Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic not seeing Irish channels again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

I have a TXL37G10B and haven't done a rescan - just checked and everything is working fine. If I back up the file, do others want a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Apogee wrote: »
    If you read back through the long thread on Panasonic Freesat TVs, I think you'll find that trying to use files from different models didn't always work, in particular from LCD to Plasma models. Also, the Irish models won't have satellite but the UK ones will, but worth try I guess. Potentially you could feck up the TV, but it's more likely it simply will refuse to load the file. I would be inclined to try the file from a G20B and see if it would upload to a G10B.

Fair enough. In my case its a PZ81B sitting in my parents house. I had switched off auto-update so they still have the channels that were available before the latest bit toggling went down. So they're missing TV3 i guess.

I was just wondering if it would be possible for someone to compare the backups of an irish and uk set, and somehow modify the uk file so that it can "read in" the new channels. How and what that file could be edited with is anyone's guess though - i certainly don't have the know how. Presumably it's all binary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

back it up and open it on a pc using notepad or xml notepad if you have that , if it is 'in the clear' it is editable and if gobble it is binary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    back it up and open it on a pc using notepad or xml notepad if you have that , if it is 'in the clear' it is editable and if gobble it is binary.

The svl.db is in binary as opening it in Notepad gives me a load of gobbledygook, almost like Chinese Characters. Incidently I rang Panasonic today to complain and was only told to email them instead, for a supposed high end make they really have bad customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Anyboby have any idea what might happen if one downloaded a software update from the Panasonic site for a UK model onto an SD card & tried to the UK update onto an Ireland model? i.e. update for D25B onto D25L.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    The svl.db is in binary as opening it in Notepad gives me a load of gobbledygook, almost like Chinese Characters. Incidently I rang Panasonic today to complain and was only told to email them instead, for a supposed high end make they really have bad customer service.

Yeah, had a look at the files. It's a heady mix of HEX, Japanese and Chinese characters. Would be a pretty big gamble trying to edit that stuff even after doing file compares between UK and irish sets.
    What a bore eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Anyboby have any idea what might happen if one downloaded a software update from the Panasonic site for a UK model onto an SD card & tried to the UK update onto an Ireland model? i.e. update for D25B onto D25L.

I'm pretty sure any firmware updates are done via the CAM slot so you'll need a PCMCIA card with some form of memory card in it. I have a TX-28DTX10 CRT and I did a firmware upgrade a few years ago this way.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

WHL wrote: »
    I have a TXL37G10B and haven't done a rescan - just checked and everything is working fine. If I back up the file, do others want a copy

That's an Lcd you have ?

I lost the Irish channels on the DTV after a rescan a few days ago,whether the settings from yours would work on a TX-P50 G10B ?

Yes - mine is an LCD. Not sure if it would work on yours but I will save a copy tomorrow and see if I can add the file as an attachment

I take it that all the affected Panasonics were bought up north or from Pixmania and the like and not sold in a shop here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

richer sounds so yeah NI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I've saved the files for the tx-32lzd81 for Three Rock, if anyone needs them...

TheDriver wrote: »
    richer sounds so yeah NI

Seamus Watters of http://www.watterselectrical.co.uk/ a better bet. Has Plasma and LCD G20B's in stock - L37 at stg£675 or P42 at stg£700. Both include 5 year warranty and delivery to Dublin at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 yel

I have a 32" zd81 and living in Portlaoise. For the last couple of months I have no sound on RTE1, RTE2 and TG4. No issue with the rest of the stations. Since TV3 came on this too has no sound.
    I get around this buy using the remote and pressing the "option" button and then changing the Multi Audio from "nar" to "eng" or "iri"

Each time I change a station (RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4) I have to do this. Its such a pain. Any suggestions??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

yel wrote: »
    I have a 32" zd81 and living in Portlaoise. For the last couple of months I have no sound on RTE1, RTE2 and TG4. No issue with the rest of the stations. Since TV3 came on this too has no sound.
    I get around this buy using the remote and pressing the "option" button and then changing the Multi Audio from "nar" to "eng" or "iri"

Each time I change a station (RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4) I have to do this. Its such a pain. Any suggestions??
    Thanks

I had a similar issue on my Panasonic ..

There is a menu under the option function called "Audio Description" ..
    When I turned it to OFF, the sound is now working on "eng" channel automatically on RTE 1 AND RTE 2 , but not on TV3 and TG4 ...
    Hopefully this works for you as well ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I take it that all the affected Panasonics were bought up north or from Pixmania and the like and not sold in a shop here.

Bought and being used in Fermanagh. Was absolutely fine with all the freeview channels and the irish ones in the 800's until they disappeared the other day.

Will never ever buy panasonic again!

Panasonic UK should fix that with firmware , it is reasonable for a Fermanagh person to watch both RTE and BBC off the air :)

OK. I have placed the SD card in the TV and copied the files. the hotel.pwd file is on the card but is 0kB and seems to be blank when I open with Notepad

I now also have a folder called hotel_setup which contains 4 files,
    fake_eeprom (file - 15 KB)
    model_id (info - 1KB)
    OK (file - 0 KB)
    svl.db (database file - 262 kB)

Am I on the right track. Is it the hotel_setup folder that I allow other people to use and is there any issue with the Mods if I attach this to a post here.

OK. I have placed the SD card in the TV and copied the files. the hotel.pwd file is on the card but is 0kB and seems to be blank when I open with Notepad

I now also have a folder called hotel_setup which contains 4 files,
    fake_eeprom (file - 15 KB)
    model_id (info - 1KB)
    OK (file - 0 KB)
    svl.db (database file - 262 kB)

Am I on the right track. Is it the hotel_setup folder that I allow other people to use and is there any issue with the Mods if I attach this to a post here.

Yes they are the correct files. I've seen people upload their backups to this forum before so i'm sure it's within the rules. You'll be helping anyone with the same set who rescanned and lost their channels/

I'm sure it must be allowed since it is your own private data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

bob11 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue on my Panasonic ..

There is a menu under the option function called "Audio Description" ..
    When I turned it to OFF, the sound is now working on "eng" channel automatically on RTE 1 AND RTE 2 , but not on TV3 and TG4 ...
    Hopefully this works for you as well ..

there is no audio description on my tv (z81) :(

I am attaching my data files for the TXL37G10B. I hope that it is of use to somebody

I've just setup my TX-L37G20B. Scanned - I've got all my Saorview Channels, Radio Stations and all the Freesat stations so everything is as I hoped. And no sound issues as expected too. And as for MHEG-5 - it's fab

C

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AvidIrishReader

championc wrote: »
    I've just setup my TX-L37G20B. Scanned - I've got all my Saorview Channels, Radio Stations and all the Freesat stations so everything is as I hoped. And no sound issues as expected too. And as for MHEG-5 - it's fab

C

Folks, half of this chat is way over my head, but I too have a TXL32G1B that I bought last January from Seamus Watters.

I've had the sound issues with TV3 and TG4 on the digital/DVB setup - it came and went (so I watched them on analogue).

However, more worrying, on Saturday night last I got the automatic message saying 'found new channels'. When the process was complete, all I had on the digital were the 10 RTE radio channels and no television channels.

I see some people mention Firmware and Panasonic, but if there's anything I can do myself to resolve this, I'm all ears.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Folks, half of this chat is way over my head, but I too have a TXL32G1B that I bought last January from Seamus Watters.

I've had the sound issues with TV3 and TG4 on the digital/DVB setup - it came and went (so I watched them on analogue).

However, more worrying, on Saturday night last I got the automatic message saying 'found new channels'. When the process was complete, all I had on the digital were the 10 RTE radio channels and no television channels.

I see some people mention Firmware and Panasonic, but if there's anything I can do myself to resolve this, I'm all ears.

Thanks

You have a G10B ?

Well then you are the lucky one, you dont have to load a hotel file. You can follow a hack that allows you to temporarily turn your G10B into the European model in order to succesfully scan for the Irish DTT stations and then revert back to your initial settings.

Read this thread and follow the instructions carefully. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079528

I would point out that this hack was not offered by Panasonic - they have offered nothing to Irish consumers for their deliberately crippled firmware. This hack only exists because somebody in the UK discovered they have been shipping the same units with various firmwares inside that limits its capabilities. This allows the same unit be shipped under different model names at different costs to the consumer. Questionable marketing to say the least, in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

STB wrote: »
    This hack only exists because somebody in the UK discovered they have been shipping the same units with various firmwares inside that limits its capabilities. This allows the same unit be shipped under different model names at different costs to the consumer.

Not quite right. The whole hack idea is based at the german HiFi-forum. The germans killed a dozend TV's befor all things were clear. Hodg got a lot of questions answered in the HiFi-forum before he imported the idea to the Uk and wrote a tut in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Not sure if this is mentioned here already, but it seems that the RTENL Test Transmission channel (showing a testcard in SD) now has the old service type flag, so that's the only TV channel that shows up on the certain Panasonic models.

Getting close to an amnesty are we ???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or else it will have an announcement explaining why the other channels don't work!

When they get 2nd Mux they could even explain what's missing via MPEG2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

watty wrote: »
    Or else it will have an announcement explaining why the other channels don't work!

When they get 2nd Mux they could even explain what's missing via MPEG2 :)

I think RTENL should do an MPEG2 information channel for Saorview with all the info on it and broadcast it out all over, similiar to Sky's info channels on their satellite system.

Advertisement