Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling a sickie

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Jawgap wrote: »
    If it's that bad why don't you leave and save your employer some money and let someone who appreciates having a job have your job?

.....and just for the record, I left college in 1990, since then apart from 4 weeks off for a burst appendix, I've a perfect attendance record........not bad for a supposedly lazy arsed, over-paid civil servant!

I have worked in the CS in the past so I know only too well that just because you show up it doesn't mean you actually do any work. 90% of the people working in the CS are grand, they go in & do days work.
    But the other 10% view it as a holiday camp.
    Clocking in & going on a half hour tea break. Going for lunch but just as the half hour is up they run out to clock in but return to the canteen for another half an hour. Loads of personal calls being made. Doing the least amount of work possible & no one can pull them up over it for fear of them going to the union about bullying.

So if you're in the 90% fair enough, you have made your point.
    If your in the 10% then kindly take your 'I'm so wonderful' speech somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Care to answer the first part of the post now?

Before joining the Irish civil / public service, I worked in civil service in the UK and had a stint the government service in the US and I can assure you that there are a lot more than 10% of civil and public servants dialling it in here - I'd say the figure is somewhere between a quarter and a third.

The big difference between Ireland, the UK and the US is that the organisations of all sorts (not just public / governmental) in the latter two deal with attendance and performance issues properly meaning someone like you would be quickly found out. Also advancement tends to be more on merit and less on nepotism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Jawgap wrote: »
    Care to answer the first part of the post now?

Before joining the Irish civil / public service, I worked in civil service in the UK and had a stint the government service in the US and I can assure you that there are a lot more than 10% of civil and public servants dialling it in here - I'd say the figure is somewhere between a quarter and a third.

The big difference between Ireland, the UK and the US is that the organisations of all sorts (not just public / governmental) in the latter two deal with attendance and performance issues properly meaning someone like you would be quickly found out. Also advancement tends to be more on merit and less on nepotism.

Someone like me?
    Having had a good record so far I don't think taking one day to myself is all that bad. And it wasn't nepotism that got me into the CS, it was in fact merit. However nepotism is something that seems to keep an awful lot of other people in their.

And I would gladly leave my job if I had something better to go to but as it is there isn't much available. So do you expect me to give it up just because I took one sick day & happen to find it boring?
    Plenty of people find work boring & are working in jobs that don't fulfill their potential but guess what? Like me they have bills to pay so it is a preferable option to signing on.

Hop down off your high horse there like a good lad. Surely it's time for a tea break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Someone like me?
    Having had a good record so far I don't think taking one day to myself is all that bad. And it wasn't nepotism that got me into the CS, it was in fact merit. However nepotism is something that seems to keep an awful lot of other people in their.

And I would gladly leave my job if I had something better to go to but as it is there isn't much available. So do you expect me to give it up just because I took one sick day & happen to find it boring?
    Plenty of people find work boring & are working in jobs that don't fulfill their potential but guess what? Like me they have bills to pay so it is a preferable option to signing on.

Hop down off your high horse there like a good lad. Surely it's time for a tea break.

Actually, it's time for a tea break now so I'll reply.

When I said someone like you, I meant someone silly enough to pull a sickie in the first place and immature enough to come on to a discussion board to boast about it - as if leaving your colleagues to cover for you is some achievement worthy of public mention.

Take your sickies if you must, but don't expect everyone to marvel at your inventiveness and accomplishment or laud you for your weakness at giving in to your ego.

I'd say everyone finds their job boring from time to time, but most are considerate and professional enough to carry on rather than selfishly suit themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

You brought up "Mental Health" and the rest of your post is just hypothetical bullshít...

boo.. the people in work take more breaks to smoke? Well they shouldn't be doing that and if you've got a problem with it complain... taking liberties that you try to justify for yourself like that is just pure nonsence

Nice to zone out once in a while... no-one should be working 24/7 with most people getting weekends off... plenty of time to zone out in your own time...

Telling someone it'll take you a week to do a project then just spend half the time to get it done... prick about the other half week... yeah... that is so acceptable because you got it done when you said you would... :rolleyes:

If you want to take time off, you've got holiday time to call off for it... otherwise yer just acting like a gobshíte... and no, those aren't "my" standards...

So what if I brought up mental health? I put it in quotation marks yet you're the one who started sputtering on about psychiatrists and medical practioners and how spending some extra time in bed does "SFA" for your "mental health", like you'd fcuking know.
    You can call all the other stuff hypothetical bullsh!t if you want. I really coudn't give a fück.
    As for the cutesy little "boo"...save it. It's weak and makes you sound even more pissed off and dogmatic than ever.
    You might want to do some research into worker health and productivity levels because your "nose to the grindstone" approach to work just isn't the way forward, pal.
    The French have one of the shortest work weeks in the world yet they are 16% more productive than the Americans who come in at 8am leave at 9pm and generally get fück all done. They eat their lunch at their desks, forego mandatory breaks and come to work when they're dying for fear of getting canned. This, according to you, is admirable. This, to me, is downright stupidity bordering on insanity.
    You work your way and get all riled up about anyone else who works in a different pattern (and probably gets more done than you in the long run)...and I'll work my way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Pulled a good few sickies in my time. Think i was allowed seven or eight a year paid. Normally Mondays. Just say dodgey stomach or something. Go in Tuesday boss would ask if i had a good night Sunday :) they knew an so long as you didn't take the piss it was fine. I don't mind covering for someone on a sickie either. We all do it. Just make sure someone is planning to go in after big football games or what ever. Not good if half the place does a sickie on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

EasyEason took a sick day?!?!?!?!?!? O M ****ing G, jesus, some kind of lynch mob needs to call around to her house to BURN HER :rolleyes:

The sanctimonious, soapbox-stomping, tantrum throwing people in here would want to grow up and cop on, just coz you're in the right doesn't give you the right to rip the OP a new one, it's pathetic to be honest. Yes we all know pulling a sickie is wrong but it's not exactly child abuse now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When I pull a sickie:

Me: Can't come into today......sick...........uh..........cough, cough and all that.
    Boss: ................what's wrong with you?
    Me: Eh.............*thinks frantically knowing I should've rehearsed this*
    Boss: Well?
    Me: ...................eh...........wo.......woman problems.
    Boss: Wai.....wait, what? But you're a ma...........

*Hang up phone on Boss*

Me: I think that went rather well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Ok! Its not technically pulling a sickie. Today's my day off and often work will ring me and ask me to come in anyway. And today I just haven't answered my phone! I've never said no before to coming in.

This is the baddest thing I have ever done, to not come into work on my day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Ok! Its not technically pulling a sickie. Today's my day off and often work will ring me and ask me to come in anyway. And today I just haven't answered my phone! I've never said no before to coming in.

This is the baddest thing I have ever done, to not come into work on my day off.

You should defo change your name to St. Peach.

• Advertisement

curlzy wrote: »
    You should defo change your name to St. Peach.

No way, I'm a bad girl today. Did you not hear what I did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Pulled a sicky before told the boss could get out of the bed with a migraine. Went on the beer ended up in a disagreement. I then deftly blocked a fist with my face and ended up with a shiner and bruised knuckles. Had no choice but to go the day after (or would need a dr.'s note) with sheepish story of falling out of bed hitting my eye and em..my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

See what the mistake here was you announced this on a public forum, your boss see's this.. Bamm your gone! :D

See what the mistake here was you announced this on a public forum, your boss see's this.. Bamm your gone! :D

I was about to announce what I did on Facebook till I remembered I was friends with my supervisor :P

Glad my brain functioned for a minute there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

deisedevil wrote: »
    But have you not thought about the consequences of your actions and the fact that you have left your work colleagues down badly. You should think about how your sickie affects others.

Anyone else get fed that line when they come back to work? :D

I sure was:D ...by a fella who was a total and utter workaholic. Before coming in at 8pm for a 12 hour shift he would spend the day travelling to different towns fitting windows in buildings. I'm not sure whether he actually slept:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I stayed home from work when I wasn't actually sick once.

It was a terrible job and went against my ethics, I'd started looking for a new job on my second day. (The first day was training so I didn't really know what I was in for yet!)

Eventually I had to quit because they essentially asked me to commit out and out fraud......

so strangely enough I don't feel bad about pulling that sickie earlier during my employment with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I feel really bad calling in sick when I'm not actually sick. I just can't do it. I feel too guilty, even though I know it's a common occurrence and my boss would be fine with it when I'm not sick very often, but something about it makes me feel like I'm committing a heinous act. Damn conscience.

Off sick today incidentally, dying of a cold this morning. Just getting out of bed was painful....lay there for 30 minutes contemplating going to work versus not going...finally felt I was justified in calling in sick by deciding that I'll do a 12 hour day tomorrow to make up for it. God, I haven't posted this much on boards in months...maybe even a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

I used to love taking sick days! Now I if I do I end up doing more work at home with the wife and kids. I go to work to get a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

i have to call sick tomorrow and i'm sick at the thought of it and the reaction i'm gonna get :P

Advertisement