Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual punishments in school

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

One day in 6th class of primary school this fella was forced to drink a carton of sour milk. He had left it in the sun at break time and the teacher didn't like the idea of him just wasting it so she made him drink it despite it being well sour. It must have taken him about 2 hours to finish it but he did

When i was really young i was forced to let some fella bite me that i was after having a fight with.

there must have been others but i cant think of em right now. after primary school they were much more into following the policy, meetings with the board of management and social workers and that kind of sh1te rather than giving an unusual punishment. anyone got any interesting tales to tell? i'm sure this was more common in the good old days than when i was going to school

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

One day in 6th class of primary school this fella was forced to drink a carton of sour milk. He had left it in the sun at break time and the teacher didn't like the idea of him just wasting it so she made him drink it despite it being well sour. It must have taken him about 2 hours to finish it but he did

When i was really young i was forced to let some fella bite me that i was after having a fight with.

there must have been others but i cant think of em right now. after primary school they were much more into following the policy, meetings with the board of management and social workers and that kind of sh1te rather than giving an unusual punishment. anyone got any interesting tales to tell? i'm sure this was more common in the good old days than when i was going to school

The good oul' days where kids were encouraged to bite other kids. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I heard this, and thus have no idea whether its true or not - it would relate to about 25 years ago - A young one being forced to clean the toilets in a secondary school (run by nuns).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My history teacher made a classmate get on his knees and apologise for jig-acting.

Someone took a poo on the school floor and the supposed culprit was made clean it up.

Where was he told to bite you? :D

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The good oul' days where kids were encouraged to bite other kids. :cool:

Twas often the only lunch available. All the long day, you'd look forward to being able to bite some fellah. And if father hadn't earned enough money dancing for the Nuns, it would be your dinner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Being brought up in Wales, and going to a school that wasnt run by sadist religious nuts the worse punishment we would get was either Hands on heads, Arms in the Air or Lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I spent many lunchtimes with a sweeping brush and told to sweep the foyer.

And when I got a barman job the school janitor was having a pint and saw me cleaning the bar and said he trained me well at cleaning, ****er :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

In primary-used to get hung out the 2nd floor window by your ankles, get your head stuck under the cold tap, get the duster flung at you if you weren't paying attention. And that was all by the same teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You'd need to be an awful fúcker to make a kid drink a load of sour milk!

Nothing too odd for me. Just the usual "describe the inside of a golfball" essay, or play dodge the blackboard duster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Being beat on your left hand for writing with it. No lefties in my school!

Its dawned on me that "unusual" is very age related
    Being brought up in Wales, and going to a school that wasnt run by sadist religious nuts the worse punishment we would get was either Hands on heads, Arms in the Air or Lines.

A common one was the desks with seats that raised - you'd be made stand with the seat down, so that your legs could not straighten. "stress position" essentially. That became more popular after beating the shit out of people was banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

Being brought up in Wales was punishment enough I'd say :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Being beat on your left hand for writing with it. No lefties in my school!
    Had my hand tied behind my back aged 4 and a half and slapped across the face repeatedly for trying to write with left hand.

Clothes peg (metal) on lips if you talked in junior infants.

Being made to hold a piece of chalk against the blackboard with my nose.

Put on knees before the class altar for aking if I could go to the bathroom outside of "fixed toilet trip time."

Yard-stick (pre metric age)across the legs-it was used sideways for extra soreness. God bless the sisters of "Mercy."

Funnily enough, I went on to be a primary teacher, mainly because of these people, I figured I'd have to be able to do better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

We had a P.E teacher in school that hated if you forgot your kit.

There was an overweight kid in our class that "forgot" his P.E stuff and was made wear a football bib(nothing underneath) and a tight pair of shorts to play dodgeball. Poor guy was never the same. What a wanker!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Being force-fed cocaine would have been fairly unusual punishment when I was going to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

One of the punishments in our school was to write out pages of the phonebook, with your work to be torn up in front of you when it was handed up. I thought it was a bit mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nodin wrote: »
    Twas often the only lunch available. All the long day, you'd look forward to being able to bite some fellah. And if father hadn't earned enough money dancing for the Nuns, it would be your dinner too.

School was hard enough in those days, we didn't have such luxuries like water. Ma & Pa would have Hydrogen in one hand, Oxygen in the other and then slam them together to create water.

Another odd punishment was to write meaningless 5 page essays about the inside of a football only for the teacher to throw it in the bin without even looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ones I have seen

Carry one of the old cast iron desks up three flights of stairs to get signature underneath the one the student had carved on the desk, then take the desk back to the class

Write a letter to ones parents explaining why one was being suspended, letters were collected, students left to stew for 48 hours, before the Priests say Lads we were only taking the piss. (those what phoned home failed to see the funny side)

Smoking £10.00 fine or or hour picking up litter at 0600

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

I had to go and stand in the bathroom for an hour once in primary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Being made to stand on a chair while the teacher grabbed you buy the lock on your head and then kicked the chair away.

Being hit in the head by a basketball, duster or chalk for not paying attention.

The Brothers could be right bastards all right but the worst level of abuse was always from the normal teachers who I saw beat kids like a Mike Tyson boxing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I spent many lunchtimes with a sweeping brush and told to sweep the foyer.

And when I got a barman job the school janitor was having a pint and saw me cleaning the bar and said he trained me well at cleaning, ****er :mad:

You should have said to him "Yeah and this job has trained me well at barring people so put the fcuking pint down, mop-boy, and hit the pavement!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

For talking a teacher made me kneel facing the wall at the top of the classroom for the duration of a lesson. Every now and again he would throw blue-tack at me. The class would laugh. This was 6th class. :eek: FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Clothes peg (metal) on lips if you talked in junior infants.
    That's a really good one.

I must remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mirza

Jezzz...

And I thought standing in the corner for a while was bad..

When I was in primary school, not that long ago, the worst was the psychological terror. The teacher (a great one I should add) would give one person a piece of paper and a pen.

That person then had to write down the names of anyone who talked while the teacher dealt with the other classes. One biatch always got to do it and anyone she didn't like....well you get the idea! I missed many lunch breaks in the yard because of her, and I didn't even talk. Well, not all the time anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I was told to sit in the corner of the room on the floor and continue my work there for breaking a guys pen.

Not an entirely unusual punishment, thing was I was in 6th year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Had a primary schoolteacher who had her son also in our class, she used to sew his pockets up so to stop him putting his hands in there. The bloke was lets say mightily embarassed for all his years there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That's a really good one.

I must remember it.
    Needless to say, it gave me lips like Cowen :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When I was about 5 or 6 I had a bad stammer and I couldn't get a sentence out when I was asking the teacher something so she made me stand up in front of the class and say it until I could say it properly. It took forever because I was crying so much and couldn't speak. :(

What a cúnt! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Unusual ...... or maybe sick ...... in primary school I saw a kid in my class who wore a tie other than the 'school tie' and the "Christian" Brother tied it about his ankles and then hung him upside down on a coat hook.

The same teach used a cane regularly and broke many on our hands ...... I reckon he was lucky to die before any of us got our hands on him .... sick ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I don't think kids get the free milk that we got, it was in a glass bottle 1/3 of a pint. Anyway I told my teacher mine was sour and I was made drink it. Sour milk is good for you was what I was told. Nasty cnut.

Leathers, yardsticks, etc, onr guy had a round rail from a cot or the back of a chair, it had a nail knocked through it and bend around it. From what I remember I he never actually hit you with the nail part; it was more for psychological purposes. Leathers with coins sewn into them to think that was the norm. Corporal punishment was banned just as I left primary and moved into secondary, however, I found it got more physical once I left primary, I was hit once in primary with by a teacher using his hands; this became more common one I hit secondary school.

Some of the stuff was terrible and that is without the sexual stuff. I grew up in an area where there was a well known pedo priest operating. All the kids knew and it was there same with the Brothers we all Brother X like to feel your "mickey", the worest thing was it wasn't only Brother X, there was a Y and a Z too. It's mad to look back on it and think that most kids in the area knew, but couldn't say anything about it. Though that's what the fcukers needed to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I got a fair few pieces of chalk and dusters thrown at me for not paying attention... we always got the old reliable - made stand with the seat down, so that your legs could not straighten... Got the essays about the inside of golf balls, writing out the phonebook, lines etc.

Strange to think this was about 15 years ago... It'd be front page news if it happened today! Stupid PC society. Did us no harm.

(I'm talking after corporal punishment.... that was just sick and wrong... screwed a lot of people up in the head)

Advertisement