was my school skirt!

I also used to rock the baggy jeans with tiny tshirts showing off my then wash board belly and a bright pair of knickers peeping over the waist band! :o I loved wearing boys shirts and hoodies over them in the cold. Ugh Arrest me fashion police!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I still remember a lot of the stuff I wore when I was younger fondly. Maybe I'm delusional!

I had one of those reversible mickey mouse jumpers, looking at photos I still think it was cute for a kid.

Some of the stuff was terrible though but it makes me smile to think of them. Like the turquoise cycle shorts that ripped in the gusset on a cycling trip, or the green shell suit with leopard skin detail :D I also had a top that fastened in the crotch like a baby's vest! Really uncomfortable! I suppose the purple denim dungaree shorts were dodgy as well.

I had lilac velvet trousers when I was 21. They were actually nice, I'd wear them again! I spent a couple of years in men's velvet jackets from charity shops listening to Belle and Sebastian and the likes. Then again I still love velvet now.

One thing I am glad of is that I never got X Worx jeans or Parallels. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I also had a top that fastened in the crotch like a baby's vest! Really uncomfortable!

Oh man, I had a couple of them and wore them with either really baggy, ripped jeans or those hippy broomstick skirts. sp9999-s-rose-stripe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Haha, brilliant thread!

Remember the alphabet jumpers that were around in the late 80's? They were knitted and had every letter of the alphabet in different colours all over it - oh I loved mine.....wore it constantly...with a shiny tracksuit complete with ankle cuffs....eek :)

Cycling shorts with huge tshirts so it almost looked like a tshirt was all I was wearing, haha. Teamed with ankle socks and runners!

The worst had to be in the 90's when I was old enough to know better - purple cords, striped glittery purple top, I put glitter in my hair and bright purple eyeshadow followed by glitter rubbed all over my eyelids..........seeing a theme?! My God, i was just the coolest person at that school disco :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

When I was a little girl I was fairly 'into' clothes and fashion, or so I thought. My mum avoided conflict by letting me choose to wear whatever I wanted, BIG mistake! I genuinely thought pink and red were two colours that went really well together, especially teamed with flowery doc martens, those turned-down frilly socks, flowery leggings and a giant yellow jumper. I usually looked like a carpet.
    I never really learned in the fashion stakes either, my early teen years were pretty bad too. I just wore huge jeans that were a foot too long that would soak up water like a sponge, paired with a tiny t-shirt (which I did not have the body for, I wasn't one of those washboard belly girls) and a huge army coat thing. I wonder will I look at my now-clothes in a few years and go 'What was I thinking?!'

does anyone remember the combats/parachute pants that had all those strips of fabic hanging off them? mustve been out about 10years ago, were sold in those tinybopper/skinny mini type shops. i cant find a photo of them online at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Oh God >_< I had a pair of those trousers! Disgusting things - used to get caughtin everything too :P

I had a pair too, awful things now that i think back. i cant find a photo online anywhere, does that mean they were THAT bad?!?! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Truley wrote: »
    Two words... Adidas. Poppers.

Hehe...I am actually wearing a pair of those right now! They are my "sitting around the house" trousers. Yes that's right. I have had these and a pair of reebok ones for 14 years now. I wear them all the time (in the privacy of my own home mind you). Seriously the most hard wearing item of clothing of all time! They must have been washed hundreds of times and worn to a million sporty things and they still look brand new. Every now and again I like to call my mother and remind her of how much she complained about the price of them at the time yet they are possibly the best value item of clothing that I have ever bought.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had a pair of those parachute pants as well. Cringe! I was also fond of those German army shirts, boys skate shorts with stripy knee socks, Vans, DCs. Bit of a long black skirt, fishnets and Docs phase too :D I still wear loads of band tshirts, Docs and LOTS of black.

does anyone remember the combats/parachute pants that had all those strips of fabic hanging off them? mustve been out about 10years ago, were sold in those tinybopper/skinny mini type shops. i cant find a photo of them online at all

These yokes? :D

Hip_Hop_Parachute_Cargo_Dance_Pants.jpg

(Don't worry, I had a pair in luminous pink :o)

• Advertisement

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!! no way! i had a pair in beige, not too bad a colour i guess?!
    i remember them having waaay more strings hanging out of them though!

fair play to ya fishie for finding a pic!

Advertisement