Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual punishments in school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Dean09 wrote: »
    When I was about 5 or 6 I had a bad stammer and I couldn't get a sentence out when I was asking the teacher something so she made me stand up in front of the class and say it until I could say it properly. It took forever because I was crying so much and couldn't speak. :(

What a cúnt! :(

Some of the psychological stuff was worse, I remember reading in the class and I had difficulties with the tense of the word read, I was confused as to whether it was present or past. I told the teacher I didn't know what the word was, thinking it was the easiest way out. We had a Special Ed class, which was called the dunce class; I was sent up to that class to ask the teacher to allow me to ask the class what the word was.

I remember the teacher must have taken pity on me as I told him I was sent up because another boy didn't know the word, I was that embarrassed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

When I was younger, I got caught stealing a piece of the principal's cake. She then called an assembly, produced a huge chocolate cake and forced me to eat it in front of everyone. After much heaving and stuffing large bundles of cake into my mouth, I had finished it. She was so annoyed with me she even broke the glass platter over my head, but I didn't care because everyone was cheering... and I got free cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When I was younger, I got caught stealing a piece of the principal's cake. She then called an assembly, produced a huge chocolate cake and forced me to eat it in front of everyone. After much heaving and stuffing large bundles of cake into my mouth, I had finished it. She was so annoyed with me she even broke the glass platter over my head, but I didn't care because everyone was cheering... and I got free cake.

BRUCE BRUCE BRUCE!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My schooling ended in 1972:

Physical punishment was the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Was sitting there scratching my head thinking.... I remember that... I must have blocked the memory or something... I could see you on the school stage, the big chocolate cake in front of you.... Thinking "I Must have been in school with timbuk2...."
    :rolleyes:

Then I realised where I remembered it from. Smartarse... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Secondary school I was hurling inside with a few others. Teacher who saw us didn't appreciate our sports prowess and and locked the three of us into a room where we were basically on display to the rest of the school who the wanker brought round to see us. Bear in mind this was probably the first or second week of first year. I was seriously shy and lacked self esteem for years after that one since it was my introduction to everyone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 john.reid86

I remember some of the stupid essays like the life of a cornflake and to write an essay on the inside of a golfball and things like that. Also the getting chalk and duster thrown at you was in there a few times.

I think the insane thing was what I got away with. I threw a chair at some1 one day over slagging me. and the teacher came in while the chair was in mid flight. He called me outside to the corridor and told me he wasnt going to tell the principal but that I should. I didn't bother because it was pointless. The school had so many ridiculous rules. and what would be acomplished by me telling on a student that was slagging me. Everyone got that kinda crap in school. It was part of it like.

Looking back now at some of the things that went on in school I can tell ya If I was there today and that was happening to me it would be a whole different story. Granted I'd be incredibly worried that I was back in secondary school at 23 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bloody hell.

Please tell me most of this thread is people taking the piss.

I know I'm not taking the piss in my comment. School was an experience for everyone. Majority of people I still talk to who I went to school with are in careers and have decent jobs. It's crazy to look back at all the crap you did and think how on earth was that allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Woodwork teacher made me and a pal kneel for a DOUBLE class with pencils under our knees! He kept checking to see if the pencils were under our knees that a$$hole of a c**T:D

Another student was suspended after a teacher flung a duster at him and missed but the student flung it back but didn't!:D

Seen the principal kick the arse of another guy one day. Things were a lot tougher back in 1990. We were afraid of the teachers. From what I gather now in the very same school where a pal is a teacher, the teachers are afraid of the students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Had this one teacher that had a black bowler type top hat and when you were disruptive, he used to put a rabbit in the hat on his lap and make you pet it until you calmed down.

I never did see the rabbit though, could just feel it and it had no hair or ears.

Strange teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I can't think of anything like your experiences happening to me!

AntiRip wrote: »
    Woodwork teacher made me and a pal kneel for a DOUBLE class with pencils under our knees! He kept checking to see if the pencils were under our knees that a$$hole of a c**T:D

Another student was suspended after a teacher flung a duster at him and missed but the student flung it back but didn't!:D

Seen the principal kick the arse of another guy one day. Things were a lot tougher back in 1990. We were afraid of the teachers. From what I gather now in the very same school where a pal is a teacher, the teachers are afraid of the students.

This has actually made me laugh quite a bit. Sorry mate but when you look back at how insane things were you can't do much but laugh.

And the teachers should be afraid of kids these days. A few years back in Temple bar I saw a group of about 8 or 9 kids. couldnt have been much older then 10/11 like. They kicked the sh!t out of 2 kids and split one of there heads open and ran off. all for fun like. It was crazy.

I know I'm only young myself at 23 like but the generation now in school is insane. It's horrible to think what is going to happen people when they go to get jobs or whatever and when asked what experience you have and they reply "eh give me the job... or else" I mean Kids have no respect at all. No matter what way you treat them. whether it be nice or not they dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Banned from playing on the grass, That was the most annoying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Nothing too odd for me. Just the usual "describe the inside of a golfball" essay, or play dodge the blackboard duster.

I got "Life Inside A Volleyball" myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DubMam

Does anyone remember those horrible corned beef sandwiches with the white butter on brown bread (supplied by the school) , gross! Well one day I was about 7 teacher emptied the bin and found right at the bottom a sandwich with one bite gone out of it. I was wrongly accused of throwing it out and made to eat it, soaked in sour milk and pencil parings..:( will never forget it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Being beat on your left hand for writing with it. No lefties in my school!

Yup. I got beaten in 3rd class for using a sewing needle with my left hand.
    The lovely Sister Aquinas used a meter long piece of wood. Wizened old biddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

I was in 2nd or 3rd class in the run-up to Christmas, made the mistake of agreeing with a classmate that we didn't think Santa existed. My best friend told the teacher on us, she told the headmaster, we were banned from playing football at break-time for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

in secondary school, a fellow student delayed getting out of his desk to get a laugh from the rest of us when the next teacher arrived in. bad move..the teacher who was 6'2" or so and weighed about 17 stone(guesstimation) pulled him out of the desk by his sidelock and when he fell on the floor picked him up, struck him in the face and proceeded to suspend him from a coat hanger whereby his feet werent in contact with the floor.
    coat hanger gave way,gashing the back of his head...
    ah school daze..the happiest of your life:D

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Another odd punishment was to write meaningless 5 page essays only for the teacher to throw it in the bin without even looking at it.

Yup, many's the blank page what went that way ~ but one day, "Right Mr. Gbee, we'll see what you wrote this week!"

Busted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Banned from playing on the grass, That was the most annoying :(

us too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

anyone meet up with these teachers (abusers) in later years and make them pay in some way?

adamski8 wrote: »
    anyone meet up with these teachers (abusers) in later years and make them pay in some way?

Came close to it one day.

Was in Malahide and seen a teacher that when I was ten, held me by the throat, up against a wall.

He denied it totally and said I made it up, meeting was called, parents attended and he had the audacity to say in front of the head and my parents:

"Why are you making this up, sure I never went near you".

He punched a mate in the stomach a month before that but this kids parents did worse to him, so he wasn't too bothered about it.

I regret not going up to him now though.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I regret not going up to him now though.

Don't think that way. You need to move on too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

The teacher i was talking about was actually one of the most loved teachers in the school by the pupils. He was the worst for giving the punishments, but he was one of the best teachers i ever had-and everyone felt that way. It's hard to explain!
    Saw him a few months back at a reunion, and he knew straight away who everyone was,and everyone was delighted to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Had this one teacher that had a black bowler type top hat and when you were disruptive, he used to put a rabbit in the hat on his lap and make you pet it until you calmed down.

I never did see the rabbit though, could just feel it and it had no hair or ears.

Strange teacher.

I think we went to the same school! I remember this punishment. I think it was more of a psychological punishment though. He made me do it A LOT (yeh I was a messer) and the worst part was thinking the rabbit was going to bite your hand any second, teacher always looked like he wanted it to bite you real bad, never bit me though because I developed a great technique after a while and knew that the worst that was going to happen was the rabbit would puke on your hand, that wasn't so bad! I kinda showed that teacher eh! Damn, the rabbit stank though.

FunGoose wrote: »
    I think we went to the same school! I remember this punishment. I think it was more of a psychological punishment though. He made me do it A LOT (yeh I was a messer) and the worst part was thinking the rabbit was going to bite your hand any second, teacher always looked like he wanted it to bite you real bad, never bit me though because I developed a great technique after a while and knew that the worst that was going to happen was the rabbit would puke on your hand, that wasn't so bad! I kinda showed that teacher eh! Damn, the rabbit stank though.

I think between us, we have completely ripped of some comedian, but for the life of me I can't remember who :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I think between us, we have completely ripped of some comedian, but for the life of me I can't remember who :D

Na, i reckon the teacher just told you that after he molested you. He knew you'd swallow anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Comedian?? I wasn't ripping anyone off!
    Honestly, you weren't in Mr. Griffins class???

Damn, somehow I think I'm being made fun of here, this is actually worse than 'petting the pet rabbit'.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I seen one Brother who whacked me out of it a good few times in 1st class, when I was in my 20s. I still felt some of the horror, but all I seen that day was a very old man, who tbh hadn't many clean shirts left in him, and just said fcuk it. Old cnut was in his 80s by then.

Advertisement