Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead Episode Discussion - SPOILERS ABOUND!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Same, but I was really hoping carol would be less weak during that conversation and was really hoping shed come out with a really strong comeback, but she didnt , I suppose its more realistic. Daryls really mean recently, I felt really sorry for carol there, daryl was very cruel:(

give daryl some leeway, he is hurting alot over not being able to safe sophia. He let himself get involved and worry about her, more so then he probably has in sometime and he got hurt. At the moment his emotions are on lockdown, so he is keeping people at a distance, whether they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭bb1234567

phill106 wrote: »
    give daryl some leeway, he is hurting alot over not being able to safe sophia. He let himself get involved and worry about her, more so then he probably has in sometime and he got hurt. At the moment his emotions are on lockdown, so he is keeping people at a distance, whether they like it or not.
    ah I dont know, I just thought he was being overly cruel to carol no matter how sad hes feeling shes obviously feeling atleast as bad or worse, he just went ott saying she ''had no child,no husband ,she was nobody anymore'' or something along those lines.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

What about his brother? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Barna77 wrote: »

If his brother ever returns, it will be epic!
    I imagine single handedly (see what i did there....) leading a gang of zombie killing bikers, taking what they want and who they want...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

did anyone not cop him mentioning his father, something like you're not my father or along those lines, theirs something we don't know with Daryl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Barna77 wrote: »

I'd imagine there's a decent chance that Merl is the leader of this other group of people, especially seeing as how he made a brief appearance earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I'd imagine there's a decent chance that Merl is the leader of this other group of people, especially seeing as how he made a brief appearance earlier in the season.

Admittedly that was a hallucination. It was actually a walker eating Deryl's boot. :pac:
    Also loved when Lori was like we hadn't the talk with Carl.

Yeah and when he popped up out of nowhere when Shane let the baby news out. I tell you, Shane has the tact of a bull in a fine china shop. :D
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    Same, but I was really hoping carol would be less weak during that conversation and was really hoping shed come out with a really strong comeback, but she didnt , I suppose its more realistic. Daryls really mean recently, I felt really sorry for carol there, daryl was very cruel:(

He was a complete bastard too her but it's obvious that losing Sophia is hurting Daryl at least as much as Carol.

---

I really loved that episode, although I had to put my popcorn aside for a few minutes when we got a close up of that walker ripping the guy's face off. :eek:

And the close up of the walker trying to get into Lori's car. I have to hand it to TWD's team, they can really make a convincing zombie.

Can't wait for the next episode after that ending, with Lori manipulating Rick into a showdown with Shane. How will that turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    He was a complete bastard too her but it's obvious that losing Sophia is hurting Daryl at least as much as Carol.

I think he's punishing himself for letting Carol down. He believed he'd find Sophia, and he was very supportive towards Carol about that, like when he gave her the flower and told her that story. So I think he's mad at himself for not being able to follow through and bring Sophia back to her safely. (On a side note, I got my Daryl action figure yesterday. He came with dead squirrels. :D)
    I really loved that episode, although I had to put my popcorn aside for a few minutes when we got a close up of that walker ripping the guy's face off. :eek:

You aren't the only one. Any other close up would have been fine, but the face is awful. Ouch.

Can't wait for the next episode after that ending, with Lori manipulating Rick into a showdown with Shane. How will that turn out?

She is manipulative. The way she was there, the look in her eyes and her tone of voice...she could have, and should have, dealt with Shane in a nicer way than she's done so far, but the way she is going about this makes you wonder if Shane isn't right about some of the stuff he said about them and instead of admitting it, she sets him up to possibly die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

watched last nights episode and it was better than the week before but still could have been better. there were a few tense moments in it but you could write an essay with all the holes that are in each episode! my main complaint woule be how slow the series is progressing.

Anyway I have two interesting points which may be spoiler alerts.
    1) when shane and rick were dropping off the yound fella with the sore leg theyu came accross two security guards who were zombies. They killed these and shane examined them and notices they had no bite marks. rick notices some scrapes on one of their faces. I wonder is this significant and could it relate to what the scientist whispered in rcks ear before he blew himslef up?
    2) secondly when rick and shane were driving and coming back from dropping off the fella with the sore leg shane noticed a walker walking accross a field. Thsi is a bit bizare to me, i mean why have him in there if it means nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

might just be symbolism.
    Spoilered this just incase, it's only theory but still :)
    At the beginning the field zombie was near the trees at the far end of the field. The second time you see him he was in the centre of the field.

He'd Definetly moved anyway. If the zombies do gravitate towards aural and visual stimulus, that could mean they have a range and a shutoff point. So with the car moving past the field at lets say 8am - the zombie moves halfway across teh field until it can no longer see/hear/smell it - stops dead (hah!) and waits.
    Sees the car again at 5pm, starts moving again and presumably stops when it's no longer able to sense movement.

Something like that could make travel and scavenging extremely dangerous.

• Advertisement

Admittedly that was a hallucination. It was actually a walker eating Deryl's boot. :pac:

I was more thinking that they were foreshadowing his eventual return...
    viztopia wrote: »
    Anyway I have two interesting points which may be spoiler alerts.
    1) when shane and rick were dropping off the yound fella with the sore leg theyu came accross two security guards who were zombies. They killed these and shane examined them and notices they had no bite marks. rick notices some scrapes on one of their faces. I wonder is this significant and could it relate to what the scientist whispered in rcks ear before he blew himslef up?

The theory abounds that the scientist told Rick that people who die of natural causes will come back as zombies and that's why there is no hope left.
    2) secondly when rick and shane were driving and coming back from dropping off the fella with the sore leg shane noticed a walker walking accross a field. Thsi is a bit bizare to me, i mean why have him in there if it means nothing?

might just be symbolism.
    Spoilered this just incase, it's only theory but still :)
    At the beginning the field zombie was near the trees at the far end of the field. The second time you see him he was in the centre of the field.

He'd Definetly moved anyway. If the zombies do gravitate towards aural and visual stimulus, that could mean they have a range and a shutoff point. So with the car moving past the field at lets say 8am - the zombie moves halfway across teh field until it can no longer see/hear/smell it - stops dead (hah!) and waits.
    Sees the car again at 5pm, starts moving again and presumably stops when it's no longer able to sense movement.

Something like that could make travel and scavenging extremely dangerous.

Tbh, I reckon this was just supposed to show Shane how things would be if he were to betray Rick. When they're driving out, he sees a lone walker moving slowly away from the trees. This draws a parallel with how he feels isolated from the group. On the way back, the same walker is out in the open with nothing around him and shows Shane how truly alone he could come to be. I think it was an artistic point more than a plot device.

makes sense to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

viztopia wrote: »
    They are driving back, but the walker is on the same side of the road? Meaning, on Shane's side... :confused:

Anyway, good episode. and high time someone told Lori a few things. An episode where self-righteous Dale could preach non-stop... and nowhere to be seen :D

And noticed a pink/live flesh coloured arm again, not very dead-like. Are they running out of make up? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

'If you want to kill me you'd need to do better than a wrench'

Rick and Shame (finally) come to blows.

It would have made more sense for new boy to let everyone know that he knew Maggie. Is he a character for keeps? I thought Andrea was right. Lori is starting to annoy me, she really is becoming a queen bee. Tasks don't have to go along the gender line.

Plenty of zombies but spare enough on human characters. I loved how the show almost teased the audience with the centre of public works looking similar to a prison with the bus and chain link fence.

Needs more Daryl!

Needs more Daryl!

QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Tbh, I reckon this was just supposed to show Shane how things would be if he were to betray Rick. When they're driving out, he sees a lone walker moving slowly away from the trees. This draws a parallel with how he feels isolated from the group. On the way back, the same walker is out in the open with nothing around him and shows Shane how truly alone he could come to be. I think it was an artistic point more than a plot device.

I'd go along with this. It shows the walker as aimless and maybe going around in circles which is how Shane might be without Rick and the group.

Hopefully this marks the end of the evil stares and long dialogues about Shane's motives and Lori and Shane's past. Enjoyed this weeks episode, I enjoy every episode in all honesty but this more than the last few, it had a bit more action and walkers. Starting to dislike Lori like a lot of people. Andrea put it up to her though.
    It will be interesting to see what they do with the kid from the other group now.And on an unrelated note, the actor who plays Hershel must have been given the day off considering no-one could find him for the first half of the episode and then he was just mentioned in passing when Maggie said he was stitching the other daughters wrist, weird!

batm!ke wrote: »
    I'd go along with this. It shows the walker as aimless and maybe going around in circles which is how Shane might be without Rick and the group.

Hopefully this marks the end of the evil stares and long dialogues about Shane's motives and Lori and Shane's past.

Agreed. They should abandon that angle completely now, there's nothing left in it.
    It will be interesting to see what they do with the kid from the other group now.And on an unrelated note, the actor who plays Hershel must have been given the day off considering no-one could find him for the first half of the episode and then he was just mentioned in passing when Maggie said he was stitching the other daughters wrist, weird!

I'd say that was a budget thing. Daryl, T-dog and others were also competely absent. The top few actors are probably on a wage with the rest of the cast being paid by the day or something. Stupid ABC...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One thing that annoyed me about that episode was how easy it was for them to stab zombies in the head. Rick put that knife in the walker like his head was made of butter. It wouldn't be as easy to put a knife into a rotten piece of fruit never mind through an impact resistant skull bone. It would in fact be next to impossible to get a knife through a human skull, the knife would deflect off most of the time. Hollywood short cut.

i dunno, short blade like it was, and the force of a good solid punch behind it could easily pierce skull bone. Though the front of the skull is probably the worst place to do that.
    Which brings up another problem, the size of the knife and the damage it could do once it's penetrated the skull. Would it be enough to damage the Zombie into death. If i recall from the Jenner lab, the disease/infection/virus was mainly active in the centre of the brain, the rest was just infected tissue. I dont know enough about the brain to actually know what i'm talking about here.. but Rick effectivly gave him a lobotomy.. which ye know.. he kind of already had, being a zombie! :D

Wouldnt the temples and base of the skull be the the lowest bone density and easiest ways of err.. braining a zombie?

Nah, I'm not buying it, I don't think it could be done by a person. The only way of penetrating the brain with a knife would probably be where the brain meets the spine.

Bones are hard, and worse yet flexible. That makes them extremely good at absorbing any kind of impact. As far as I know most brain damage from impacts are due to the brain rattling around inside the skull and not from an actual cracked skull.

I'd agree that hitting the front of the brain couldn't be a guarantee of a kill, like you say, that bits already defunct.

• Advertisement

anyone got a pig's head and a nifty knife like rick's so we can test this out? haha

I'll defer to your judgement on that one man, however.. they do have the right idea about using a silent weapon rather than a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

brings up the question of calcification. Living bone is actally quite soft and supple but dead bone calcifies quickly and become very hard. Would zombie bone calcify or remain 'alive'?

that'd require a working pumping/beating heart, which they dont have..

Hmm, yeah ye's could be right on that, being too tough to get a small knife through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

My observations of "18 miles out"

Rick gets more balls with every episode.
    Shane takes his baseball cap off and scratches his head another 100 times.
    Hershal...Old man starting to see the big picture..good.
    Lori gets more annoying and her moral high ground is giving me a nosebleed.
    Andrea.... meh..whatever.
    Dale.... his RV could do with a clean out...yawn.
    Glenn....get some nuts.
    Carl... Needs to get shot again.
    Daryl...Really want him to get back involved...bad ass.
    Maggie... Needs to get naked and ditch pussy boy.
    Carol...T-dog keep boring me also.

But...... I f*****g love this show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Rick gets more balls with every episode.

True that, it actually only dawned on me the other day that he was actually going to leave Shane behind in the bus, now that was badass. It showed an even more ruthless streak than previously thought.

I know what you're saying about the peripheral characters sparrowcar, they can be meh, but likewise love the show. A lot of people like knocking it since it slowed down but I think that makes the walker scenes that bit more tense and exciting. I'd hate for them all to get to a point where it was like "a walker, oh no", *pulls out gun and scores a perfect headshot every time* and walkers just didn't seem, like much of a threat.

Obviously we all want them to get off the farm, and they will, but in the meantime I'm happy to have a mostly well acted, well scripted, well shot and zombie centric show on TV and have it be successful which means more chance of being picked up every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

True that, it actually only dawned on me the other day that he was actually going to leave Shane behind in the bus, now that was badass. It showed an even more ruthless streak than previously thought.

I know what you're saying about the peripheral characters sparrowcar, they can be meh, but likewise love the show. A lot of people like knocking it since it slowed down but I think that makes the walker scenes that bit more tense and exciting. I'd hate for them all to get to a point where it was like "a walker, oh no", *pulls out gun and scores a perfect headshot every time* and walkers just didn't seem, like much of a threat.

Obviously we all want them to get off the farm, and they will, but in the meantime I'm happy to have a mostly well acted, well scripted, well shot and zombie centric show on TV and have it be successful which means more chance of being picked up every year!

Couldn't agree more.
    Would hate if a wasn't on the edge of my seat anymore.

Ricks character is going to change, he's still fairly new to all this. Everyone is about a month ahead of him in experience aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

There are some good spoilers on the IMDb website!

dont tempt me, please. I've no willpower against spoilers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I enjoyed last nights episode
    It had the right mix of the undead and the day to day of trying to live a 'normal' life
    I totally got the feeling that Shane saw himself as the loner if he was to split from the group
    I think the lad from the other group is a goner though

Advertisement