Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pensioners to loose out

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Dudess wrote: »
    Raar! Down girl! :pac:

Sorry, it's my retardness that makes me frisky. :( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Surely he would have thought of the ramifications of supporting a young person through their teens and possibly university and planned accordingly, because 16 years ago the state pension wasn't that generous. To expect it would have become so would have been an almighty gamble.

Well it was a shock when the last child came along nobody was expecting it and my father always had decent savings put away to cover educational exspences but after he was forced to retire money went bad. He never expected to be forced to retire or be screwed over the money he was owed I don't think anyone expects it to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Goldenegg wrote: »
    If im being completely honest with you, I don't know the reason why. I know that when my mam retired her pension was messed up within her company.

I just think we can't put every pensioner into the same catagory of drinking every hour of the day in the pub etc. Most pensioners really rely on their state pension. I will admit, some can survive better than others. ( I will probably be eaten for this comment). We will all be old some day and claiming our pensions which we have worked long and hard for. I think they should be left alone in this coming budget and as I previously stated, I think the government should have a look closer to home ( within Leinster House), and come down a peg or two in regards to their own wages and perks.

So the company messed up their occupational pension entitlement. She still paid into it, so why hasn't she claimed/sued whoever is responsible?
    Pocketfizz wrote: »
    My mother is sadly not able to work and after constant phone calls to different places they just keep saying she isn't entitled to anything else. My father was forced into retirement at 57 due to heart problems after he spent 40 years paying into a pension with them they wouldn't pay it out. As for the mortgage there is still a few months on it left that's all.

If she is not able to work, why is she not on disability allowance? Or perhaps a carers allowance if she is able to care for your father? Something is not right.

Your in the same boat as Goldenegg, why has your father not chased that occupational pension he paid into for 40yrs? If that was me, legal action would be pronto.

gurramok wrote: »
    If she is not able to work, why is she not on disability allowance? Or perhaps a carers allowance if she is able to care for your father? Something is not right.

Your in the same boat as Goldenegg, why has your father not chased that occupational pension he paid into for 40yrs? If that was me, legal action would be pronto.

She was denied carers allowance apparently only one heart attack means he was still not sick enough.

My father had so many hassle over this basically because my father went to his own doctor and not the one recommended by his company it means he is stuck with what he has it's ridiculous. We tried everything but sadly no luck everyone was against him that we have met with or spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Goldenegg wrote: »
    And you know this how? My parents are pensioners. They dont have medical cards. My mother is on medication which costs her 100 euro per week which then leaves her with little over 100 for the rest. They have to pay their phone bill and esb like everyone else.

The only reason your parents would not be getting a medical card would be because either their combined household income is over the limit required to recieve one (the medical card has been means tested since Jan 2009), and/or they have savings in excess of €72,000.

There is also a G.P card which may be available to them and the drugs payment scheme, which would mean your mother would not have to pay over €120 per month for prescriptions.

Not sure of your folk's age, but the household benefits package is open to all pensioners aged 66-69 receiving the state pension. If they are under that age, they would be subject to a means test.

I do understand it's hard for some pensioners to get by, but as someone else mentioned, those over the age of 66, do get an incredible amount of help with the basic costs of living such as free travel, heating, ESB, TV licence and phone line rental, even though they will most likely have no dependants, no mortgage or low council rent and a much lower grocery bill than younger families.

How would a €5 decrease make a huge dent to their cost of living, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well it was a shock when the last child came along nobody was expecting it and my father always had decent savings put away to cover educational exspences but after he was forced to retire money went bad. He never expected to be forced to retire or be screwed over the money he was owed I don't think anyone expects it to happen.

There is something amiss with this story, either your parents aren't claiming all they're entitled too or there is something more to this (which is understandable not saying on a public forum). The circumstances your parents find themselves in is far from the typical pensioner couple scenario though, which is what I was referring to.

She was denied carers allowance apparently only one heart attack means he was still not sick enough.

My father had so many hassle over this basically because my father went to his own doctor and not the one recommended by his company it means he is stuck with what he has it's ridiculous. We tried everything but sadly no luck everyone was against him that we have met with or spoken to.

Why is he not entitled to the medical card or even a GP visit card? It don't make sense that they are a family that needs welfare who get feck all and yet don't get all their entitlements.:confused:

There is something amiss with this story, either your parents aren't claiming all they're entitled too or there is something more to this (which is understandable not saying on a public forum). The circumstances your parents find themselves in is far from the typical pensioner couple scenario though, which is what I was referring to.

My mother isn't a pensioner just my father and everything I am saying is the way it is. They get phone numbers to ring, forms to fill out and meetings to attend over different matters but it's all the same they just get denied everything for silly reasons.

gurramok wrote: »
    Why is he not entitled to the medical card or even a GP visit card? It don't make sense that they are a family that needs welfare who get feck all and yet don't get all their entitlements.:confused:

He was told last week that he is finally entitled to one so the forms were sent off, that's a weight off his mind the tablets he's on are very expensive.

He was told last week that he is finally entitled to one so the forms were sent off, that's a weight off his mind the tablets he's on are very expensive.

Thats good news then!

What were the silly reasons for refusing the family the other entitlements? I think either FIS or SWA they maybe entitled to and the mortgage is a legit expense.

Actually, I think you should put their case in the State Benefits forum to help you understand the system more so they will have more ammo when they meet the CWO next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

:) Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

brummytom wrote: »
    Loose pensioners

Ugh

Ugh? You're not fooling anyone Brum.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Voltex wrote: »
    Just looking at the evening hearld and the main shock and awe story was the "unbelieveable" story that pensioners are going to be hit in the budget. When i read a bit more it would seem that the propsal is for a 2.5% reduction...equal to on average €5 p/w.

Now..call me mean spirited or what...but sod em!!
    They in general dont have mortgages...kids to bring up...pensions to pay for!!
    Im all for a social welfare society....but lets face facts here. For Ireland to recover we need to get middle Ireland spending again and to expect the likes of the old age pensioner to get away scot free is bolli x quite frankly!!

Would you like to be treated like what you are suggesting after working 40+ year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Can we make them into food instead? They would be more useful as fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

I think a cut down to 200 would still be too generous. :eek:

Could someone outline a realistic weekly budget where they could exceed such generous benefits?

Come on, lets be 'avin you simpletons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They've kept Finna Fail in power most of their lives and many think Bertie is a great fella.
    At the very minimum, a decrease in line with the drop in the cost of living can't be argued against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Millicent wrote: »
    Yeah, less of the personal attacks there keyboard warrior. What's your point besides trying to insult me? I'm aware of how house purchases work.

You can't say someone is financially responsible because they bought a property many years ago, that was the basis of your point. I know many a pensioner who remortgaged their home to buy investment properties, was that frugal? or the ones who refinanced to have a bit of extra spending money as their homes was worth so much more, was that frugal?

It’s easy to generalise and say someone was smart because they bought their home 30 odd years ago and have it paid off now.

How about the fact that pension payments have rocketed in the last 10 years and not because the recipients were paying more tax, it was caused solely by the property bubble, the government had more money than they knew what to do with and they passed it out to everyone, it’s only fair now that when the money is no longer available those who benefited most from the increases from the government generosity lose out.

And I never said you were retarded, I asked the question to emphasis how weak your opening point was. I said your point was retarded and if you have a problem with that report me.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

bloody coffin dodging, oxygen thieving bastards them pensioners, smell like glue too
    phasers wrote: »
    Screw em, put them all on an island and let God sort it out

We could film it and sell the broadcasting rights internationally to help with the deficit
    Ruu wrote: »
    Can we make them into food instead? They would be more useful as fodder.
    They'll be dead soon enough as well, **** 'em.
    If these old boys are so great why was the country bollixed till the mid 90's?

take everything off them i say

So what are you (and a few others) planning for your retirement/old age?

Advertisement