Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling a sickie

Options
  • 03-11-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

I woke up this morning & the thought of going to work just pissed me off. So I decided to pull a sickie!
    Currently I'm on the couch under a duvet, I have a massive bar of dairy milk chocolate to munch on & just have nothing to do & all day to do it.
    I love duvet days.

So what is everyone else up to?

Or what is the most original excuse you gave for not going into work????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

working in work

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not pulling a sickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I woke up this morning & the thought of going to work just pissed me off. So I decided to pull a sickie!
    Currently I'm on the couch under a duvet, I have a massive bar of dairy milk chocolate to munch on & just have nothing to do & all day to do it.
    I love duvet days.

Hello ,IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

About to go for my lunch, a crappy ham sandwich I cobbled together in a hurry this morning.

I don't even think the bread is fresh :( Can no longer tell if it's supposed to be brown or white!.................and I don't think that's ham in the middle.........

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You're Fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

There's nothing wrong with pulling a sickie. Just try not to let them sneeze on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I love duvet days.

But have you not thought about the consequences of your actions and the fact that you have left your work colleagues down badly. You should think about how your sickie affects others.

Anyone else get fed that line when they come back to work? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I love duvet days.

Correct me if I am wrong here OP, but weren't you struggling to find a job recently enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

God help you when the unemployed read your pulling a sickie post! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I guess the most original excuse I've ever used for not going to work is; I don't have a job. You can't use this excuse though as if you were unemployed you wouldn't be able to afford a duvet. Unless of course it was declared an "essential purchase".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I'm actually off sick, I'm dying with a chest infection.

Shame on you giving us sick people a bad name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I remember a few years ago when I was working two jobs and had to pull a sickie cause I'd been rostered into both places at the same time. Rang up the boss and told her my grandad had died. Just neglected to mention the fact that it happened 2 years before I was born...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Sickie on a Wednesday? Amateur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Fizman wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong here OP, but weren't you struggling to find a job recently enough?

About a year & a half ago.
    Now I feel like sh!t. Thanks Fizman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Working honestly has its rewards. Once I had a sore eye, I could hardly see out of it. I should have taken the day off, it would have been fine, but I couldn't afford it. We didn't get paid for sick days and the office was really busy.

I went into work. I got praised for coming in, even though I was clearly unable. They sent me home at midday, I got paid for a full day's work, and I got told not to come in the following day, just go home and recover, and I got paid for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

U dont work in Esons do you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

You dont work in Easons do you by any chance?!

If not give us a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Honesty pays off. You should join FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

im barely getting the hours in work
    wish I could pull a sickie just cant afford to anymore
    back in the good auld celtic days my excuses .....
    food poisoning
    broke a bone
    cold, flu, migrane etc

Best sickie ever pulled had to be from Peter in Family Guy...

"Sorry I can't come into work today, my family have all been killed in a horrible plane crash and I am a vegetable. See you tomorrow."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've only pulled a sicky a few times in my life. The rarer it is the more you appreciate it when you have it. And man does it feel great! I can't today though.
    Going to work in an hour or two. Most will be asleep when I get home and boot up my 360 for some early hours gaming. I just hate having to tip toe around the house while my housemates are sleeping. The floors are squeaky upstairs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    U dont work in Esons do you?!

Is there an echo in here?

Has anyone noticed an echo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Is there an echo in here?

Has anyone noticed an echo?

No I didn't but I wonder if yer man works in easons!

If not give us a clue!

No I don't work in Easons.

It's admin & accounts. Boring as fcuk.

Funnily enough down through the years I've had flu, food poinsoning, was in a crash & was on crutches but I still turned up to work. So I'm not a lazy bitch all the time, just today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

No I don't work in Easons.

It's admin & accounts. Boring as fcuk.

Funnily enough down through the years I've had flu, food poinsoning, was in a crash & was on crutches but I still turned up to work. So I'm not a lazy bitch all the time, just today :D

Admit it, you took the day off to celebrate your 2000th post didn't you?! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Haven't really pulled any tbh
    Feel guilty enough as it is when I AM sick

Admit it, you took the day off to celebrate your 2000th post didn't you?! :cool:

Well it will be a highlight of the day for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dont let anyone stop you enjoying your sickie, guilt is for someone else, I dont know, lets say the public sector or the bankers. As bonerm said though, Wednesday is not giving you full value for your sickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Easyeason pulled a sickie, so she put her hand, in her bosses pocket.
    "Thanks Boss"
    And took his money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

My job's easy enough and I don't get paid if I pull a sickie so it's not really worth it. Although I can make up the sick day by working extra hours on other days. Anyway if I'm chronically hungover I just text them saying I'm having a day of. They don't give a toss. My boss is never in the office.

Advertisement