Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Rebuild 3 - Down-week - Very Easy 5 Miles

The legs definitely object more after two days off than after one. Started my down-week on Wednesday after work. Temperature has dropped again so hat instead of headband.

I opt not to look at the Garmin at all and not to focus on any pace, let the legs decide for themselves. Run my go-to 5 miler Chapelizod loop. Some concern over the opening 100m as the left knee pangs on every stride. It's fine for the rest of the run although part of me is waiting for it to act up again. The right hammer is silent. The left hip/glute is a little achy. Legs were generally heavy and surprised to be back on the road. Final pace was a slow 9:01 min/mile. More time on the roller later in the evening.

From block two I plan on introducing some light strength and conditioning sessions to cover calves, hammers, quads and glutes. These should complement the time spent on the roller, and the pre and post run activations and stretches that already accompany 90% of my runs.

Total 5.06M @ 9:01 (average 137 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Down-week - 5M with 2M Steady

Start the long-weekend Friday night with a non-vanilla Chapelizod Loop. Legs are surprisingly unheavy. The right hammer is quiet as is the left knee, only the left hip-glute providing some light feedback this evening. Much milder than earlier in the week, I was braced for that cold air blast on the legs as I stepped outside but it never came, even my gloves were an exaggeration.

I ran without checking the Garmin from Kilmainham to Inchicore to Chapelizod. Once I crossed the bridge and was on the Parkside footpath I hit the lap button to start 2M of steady pace running. Steady pace is 7:3X pace. It feels more comfortable to be running steady than running easy. I feel pretty strong on this stretch back to Heuston. I complete the 2M @ 7:35 pace with an average bpm of 158.

More time on the roller later. The last few days I have been finishing the session with some targeted sliotar work on the left hip/glute. There is a tender spot and I work it for just about 10 to 15 seconds. I feel it might be helping.

Total 5.05M @ 8:28 (average 144 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Down-week - Easy 4 Miles

Caught for time this morning and needed to reduce this easy run from a 10K to 4M. Another dry and mild day. Legs felt generally ok, again only the left-glute/hip providing some faint ache. Ran into the Park at Island-bridge Gate and continued up the Khyber before dropping left down along Acres. Kids football matches in progress. Back out Islandbridge Gate and retrace my steps home. As short and easy 4 milers go this was fairly enjoyable.

That's 14 miles completed on this down-week. Goal is 50% to 66% of the lower end of total target mileage from the previous block, so 15 to 20 miles. Will run another short one in the morning.

Enjoying this downweek, but already feeling hungry to kick-off Block-2.

Total 4.00M @ 8:37 (average 137 bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Try and keep it going. Your targets are still possible.

Absolutely intend to keep this going. And I've been trying to keep a positive mindset. I have a whole year to slowly get back to a base level that I would be happy to then maintain and then apply 2/3 month race-specific tweaks for selected races.

One challenge this year could be work. This week for example it was stopped me posting here. Busy now and there is a tidal wave of busy coming around May.

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 - Down-week - Easy 5K

I finished my downweek last Sunday with a very un-Sunday like 5K distance easy run. Dry and sunny but chilly. The right hammer was good, the left knee was good and the left hip/glute felt better, just some faint ache. This was a short loop from Kilmainham to Inchicore, back along Emmet Road to James, down to Heuston and home via HSQ. Bit disappointed to see weight has gone up again, 75.1kg.

Spent the late morning and afternoon wandering around Malahide, beach, town and Castle Grounds, all on fairly fresh legs.

Happy to kick off Block 2 on Monday.

Total 3.15M @ 8:53 (average 125 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 1 Week 2

Ok something I want to avoid is falling behind on here. This week work was busy and I let the log slip in the evenings. So this entry covers the full first week of Block-2.

The main goal of Block-2 is to safely re-introduce sub-3 marathon pace. By sub-3 I intend a pace range covering marathon finishing times of 2:55:00 to 2:59:59, that is 4:08 to 4:15 min/km (6:40 to 6:51 min/mile). Aim is to run 2 miles at this pace in this block. Other goals of Block-2 are to increase weekly mileage into the 35 to 40 miles bracket, though really targeting the lower end of that range. I aim to increase my longest run to 12 miles, and I aim to exit Block-2 having run 4 miles at marathon PB pace.

Monday Easy Hour - Total 7.04M @ 8:33 (average 140 bpm)

Bank holiday Monday I got out late morning for any easy hour. Ran this on one of my two established easy hour routes. Into the Park at Islandbridge Gate, swing left and follow the road through the S-bends, down to Chapelizod Gate and up the Glen Road, OS Road and then the Chesterfield trail down to the bottom roundabout, out Park Gate and home via Heuston and HSQ (and today via a quick pit stop in SuperValu). I didn't glance at my total time until I hit stop on the Garmin outside home, 1:00:12. Impressed with that timing.

The run felt good, both legs operating with very little feedback, a few left knee pangs and a little left hip/glute ache. My stride felt fluid and comfortable on the trail descent down Chesterfield, brakes applied, combined with some sunshine finding its way through the clouds, this led to my first properly feel good run in a long time.

Wednesday - 5M with 2M @ MP - Total 5.03M @ 8:23 (average 144 bpm), with 2.00M @ 7:11 (average 165 bpm)

Out later than planned on this one. Ran my usual loop over to Chapelizod. Waited until I was over the bridge and onto the Chapelizod Road before hitting the lap button to start the 2M section at MP. Takes a little more effort than I'd like to arrive at target pace. Without a doubt faster paces are harder in the evening after a day sitting at the desk. Bring up a mile some distance before Islandbridge Gate. Most of the opening half of mile 2 is on a slight incline as I start along Conyingham Road, and then I finish more comfortably on a slight downhill opposite the courthouse.

I had no problems maintaining MP but still the prospect of targeting a marathon at this pace will clearly involve several more months of training. The hammer was quiet and there was only faint feedback from the left hip/glute I completed the MP section in 14:22, running at 7:11 pace, equivalent of a 3:08 finishing time.

Friday - Easy 5+ Miles - Total 5.50M @ 8:31 (average 143 bpm)

A rare pre-work run. I was travelling by train to Cork in the evening after work so this was the best time to complete this one. Legs felt better than I expected. Headed up Infirmary Road and into the Park. Run along a quiet North Road before swinging left at Ratra House, then swing left again for a descent down Chesterfield. Need again to focus on slowly down. Easy pace feeling easy. Right hammer continues to behave, left hip/glute continues to provide some light ache. Great to have this one in the bag so early. Again I tell myself that I should try run in the morning more often. Hard to believe that I once used regularly finish 10 milers before 7:00am.

Knowing I wouldn't have a scales on Sunday I weighed in after this one, 74.4kg, down 0.7kg since Sunday

Saturday - 4x800 @ Sub3 MP - Total 7.48M @ 8:09 (average 151 bpm) average 800 @ 6:48

Out Saturday morning in Cork for this one. Head to Dunkettle and Tivoli for some stretches of flat running. I was happy to be introducing sub3 MP today, looking forward to asking the legs and lungs to work harder than they have in a while. Each 800 should log between 3:18 and 3:24. I start the first 800 shortly after the Vienna Woods Hotel. Enjoyed overtaking a runner that had been 100m up the road ahead of me. Swing right at the roundabout to finish the first 800 along the dual carriageway. Log a 3:27, too slow. It'll take some time before I become familiar with the required pace. 400m recovery then into the next 800. My enjoyment is dampened a little as I detect a very light tingle from the right hammer during this. I suppose it's to be expected as I introduce this faster pace. No pain, no ache, just a very little tingle, low down behind the knee. The second 800 is an on target 3:23. I turn 180 and repeat the 800s in the opposite direction, logging 3:23 and a 3:21. Still some light hammer tingle on these.

Timely reminder that this rebuild program is designed to slowly and cautiously intoduce faster paces. I need to keep the healing curve ahead of the training load. Engine wise sub3 pace felt ok, but realistically this is my tempo pace right now.

Sunday - 10M @ long run pace - Total 10.03M @ 8:12 (average 151 bpm)

Legs were very quiet on this one. Bearly a peep from the left hip/glute, and just around 100m of light right hammer tightness, higher up than yesterday's tingle. This was a fairly hilly route, especially a Roncobello style climb from Tivoli up Lovers Walk to Montenotte. I was breathing by the end of this climb. I'm doing my usual Sunday morning splitting and know that after 5 miles I am 42 seconds behind the slower end of target range. But the second half of the run is mostly downhill and I do move into target range by the end. The steep descent down Church Hill is hard on the legs as I actively apply some brakes. Enjoyed this one even if a little unhappy to see an average bpm of 151.

Legs felt ok for the rest of the day, including a couple of hours walking around Fota Island.

Block-2 up and running, all good, just a little concern round that tingle from the right hammer on Saturday. The left/hip glute and right hammer seem at times to be playing see-saw, as one calms down the other starts to act up.

Back to a post a run next week.

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 2 - Easy 5+ Miles

Started week-2 of block-2 yesterday after work in Cork. I had planned on getting this one done in the morning but I couldn't find the will-power.

No headlamp with me so running options are limited in the evening. I stuck with three laps of the block, in the Strava segment world, the 'RT Loop from Sars'. First lap in dusk, second lap in dark dusk, final lap in the dark. Had to stay attentive on some stretches as approaching headlights would blind my view of the footpath ahead.

There was some faint ache from the left hip/glute but otherwise all was good, legs felt surprisingly loose and responsive. The laps tipped by quickly. Dash to the shops afterwards for some throw-in-the-oven food ahead of a footie night, Milan from San Siro and then a roller session with a recording of the Brady documentary.

Total 5.26M @ 8:37 (average 139 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 2 - 6M with 3M @ MP

This was the toughest run so far in this rebuild. Marathon pace in itself was manageable but the profile of the 3 mile MP section made it quite challenging.

Beautiful bright sunny morning. I ran from Hazelwood through Riverstown to Glanmire, nearly all flat. When I reached the grotto just outside the village I hit the lap button on the Garmin to start the MP miles. The opening section was about making some hay and banking some distance at the faster end of target. Along here the pace felt ok very manageable. Once I turn left at the Dunkettle Roundabout things become interesting.

First up is the climb along the walkway up to the Dunkettle House entrance. I started this climb at 4:23 pace but by the end I was receiving too slow alerts at 4:30 pace. Lungs were working on the steeper sections.

Some respite once the hill was crested, a mostly downhill and flat section follows. Average pace moves back into the middle of target range. I prepare for the second climb around Eastcliff. I check the Garmin after a 100m or so of this climb and see 4:28 showing. I'm fairly convinced I'll see another too slow alert before I complete the climb, I hope not as I don't have too much road left after the hill to get back into range. Happily no too slow alert sounded. I crest the hill, consolidate pace on a steep descent and finish the MP section on the flat.

The 3 miles of MP were completed in 21:33 @ 7:11. According to Strava this can be converted to 6:56 pace based on the gradient of the hills. Average 161 bpm for the MP section. Pleased with the morning's work. Only some very light hip/glute ache to contend with.

Total 6.07M @ 7:53 (average 149 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 2 - Easy 5 Miles

Back in Dublin Thursday evening. The runs I find hardest to get motivated for are the midweek after work runs. Wasn't hugely in the mood for this one. Reminded myself that I should be grateful that I can get out and run, laced up and headed out. Windy but not cold this evening. I run my Chapelizod run. The legs are ok but there is some stiffness following a sit-down working day. A little ache from the left hip/glute but otherwise no feedback.

I don't look at the Garmin until a little after 3 miles has sounded, I see an average pace of 8:49, just inside my easy pace range. Check again after 4 miles and see 8:37 average. Finish the run at 8:35 average pace. Feeling ok. Day off now before Saturday's Sub3 MP run.

Total 5.02M @ 8:35 (average 139 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 2 - 1600 + (2x800) @ Sub3 MP

Out at lunchtime today. Tipped across to the Polo Grounds. The road loop is fully open again so no muddy diversions required today. I'm a little apprehensive ahead of this one and I'm noting a moderate westerly wind. I'm also hoping the hammer doesn't tingle at sub3 pace like it did last week.

First up is a 1600m section, pretty much a complete lap. This turns out to be much easier than I had expected. I find my pace settles toward mid 4:0X min/km pace and I need to focus on braking rather than on accelerating. The 1600 includes a flat headwind opening, a long wind assisted downhill and a crosswind climb to finish. Over before I know it. The two 800s are also managed without difficulty.

The 1600 is completed @ 6:43 pace and with an average 165 bpm, the 800s are completed at 6:43 min/mile and 6:38 min/mile respectively. Average bpm of 163 and 165. The hammer doesn't protest at all although it those provide some tingly feedback for 50m of the cool-down.

I've over loaded the weekend I think, it contains over 50% of my weekly total. I need to squeeze in additional mid-week miles next week and take some pressure away from the weekend.

Total 7.76M @ 8:18 (average 146 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 2 - 11+ Miles @ long run pace

First time running by the sea this year. Nice to be back. Headed out a little later than planned on Sunday morning and opted against the Park. Headed into town, past Trinity and Pearse and straight to Irishtown. The tide is in along Sandymount, a slight headwind to contend with. I find long run pace relatively easily today and find a comfortable rhythm. There is a faint presence from the left hip/glute. The right hammer is nearly completely silent aside from a 50m patch where it tingles a bit before settling down again.

Sandymount to Ballsbridge via Merrion Road. I cut across to Ranelagh, where I spot cherry blossoms for the first time this year, and on to Rathmines. Then it's follow the canal to Dolphins Barn and home via Rialto.

The legs felt ok for the rest of the day. Heartrate was improved on this run. The scales were also encouraging as I drop to 73.3kg. Half way through Block 2 now. Nice watching the Strava fitness curve continue to grow upwards as the weeks pass.

Time to purchase and start rotating with a new pair of Glycerins I think. The current pair has clocked close to 550 miles now.

Total 11.25M @ 8:10 (average 140 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 3 - Easy Hour

Started week 3 of this block on Monday night. I revisited my southside urban easy hour route. This was a route that is pretty boring and unremarkable but not having run it in so long meant there was some novelty value.

I noticed after 2 miles or so that I hadn't yet noticed my legs, this is good. There is light left hip/glute presence but only noticeable if I focus on it. The right hammer was quiet until another few strides of tingle along Clogher Road. I do plan on another PT trip once I've navigated this block and I think the focus will continue to be on the right hammer and left hip/glute.

I also wonder if this route features a little too much concrete. For the first time in a long time I detected a little lower back presence, and afterwards the legs were a little achy. Then again it might just be confirmation that the Glycerins need replacing. I didn't check the Garmin until after 4 miles when I had run down the length of Stannaway Road, average pace shows 8:49, so just inside target easy pace. Perfect.

This route ends on the hour mark only if I'm close to 8:30 pace, tonight instead I average 8:40 pace and so run 61mins in total.

Went to Athlone on Tuesday and had a work dinner immediately after the office so I knew I wouldn't be running Tuesday. Tonight I had planned on getting out for 4M at MP but a late work finish put paid to that. No promises but I will try get to bed early tonight and tick this one off before work in the morning, that would give me additional hours between MP and Sub3 MP on Saturday.

Total 7.05M @ 8:40 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 3 - 6M with 4M @ MP

Didn't get to bed early Wednesday evening, didn't get up early Thursday morning. So this one was run Thursday evening after a day sitting at the desk and after two days with no running. I expected the legs to feel worse than they did. Opted for Chapelizod Road. Running four lengths, lengths 1 and 3 toward Chapelizod, lengths 2 and 4 toward town.

The first length is maybe the toughest as the legs adjust to pace, the slight incline and the slight headwind. I get some too slow alerts from the Garmin as I drop slower than 4:30 min/km. Length 2 allows me recover a little and establish average pace back inside target range. Length 3 is not too bad, no too slow alerts. Pleased to turn 180 and start the final length back to Islandbridge Gate. There's a slight bend around halfway along the Chapelizod Road, on the Park side, and often there is a smell of something dead, tonight that smell was there.

Legs felt a little heavier than I'd have liked, and MP pace felt a little harder than I'd have liked. This is most definitely target MP and not my current MP. I ran the 4M section @ 7:06 pace (around a 3:06 marathon finish) and with an average bpm of 166.

That's the first objective of Block-2 completed.

Total 6.04M @ 7:58 (average 151 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 3 - Easy 4 Miles

In theory I finish work on Friday at 16:30, cannot remember the last time that happened. But I did finish early enough to get out before dark today so I could head for the Park.

The legs were not really happy to be running, some left glute tightness and just an all round general muscle malaise. Into the Park at Islandbridge Gate and run up the Khyber, take the cycle path across to Chesterfield and then descend to Park Gate. Home via HSQ. Of late it seems that on easy runs it takes 3 miles before I drop into easy pace range, which is fine.

Hope the legs feel more alert and happy for the weekend's running. It starts tomorrow with a 2400m + 800m at Sub3 MP run at the Polo Grounds.

Total 4.08M @ 8:46 (average 132 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 3 - 2400+800 @ Sub3 MP

Busy Saturday morning so didn't get out for this one until lunchtime. Eye on the clock to get back home in time for the rugby. Over to the Polo Grounds. As always I'm a little apprehensive ahead of my Saturday efforts and as (nearly) always it turns out to be fine and easier than expected.

Sub3 marathon pace on the menu. First up is a 2400m stretch. This is a full lap and then into another lap around two thirds back down Chesterfield. This went ok. Target time for the 2400 is anywhere between 9:55 and 10:12, I complete it in 10:04 @ 6:45 min/mile and with an average bpm of 162. Never struggling and never getting a too slow alert. Lords Walk climb I do detect an increase in effort level. A luxury 1200m of recovery before finishing with another 800m at Sub3. The profile of this stretch is favourable featuring a full Chesterfield descent, completed in 3:21 at 6:44min/mile pace, lower heartrate than during the 2400 stretch.

Legs felt generally ok, with some feedback from the left hip/glute, not during the sub3 sections, or at least I didn't notice it during the faster bits.

Home, shower and rugby.

Total 6.42M @ 8:05 (average 144 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 3 - 12 Miles @ long run pace

Last Sunday's run was my longest in months. A 12 miler on my go to 12 mile route. Weather was mostly ok, when the sun came out it was nearly cozy. The legs generally felt ok and at one point going down Acres they felt light and loose, I need them to feel like this more often. There was the omnipresent faint ache from the left hip glute but I mostly don't notice it, maybe I've just become completely accustomed to it.

My route took me from Kilmainham to Inchicore to Chapelizod. Into the Park at Chapelizod Gate and exit at Knockmaroon Gate, up Tower Road and down White's Road, then right onto OS and back to Chesterfield via Furze Road. North Road round to Ratra House and then right to the Phoenix and down Acres, S-bends to Wellington, out at Park Gate and back to Kilmainham via HSQ.

Pace was easy to dial in and easy to maintain. It is funny how more often than not I have to work at not going to fast on Sunday's (8:00 to 8:15 target) and have to work midweek on not going too slow on easy runs (8:30 to 8:49).

That now is two of Block-2 goals completed. Two miles @ Sub3 MP is the last box to tick in this block (assuming I will tick the 35 miles a week average).

Only little blot on the copy comes from the scales, where I have added 0.1kg since last week, I blame some pub-grub during Italy Ireland on Saturday.

Total 12.16M @ 8:09 (average 142 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 4 - Easy Hour

Another run round my south city winter-time route. As always I needed to quit stalling after work and just start running. Legs ok on this one, aside from the left hip/glute, faint ache as always. The right hammer behaved. After the run the left knee is a bit stiff and sore ascending stairs. Even now Thursday evening it is still a bit grumpy climbing stairs. Hope this passes. I wonder again if maybe there is a little too much hard concrete on this route, I think I'll stick closer to home on my next easy hour. Also I really must get new Glycerin's this weekend, getting very close to 600 miles on this pair.

Just like last week I checked average pace for the first time over 4 miles in, just after completely my descent of Stannaway Road. Last week it was showing 8:49 pace, this week instead 8:48 pace. Pretty good at naturally arriving at the slower end of target pace. Happy to have kicked of the final week of Block-2.

Total 7.05M @ 8:46 (average 133 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 4 - 6M with 1M @ Sub3

Just a little midweek reminder of sub3 pace, ahead of Saturday's 2M at sub3. How to make any faster than easy pace run feel a little more difficult than it should be: run it in the evening after a day at the desk, and run it on the Chapelizod Road.

I ran from home to Inchicore to Chapelizod. Over the bridge turn right back towards town. I inject the sub3 mile from Chapelizod Gate, half a mile downstream, a 180 turn and half a mile upstream. While this is perfectly manageable it feels harder than it should, I expect Saturday to feel easier despite it being twice the distance. I complete the mile in 6:42 (2:55 marathon finishing time) but at a higher than I'd like heartrate of 164 bpm. One of those moments that reminds me how far from 2020 form and fitness I have fallen, I refuse to let it bother me though.

I run towards town again and turn for home at Heuston. Left knee grumpy again after the run, but only going upstairs. The upcoming down-week combined with new shoes will hopefully allow the knee to recover and improve.

Total 6.08M @ 8:45 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 2 Week 4 - Easy 4 Miles

Out after work for an easy one to open the weekend.

At lunchtime I completed a glute focussed S&C session. Three sets of double-leg-glute-bridges, lateral-leg-raises and clamshells, all with a powerband. New shoes (tomorrow hopefully) and extra glute work will hopefully see this left hip ache start to disappear. It's not severe and it's not painful as such, but it's there on 95% of runs and my worry is that as the rebuild gets trickier it could be aggravated. I also wonder if the left knee is sore because of the hip/glute. Speaking of the left knee, it was better today and was fine during the short run.

Just an out and back to Chapelizod. Cold stepping out this evening. The legs were generally good, I was expecting them to be grumpier. I was thinking about my rebuild while running. I've decided that if I fail to hit all my goals in any block, I will simply finish the block, run my downweek, and repeat the block until I do hit all the goals. I don't want to push into a new block unless I've properly ticked off the previous block. Hopefully I won't need to repeat any blocks until much further into rebuild, if at all.

Total 4.03M @ 8:48 (average 132 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 – Block 2 Week 4 – 7M with 2M @ Sub 3 MP

Popped into town Saturday morning and picked up a pair of Glycerin 20s from Run Logic in Temple Bar. They feel slightly bigger than the 19s, but it could just be my imagination. I debuted them a few hours later around the Polo Grounds.

Chilly conditions this afternoon and a mile in I was regretting not bringing gloves. Close to two full laps of the Polo Grounds Road Loop are run at sub3 MP, which did help to heat up the hands a little. In general the pace felt manageable. I did get a too slow alert at the top of the first Lords Walk ascent. I often get a too slow alert here when targeting whatever pace so nothing of concern, the next Chesterfield descent takes care of it. Right now the prospect of adding another 24.2 miles at this pace seems like utter madness, pure folly, and I push the thought out of my head. Heartrate at 164 is higher than I’d like for the 2 miles. They were completed at 4:10 min/km (6:42 min/mile), hold that for a full marathon and I’d finish in 2:55, faster end of my sub3 range.

Finished the sub3 section I continue up Chesterfield before heading down the Khyber and home.

The new shoes fitted fine, were very comfy and had a bounce that was missing from the old pair. I also think they are raised a little extra in front to help launch your stride from your fore-foot, again this could just be my imagination. I’m not going to rotate them with the old pair of 19s, the latter are too hard on the legs I think and so are now fully retired. If after 150/200 miles I’m still happy with the 20s then I’ll pick up another pair or two before they inevitably get phased out.

Legs felt generally ok Saturday with minimal fuss from the left hip/glute and from the right hammer.

Total 6.94M @ 8:02 (average 152 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 2 Week 4 – 11M+ at long run pace

Sunday morning I repeated my 11 miler route from two weeks ago. It’s so much more comfortable a ride in the new shoes. Stride feels good and natural, legs feeling lighter than usual. I enjoy this one, taking in the Sunday morning activity around me. Manage a few hundred metres on the sand at Sandymount, very heavy underfoot here though. U-turn at the rail crossing to bring me onto Merrion Road and I head back home via Ballsbridge, Ranelagh, Rathmines, Dolphins Barn and Rialto.

No feedback from the right hammer that I can remember, and really minimal feedback from the left hip/glute. The engine felt fine and it was not demanding to hold average pace between 8:00 and 8:15. Legs almost felt normal this morning and I realise I’ve nearly forgotten what it feels like to run on normal legs. They also felt ok later while busy in the kitchen getting lunch ready.

Block-2 completed with all goals achieved: 4M @ MP, 2M @ Sub3 MP, longest run up to 12M, average weekly mileage between 35 and 40. Will enjoy the down-week now before starting block-3. I think the biggest challenges will be returning to the Brooks Tempos for the (gentle) reintroduction of Sub40 10K pace and I suspect pushing sub3 MP up to 4M will be demanding.

My first weigh-in at the start of this rebuild was 76.2kg, by the end of block-1 I had lost 1.8kg and weighed in at 74.4kg, and now at the end of block-2 I have lost a further 1.7kg and weighed in at 72.7kg, first time under 73kg in quite a while. Hope to be at least in the 71s coming out of block-3.

Total 11.31M @ 8:08 (average 137 bpm)  

Downweek

Hit my downweek running goals this week but was guilty of slacking off on the non-running stuff. Didn't use the roller nearly as much as I should have and took my eye of diet as well. Need to regain discipline from Block-3 onwards. Target mileage for the week was no more than 50% of my most recent training weekly mileage, so anywhere between 17.5 and 20 miles.

Tuesday - Easy 5K - Total 3.16M : 8:47 (average 128 bpm)

A gentle, don't look at the Garmin, 5K. Run from Kilmainham across to Inchicore. A u-turn at the Black Lion and back through James to Heuston. Very large and bright full moon showing this evening. The legs felt better than expected, with minimal fuss from the left hip/glute. Encouraging even if an unremarkable and forgettable run. Happy to sees heartrate settling sub 130.

Friday - Very Easy 4 Miles - Total 4.02M @ 8:59 (average 129 bpm)

Resumed this down-week running on Friday night after work. Fairly chilly out there, meant I'm in wooly hat and gloves. Keep this simple running an out and back along the Chapelizod Road. I run on the park side of the road, afraid that there could be icy patches on the more sheltered river side.

Some light tingling from the right hammer (clearly just when the left hip/glute has quietened down). At times I feel that a downweek invites issues, kept latent during proper training, to come to the surface.

Saturday - 5M with 2M @ Steady Pace - Total 5.12M @ 8:20 (average 141 bpm)

This run is primarily intended to ensure that the legs don't get too relaxed during the downweek. Headed to the playing fields for this. Two miles equates to one full lap plus around 0.4 of a mile. Wet and slightly windy this morning, with snow visible on the Dublin mountains in the distance. Some more light tingles from the right hammer, not painful nor uncomfortable, just a little concerning. Engine wise I had no issues with Steady Pace, aside from some too fast alerts at the outset. All very manageable and the legs probably felt better running steady than easy. Two miles completed in 15:10 @ 4:43 min/km. Passed 300 miles for the year on this run.

Sunday - 10K+ - Total 6.45M @ 8:25 (average 141 bpm)

Huge difference between today's and yesterday's weather. Dry and much milder today with winds to deal with only on Acres. Ran from the Criminal Courts to the Hole in the Wall by following the perimeter road outside the Park. Entered the Park at the pedestrian entrance and started the downhill stretch from here past the Phoenix and down Acres. Followed the S-Bends to Islandbridge and home from there.

Legs felt ok and, dare I say it, at times good this morning. Hit my down-week mileage. Scales prove that I really did slack off on diet, as they read 73.1kg. Hopefully the last time for a while that I see 73.XXkg or greater

Looking forward now to Block-3 - where the MP and Sub3MP sessions look likely to be the most challenging.

Post edited by outforarun on

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – Easy Hour

Block-3 started Monday evening. The goals for this block are:

• increase weekly mileage to 40-45 Miles
    • increase longest run to 14M
    • run 6M @ MP
    • run 4M @ Sub3 MP
    • run 1M @ Sub40 10K pace

That's a tastier set of objectives than those hit in block-1 and block-2. I'm most concerned about the 4M @ Sub3 MP. And I hope sub40 pace won't feel too tough, it's been a while.

Monday night was a gentle opener, an easy hour on my Crumlin route. Probably won't be too many more of these as the evenings get longer and the easy hour returns to the Park.

The legs felt surprisingly ok this evening. After a long day at the desk I was braced for stiff uncooperative legs but instead they were loose and not really complaining. I think the new Glycerins are helping, didn't feel the concrete as much. Once again I don't look at the Garmin until I've reached the end of Stannaway Road, tonight it show's 8:42min/mile pace, so on target and a little quicker than the last couple of runs here. I felt the miles passed quicker than normal as well, maybe because I was enjoying the run more. Happy with a final bpm of 133.

Legs ok afterwards, and another roller and core session gets logged.

An encouraging start then to block-3. The first test arrives quickly though with 5M @ MP planned for Tuesday evening.

Total 7.05M @ 8:40 (average 133 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – 10K with 5M @ MP

I passed the first test of block-3 last night.

The hardest part might have been just getting out the door. Busy at work, too busy at work. Looking forward to some days off over the next while. Both Monday and Tuesday were longish and non-stop days and while it's great to get a run in it's tricky to get straight out the door after logging off. There is a temptation to grab some food and hit the sofa. Instead it's: into gear, pre-run activations (heels and hammers), run, post-run stretches (hip-flexors), shower, roller and core session - and only then food and sofa.

I ran a gentle lap of my Royal Oak Loop (still leader of this segment 3 years on) and as I complete the lap I hit the lap button on the Garmin to start the 5M section. Plan is a full lap of my Kilmainham-Inchicore-Chapelizod-Islandbridge-Heuston-Kilmainham loop.

The opening mile it takes a while to get up to pace as I start a little too slow and as the lighting in spots isn't great so I have to stride carefully. But once I hit target range the too-slow alerts stop and when I arrive in Chapelizod the too fast alerts start. Stride feels solid, legs feel ok, engine is working but not stressing at all. Have to ease up a little. Feeling generally strong as I head along the Park side of Chapelizod Road. The Garmin hopping between 'In range' (4:23) and 'Ahead' (4:22). I ease up a fraction but generally I'm waiting for the slight incline after Islandbridge Gate and the steeper climb from Heuston up the Luas tracks to ensure I finish in range.

Complete 4 miles near the bus depot and start into mile 5, this is the longest distance run at MP in several months. I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm naturally falling on the faster rather than on the slower end of target pace. The Luas hill does knock a second or two off average pace as expected and I finish the 5 miles in 35:27, average pace of 4:24 min/km [7:05 min/mile]. Pace for a 3:05:XX marathon.

Pleased with this and hopefully the average bpm of 163 will drop for MP runs over the next weeks.

Total 6.37M @ 7:34 (average 153 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – Easy Hour

Out Friday morning for a Paddy's Day run. Had to work on keeping the pace down for this one. Wore a green Cork City top for the day that was in it and along the towpath to Chapelizod I got one (positive) call-out because of it. There was some presence from the left hip/glute, not totally unexpected after 2 days without running. Tricolour outside Aras. A mini diversion behind the Polo Grounds. Then out at Islandbridge and home.

Felt generally ok for this run. However later on Paddy's we strolled up to the Papal Cross and on this walk my left knee started to complain. I think it might be my casual shoes and that they are flatter and less cushioned than my runners. I've been wearing a retired pair of yellow Asterias as casual shoes, but didn't wear these midweek. I decide I'll start civilian usage of my just retired Glycerin 19s as well. Hopefully this left knee soreness will work itself out.  

Total 7.05M @ 8:30 (average 138 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – 4x400 @ Sub40 10K Pace

Spent a rainy Saturday morning around town. Wore the recently retired Glycerin 19s as casual shoes and the difference was very noticeable. Soft and cushioned and the knee felt better than yesterday. Hopefully wearing these more frequently will help the knees.

Another new pair of shoes have their debut Saturday afternoon. A black and orange pair of Brooks Hyperion Tempos. These have been patiently awaiting their debut since I purchased them last July down in Bray. I retired their white and black predecessors (which will also now be assigned to civilian duty). The new Tempos feel snug and have a nice touch and contact with the ground.

As I climb over the humpback bridge of Islandbridge the left knee complains for a stride or two, sore enough. This isn't the same pain that I had two years ago, this is more to the front, I don't think it is IT band related. This was the only complaint from the knee on the run, and it was generally ok during the day after the run, but it did mean that I ran the rest of the run tense, waiting for the knee to hurt again.

Up the Khyber and down to the Polo Grounds. And time to reintroduce sub40 10K pace after a very long absence. I used call this tempo pace, but it's faster than tempo really, so I'm calling it what it is, sub40 10K pace. The range is 3:55 (6:18) to 3:59 (6:24) and it will be the second fastest pace of this rebuild. The 400s should log around 1:34 or 1:35.

The pace is manageable and the legs don't object. I'm looking ahead already, I feel this block 1M at this pace will be doable, but next block where 2M is on the agenda, that will be a test. The 400s are run in: 1:33.91, 1:34.99, 1:35.52 and 1:32.50. Average 1:34.23 so 3:55 (6:19) pace. Thankfully no protests from the legs.

Tip home for an S&C session, focusing on the glutes, hammers and core, and then out to the local for the rugby.

Total 7.51M @ 8:20 (average 139 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 1 – 12M (@ long run pace)

Left knee was much improved and stayed quiet for the whole run. A tiny bit of left hip/glute presence at the outset but it settled down, and the right hammer was also quiet. Encouraging. Nice weather as well, a little chilly when I first stepped out but I ran with only a t-shirt on top for the first time this year and it was fine after a mile or two.

Despite several Grand Slam Guinness yesterday, I felt fairly fresh this morning. The engine was good and I had to concentrate to stay inside target range (8:00 to 8:15). I logged a few too many miles the wrong side of 8:00: M2 7:46, M3 7:40, M6 7:47, M12 7:56. The first two probably because I was running uphill and over compensated.

I ran this around my usual 12 miler route and the real proof that the legs weren't bothering me was when I took a wrong turn while daydreaming near the end and left the Park at Island Bridge rather than continuing up Wellington and out Park Gate. I continued to Park Gate along Conyngham Road. Actually works out closer to 12M with this diversion so I'll use it in future.

Pleased with this run. And also very pleased with today's weigh-in: 71.3kg (I double-checked more than twice). That's 4.9kg lost since starting this rebuild and I think the legs are starting to appreciate it.

First 40M week since the start of October. All told, a good start to block-3.

Total 12.11M @ 8:01 (average 143 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – Easy Hour

Started the week with an easy hour on Monday morning. Legs felt surprisingly ok on this one, maybe just having the day off helped. Bumped into one of the Donore Crew and stopped to chat for a few minutes, good to catch up and ended up remembering this old Saturday session, where he came home before me ...

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/112521122/#Comment_112521122

I check for the first time this morning as I travel down Chesterfield, I see 8:30 min/mile showing and I immediately ease up. This is the easiest 8:30 pace has felt all year, feels like I'm barely jogging. Enjoying this. Out Parkgate and home via HSQ. I complete the loop in one hour and 5 seconds. Pleased with this start to the week.

Total 7.02M @ 8:34 (average 134 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – 10K with 3M @ Sub3 MP

I was off work Tuesday and Wednesday but didn't get to run either day. Spent a sunny Tuesday morning clocking up over 20000 steps around Dollymount and St.Annes', come late afternoon the legs felt tired and I didn't fancy the prospect of 3M at Sub3 pace. I was travelling pretty much all day on Wednesday from Dublin to Macroom, around Cork, and back to Dublin late. So I didn't get back on the road until Thursday evening.

The legs felt heavy after my midweek break and after a desk-bound day. I ran my usual Kilmainham-Inchicore-Chapelizod-Islandbridge-Heuston loop. After a little over a mile, at the start of the Ballyfermot Road, I hit lap on the Garmin and start the Sub3 session. It takes a while to build up to pace. There is an initial incline to deal with and there is a very heavy soaked-in-10-seconds shower with a stiff headwind to keep things interesting. The descent down to Chapelizod gets me on pace. The stretch along Chapelizod Road demands concentration but I'm mostly running at the fast end of target pace, Garmin showing either 4:08 or 4:07 with some too fast alerts. The incline up Conyngham Road scrubs some speed off and I finish the sub3 section near the bus depot.

That was demanding enough, but I remind myself I was coming cold after a two day break, it was an evening post work run and I was holding pace in the faster end of my target range. I complete the 3 miles in 20:08 @ 6:43 min/mile pace with an average 161 bpm.

Tack on some additional minutes around my Royal Oak loop to bring up 10K for the evening. Happy with the run. Legs didn't complain.

Biggest concern at the moment is the left knee which is complaining a bit when not running, especially ascending stairs. I iced it later in the evening and that seemed to help. Again I don't think this is IT band related, it's more to the front. Hopefully it sorts itself out.

Total 6.23M @ 7:57 (average 145 bpm)

Advertisement