Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the day..... Bad Fashion Choices!!!

Options
  • 09-11-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

What did your mother dress you in?? What did you wear to school discos/raves/nightclubs?
    The outfits and hairstyles that you cringe thinkin of..
    I went through a "black phase" as my family called it, I wore black lipstick and dog collars and stuff like that...
    all the photos are hidden... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

not my own doing but cardigans and comb overs!

the clothes were all hand me downs. always liked the broken in feeling of those clothes, the styles and colours not so sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

The weird thing is, all the horrible stuff I wore circa 1986 is back in the shops!!!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

80s horror - like pixie boots, snow/stone-washed denim items with extra zips, ski pants, jump suits, loud jumpers with pictures/words knitted into them, check pants like something a clown would wear. These were all at the ages of 10/11. My fave outfit was a black and white cropped top (with a newspaper clipping, "inky" effect type print) that had shoulder-pads (actually a nice top if it weren't for those), thick white ribbed tights, electric blue socks with multi-coloured squiggles over the tights, pixie boots, a denim jacket with flowers sewn on it, and either a snow-washed denim skirt or a blue kinda ra-ra skirt (that was actually nice). :o

My mum bought me an outfit that was pretty cool when I was four in the early 80s - frilly blouse, French Revolution style pantaloon kinda things... and leg warmers. I don't think it was even intentional, but it combined the then popular Adam Ant look with the Flashdance one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 monroebaby

Oh god, the 80's! I was dressed by my mammy in the 80's, but in the early 90's I started making my own choices...... Why was I given a choice?? :D
    I had a pair of purple culottes, and oh god I just reminded myself of the purple velvet trousers :confused:

Culottes - the confirmation apparel for every Irish 12/13-year-old girl in the late 80s/early 90s ever. How did we not SEE their hideousness?! And they made us look about 50...
    That reminds me of my friend's confirmation outfit which was a really bright yellow knitted mini skirt and matching jumper - how we laughed at the time, but it was actually pretty cool and she held on to it for years afterwards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 monroebaby

I know right? Blinded by the fact that they were trousers...that could look like a skirt... how dreadful! Also I had an Aran cardigan when I was kid, which was lovely but I hated wearing it because I was forced to wear it. And, now I would love an Aran cardigan, a small fit with skinny jeans and a lovely pair of boots.....Its possible that I could look back on this post in a few years and go WHAT???? haha! :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't know what the name for this type of tracksuit is, but I used to have a green and purple tracksuit with cuffs on the ankles as well as the wrists. The top zipped up at the front. The most annoying thing about it was trying to get the trousers on after I'd been swimming, there was this shiny white lining inside them which I used to always get my feet tangled in. I seem to remember it was horrible synthetic material.

I had a pair of glittery black ski pants, they're the ones with the elastic loop that went under the sole of your foot aren't they? I used to wear them with a horrible pink jumper, it had a huge frilly collar and was covered in large black polka dots. This was actually my favourite outfit as well!

I also wore an awful lot of cycling shorts; I had a black pair with a pink and yellow neon pattern, a yellow pair with huge pink and blue flowers :o Oh and culottes, I'd forgotten about those! I had a purple and yellow pair, I thought they were great because they matched my triceratops flik-flak watch

I had a reversible Snoopy jumper; it had one large Snoopy with a stripy background on one side, and loads of small Snoopys on the other. It was really warm because it had some sort of padding in the middle.

Does anyone remember the craze for hair wraps? When a small piece of hair had several coloured embroidery threads wrapped around it in various patterns and tied at the end, and you'd keep it there for months. I had three or four in my hair at one point. I was soooo cool! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fishie wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the craze for hair wraps? When a small piece of hair had several coloured embroidery threads wrapped around it in various patterns and tied at the end, and you'd keep it there for months. I had three or four in my hair at one point. I was soooo cool! :D

I got one done and my mum hated it :rolleyes:
    "that's lovely now take it out"

I didn't really pay much attention to them when I was 10+ I guess... I liked nice combats and various tops. Went through a bit of a goth phase. Had the most awful pair of bright silver shiny trousers when I was 16. Mum even tried to hide them :o She was right too!
    Other than that I wore pretty bland stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The weird thing is, all the horrible stuff I wore circa 1986 is back in the shops!!!!!:confused:
    As my granny used to say, wear something long enough and it'll come back into vogue. :) Though thinking of my own faux pas I reckon I'd need to live to be 400 :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Dudess wrote: »
    Culottes - the confirmation apparel for every Irish 12/13-year-old girl in the late 80s/early 90s ever.

So true. I got my confirmation in 1992 and wore mint green culottes with a matching jacket and plaid blouse with a chain attached at the neck, oh and crimped hair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The 80's were awful. I still can't believe that the stuff I wore as a kid is back in fashion. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My worst EVER outfit was a pair of black leggings with runners and a black tee shirt that my Dad got free with some camera film so it had "SPECTRA PHOTO!" written on it. To be fair I wore it once and felt like an idiot so it quickly went in the bin.

I had loads of jumpers with cartoon characters on them, my Mum was a big knitter...

That and the time my Gran gave myself and my 2 brothers big back patches with Iron Maiden stuff on them when I was about 6. I SO didn't want a giant skull with snakes coming out the eyes on my denim jacket! She always used to buy us the same thing in case one of us thought we got a bum deal!

That and my first school dance (or the Hop as it was affectionately known back then :rolleyes:) I wore cords, a white shirt buttoned the whole way up and a waistcoat.

God, could I have BEEN any gayer??? I was only 12. Ah well, I was clearly taking some lessons in fashion from Blossom... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

circa 2001:

bluehurr.jpg

I'm more upset about stupidly baggy clothes because I was insecure about my body (was actually within the healthy bmi at the time) than about the blue hair. And I'm more upset over the lame haircut than the blue hair.

Oh yeah, the wearing lots of baggy black stuff to hide my "fatness"... :rolleyes:
    Christ if I had that body back I'd wear next to nothing all day ever day! :D
    So true. I got my confirmation in 1992 and wore mint green culottes with a matching jacket and plaid blouse with a chain attached at the neck, oh and crimped hair!
    Oh the mint green ones were the most evil culprit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

80s horror - like pixie boots,
    shoulder-pads
    electric blue socks with multi-coloured squiggles over the tights,
    and leg warmers.

Ah yes, I remember it well... I was in college in those days. Black pointy suede shoes, narrow ankle baggy trousers (had a cool blue with red highlights stripy pair), red argyle-style knitted tank top over a t-shirt of some kind, columbo-style mac, little thin plait from the nape of my neck and a dangly sparkly earring ('cos most of the boys had a silver hoop by then and I had to be different...).*

Myself and another lad used to hang out together and we looked like clones...

*Actually, I quite liked that outfit...

Oh yeah, those Mickey Mouse/Snoopy etc quilted sweatshirt things - Jesus! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Oh yeah, the wearing lots of baggy black stuff to hide my "fatness"... :rolleyes:
    Christ if I had that body back I'd wear next to nothing all day ever day! :D
    QFT!

I'd walk around in a bikini all day long. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My fave outfit was a black and white cropped top (with a newspaper clipping, "inky" effect type print) that had shoulder-pads (actually a nice top if it weren't for those), thick white ribbed tights, electric blue socks with multi-coloured squiggles over the tights, pixie boots, a denim jacket with flowers sewn on it, and either a snow-washed denim skirt or a blue kinda ra-ra skirt (that was actually nice). :o

Did this remind anyone else of the descriptions of Claudia's super-cool outfits in the Babysitter's Club series? :D

Around ages 9-11 I wore leggings as trousers wayyy too much. Jesus I had this horrendous turquoise pair (this might have been ski pants now that I think about it.. ugh) that I wore with a lavender polo-neck under a purple floral shirt.. oh horrors. I also had a lovely mustard-coloured pair of leggings that my mother insisted on pairing with a navy and mustard floral jumper.. the mothers were as to blame as anyone for the atrocities that were committed back then!

In my teens I went the other way and like a lot of people on this thread went down the 'baggy clothes to hide my perfectly normal body' road - I didn't think I was too fat as such, I just didn't think it was anything of anyone's business except my own what my body looked like. Those giant Road jeans (which sat so low that a good two inches of underwear showed) with a men's size band t-shirt was a pretty common combination up until my late teens. Combine that with the fact that I'm 5'2" and I'm fairly sure I looked like a small sack most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Dresses with frilly collars and petticoats and floral prints.
    Lycra cycling shorts that were black on one side and luminous yellow on the other.
    Adidas ripoff tracksuits, with the buttons all down the side :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Two words... Adidas. Poppers.

So in the 90s everyone looked like this.

And god help you if you were seen in public in less than three stripes, the shame! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Lycra cycling shorts that were black on one side and luminous yellow on the other.

Oh god I'd forgotten about the cycling shorts :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was dressed in a pale pink hideous top and skirt for my confirmation, the top had a sailor collar.

Now pink, especially pale pink is not my colour. The photos were so bad my parents got them for free. That was in 1985 or so.

I fondly remember a pair of white patent doc martins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Wearing leggings when I were younger with just a short top or something like that, ugly looking pairs of shorts either too tight or just showed too much yuck. Baggy jumpers I guess were my worst fashion faux paux! Wearing plain white tops in general like. Went through wearing an all 'black' stage too, nothing like the goth look. Just plain black clothes trousers and hoodies etc not much for colour when I was younger but improved on that since, don't wear as much black on a daily basis only when going out or for certain occasions. The worst my mother use to dress me is tucking my clothes into my jeans or trousers hate that! So 80's or so old fashioned, never liked it even at the best of times, wouldn't tuck in a school shirt always had it out felt more comfortable that way! Some tracksuits and a few other embarassing type of clothes back from the 90's! A couple of hair cuts and styles I didn't like either. Certain shoes were hiddious now that I recall! Floral designs, mad pink t-shirts too, and better not to forget those cycling short types, have got rid of them at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

We had a teacher that always made you tuck your shirt into your pants but that was just when leggings and tunic tops were really big in the late 80's and he made me tuck my top into my leggings.

I cried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I had the usual, those horrible tracksuits, bandanas, ballball hats, wooly jumpers, dungereeeeee shorts and the socks pulled up!... and to top it off curly hair thats been brushed!! :eek: ginger fro! Thanks Mam!

But of course it didnt get any better when i could finally dress myself, baggy clothes, dirty old check shirts, always had my hair tied back and straightened, also got highlights done once (not good!!!) dyed my hair black, actually dyed my hair every colour under the sun, loads of eyeliner. my opinion in those days was that baggy trousers were the only kinda bottoms anyone can wear, and that all skirts should have been removed from fashion!

nowadays, i love dresses! :D although i still secretly LOVE baggy trousers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I had a hand me down turquoise shell suit and I thought I was the bees knees at the time. I also used wear a lot of leggings with over sized t shirts, the shame now! Luckily I was a teen from 2001-2008, so looking back those pictures aren't so bad, a LOT of black eyeliner and black clothes and also a lot of Susst and Nope clothes so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Those leggings that had the stirrup at the bottom that would go under your foot.
    Those jelly sandals made of glittery plastic.
    Inflatable bubble bags.
    Puffer jackets.
    And of course, Spice Girl t shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Oh i forgot to mention the dreaded Spaceman coat! anyone else have one??
    appaman-puffer-jacket-silver-both-med.jpg

theres a few people at home who still laugh at myself and my cousin cause we had them! i hated it, horrible looking yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Anyone remember these shoes? I had a pair in purple suede, they were my FAVOURITE thing, I totally forgot about them!

big_shoes_d_creeper_402.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I went through the whole rocker chick look, I dyed my hair black with red and blue highlights and got loads of piercings including my lip which I am sad I took out :( I don't think I looked bad besides the heavy eyeliner but I prefer the way I am now even though I am still a little rock chick inside. I still like to wear a skirt with fishnets and docs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

What springs to mind for me is those boot runners where I used to change the shoe laces to a mad turquoise colour and try make the "tongue" of the runner stick out and wear a mad coloured pair of slouchy socks underneath.
    Ohhh and Jelly sandals/shoes, Naff Jackets, and those cotton dresses/tshirts with a fringed edging on the sleeves and along the bottom that would be brought back as presents from holidays in Spain or the Canaries.

I also loved getting t shirts done with those iron on prints but it always came off in the wash.

Advertisement