Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€6,000,000,000.00 in Budget cuts tba today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think they're talking about annual road tax and not VRT.

Ah, right. Thread read fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:confused:

what do tax rates and pay rates have to do with each other.
    anyway pay agreements are done on gross pay not net pay, a public service tax band would be a good way to get around not lowering wages...
    I thought it was a reasonable question to ask no? Income tax affects gross pay hence, an increase in income tax = decrease in gross pay therefore decrease in net pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

anniehoo wrote: »
    I thought it was a reasonable question to ask no? Income tax affects gross pay hence, an increase in income tax = decrease in gross pay therefore decrease in net pay.

Income tax is applied to the Gross so their Gross pay would remain the same. It's the Net, take home pay, that would decrease with the increased tax.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

This Co2 based motor tax backfired quite a bit i would say.
    Too many cars out there that fall in the cheaper tax.

And with motortax being something holy in this country, people driving underpowered cars so they can save €100 a year on motor tax in the past, the governement only sees low Co2 cars being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

pmcmahon wrote: »
    ask somebody to press the magic button that puts us back to zero

Windows
    ...All Programs
    ...Accessories
    ...System Tools
    ...System restore

If only it was so easy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Windows
    ...All Programs
    ...Accessories
    ...System Tools
    ...System restore

If only it was so easy

you forgot to delete system32 to make sure it can never happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

anniehoo wrote: »

oh dear

income tax does not effect gross pay in the slightest*

*except for structuring gross pay for tax avoidance purposes, but that's not something the average person can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Over in Germany Der Spiegel had this headline two days ago: 'Financial markets bet on collapse of Ireland'

The IMF doesn't sound as bad as everybody makes out. After all, didn't they bail Britain out in 1976, something which most people appear not to be aware of. See also, The IMF crisis of 1976 and British politics

Personally, if the huge perks and salaries of our great leaders in all fields were removed and the economy made more efficient that would stand to us in the long run. The entire native Irish political class, of all parties, needs to be punished. I don't expect Labour and Fine Gael to be willing to do that either. Fianna Fáil has nothing left to lose, but it won't make the necessary changes to the privileges of those within its patronage system.

For instance, the only former taoiseach of Ireland who genuinely needs armed gardaí is Patrick Bartholomew Ahern. It's a nonsense that the rest receive such protection. The multiple pensions and enormous "golden handshakes" given to Irish politicians and Irish civil servants are not going to be ended by Irish politicians and Irish civil servants. Duh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why can't public sector pay be hit when the money we're borrowing is going to pay them? I'm in the private sector, my pay has been hit twice already. Can I be exempt from this budget too?

Only twice??

You private sector people dont know you're born.

Bet you dont pay the pension levy either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Degsy wrote: »
    Only twice??

What's a pension ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

pmcmahon wrote: »
    you forgot to delete system32 to make sure it can never happen again

I did enough, let some another government person do it, ive more important things i could be neglecting.

Any one wanna go to Galway for the night ?? Ive no work in the morning, only a few meetings and stuff.

Morlar wrote: »
    What's a pension ?

Its what you get when you're older if you squirrel money away instead of spending it all on drink.

Even if you dont bother to save,the govt will give you a state pension which you will get without having to contribute to it.

Now see my contribution is compulsary,i dont have the option to spent the 6% on drink and the govt have decided to tax me at another 6% just for the pleasure of taking the money off me in the first place.

Everybody knows there's no more money to pay the pensions so a levy is a paycut by a different name.

Much like the dole..the people still working are paying for those that arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Rabies wrote: »
    Buckle up, gonna be a bumpy ride.

Thats what Mary Harneys husband said!!!
    Biggins wrote: »
    Up to now its been a bumpy ride.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Nice round number.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Gonna need some rope then to keep us on....

Rabies wrote: »
    That is where the clown comes in, helps to distract the rage :)

seamus wrote: »
    Who's got the lube?

Thats what Mary Harneys husband said..........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Its what you get when you're older if you squirrel money away instead of spending it all on drink.

Even if you dont bother to save,the govt will give you a state pension which you will get without having to contribute to it.

Now see my contribution is compulsary,i dont have the option to spent the 6% on drink and the govt have decided to tax me at another 6% just for the pleasure of taking the money off me in the first place.

Everybody knows there's no more money to pay the pensions so a levy is a paycut by a different name.

Much like the dole..the people still working are paying for those that arent.

DB pensions cost a fortune

Now see my contribution is compulsary,

Yep I have a pension - I was being sarcastic.

Many private sector PAYe workers however do not.

Your view of private sector workers who do not have pensions as 'squandering it on drink' is self justifying, delusional fantasy.

Oh, and both me and other private sector workers' contribution to cover the govt share of your public sector pension is also compulsory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

DonJose wrote: »
    Thats what Mary Harneys husband said..........
    Huston, I think we have a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would that be €6bn? Doesn't seem too bad.
    Social Welfare is about €20bn & the public sector wage bill is about €20bn. 10% off each is €4bn.

The PAYE tax credit is €1830. You get this simply because you're employed rather than being self-employed. Basically, if you decide to go out on your own and innovate, you get punished to the tune of €1,830 per year. This is because the government recognise that most of the electorate are PAYE workers so if you make it nice and sweet for them, they'll like you.

There are 2.2 million PAYE workers in this country. If you remove the PAYE tax credit, most of them will have to pay an additional €1,830 in tax every year.

2,200,000 * 1,830 = €4bn. OK, so you only need to halve the PAYE tax credit. Even better! Most of us can dig a tiny little bit deeper and hand over €80 a month next year for the good of the nation. Sure you'd spend that on a night out.

Yes, it means that the public sector get it a little bit harder than the rest, but it's horrifically bloated. Overall, everyone takes some pain, regardless of their circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

my contribution to YOUR pension is also compulsory...and i want it back.

I WANT IT BACK F'UCKING NOW :mad:

only messing degsy i only want half

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Huston, I think we have a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

seamus wrote: »
    Social Welfare is about €20bn & the public sector wage bill is about €20bn. 10% off each is €4bn.

option one please :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

oh dear

income tax does not effect gross pay in the slightest*

*except for structuring gross pay for tax avoidance purposes, but that's not something the average person can do.
    Sorry having a total ditzy day, yeh makes sense now :o;)

Oh, and both me and other private sector workers' contribution to cover the govt share of your public sector pension is also compulsory.

And i'm also paying to cover your state pension!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Why can't public sector pay be hit when the money we're borrowing is going to pay them? I'm in the private sector, my pay has been hit twice already. Can I be exempt from this budget too?

I vowed I would not get caught up in this sh!te again, but how many times do you think we have been hit? Or are you one of the guys who think we have not had any reductions?

All this crap I hear about me being over paid, is that crap. I supply a service that the public need and I studied for years and continue to do so, I also do some private work when I want and guess what I get paid more than with the HSE. I could decide to stop working with the HSE and earn more, much more in the past few years, but at the moment still more. I have never chased cash, I like working at the level I do in the HSE, but I supply a service and I'm entitled to be paid for it.

I'm lucky I can make up for the past cuts by doing some private work, others are not that lucky. I joined the HSE because I get to work with people who could not afford to pay for my service. However, I'm not going to apologise for being in a career that pays well.

And i'm also paying to cover your state pension!

That's a lame response and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Up to now its been a bumpy ride.
    The next ride after the details are announced in the Budget, will be like trying stay riding a lunatic, raving, erratic bullock!

Waaay too easy! More like this:

Only twice??

If it's so good in the private sector why don't you leave your current role and look for one in the private sector where you have to pay your own pension and your guaranteed not to come out with anything close to the retirement package a civil servant will get.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I vowed I would not get caught up in this sh!te again, but how many times do you think we have been hit? Or are you one of the guys who think we have not had any reductions?

All this crap I hear about me being over paid, is that crap. I supply a service that the public need and I studied for years and continue to do so, I also do some private work when I want and guess what I get paid more than with the HSE. I could decide to stop working with the HSE and earn more, much more in the past few years, but at the moment still more. I have never chased cash, I like working at the level I do in the HSE, but I supply a service and I'm entitled to be paid for it.

I'm lucky I can make up for the past cuts by doing some private work, others are not that lucky. I joined the HSE because I get to work with people who could not afford to pay for my service. However, I'm not going to apologise for being in a career that pays well.

I never said you didn't get hit with reductions and I never said you were over paid but the fact remains THE COUNTRY CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY YOU what part of that is so hard to understand? In the private sector if your employer can't afford to pay your wage there's 2 options. 1. You lose your job or 2. They cut wages until they can afford to pay everyone.

The govt have now confirmed it is €6,000,000,000.00 for 2010.
    http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-confirms-6bn-budget-cuts-480470.html

04/11/2010 - 16:31:43
    Finance Minister Brian Lenihan has confirmed he has planned €6bn of austerity measures for Budget 2011, it has emerged this evening.

It is estimated that €4.5bn will be made up of spending cuts, with the other €1.5bn in tax hikes.

Growth is estimated to be just 1.75% next year, while the Department of Finance believes 100,000 people will emigrate over the next four years.

Fianna Fail are back to their old 1980's trick of forcing Irish people to emigrate to keep the unemployed numbers down.

If it's so good in the private sector why don't you leave your current role and look for one in the private sector where you have to pay your own pension and your guaranteed not to come out with anything close to the retirement package a civil servant will get.

But i do have to pay my own pension..approx 13% or my earnings go towards my pension and this is a compulsary contribution.

Mayeb its time the private sector were forced to pay for thier own pensions too..a pension levy like we experienced of around 6% should do the trick.

This is all very simple..people attempting to scapegoat the Public Sector and urge pay cuts there are doing it so they wont have to pay increased income tax themselves.
    "If we can get the PS to pay it it'll keep us safee from higher rates"...you think so?

The typical me fein attitde they exhibited during the "boom" years..a boom that attitudes like that helped to blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The govt have now confirmed it is €6,000,000,000.00 for 2010.

Fianna Fail are back to their old 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s and 1980s trick of forcing Irish people to emigrate to keep the unemployed numbers down.

fyp.

Advertisement