Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor changes Terms And Conditions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I called them and asked to cancel and was told that they would require the phone back.

On the other hand they offered me, if I was to stay with them either:

250 free extra texts a month for 6 months or;

35 mins per month for 3 months free international calls.

Anyone else get asked to give the phone back?

Regards

The Iba

ro2 wrote: »
    I just said that I have a contract and that I heard that you're changing your terms and conditions, so I'd like to cancel it. They asked if it was due to the increase in the international rates and that was it. I was able to change the phone over to pay as you go straight away.

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

just rang the 1800-222-085 number there and got all the way through and then the guy put me on hold for a sec and came back and said oh you have to send the handset back to us and you wont be switched back to PAYG / Bill Pay Lite until we receive the handset. I said really hows that as its you breaking the terms of the contract which im 6 monts into and he said there has to be a month or less left to keep the phone penalty free. I then said sure give me the email address anyway to send my email too and he said are you gonna send the phone back to which i replied sure ill fire off the email to cancellations and see !! sunno what to do. anyone get that?? temoted to ring back in a while get a different person and see whats said then? would they know ive rang already about this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd ask them to send you details of where you signed a contract to say the phone is there property.
    They offered you a "free" or heavily reduced phone for entering into a contract. You entered the contract so you lived up to your half of the deal. They then went and changed the terms of the contract.
    I'd say the phone is yours, they have no right to take it back unless it's in the T's&C's of your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you are a subscriber to the services affected by these changes and if you do not accept these changes, you may therefore cease to use the service without penalty imposed, by giving us written notice, received at any time prior to the implementation of the change. Should such notice be received, your account will be terminated in line with our normal provisions. Please note that continued usage of the services at any stage after the implementation of changes, shall be taken as acceptance of same.

Does this mean that I would have to switch from Metor or can I just get out of contract and stay on my same price plan?

• Advertisement

I'd ask them to send you details of where you signed a contract to say the phone is there property.
    They offered you a "free" or heavily reduced phone for entering into a contract. You entered the contract so you lived up to your half of the deal. They then went and changed the terms of the contract.
    I'd say the phone is yours, they have no right to take it back unless it's in the T's&C's of your contract.

Hi,

I rang earlier and was told to email this address about leaving my contract penalty free under Rgulation 17 of the European Communities Regualtions 2003 due to Meteors change of Terms and Conditions in contract with regards International Calls being changed from per second to per minute billing. How do i do this. The man i spoke to on the phone also mentioned something about sending back in my old phone before i could be freed from contract and put back to PAYG or Bill Pay Lite €50.
    Can you send me details of where in my contract it says the phone is your property if Meteor break the contract. I entered into a contract and have lived up to my half of the deal it is Meteor who have changed the terms of the contract.

Regards,
    Dave

thats what i sent to cancellations@meteor.ie see what they say now

davehey79 wrote: »
    Hi,

I rang earlier and was told to email this address about leaving my contract penalty free under Rgulation 17 of the European Communities Regualtions 2003 due to Meteors change of Terms and Conditions in contract with regards International Calls being changed from per second to per minute billing. How do i do this. The man i spoke to on the phone also mentioned something about sending back in my old phone before i could be freed from contract and put back to PAYG or Bill Pay Lite €50.
    Can you send me details of where in my contract it says the phone is your property if Meteor break the contract. I entered into a contract and have lived up to my half of the deal it is Meteor who have changed the terms of the contract.

Regards,
    Dave

thats what i sent to cancellations@meteor.ie see what they say now

Heres there reply jsut got it a minute ago

Hi David,

Thank you for your email.

Please see Below the Details where Meteor own all the equipment for the duration of your contract whether 12 or 18 months. Should you need any other info on the terms and conditions please see the link below where they are clearly stated.

http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/

Should you have any other questions on the contract or terms and conditions please contact our customer care team on 1905.

Regards

12. Equipment and Number

You do not own the mobile phone number allocated to you. We can change the Number at our discretion and will not be liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, which might arise from such change.

***The Meteor SIM Card remains our property at all times. All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period.***

You shall ensure that all Meteor instructions (including any instruction manuals relating to the Equipment) are followed correctly in using the Equipment and we shall have no liability arising from your failure to follow such instructions. You will maintain the Equipment in good working order. You are solely responsible for the manner in which the Equipment is used.

Meteor shall have no liability for any equipment, plug-ins or other devices, hardware or software provided by the Customer, other than the Equipment provided by us, for use in connection with the Services. Any such equipment must be compatible with the Services, these terms and conditions, must not cause damage or loss to the Services, the Network or the Equipment and must be used in accordance with relevant instructions, safety and security procedures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They changed the terms and conditions and you are not accepting the new ones. Therefore the T&Cs don't apply including that one. They can't just choose which T&Cs are relevant - the contract as a whole is being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm a little confused about this:

Meteor seemed to have them selves covered for handsets with the t&c dave linked to, but when did those T&C become active?

Also if meteor break one part of their T&C (call charges in this case) does that void any obligations you agreed to uphold?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭puremule

I have just been in contact with meteor to cancel my account and guess what...they want the handset back. Also last month I recieved a bill for €6500:eek:for internet charges!!. Funny enough they rounded the bill of to €233 and credit me €70 to my next bill. Now I've been told that they will no longer honour me with the credited amount as I'm leaving meteor:confused:I even offered to buy the handset and was told that wasnt possible. Obviously they have a big bin in Parkwest for all these handsets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I had a call from Meteor only 5 minutes ago offering me an early upgrade! I was wondering why they were so eager, presume they want to sign people up to the new terms asap

This is getting interesting, I wonder wat would happen if someone ys that they lost the phone?

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I had a call from Meteor only 5 minutes ago offering me an early upgrade! I was wondering why they were so eager, presume they want to sign people up to the new terms asap

What upgrade did they offer you?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭puremule

This is the email I have sent to Meteor. A friend of mine just cancelled too, but he was told to put it in writting which again with misinformation from Meteor's "Customer Care" I wasn't. So to cover my back and vent my anger here we go!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

To who it may concern,

Further to my call to your department today , I wish to advise again of my decision to cancel my contract under Regulation 17 of the European Communities Regulations 2003 due to Meteors change of Terms and Conditions in contract with regards International Calls being changed from per second to per minute billing.

I have been utterly disgusted by Meteors total disregard to their customers that I have experienced over the last number of months.Last April I had been misinformed about handset insurance in which I was advised after I tried to make a claim that I hadn't informed the insurance company that I had changed handset therefore could not receive a replacement. The statement from a member of your so called "CUSTOMER CARE TEAM" was that "if you bought a car of Opel that Opel wouldn't inform my insurance company on my behalf". If Opel were charging me for my insurance as Meteor do on my account I would expect them to.

After this misinformation, as a "good will" gesture I was told I could call back in June and I would receive an early upgrade to which when June came round I was told that this would never be the case and I would have to wait until December!. When I inquired as to what I was to do for a handset until then I was told " couldn't you buy a cheap one somewhere".

Last month I received an exorbitant bill for Internet usage. The bill was rounded off to a figure that was €5000 approx less than Meteor had originally billed. This in my eyes admits on Meteor's behalf that they may have made an error or that in these times of economic crisis Meteor have made so much profit that they can write almost anything off. Further to this I was again given another " good will gesture". I was told that because of the huge charges that I would be credited €70 to my next bill. Now I have been told that because I am leaving Meteor the €70 no longer stands and can't be credited off my outstanding bill. It seems that Meteor change the goalposts when they seem fit. At no stage was I told that the credited amount was subject to me remaining a meteor customer for any period of time. I explained at the time that I would accept the credit, but would still re-evaluate whether I would remain a customer or not.

To add insult I have now been informed that I now must ( at my own expense ) return the handset to meteor and without doubt suspect that it will be just blatantly destroyed. I even offered to purchase the handset and was told this wasn't an option either.

referring to the change the Meteor have made in their Terms & Conditions does this not make their claim that

"The Meteor SIM Card remains our property at all times. All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period.***"

I am so glad to see that after these number of years as a Meteor customer thay treat their customers with such respect!

Regards,

08********

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

iba wrote: »
    What upgrade did they offer you?

Not sure to be honest, they were a bit sketchy, just asked if I would take an early upgrade and then went on about changing plans etc.

I've an E71 at the moment and not overly fond of touchscreen so I didnt really give them much to work with seeing as almost all the newer handsets are touchscreen. Mentioned something about the HTC Wildfire for something like €40 and Desire for €100 or so. Different plans then
    were €5 cheaper if signed on for new 18 month instead of 12 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

After 6 years as a meteor customer i have come to the conclusion that meteor are a shower of absolute cowboys.

Managed to get through, inform them of my wishes to be released from contract, sent them the email and received a call from them a few ours later informing me that i would need to return the handset to them. To be honest im split on this. On one hand its a pain in the arse and was under the illusion that the phone was mine, but on the other hand i would nearly prefer sending it back as i will be rid of any trace i have ever had with meteor. I have informed them i will switch to payg, but that is only temporary as i will be leaving meteor for good to move to another network. Sh1t customer service, sh1t coverage where i am being the reasons. Farewell meteor, ya bunch of cowboys!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

On the last "get out of contract" thread, a few months ago, people were commenting on how Meteor were going the extra mile to keep their customers happy. It seems like they're taking the opposite approach this time

Hi David,

Please see below under the terms and conditions of your contract. This is also stated online on the meteor website.

Text Box: 12. Equipment and Number You do not own the mobile phone number allocated to you. We can change the Number at our discretion and will not be liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, which might arise from such change. The Meteor SIM Card remains our property at all times. All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period. You shall ensure that all Meteor instructions (including any instruction manuals relating to the Equipment) are followed correctly in using the Equipment and we shall have no liability arising from your failure to follow such instructions. You will maintain the Equipment in good working order. You are solely responsible for the manner in which the Equipment is used. Meteor shall have no liability for any equipment, plug-ins or other devices, hardware or software provided by the Customer, other than the Equipment provided by us, for use in connection with the Services. Any such equipment must be compatible with the Services, these terms and conditions, must not cause damage or loss to the Services, the Network or the Equipment and must be used in accordance with relevant instructions, safety and security procedures.

Regards,

above is the latest reply which i got from them seems someone decided larger font and a different colour might be better !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi David,

Please see below under the terms and conditions of your contract. This is also stated online on the meteor website.

Text Box: 12. Equipment and Number You do not own the mobile phone number allocated to you. We can change the Number at our discretion and will not be liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, which might arise from such change. The Meteor SIM Card remains our property at all times. All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period. You shall ensure that all Meteor instructions (including any instruction manuals relating to the Equipment) are followed correctly in using the Equipment and we shall have no liability arising from your failure to follow such instructions. You will maintain the Equipment in good working order. You are solely responsible for the manner in which the Equipment is used. Meteor shall have no liability for any equipment, plug-ins or other devices, hardware or software provided by the Customer, other than the Equipment provided by us, for use in connection with the Services. Any such equipment must be compatible with the Services, these terms and conditions, must not cause damage or loss to the Services, the Network or the Equipment and must be used in accordance with relevant instructions, safety and security procedures.

Regards,

above is the latest reply which i got from them seems someone decided larger font and a different colour might be better !!

I must say I don't get it....
    Surely contract broken => Minimum period is now over => handset is no longer Meteor's ?

long_b wrote: »
    I must say I don't get it....
    Surely contract broken => Minimum period is now over => handset is no longer Meteor's ?

Thats what i think anyway im gonna mail back see what i get back from them this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazy chester

Same here i rang them yesterday and was told i had to send back my handset, i told them id drop it into a meteor shop and they said fine but they could not terminate my contract till they recieved the phone in parkwest from the meteor shop! THEY ARE A COMPLETE JOKE!!

Anybody here know anyone who deals in contracts or the legal profession to give us some idea where we stand on this!??

Cause i paid E100 along with signing the contract for the phone, does this mean that paying that money only ment i was renting the phone or do i have a stake in the piece of sh*t!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A contract is a contract. They broke the contract by attempting to change the terms of it. In my view that would mean the contract in its entirity is null and void. Yet they still want to rely on it parts of it as it suits them. Is there anything in the EU regulation on this? I would imagine not but I will check it later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looking at the statutory instrument implementing the regulation - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0308.html

(4) An undertaking referred to in paragraph (1) or a provider of electronic communications services referred to in paragraph (3) shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service —

(a) of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and

(b) their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

(5) A subscriber referred to in paragraph (4) may withdraw from his or her contract with the undertaking or provider, without penalty if he or she does not accept a proposed modification referred to in paragraph (4).

If you have paid for your phone, and then return it, surely this is a penalty as you do not get the use of the handset for 12/18 months, is that not what you paid for.

Regarding my last post, the SI doesn't mention voiding the contract, just the right ti withdraw

Thats what i think anyway im gonna mail back see what i get back from them this time.

right mailed back stating this " All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period ". This is fair enough but it is Meteor who are changing the Terms and Conditions and therfore the contract which i entered into 7 months ago is null and void and the Minimum Contract period is deemed complete. Please give me details on how to go onto PAYG without penalty Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities Regualtions 2003 and whilst keeping my handset to use on the METEOR network.
    About an hour later i got an email telling me to contact the retention centre to discuss. I did and explained my side no bulls**t told them basically i wanted to get out to get free Meteor calls and texts to herself and this was my chance to do it penalty free. Also mentioned some people getting upgrades / offers and no instructions to send back handset and that this was unfair as it seemed to be different case to case. Have to say the girl i dealt with was brilliant listened explained and tried to help me out at evey corner. Long story short it was a supervisor who had instructed them to say it but she got back on to the supervisor sayin i never intended leaving the network and low and behold i now have my exisiting plan with free meteor text and calls on it til my contract ends in June. I am very happy with the outcome as this is what i actually wanted but as an exisiting customer on bill wasnt eligible for.

dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great. Fantastic.

I've been on Bill Pay for a few months, and not once has my bill been correct. It's the 30 a month plan, with 200 free minutes and 200 free texts with free meteor texts. They - the bills - vary from 50 to a low point of 100 a month, the blame and recourse to which just gets passed around from person to person with resolution, with myself having been charged for countless meteor texts/every text, calls within the 200 minutes, and so on. At this stage I'm actually delighted to just cancel my contract and move to a different network. Sent them an email there.

Would never use Meteor again to be honest, having been with them for almost ten years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interestingly my data package has disappeared from my account details and it looks like they're now charging me for data usage...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bambi wrote: »
    Interestingly my data package has disappeared from my account details and it looks like they're now charging me for data usage...

You might have only got the data as a promo, if your on bill, don't use any more data and contact them straight away, there open until 12, call 1905

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You might have only got the data as a promo, if your on bill, don't use any more data and contact them straight away, there open until 12, call 1905

its not a promo AFAIK, I'm on the old 250mb package and have been for well over a year now, though it's not showing up. Can't ring em because my phone is on the blink :o

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazy chester

Would this dicussion be appropiate to bring to the legal discussion part of boards, just to get clarity on whether we have to give back our phones?

Also i rang Meteor again last night!! Nearly an hour on the phone and the person i was talking to was not very pleasent. I now have to bring the reciept, stating that i part paid for my phone on my upgrade, they have to fax to head office and i have to wait for a reply! I was also told that if it was not sorted by the time the new terms and conditions come in i wont be able to cancel my account! The last customer service rep (AND I USE THE TERM LOOSELY!!!) i was speaking to, when i was having problems with my E15000 bill, said he would call mey back 3 days after my conversation. Low and behold i heard nothing then the person i was talking to yesterday told me my query was rejected and i still had to pay the cap on my data charges, i said i was not informed of this as i was still waiting for a call back on this issue, then she said that its not Meteors policy to call back customers. I told her that the rep i was talking to said he would and she basically made me feel like a liar!

Customer service my ar#e!
    I have to say I was a happy Meteor customer up until last month and i can guarantee i will NEVER go back!
    And because of my experiences my family and 10 of my friends are changing!

These guys would do well studing the book "Business for Dummies" as they are loosing customers left right and centre!

RANT OVER!

• Advertisement

Sorry, but Im a bit confused here; do we have to give the phones back or not. Anyone got a definitive answer on this yet?

Advertisement