Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC ALARM Installation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jodel

Yes I did and I am certain that 1 is connected to 1 etc up to 4 -4. Wire is a foot log and each wire and connection checked for continuity with a multimeter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just to be sure have you tried connecting each keypad directly on its own.
    Also is there anything else on the keypad bus, like an expander.

No. There are no extras added - it is just a standard control panel.
    Just wondering if the red LED in the middle of the board is any help? I recall seing it flash before but now it is off. What is it for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That sounds like a comms issue. Have you tried powering the panel down completely and powering up again.

Yes. I have powered it down, disconnected the battery and repowered it several times.

• Advertisement

If your 100% on the wiring being correct I would say its the PCB on the panel.
    To be 100% I'd connect those keypads to another panel and see if they work ok.

Both keypads were new out of the box and both behave the same. I suspect the PCB also. I do not have access to another panel to test the keypads so I will have to go back to to supplier for a replacement panel. Thanks for the help.

Your welcome. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jodel wrote: »
    Both keypads were new out of the box and both behave the same. I suspect the PCB also. I do not have access to another panel to test the keypads so I will have to go back to to supplier for a replacement panel. Thanks for the help.

Could be a device attached to the system pulling it down.
    I would disconnect all bells, battery and any powered devices to rule that out.
    Failing that it has to be the board itself.

Changed the PCB in the control panel to a new one and the problem is solved.

• Advertisement

Had an idea that was the problem. Glad all is good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Light Buzzyear

Hi guys,

I've encountered some intermittent "Code Tamper" faults on a number of SW812s with GSM diallers.

In each case the keypad will be beeping and a text alert will be sent. Neither the internal or external sounders is triggered. Entering the user code cancels the "Code Tamper" fault.

This happens typically every 1-3 months. I've seen this on three separate (but identical spec) units, from two different installers. There is no obvious or known reason for the "Code Tamper" fault, e.g. works being carried out on the system, a sensor or component being hit, vibration close to any alarm component.

By chance I happened to be close to one of the keypads with the alarm system was unset when it started beeping and a tamper code being recorded.

It's relatively minor nuisance in the greater scheme of things, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it and haven't been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it, known failure modes, firmware bugs or fixes, would be greatly appreciated.

LB

Hi guys,

I've encountered some intermittent "Code Tamper" faults on a number of SW812s with GSM diallers.

In each case the keypad will be beeping and a text alert will be sent. Neither the internal or external sounders is triggered. Entering the user code cancels the "Code Tamper" fault.

This happens typically every 1-3 months. I've seen this on three separate (but identical spec) units, from two different installers. There is no obvious or known reason for the "Code Tamper" fault, e.g. works being carried out on the system, a sensor or component being hit, vibration close to any alarm component.

By chance I happened to be close to one of the keypads with the alarm system was unset when it started beeping and a tamper code being recorded.

It's relatively minor nuisance in the greater scheme of things, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it and haven't been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it, known failure modes, firmware bugs or fixes, would be greatly appreciated.

LB

A code tamper on the GSM is the wrong code being texted to the GSM.
    This usually happens if the service provider sends a text of a promotional offer. This can be turned off with your provider so you don't receive these texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Light Buzzyear

Cheers Altor. I've contacted the telecoms SIM provider and have done as advised. I'll keep an eye on it over a month or two and let you know how it goes. Much appreciated. Thanks. LB

Cheers Altor. I've contacted the telecoms SIM provider and have done as advised. I'll keep an eye on it over a month or two and let you know how it goes. Much appreciated. Thanks. LB

That should sort it for you LB.
    Any other issues let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Hi,

Just a quick question, I have had a new window installed and had to remove the previously fitted magnetic/shock sensor.
    I wish to now install a HKC shock sensor where the previously magnetic/shock sensor was, but I just can't seem to get it to work.
    The wiring on the old sensor was:
    1. Pin 1 Link
    2. Pin 2 Link
    3. Pin 3 blue wire Tamper
    4. Pin 4 Yellow wire Tamper
    5. Pin 5 Yellow wire sensor
    6. Pin 6 Black wire Feed Spare

I have removed the link wire from pin 1&2, and reconnected the wires to the new HKC shock sensor as above, but in engineer mode it shows the zone open. I am at a loss to what it might be, when I reconnect the old sensor it works fine with no "Open zone"
    The old and new sensors look identical with the exception of the magnetic reed contact on the older sensor.

Any help would be very appreciative,

If I get the shock sensor working on its own, can you also tell me how to run/connect a cable from the shock sensor to also run to the magnetic/shock sensor on the second section of the new window

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

when you say pin link do you mean 1 and 2 were linked together with a piece of wire?

Thanks John,

Not sure on your reply,

What I have is on the original shock & read sensor:
    1. Pin 1: Reed/Spare Link wire
    2. Pin 2: Sensor - Link Wire
    3. Pin 3: Tamper - Blue wire
    4. Pin 4: Tamper - Yellow wire
    5. Pin 5: Sensor - Red Wire
    6. Pin 6: Reed/Spare - Black Wire

Pin 1 & 2 on old shock/read sensor joined with a piece of wire.

I have connected new shock only sensor - removed the link wire on pin 1 & 2. and connected the blue, yellow, red & black wires to terminal/pin 3,4,5 & 6 respectively. And it shows zone open.

I have refitted a 2nd (different) shock/read sensor and this also works fine like the original sensor.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

the new sensor you have is shock only so the 2 outer terminals marked reed/contact are redundant in that one.
    the alarm circuit is the red and black and the tamper circuit is on the blue and yellow.
    put the blue and yellow wires into the middle 2 terminals (marked tamper) like before but now put the red and black wires into the terminals marked sensor. Leave the outer terminals empty as they are not working as your new sensor is only a shock sensor.
    terminal 1 empty
    terminal 2 black
    terminal 3 blue
    terminal 4 yellow
    termianl 5 red
    terminal 6 empty

the new sensor you have is shock only so the 2 outer terminals marked reed/contact are redundant in that one.
    the alarm circuit is the red and black and the tamper circuit is on the blue and yellow.
    put the blue and yellow wires into the middle 2 terminals (marked tamper) like before but now put the red and black wires into the terminals marked sensor. Leave the outer terminals empty as they are not working as your new sensor is only a shock sensor.
    terminal 1 empty
    terminal 2 black
    terminal 3 blue
    terminal 4 yellow
    termianl 5 red
    terminal 6 empty

Thanks John, tried over the weekend and all is working now.

many thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Hi folks, I recently bought a house that has a hkc alarm installed.

The previous owner gave me the engineer code for the system.
    Is there a list of commands anywhere for basic features like renaming zones, changing the text alert mobile numbers and changing the alarm code etc.
    Have searched a lot but all I can find is the end user manual. Would appreciate any help.

Hi ,
    I sent you some manuals & the menu map for those systems.
    If you need any help give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I sent you some manuals & the menu map for those systems.
    If you need any help give us a shout.

Exactly what i was looking for.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jpbrown1

Moved into my house and there was a phonewatch alarm installed but also a airetech cs350 also still installed the people that lived there said it still works fine it just needs a outside bell so from reading the post on here it seems that the hkc 1070 is a good panel also to have it monitored by myself or to text me i opened the main panel and it went off so seems ok the couple said when they got phone watch he put there bell up over where the old bell is and the wire is still there so would it be hard to swap old panel and keypad and outside bell is it just taking zone 1 from old and puting it into zone 1 on new panel and so on please help

If you are looking at self monitoring, text is on the way out in favour of IP which will give you notifications and full remote control of your system.
    With Systems like GSD , Siemens or Risco there would be no charge for apps or no running costs.
    With HKC there are charges for the apps & annual subscriptions to use the app.
    You will get more information here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You can use a voice dialler or GSM Q text/voice unit for use with the HKC system. They also have an app which costs €60 a year to use which covers all texts/ voice calls and push notifications. If you use either of the first two I suggested you get charged by your phone provider for whatever you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Again as others have said this is a really great thread.

Quick question on terminology as there seem to be so many different descriptions of sensors online. Only referring to HKC below:

Are Shock and Inertia the EXACT same thing?
    What does MC stand for - HKC have an "ID Contact & Shock (MC & Inertia)" sensor
    Is contact the same as reed?

What is the difference between these two products -
    http://www.securitydirect.ie/intruder-alarms/hardwire-systems/detectors/hkc-id-shock-sensor/
    http://www.securitydirect.ie/id-inertia-sensor/

So far I've bought from TradeElectric and Kellihers - neither of which seem to have much knowledge of the differences between the various items.

This HKC product matrix might be useful for someone.
    http://www.hkcsecurity.com/resource-files/Product_matrix.pdf

Thanks

Shock and inertia are the same thing.
    Contact is the same as reed.
    MC refers to a combined shock and contact.
    One of those sensors is a global wired inertia or MC the other is an ID sensor for use with HKC panels only where each sensor can be seen and programmed as a separate zone.

KoolKid wrote: »
    text is on the way out

Has to be the quote of the day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Trying to figure out single/dual EOL using the attached diagram and a HKC shock and contact sensor - SEN-WR.

So I wired up the sensor using the lower diagram - and thought it would be good to check before wiring to panel so tested it as shown
    using the meter which says 9K4?

Is this correct? I was expecting it to say closed - i.e. 4K7?

out of interest - the HKC manual only shows one resistor in its diagram for single EOL?

Any help thoughts much appreciated - there will only be one sensor on this zone.

Advertisement