Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling a sickie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

changes wrote: »
    thank god your not a public servant OP - we would be at page 50 and people would be trying to climb through their computers to lynch you.

Exactly what I thought when I first open up this thread. Christ the sh!te would be flowing for pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I have had one sick day in 17 years, I'd never consider pulling a sicky just because I didn't want to go to work. There are consequences when you don't turn up for work, it means someone else has to cover, as well as doing their own job. Very few people look wake up in the morning looking forward to another lovely day in work, and if you do well fair play you one of the lucky ones, but for the rest of the Johnny Punchclocks and Office Carpet creepers - pulling a sicky that is not genuine , well that just selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I woke up this morning & the thought of going to work just pissed me off. So I decided to pull a sickie!
    Currently I'm on the couch under a duvet, I have a massive bar of dairy milk chocolate to munch on & just have nothing to do & all day to do it.
    I love duvet days.

So what is everyone else up to?

Or what is the most original excuse you gave for not going into work????

word of warning !! Dont let the Germans find out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Pullin a sickie feels deadly for the first hour when you're all snuggly under the duvet,then ya realise you cant leave the house,have to watch what you write on facebook like "wooooo major shoppin fest today wrecked lol" or "sittin in my jammies,the fry is gettin cooked and off to see Lady Gaga tonight" isnt a goer, you've to lie when someone texts/rings ya and then spend half the next day lyin through your teeth to everyone in work and describe the mystery illness whose symptoms ya forgot to find about.

The guilt and panic of lyin isnt worth it ..the feeeeeew times ive done it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

anniehoo wrote: »
    Pullin a sickie feels deadly for the first hour when you're all snuggly under the duvet,then ya realise you cant leave the house,have to watch what you write on facebook like "wooooo major shoppin fest today wrecked lol" or "sittin in my jammies,the fry is gettin cooked and off to see Lady Gaga tonight" isnt a goer, you've to lie when someone texts/rings ya and then spend half the next day lyin through your teeth to everyone in work and describe the mystery illness whose symptoms ya forgot to find about.

I don't use facebook so that's not a problem. I also work in a different town to where I live so the chances of running into anyone from work is extremely low.
    One of the bosses regularly suffers from migraines so having listened to his symptoms I have the perfect story to spin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

heard some crackers about chineses/indians funny stuff how ppl seem to mostly get sick from eating foods that they paid to eat!

I don't use facebook so that's not a problem. I also work in a different town to where I live so the chances of running into anyone from work is extremely low.
    One of the bosses regularly suffers from migraines so having listened to his symptoms I have the perfect story to spin :D

I hope he is not on boards.ie :D

hondasam wrote: »
    I hope he is not on boards.ie :D

I doubt it. Succesfully answering the phone is considered great for him.

Ah it was a grand day though. I didn't leave the house once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

anniehoo wrote: »

Oh Anniehoo you poor misguided simpleton.. Sick days are the best especially when your ready to leave and suddenly decide against another mind-numbing, soul destroying day in the office. Also one of the few days when its socially acceptable to drink in the morning. Mmm.. morning beeeeers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I remember a few years ago working in a job i hated. I used to pull sickies a lot and used to take two or three days off at a time to make it more believable. Job Im working in now i never pull sickies unless if im actually sick.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago working in a job i hated. I used to pull sickies a lot and used to take two or three days off at a time to make it more believable. Job Im working in now i never pull sickies unless if im actually sick.

ps workers are ye reading this ? cant believe it and the private sector as well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Oh Anniehoo you poor misguided simpleton..
    Best thing ive heard in...oh...forever. Because...

wrote:
    Sick days are the best especially when your ready to leave and suddenly decide against another mind-numbing, soul destroying day in the office. Also one of the few days when its socially acceptable to drink in the morning. Mmm.. morning beeeeers!!
    i have a job i absolutely loooove mwahahhahahaha and i have never felt like that ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd don't accept 'I can't come to work today' from my staff, they can ring in dead but I'll remember it and make them suffer later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Going to the cinema is the best thing to do on a pretend sick day

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'd don't accept 'I can't come to work today' from my staff, they can ring in dead but I'll remember it and make them suffer later.

Wow, you're a class act.
    You realise that's illegal don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

the best excuse is i have the runs reaaaaallly bad.. i cant leave the toilet ... cuz u wouldnt make that up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Pulled a sickie on Christmas eve years ago! Was ridiclously hungover and the boss went mental and never forgave me, reaaaaly should have went in :/ oh well!

would this work for you :D

Pulling a Sicky from work

An employee who had a terrible history for taking time off phoned in again one Monday morning

“I’m sorry, but I’ll not be able to come in today as I’m too sick.”

On hearing this his exasperated boss could barely conceal his anger and retorted in a rage: “Well, just how sick are you?”

“Well” the employee sighed, “I’m in bed with my sister!”

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

On the few occassions when I've pulled a sickie I typically end up actually being sick a few days after, and then no one believes me! So sickies are mostly a no-no for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

When I'm the boss of my hugely successful company....(any day now) I'm going to introduce 'can't be arsed' days. Staff will be allowed five per year, and they can make up the time again.
    Will save lying and promote an honest and healthy relationship.
    Of course I'll give myself ten 'can't be arsed' days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Oh Jesus lad! That would be class to work them up again. I don't get paid for them and live at home so if I'm sick I'll just end up getting roped into farm work instead of stewing in my own depression in the office. Week is half over though:)

If I pull a sickie with a hangover then I usually go back to bed for a few more hours then go back to the pub for the afternoon with my laptop and have a few bloody mary's to cure me. :pac:

But try to get an early night then if it's not a Friday that I've taken the sickie.

Shame you get shanghai'd into helping round the farm. Farm work is OK if you're warm and dry and not sick/hungover.....but if it's a miserable day and you've got the heeby-jeebies it can be hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

On the few occassions when I've pulled a sickie I typically end up actually being sick a few days after, and then no one believes me! So sickies are mostly a no-no for me :(

yeah thats the worst.

It means that for me to call in sick I have to be totally sure i'm 100% healthy.

I have to be an employer to have a negative opinion based on people who take fake sick days just because they don't feel like it, or can't handle going in after the previous nights drinking?

News for you dude. A sick day can comprise many different things. In my opinion one doesn't have to have the flu or some debillitating illness to take a sick day. Sometimes I just don't feel like going to work....I call it a "mental health" day.
    We're not slaves and people who go to work even though they're on their deathbeds are doing more harm than good to themselves.
    A chilled out, unstressed worker is a productive worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

I'm surprised with how it appears to be common practice to give a reason as to why you're not making it in. For every sick day (legitimate and otherwise) i've taken in all of my jobs, I never give a reason. I've never been asked to either.

It's a shame that i work in a job where you don't really want to call in sick because you'll fall even further behind in work. How lame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

News for you dude. A sick day can comprise many different things. In my opinion one doesn't have to have the flu or some debillitating illness to take a sick day.

er... you did notice I said "fake" sick days?
    Sometimes I just don't feel like going to work....I call it a "mental health" day.

Right.. so if you are consistantly taking days out for yourself to keep in check with your mental health... have you gone to get that checked by someone who actually knows something about mental health or psychology? Laying in bed that little bit extra and watching the telly does SFA to aid your mental health... if anything, people will claim you are avoiding a problem by doing that if you claim to have mental health issues...
    We're not slaves and people who go to work even though they're on their deathbeds are doing more harm than good to themselves.

I never suggested we are slaves... You don't have to work yourself to death to show you are responsible...
    A chilled out, unstressed worker is a productive worker.

As is someone who is reliable and not trying to sneak themselves away from work, whenever they "don't feel like it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wow, you're a class act.
    You realise that's illegal don't you?

Ah no,.... this is AH not Work Problems

er... you did notice I said "fake" sick days?

Some people NEVER get sick. What are they supposed to do with their sick day allowance? Can't they just have a "fake" sick day if they want to stay in bed with their spouse or partner or just lounge about? Same way as non smokers should be allowed to go for a five-minute fake smoke break along with the smokers
    wrote:
    Right.. so if you are consistantly taking days out for yourself to keep in check with your mental health... have you gone to get that checked by someone who actually knows something about mental health or psychology? Laying in bed that little bit extra and watching the telly does SFA to aid your mental health... if anything, people will claim you are avoiding a problem by doing that if you claim to have mental health issues...

Never said consistently either and never mentioned there was anything wrong with my mental health. But going to work when I really don't want to or don't feel like it the few times per year is NOT good for one's mental health. And FYI relaxing in bed and zoning out of daily stresses once in a while does WONDERS for your mental health. Anyone can tell you that
    wrote:
    I never suggested we are slaves... You don't have to work yourself to death to show you are responsible...

My work gets done.

wrote:
    As is someone who is reliable and not trying to sneak themselves away from work, whenever they "don't feel like it..."

Sneaking away? Sounds to me like you just can't bear to contemplate someone not doing things your way. Here's a scenario. I've got a week to accomplish a task. I tell you I will accomplish that task in exactly 40 hours. I come to work on Monday and Tuesday and accomplish 80% of the project. Thrilled with my progress...I go to the pub on Tuesday and meet up with the girlfriend. We go for a meal, get drunk and go home and shag. Wednesday morning I feel a bit woozy and call you telling you I'm taking the day off. Thursday I am back in and on Friday a few hours before the deadline I have your project completed, tested, lock-stock-and-jockstrap and the documentation on your desk. Do you still have a bee in your bonnet about my "fake" sick day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Some people NEVER get sick. What are they supposed to do with their sick day allowance? Can't they just have a "fake" sick day if they want to stay in bed with their spouse or partner or just lounge about? Same way as non smokers should be allowed to go for a five-minute fake smoke break along with the smokers

Never said consistently either and never mentioned there was anything wrong with my mental health. But going to work when I really don't want to or don't feel like it the few times per year is NOT good for one's mental health. And FYI relaxing in bed and zoning out of daily stresses once in a while does WONDERS for your mental health. Anyone can tell you that

My work gets done.

Sneaking away? Sounds to me like you just can't bear to contemplate someone not doing things your way. Here's a scenario. I've got a week to accomplish a task. I tell you I will accomplish that task in exactly 40 hours. I come to work on Monday and Tuesday and accomplish 80% of the project. Thrilled with my progress...I go to the pub on Tuesday and meet up with the girlfriend. We go for a meal, get drunk and go home and shag. Wednesday morning I feel a bit woozy and call you telling you I'm taking the day off. Thursday I am back in and on Friday a few hours before the deadline I have your project completed, tested, lock-stock-and-jockstrap and the documentation on your desk. Do you still have a bee in your bonnet about my "fake" sick day?

You brought up "Mental Health" and the rest of your post is just hypothetical bullshít...

boo.. the people in work take more breaks to smoke? Well they shouldn't be doing that and if you've got a problem with it complain... taking liberties that you try to justify for yourself like that is just pure nonsence

Nice to zone out once in a while... no-one should be working 24/7 with most people getting weekends off... plenty of time to zone out in your own time...

Telling someone it'll take you a week to do a project then just spend half the time to get it done... prick about the other half week... yeah... that is so acceptable because you got it done when you said you would... :rolleyes:

If you want to take time off, you've got holiday time to call off for it... otherwise yer just acting like a gobshíte... and no, those aren't "my" standards...

Ah no,.... this is AH not Work Problems

Yeah right, your probably a right demon to work for. If you start giving employees sick days then they could get notions about tea breaks & the like :D

Well I'm up & ready for work. I'm feeling well rested & happy in myself so I think there's a very high chance I'll go in today. I might even work through lunch to make up for yesterday, that's how much energy I have & I haven't even had a cup of coffee yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No I don't work in Easons.

It's admin & accounts. Boring as fcuk.

Funnily enough down through the years I've had flu, food poinsoning, was in a crash & was on crutches but I still turned up to work. So I'm not a lazy bitch all the time, just today :D

If it's that bad why don't you leave and save your employer some money and let someone who appreciates having a job have your job?

.....and just for the record, I left college in 1990, since then apart from 4 weeks off for a burst appendix, I've a perfect attendance record........not bad for a supposedly lazy arsed, over-paid civil servant!

Advertisement