Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

Shenshen wrote: »
    Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
    Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
    In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?

So weird. I have just been thinking this for the past week. You always hear people say "aaah **** I hate cats"

I heard it since I was about 8 or 9 years old, when a few of my friends would say it. I don't know if they were allergic to them but they loved dogs.

But down through the years you always hear people say it again and again. I prefer dogs and cats are generally assholes but they are pretty funny tbh. I don't get the hate, it's like it's a standard thing to say if you prefer dogs or somthing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

ScumLord wrote: »
    Cat aids for one.

Just because cats lick themselves you shouldn't think they're clean by human standards. I don't understand how people can think that cat spit equals clean for humans. Would you eat a hairball that a cat coughed up?

Humans cannot be infected with FIV

kylith wrote: »
    Actually, I’m amazed with the number of cat owners, and apparent lovers, on here advocating what I would call cruelty by recommending that people spray them with the hose. If I were to catch anyone spraying my dog with a hose for any reason I’d go through them, and to hear people recommend that others do that to their pets is mind boggling. If I had to resort to telling my neighbours to use such a strong adversive I'd have to re-examine either my choice of pet, or my pet-keeping strategy.

I'm guessing it just seems like a lesser evil when they loko at the amount of vitriol on this thread, and see people suggesting we cull them or give them a boot up the hole etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Humans cannot be infected with FIV
    I know someone that got it. At least that's what we were told it was.

I'm guessing it just seems like a lesser evil when they loko at the amount of vitriol on this thread, and see people suggesting we cull them or give them a boot up the hole etc

:pac:
    I'd prefer to give you the boot up the hole over your cat.
    You let your pets **** everywhere you like and you hate humans, that's why you surround yourself with animals.:)

• Advertisement

Oh right...post 864 kind of implies it was you.

The "someone" in question was clearly lying to you :(

:pac:
    I'd prefer to give you the boot up the hole over your cat.
    You let your pets **** everywhere you like and you hate humans, that's why you surround yourself with animals.:)

Oh dear, did you fall and hit your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

FIV isn't zoonotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We need to cull the little fûckers.

All the mad cat people will cry and possibly kill themselves. No great loss.

It would be glorious.

You sound as though you have 'issues', have you stopped taking any prescription medication lately? Maybe you could benefit from some psychiatric treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

kylith wrote: »
    Actually, I’m amazed with the number of cat owners, and apparent lovers, on here advocating what I would call cruelty by recommending that people spray them with the hose. If I were to catch anyone spraying my dog with a hose for any reason I’d go through them, and to hear people recommend that others do that to their pets is mind boggling. If I had to resort to telling my neighbours to use such a strong adversive I'd have to re-examine either my choice of pet, or my pet-keeping strategy.

QFT. Only scumbags living in trailers/****hole estates do that to their own pets.

Never, ever, ever spray your cat especially with water. Even slapping them is better than that.... but then again, slapping a cat never works and is always just bad. Slapping a dog might do some good some time, however I grew out of and above that sort of abuse since I was about 11 when I knew better. I saw my dog put his head low and close his eyes waiting for a slap and it made me melt inside I never did it again (anyway our dog did far worse to me than I ever did to him when he attacked me and gave me scabs on my back for weeks about the same time, which I covered up for him).

Law of the jungle may be understandable to an extent if another animal is invading on your territory, but to do some type of abuse to your OWN pets when they can't fight back is extremely disgusting and shows deep-rooted psychological problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

Some saying I remember seeing somewhere , "A dog thinks your its master , cat's think they are your master "
    In saying that now I would love to own a cat , there just like tiny tigers haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I used to farm cats and let me tell you, their eggs don't taste anywhere near as chocolatey as they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

You sound as though you have 'issues', have you stopped taking any prescription medication lately? Maybe you could benefit from some psychiatric treatment.

No, but thank you for your concern. Genuinely.

Seems a common trait in lonely cat hoarders, being nosey. Since we're dishing out the medical advice, may I suggest that you stop trying to fill the void of love in your life with the reluctant affection of a cat.

I'm glad I could help you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Meow. Saucer of milk for table 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dolliepop

It's just cats aid that do this. The DSPCA are pretty much useless unless you can trap the cat and bring it to them, in which case the cat must be surrendered so that they can "neuter and rehome" or should that be "neuter and rehome provided there isn't an outbreak of cat flu resulting in all the cats being euthanaised" :(

Actually they don't euthanaise cats for having cat flu, they treat them and send them out to foster. If its a Feral cat they neuter and release it. The ambulance drivers can drop a cat trap out to someone to catch the cat if they need it and they will set it up. Please get your facts straight before you accuse shelters of things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Brendan Mason

Not a day goes by where my grandmother doesn't threaten to drown every cat on her farm. What is it with Irish people and drowning cats..

Cats are the Brits of the Animal Kingdom.

Are you not aware of this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Edz87 wrote: »

What?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Edz87 wrote: »

wrong bulldogs are brits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smoking gun

Anyone ever notice the more cats a woman has,the crazier she is?

Just an opinion.

But its true.

We have a prick of a big tom cat and when he is trying to get in, he does this really low pitched whine outside our bedroom window.Non stop.Could be at any time.I'd nearly swear he was trying some sort of hypnosis.I read somewhere that they can imitate a child crying and they know the human brain will act on it and help them out.(Thats how sly they are.)

Not me though.

I got him one night with some furniture polish into the kisser just as he was nearly in.Sprayed the hoor good,right into the kisser.Made sure herself was asleep though.He ran off like a fookin panther with his tail on fire.Big ugly bolli*

Really dont like their sneaky ways.Give me a dog anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Anyone ever notice the more cats a woman has,the crazier she is?

Just an opinion.

But its true.

We have a prick of a big tom cat and when he is trying to get in, he does this really low pitched whine outside our bedroom window.Non stop.Could be at any time.I'd nearly swear he was trying some sort of hypnosis.I read somewhere that they can imitate a child crying and they know the human brain will act on it and help them out.(Thats how sly they are.)

Not me though.

I got him one night with some furniture polish into the kisser just as he was nearly in.Sprayed the hoor good,right into the kisser.Made sure herself was asleep though.He ran off like a fookin panther with his tail on fire.Big ugly bolli*

Really dont like their sneaky ways.Give me a dog anytime.

You are an ass..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smoking gun

charlemont wrote: »
    You are an ass..

Why,because I dont like cats and I like to get some sleep?

What would you do?

Let him into the bed with ya and spoon him?

You are a flake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Why,because I dont like cats and I like to get some sleep?

What would you do?

Let him into the bed with ya and spoon him?

You are a flake.

What you did wrong was shacking up with a crazy ass cat lover.

No offence but anybody who loves or seeks affection for such a selfish conniving evil abomination has issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I can't believe this attitude, so animal cruelty is ok against cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's just cats aid that do this. The DSPCA are pretty much useless unless you can trap the cat and bring it to them, in which case the cat must be surrendered so that they can "neuter and rehome" or should that be "neuter and rehome provided there isn't an outbreak of cat flu resulting in all the cats being euthanaised" :(

They are trying to raise money and awareness to improve conditions for feral cats.
    http://www.ispca.ie/ispca_spaydrive/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I can't believe this attitude, so animal cruelty is ok against cats?

No. Just neuter them all so that in 20 year we can live in a cat free environment.*

*this should give sufficient time to allow scientists to develop the house owl (tm) as a mouse catching replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'd rather have a cat than a person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What have cats ever done for us?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'd rather have a cat than a person

Thats what a lot of crazy women keep telling themselves. ;)

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    What have cats ever done for us?

They catch vermin, provide comfort and have been shown to be somewhat therapeutic in cases of depression.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement