Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling a sickie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

deisedevil wrote: »
    But have you not thought about the consequences of your actions and the fact that you have left your work colleagues down badly. You should think about how your sickie affects others.

Anyone else get fed that line when they come back to work? :D

You sound too much like HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm in work :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not such a good idea in a deep recession OP. Might as well enjoy it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't get the idea of "pulling a sickie" and having a "Me / Duvet Day..." I think it's taking the piss big time and rather childish...

If you want time off just book it off with your holiday time...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've never taken a sick day from work in my life :eek:

I did all the time in school and college alright, back when you wouldnt lose the day's pay, you'd just miss some very important education time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I don't get the idea of "pulling a sickie" and having a "Me / Duvet Day..." I think it's taking the piss big time and rather childish...

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Are you an employer by any chance. Sick days rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

My job's easy enough and I don't get paid if I pull a sickie so it's not really worth it. Although I can make up the sick day by working extra hours on other days. Anyway if I'm chronically hungover I just text them saying I'm having a day of. They don't give a toss. My boss is never in the office.

Oh Jesus lad! That would be class to work them up again. I don't get paid for them and live at home so if I'm sick I'll just end up getting roped into farm work instead of stewing in my own depression in the office. Week is half over though:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are you an employer by any chance. Sick days rule.

I have to be an employer to have a negative opinion based on people who take fake sick days just because they don't feel like it, or can't handle going in after the previous nights drinking?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Or what is the most original excuse you gave for not going into work????
    I was held up at gunpoint in work and took the following day off.
    I'm also having a 'duvet day' today, but it's actually my day off so there's no rebellious edge to it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I haven't pulled a sickie in about five or six years ,I don't feel comfortable doing it and it usually means I have a whole pile of work to catch up on.I even go in when im really sick..I'll probably be laughed at for this:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Do duvet days exist when you have a wife and kids at home?
    Perhaps i can bring my duvet to work with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I love duvet days, do nothing days and sick days. Whether it's a spontaneous thing or something I've planned I love them. Especially when it's cold out and I have a chocolate supply and plenty of rubbish to watch.

You enjoy your duvet day OP, don't mind the rest of this lot they're only bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I find any time I've pulled a sickie, I've gotten sick within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Luxie wrote: »
    I find any time I've pulled a sickie, I've gotten sick within a week.

Karma there I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I have to be an employer to have a negative opinion based on people who take fake sick days just because they don't feel like it, or can't handle going in after the previous nights drinking?
    No you dont have to be an employer to hold that opinion, just a killjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I woke up this morning & the thought of going to work just pissed me off. So I decided to pull a sickie!

this type of attitude really makes my blood boil. somebody doesn't go to work because they just couldn't be arsed....do you get sick pay?..if so, you think it's ok for somebody to pay you to stay at home, while your employer has to work?? (private sector that is) or taxpayer pays you??
    deisedevil wrote: »
    You should think about how your sickie affects others........Anyone else get fed that line when they come back to work? :D

agreed, especially when it's not even a sickie!!
    It's admin & accounts. Boring as fcuk...... was in a crash & was on crutches but I still turned up to work. So I'm not a lazy bitch all the time, just today

if it's that boring, give it up and let somebody else get the job, they might appreciate it

somebody trying to redeem themselves here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

the most outlandish excuse i ever gave was on a monday morning i rang my boss and told her i'd run over my little king charles spaniel by accident that morning leaving the driveway. i told her i went striaght to the vet who told me she'd broken her hips, that he put a cast on her which included 2 little wheels so she could move around using her front legs...it was this off the cuff embelishment that i'm most proud of.

i dont know what i was thinking...

she was grand about it though - took a couple of weeks back with the whole office asking me how the dog was doing while hiding their smiles before everyone eventually told me to drop it. slagged about it for the rest of my time there (about 2 months).

great laugh, true story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

this type of attitude really makes my blood boil. somebody doesn't go to work because they just couldn't be arsed....do you get sick pay?..if so, you think it's ok for somebody to pay you to stay at home, while your employer has to work?? (private sector that is) or taxpayer pays you??

if it's that boring, give it up and let somebody else get the job, they might appreciate it

Simply pointing out that I don't usually do this, not that it's any of your business. And if it makes your blood boil so much why read it & why post on this thread?
    Do you think that you have some kind of moral high ground because you don't agree with taking a sick day?
    More importantly do you honestly think I care what you think or whether you agree with what I do?

And I do appreciate the job but I can safely say that anyone who gets excited & motivated by doing admin & accounts must be slightly touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

gurramok wrote: »
    God help you when the unemployed read your pulling a sickie post! ;)

As an unemployed person reading this thread I have to say... meh. What the OP does is no concern of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I don't know, you can't take life so seriously all the time. If you take a sick day and you're not really sick, it's not the best thing ever, but is it really so bad? If you feel miserable about not going in, then I say take your sick day. It's not going to matter in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You sound too much like HR.

LOL!

That's exactly it lad. Hate that auld crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

thank god your not a public servant OP - we would be at page 50 and people would be trying to climb through their computers to lynch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Simply pointing out that I don't usually do this, not that it's any of your business. And if it makes your blood boil so much why read it & why post on this thread?
    Do you think that you have some kind of moral high ground because you don't agree with taking a sick day?
    More importantly do you honestly think I care what you think or whether you agree with what I do?

And I do appreciate the job but I can safely say that anyone who gets excited & motivated by doing admin & accounts must be slightly touched.

As an unemployed accountant I would love to have your "boring" job! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah I pull the odd sickie from time to time. Theres an allowance of sick instances you can get through before HR come calling so I try my best to make use of them! :D Its a large private sector company and I dont get paid for the first day of sickness unless it turns into a longer stint and I supply a cert. So I don't give a fúck to be honest. Yer just a number, a cog in the machine maaan, gotta fight the system some how!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I would never just ring in sick because I didnt feel like going in and if I did have to go out on a week night I wouldnt drink & yes other people do have to suffer because you didnt go to work, there is no entitlement to take a day off 'sick' as someone else said take your annual leave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah I pull the odd sickie from time to time. Theres an allowance of sick instances you can get through before HR come calling so I try my best to make use of them! :D Its a large private sector company and I dont get paid for the first day of sickness unless it turns into a longer stint and I supply a cert. So I don't give a fúck to be honest. Yer just a number, a cog in the machine maaan, gotta fight the system some how!

Anyone ever tell you "it's a limit not a target"? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Only pulled a sickie once.

Still drunk from the night before I asked the people I'd been with what I should say.

I rang up and uttered this....

"I've been up all night with vertigo"

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Wow AH is very judgey and preachy and not funny tonight, lame, came here for laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Adyx wrote: »
    As an unemployed person reading this thread I have to say... meh. What the OP does is no concern of mine.

Couldn't agree more!

I've never been caught out after pulling a sickie. One of the lads i worked with here in Galway though rang the boss one Monday morning to say he'd an awful bug and his mam was looking after him blah blah. What he didn't realise was there'd been new phones installed over the weekend with caller id. He'd rang from a Dublin landline number!
    Boss was sound though-just gave him some slagging the next day. Your man never pulled a sickie again though :D

Advertisement