Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic not seeing Irish channels again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They can't right now. Not enough space
    unless it is very low quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »

They have 3 spare muxes almost nationwide :)

I did say they could when 2nd mux is running

I'd think the 3rd and 4th are not getting kitted nationwide :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Could they run it instead of the RTENL test channel?

MPEG2 takes x2 to x3 the space of MPEG4. Such an RTENL info channel would thus be space of two channels. Unless it was like a slide show.

• Advertisement

Currys highlighting the Panasonic "42PT20B" (sic) 3D Plasma in their latest brochure. I does get worried when I see a "B" at the end.

They advise it is "MPEG2 perfect" Sky and UPC compatible....which it is of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Stinicker wrote: »
    I think RTENL should do an MPEG2 information channel for Saorview with all the info on it and broadcast it out all over, similiar to Sky's info channels on their satellite system.
    The least they could do is explain on their site and on the Saorview site why some types of kit were able to receive the channels, and now cannot.

550+ a day now reading this one http://www.saortv.info/

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Currys highlighting the Panasonic "42PT20B" (sic) 3D Plasma in their latest brochure. I does get worried when I see a "B" at the end.

They advise it is "MPEG2 perfect" Sky and UPC compatible....which it is of course :)

Sky & UPC don't use the TV's MPEG2 decoder. HDMI is raw.

So that's a nonsense claim.

Besides UPC and Sky HD is MPEG4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sykkes1

Anyone got a backup file for TX-P42V10B? Based in Skerries. This Panasonic thing is becoming a real pain. thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

550+ a day now reading this one http://www.saortv.info/
    Saw your BLACK LIST. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I have a TXP42G20, bought from Northern Ireland a few months ago.
    The new channel dialogue box appeared a few weeks ago but I only
    dealt with it tonight.
    After backing up my channels, just in case, I rescanned and it found
    all the channels it was supposed to.
    I now have TV3 and 3E in addition to the RTE and radio channels so it looks like this model works with the new flag.
    Happy days. Hope this is of help.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I just "updated Channel list" on my Panasonic TX-P50G10B UK FREESAT model and it while it tunes in the Saorview Radio channels it fails to notice the TV channels now.

Don't retune your Freesat Panasonic tv sets or you will lose the tv channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

My pinch of salt here: Panny TX-L42D25L (Ireland Model), no problem with any Saorview changes introduced lately. All channels showing with the correct flag i.e. RTÉ TWO channel 2 carries HDTV flag, RTÉ TWO (SD) channel 7 RTÉNL Test all coming thru' fine. If Panasonic would only get the finger out & sort out the Ireland models & MHEG5. Would I recommend Panasonic? tough question, my TV offers a great picture+DNLA (which is great), Freesat & DTT but as it isn't full Soarview spec, I stand 50-50 on the Panny thing, but at least at the moment it's not a brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

My pinch of salt here: Panny TX-L42D25L (Ireland Model), no problem with any Saorview changes introduced lately. All channels showing with the correct flag i.e. RTÉ TWO channel 2 carries HDTV flag, RTÉ TWO (SD) channel 7 RTÉNL Test all coming thru' fine. If Panasonic would only get the finger out & sort out the Ireland models & MHEG5. Would I recommend Panasonic? tough question, my TV offers a great picture+DNLA (which is great), Freesat & DTT but as it isn't full Soarview spec, I stand 50-50 on the Panny thing, but at least at the moment it's not a brick.

Hi,
    I was thinking of buying that model. Does it have the Freesat EPG (i.e. 7 days with a number of categories)? Does it automatically update if UK Satellite channels change or move?
    Is it the same as the UK D25B model?

Thanks.

steveq wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was thinking of buying that model. Does it have the Freesat EPG (i.e. 7 days with a number of categories)? Does it automatically update if UK Satellite channels change or move?

Thanks.

Hi. The D25L will give you "now & next" in the EPG for freesat, full 7 day EPG for Saorview. In both DTT & Freesat modes the TV will notify that new channels are available & requests user to rescan to update channel listing. In Freesat mode new & updated channels are added to the end of the EPG which can then be repositioned as required by user.
    My understanding is that the D25L & D25B are the same but running different software. The result of this is that the D25B will offer you 7 day EPG in Freesat mode & also it will give you MHEG5 digital text & TV guide which the D25L can't. All told it's got the best picture I've seen on an LCD (after calibration), it also has many other features which I make good use of. I use the Media server function quite a lot, this allows me to stream photos & video directly from my laptop via WiFi. USB ports also allow pics & video via USB stick. Viera Cast is also regularly used, for weather & sports updates.
    If you have any further questions you can send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

steveq wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

Would highly recommend a G20B to be honest. Everything working great - just whack in a UK postcode and you're away.

C

championc wrote: »
    Would highly recommend a G20B to be honest. Everything working great - just whack in a UK postcode and you're away.

C
    Yep, I totally agree. The G20B is a better TV, but I couldn't find a "bricks & mortar" retailer in Ireland that would ship to Kerry. I wanted to use an Irish retailer should I have any problems down the road & needed for return or repair, hence my reluctance with an online purchase for such a high ticket item.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Promis

Are the Service type flags still changed to 0x16 for SD and 0x19 for HD? I have just successfully re-scanned my Panasonic 42V20B. The station names changed and have RTE Two Temp. Have Panasonic started to react to the Boards concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Promis wrote: »
    Are the Service type flags still changed to 0x16 for SD and 0x19 for HD? I have just successfully re-scanned my Panasonic 42V20B. The station names changed and have RTE Two Temp. Have Panasonic started to react to the Boards concerns?
    As of 14:00 I can confirm that the Advanced Codec flag is set for all TV channels and RTE Two (main) is set to 0x19 (dec. 25).

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Yep, I totally agree. The G20B is a better TV, but I couldn't find a "bricks & mortar" retailer in Ireland that would ship to Kerry. I wanted to use an Irish retailer should I have any problems down the road & needed for return or repair, hence my reluctance with an online purchase for such a high ticket item.

Try Seamus watters or Richer sounds up north - not sure if they deliver to Kerry but I got my G20B from SW an got the 5 year warranty from panasonic no problem....

• Advertisement

Re Panny D25L. As the UK is not available as a country option in set up, can anyone confirm if they have MHEG5 by using any other country setting rather than Ireland, or is the D25B England model the only one with MHEG5 enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

I think Seamus Watters (watterselectrical - Tel: 048 308 68296) was prepared to ship anywhere in Ireland. Obviously, it's a safer bet to have LCD's rather than Plasma's shipped. I think Richersounds will also ship LCD's anywhere in the country but won't ship plasmas. RS have their own section here on Boards.ie

C

championc wrote: »
    I think Richersounds will also ship LCD's anywhere in the country but won't ship plasmas. RS have their own section here on Boards.ie

Richer Sounds will not ship ANY PANASONIC DOWN SOUTH which is very good of them given the mind boggling number of issues with Panasonic software and the lack of any new software to fix it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69318244&postcount=2
    "In particular on Panasonic we no longer ship ANY Panasonic TV into the ROI due to the VHF/MPEG4 issue - as you will see from our posts over the past several years we have been alerting ROI Customers to the issue with UK Spec Panas."

The VHF issue is largely a non issue now that DTT is live on the VHF transmitters ( on UHF ) but again they are doing the right thing.

Now if some of their competitors were as principled we would have a much quieter forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

fat-tony wrote: »
    As of 14:00 I can confirm that the Advanced Codec flag is set for all TV channels and RTE Two (main) is set to 0x19 (dec. 25).

Tony, Does that mean it's ok to scan the dodgy panasonic TVs now ?

Or does that mean if I scan now, I will only get the RTE Two Main channel ?

It means a test channel called RTE Temp is all you get and that only shows a test card. The dodgy Panasonic is still dodgy.

See my "Amnesty" thread and contact RTENL about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

bob11 wrote: »
    Tony, Does that mean it's ok to scan the dodgy panasonic TVs now ?

Or does that mean if I scan now, I will only get the RTE Two Main channel ?
    No no - I was just confirming that the flags are still set for advanced codec, including RTE Two Temporary Channel. Sponge Bob - don't know why you think RTE Two Temp is ok for the troubled Panasonics? It's just not in HD resolution - otherwise it's the same as all the other SD channels.

All that is on RTE2 Temp is a message saying Your TV is crap get another one or a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AvidIrishReader

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Richer Sounds will not ship ANY PANASONIC DOWN SOUTH which is very good of them given the mind boggling number of issues with Panasonic software and the lack of any new software to fix it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69318244&postcount=2

The VHF issue is largely a non issue now that DTT is live on the VHF transmitters ( on UHF ) but again they are doing the right thing.

Now if some of their competitors were as principled we would have a much quieter forum :)

Lads, you are all obviously more gifted than I am at going into the setup and reprogamming, saving to SD cards, etc. I'm but a humble joe.

Anyway, I bought a MaxT2 digital terrestrial decoder box from Satworld in Kimmage, Dublin. Now I have all TV channels back, but I have so many control boxes it's a real pain. I've connected it through one of the HDMI ports, but have lost the nice and easy Freesat/Digital/Analogue switching option that was so handy with the Panasonic.

I would never have bought this TV if I knew the problems I would encounter, and I bought this from Seamus Watters Electrical who categorically assured me that I could watch Irish channels in digital with no issue when analogue was closed off. I've emailed them, tried to call them, but no one will return my calls.

I think letters to the relevant regulatory bodies in Belfast and Dublin are now in order.

And all I wanted was to watch the telly without having to pay UPC.....

I would never have bought this TV if I knew the problems I would encounter, and I bought this from Seamus Watters Electrical who categorically assured me that I could watch Irish channels in digital with no issue when analogue was closed off. I've emailed them, tried to call them, but no one will return my calls.

I think letters to the relevant regulatory bodies in Belfast and Dublin are now in order.

Then if he sold it you less than 2 years ago he is obliged to replace or refund (his choice).
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

Because of the Bold part.

• Advertisement

Then if he sold it you less than 2 years ago he is obliged to replace or refund (his choice).
    Of threaten the UK small claims court on him...not ours.

Advertisement